The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour: Presidents Cup / Q-Schools etc: Notes from the Ballwasher

+19
Maverick
NedB-H
raycastleunited
Davie
John Cregan
Leff
ScottieD18
hend085
princedracula
Skydriver
Lairdy
McLaren
venice1
Doc
KeizoYamata
puligny
Shotrock
super_realist
kwinigolfer
23 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

PGA Tour: Presidents Cup / Q-Schools etc: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 5 Empty PGA Tour: Presidents Cup / Q-Schools etc: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 15 Nov 2011, 12:43 pm

First topic message reminder :

1).For the first time since 2003 the American Prsidents Cup Team will have to use their passports and there is every prospect of an exciting "Cup" this week at Royal Melbourne, hopefully with a little touch of needle and a partisan crowd. Presidents Cups have often resembled exhibitions and that's exactly what we don't want this week.

2).Both teams must take some comfort from last week's tournaments in Japan, Singapore and Sydney with good results from Woods, Watney and Watson, plus Baddeley, Day, Ogilvy, Scott, Ishikawa and Schwartzel. Mahan and Stricker have declared themselves fit and rarin' to go, so the stage is set for a thriller.

3).Who's going to win? On paper you'd have to go with Team USA especially bolstered by Woods' good form at The Lakes. The International Team pay the price for a qualifying system that rewards players for 2010 form even if they stunk the joint up these past few months - Exhibit "A" being Goosen who has fallen from the World's Top 20 just three months ago, now languishing with team-mates Allenby and Els outside the Top 50, Baddeley, Ishikawa and Yang not much better in the 40's. In contrast, only Furyk and Woods of the Americans lie outside the Top 22.

4).But the Americans have ridden homefield advantage to straightforward wins while coming up short in their only two journeys abroad: 1998's thumping in Australia and 2003's twilight tie in South Africa. This is a very big deal for Greg Norman, presumably much more so than for Couples, and his Team is as Melbourne-centric as he could get. In 1998, Appleby, Elkington, Norman and Parry finished 10 - 1 - 3 in their matches on their way to a resounding win and if Shark's homeboys don't do something similar, I don't see Goosen, Els and Ishikawa (the only three Internationals with a winning PC record) rescuing them.

5).Most of us let our heart rule our head when it comes to Team events and I'm expecting the poor recent form of Furyk, Kuchar, Mickelson and Toms, plus the inexperience of some American rookies to be beaten to the post by Greg Norman's ability to galvanize his Team. He'll need Ogilvy and Scott to lead from the front and better form than they've shown previously from senior players like Allenby, Choi and Els. But in Baddeley, Ishikawa and K-t Kim, Shark may have the three best putters in the event, hopefully trump cards.

6).What of Woods? He looked good at The Lakes; even when he was piling up bogeys on Saturday, his form wasn't as bad as his score. Arguably only ring-rust prevented him from winning the tournament and I expect him to justify his selection this week - apart from anything else, Couples needs Tiger's experience. I agree with selecting Woods over Keegan Bradley, just not announcing it months in advance. Whatever happens this week, expect Tiger to reassert himself at his Chevron benefit and then embark on a Masters-oriented schedule early next year, hoipefully adding an event (Riviera?) to his normal schedule.

7).Whatever the golfers do in the coming week, expect the real star of the show to be Royal Melbourne's "composite" course. The course will play relatively short (about 7,000 yards), but positioning of the tee shot is crucial to being able to shoot at the pin (very Harbour Town in that regard), and the famous bunkering will get lots of action. Geoff Ogilvy's perceptive comments about golf and golfcourses belie his apparently laid-back, nonchalant on-course demeanour, and he once defined a great course design and set-up as one which the very best players found "relatively easy" while lesser players "found it really difficult" (his description of Southern Hills at the 2007 PGA).
When he talks about Royal Melbourne in GolfWorld, "I must have played the course thousands of times, but I can't wait to get back. It really is a special place.", you get the impression he hopes to navigate it successfully while others with less familiarity of its nuances find it very tricky.

8).Just a word or two about John Daly. Yes, he behaved like an idiot in Sydney last week and he seems to have worn out his invariably warm Australian welcome. But, really, what did the Aussies expect; he's done it before and, given the chance, he'll doubtless do it again. Fