The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Federer's thoughts on WTF: considers Murray a major threat - barely mentions Nadal

+2
sirfredperry
eraldeen
6 posters

Go down

Federer's thoughts on WTF: considers Murray a major threat - barely mentions Nadal Empty Federer's thoughts on WTF: considers Murray a major threat - barely mentions Nadal

Post by eraldeen Mon 14 Nov 2011, 9:08 am

http://www.espn.co.uk/tennis/sport/story/121264.html?CMP=OTC-RSS

Rog expects Murray to be big trouble at this years WTF, while he sees Djokovic as tired but possibly a strong contender with the time he has to recover for it. He briefly mentions the other guys as possible "Davydenko's" this year, then mentions Nadal as an afterthought.

Mindgames? Piling on the pressure on Murray is a clever ploy methinks. Underestimating Nadal? Dismissing him with a one liner "tough customer" comment is genius.

Discuss.

eraldeen

Back to top Go down

Federer's thoughts on WTF: considers Murray a major threat - barely mentions Nadal Empty Re: Federer's thoughts on WTF: considers Murray a major threat - barely mentions Nadal

Post by sirfredperry Mon 14 Nov 2011, 9:14 am

Well Rafa has hardly set the WTFs alight, has he. Usually so cream-crackered that he's not been able to play his best. Besides, his indoor record is not great. Last year he looked a good bet until Murray wore him out in the semi. This year he has the DC final to worry about. Having said all that, never a good idea to write him off for any tournament.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Federer's thoughts on WTF: considers Murray a major threat - barely mentions Nadal Empty Re: Federer's thoughts on WTF: considers Murray a major threat - barely mentions Nadal

Post by eraldeen Mon 14 Nov 2011, 9:31 am

I copied this from MTF. Nice forum.

eraldeen

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Mon 14 Nov 2011, 9:51 am

It's a perfectly sensible guarded assessment - he's not righting anyone off, and he's drawing such distinctions between the entrants as current form makes prudent without giving them cause to be 'up for it' against him.

What else do you say about Nadal whose indoor form has been poor and who hasn't played a competitive match in a month?
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by eraldeen Mon 14 Nov 2011, 9:52 am

Think Nads will never win WTF. Like Borg never won USO. Sampras never won RG.

eraldeen

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Mon 14 Nov 2011, 10:42 am

This is what Federer said taken from the link

"I don't feel like five, six, seven, and eight have no chance,"
commented Federer. "I definitely think they have a chance to go deep,
like it was in the year with Juan Martin del Potro and Nikolay Davydenko
making the finals.

"Fish and Djokovic at this point look a little bit weary. But then
again, I think with a week's break everything can heal and they are
maybe going to be in top shape.

"I do believe if Djokovic is fit, and Murray fit as well, which it seems
like he is, they are also going to be difficult to beat.

"And Rafa, regardless how he is going to be, he is always a tough customer. So I think it is going to be a really good World
Championships."

eraldeen

I'm not sure I agree with your assessment that Federer is being dismissive about Nadals chances at WTF. In fact he is saying that he always tough. Not surprising as he is...

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Mon 14 Nov 2011, 11:16 am

Really can't see that Fed is dismissing Rafa's prospects here.

If you read the full quote in hawkeye's post, well it tells me that - whoever wins it - Fed could legitimately say afterwards "see, i did warn you "

I'd say the real point is that the only player not mentioned in Fed's assessment above is .... er ..... himself .... Cool

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by Calder106 Mon 14 Nov 2011, 11:58 am

Can't see anything in what Federer says that surprises me. Don't think he is playing mind games. To say if Djokovic or Murray are fit that they would be difficult to beat. I wouldn't expect him to say anything else. Sure if Djokovic, Nadal or Murray were interviewed they would say something similar although as lags72 says they might mention where their fitness is just now. Federer doesn't need to do that at present we have all seen that over the last two weeks.
Sometimes we can try to read too much into straight forward comments.

Calder106

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down