The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Luke Donald - the most amazing stat in golf?

+15
Maverick
No1yankee
Davie
Mercurio
JAS
George1507
kwinigolfer
drive4show
KeizoYamata
barragan
super_realist
Diggers
MustPuttBetter
navyblueshorts
theeldestboy
19 posters

Go down

Luke Donald - the most amazing stat in golf? Empty Luke Donald - the most amazing stat in golf?

Post by theeldestboy Mon 14 Nov 2011 - 13:24

Sorry if this one has been posted before, but even if it has it's worth repeating.

Luke Donald recently went on a streak of 449 holes - yes, 449 holes - without a 3-putt.

clap Shocked
theeldestboy
theeldestboy

Back to top Go down

Luke Donald - the most amazing stat in golf? Empty Re: Luke Donald - the most amazing stat in golf?

Post by theeldestboy Mon 14 Nov 2011 - 13:26

My mates and i (all 8-11 handicap) played the other day and we counted the best streak without a 3-putt. The best was 4 holes. And we were happy with that!
theeldestboy
theeldestboy

Back to top Go down

Luke Donald - the most amazing stat in golf? Empty Re: Luke Donald - the most amazing stat in golf?

Post by navyblueshorts Mon 14 Nov 2011 - 13:26

That's some statistic when you think about it isn't it? Now, if I could putt like that.....
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Mon 14 Nov 2011 - 13:33

A one hole streak would do me!!!
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by theeldestboy Mon 14 Nov 2011 - 13:33

navyblueshorts wrote:That's some statistic when you think about it isn't it? Now, if I could putt like that.....

It is when you consider the greens that he plays week-in-week-out, the speed they and the break they have. Of course, it's in part it's because of his fantastic apprach play (1st in rank for short approaches) and in part because of his brilliant putting.

I wonder if the Open was in that streak? That would make it even more impressive given the greens at RSG and the conditions he played it in!
theeldestboy
theeldestboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 14 Nov 2011 - 13:35

Amazing stat, though funnily enough wasnt his next streak about 8 holes or something.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 14 Nov 2011 - 13:36

Not to mention the pin positions too eldest, however I'm not that surprised considering how good his approach shots are.

Out of interest 449 holes is equal to almost 29 rounds or 6.25 tournaments.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Mon 14 Nov 2011 - 13:37

outstanding [though he's obviously not being agressive enough with his putter!]

what's his average putts per hole / per round?

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by KeizoYamata Mon 14 Nov 2011 - 13:55

No that is not the most amazing stat in golf

KeizoYamata

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Mon 14 Nov 2011 - 13:59

Please tell us what is then keizo.

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by KeizoYamata Mon 14 Nov 2011 - 14:05

drive4show wrote:Please tell us what is then keizo.

If you mean this year it would be I guess as I have not seen anything special from anyone else. I was referring to other years

KeizoYamata

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 14 Nov 2011 - 14:07

KeizoYamata wrote:

If you mean this year it would be I guess as I have not seen anything special from anyone else. I was referring to other years

Jack's major wins, Faxon's putting stats, Phil's short game......

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 14 Nov 2011 - 14:10

Luke Donald's streak extended from Firestone to Disney. So that wouldn't cover The Open and also excludes European Tour events.

By far (by about 100 holes) the longest streak since the stat started to be recorded.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Mon 14 Nov 2011 - 14:14

There's a book I read by Johnny Miller where he said that in 1976 (I think that was the year) he played 14 tournaments without a three putt (that streak included the Masters) and the first putt he left short of the hole IN THE ENTIRE YEAR to that point was in the US Open, in June.

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Mon 14 Nov 2011 - 19:56

Before last weekend I had gone 75 holes without 3 putting....was so happy with that that yep....I 3 putted the first last weekend. This weekend I 3 putted the 10th
Sat I've now gone 28 holes without a 3 putt.

Having said that I hit nowhere near as many greens in reg as Luke.

Must admit I'm really curious as to what KY thinks is an impressive stat if he thinks 449 holes without a 3 putt isn't.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by KeizoYamata Mon 14 Nov 2011 - 20:14

I posted the best stats but It seems somehow it mysteriously

My top 4 golf stats

Byron Nelsons 11 wins in a row
Tigers 66 consecutive rounds at par or better
Tigers 144 consecutive cuts
Jacks 18 majors

Only one that has the chance to be broken is Jacks, the rest forget it.

KeizoYamata

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Mon 14 Nov 2011 - 20:21

KeizoYamata wrote:

Comedy genius if meant but I doubt it.

Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by KeizoYamata Mon 14 Nov 2011 - 20:39

Mercurio wrote:
KeizoYamata wrote:

clap

Nothing to doubt twas my intention.

KeizoYamata

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon 14 Nov 2011 - 20:42

Your post mysteriously disappeared? A pound to a penny says you fscked up and you never made the post in the first place

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Mon 14 Nov 2011 - 21:06

KeizoYamata wrote:
Mercurio wrote:
KeizoYamata wrote:

clap

Nothing to doubt twas my intention.

The genius being what, then?

Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by No1yankee Mon 14 Nov 2011 - 21:48

KeizoYamata wrote:

My top 4 golf stats

Jacks 18 majors

I'm going to agree with keizo and say that those stats are better than Luke's putting stat.

No1yankee

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Mon 14 Nov 2011 - 21:53

Extremely impressive stat on the putting front.

In Keizos mind luke could break all the above stats and still be a failure

What's the weather like on planet keizo these days or are they now confining you to the psyche ward? No well maybe they should

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by No1yankee Mon 14 Nov 2011 - 22:02

Maverick wrote:Extremely impressive stat on the putting front.

What's the weather like on planet keizo these days or are they now confining you to the psyche ward? No well maybe they should
I think himself and simba are in the same paycho ward.

No1yankee

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Mon 14 Nov 2011 - 22:07

George1507 wrote:There's a book I read by Johnny Miller where he said that in 1976 (I think that was the year) he played 14 tournaments without a three putt (that streak included the Masters) and the first putt he left short of the hole IN THE ENTIRE YEAR to that point was in the US Open, in June.
He would say that...

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Mon 14 Nov 2011 - 22:11

Johnny Miller would claim he taught jesus how to turn water into wine if he. Could somehow twist the words in the bible without offending half of the god centric US golfers.

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Mon 14 Nov 2011 - 22:18

Maybe, who is to know? I watched him a few times in the 1970s and I've never seen anyone hit the ball as straight as he did. When Tom Weiskopf won the Open at Troon in 1973, he played a couple of times with Miller. Weiskopf hit it further, but Johnny Miller hit it straight. No draw, no fade, every shot dead on line, every iron shot straight at the pin. If you hit it that straight, then you can't be far away if you have the right club in your hand. Maybe that's why he didn't three putt.

His putting was very aggressive - he gave it a chance every time. Seve said he was the best putter he'd ever seen after the Open in 1976.

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 15 Nov 2011 - 0:26

Agree with most of the comments on Miller's revisionist history, but his ball-striking can never be doubted.
Most remarkable thing I've ever seen of him (except for when his mouth was shut) was him hitting long irons LEFT-handed. TV showed a video of him, I think on the Harbour Town range one year, striping it. Just incredible.

(PS: How many world-class putters had Seve seen in 1976?)

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by theeldestboy Tue 15 Nov 2011 - 5:06

Maverick wrote:Extremely impressive stat on the putting front.

Yes, how rude of me it to post an impressive stat about an Englishman when we have xenophobes like Keizo on the boards. As you say Mav, Luke could smash every record in golf, but he'll still be an Englishman so couldn't possibly be considered great.

To fair, Luke's record isn't that impressive; he is, after all, by far the best golfer in the world and ranked number 1 by a country mile. We should expect astonishing stats like 449 holes without a 3 putt from such a brilliant player.

What makes Tiger's feats seem so impressive today is that they were achieved by someone now ranked 50th in the world (and sliding), who at times plays like he only took the game up a few months ago.

Keizo, i notice that you are strangely silent on my other thread, where we using real facts, not subjection, to look at the weaker areas of Tiger's game. No thoughts mate?

Bait set Run
theeldestboy
theeldestboy

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 15 Nov 2011 - 13:12

theeldestboy wrote:My mates and i (all 8-11 handicap) played the other day and we counted the best streak without a 3-putt. The best was 4 holes. And we were happy with that!

lol i doubt it somehow.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 15 Nov 2011 - 13:15

2nd most impressive stat for this year was donalds 68.03 final day average.

3rd most impressive stat would be donalds pitching 100 to 125 yards.

but anyway- most impressive stats of all time id say tigers average during many years of 68.5 or whatever for all rounds. i dont think anyone else has ever broken 69 in a year.

most imprssive putting stats of all time are donalds this year- no one has come within 200!!!!

its seriuosly impressive

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by jeffkenna Tue 15 Nov 2011 - 13:45

449 holes without a 3 putt- incredible.

hell I'd be happy with 449 SECONDS ....... and that's with a slow pace of play!!

jeffkenna

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Tue 15 Nov 2011 - 13:46

KeizoYamata wrote:

My top 4 golf stats

Jacks 18 majors

Who do you think has the best chance to break Jack's record then Keizo?...now that Tiger is playing crap

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down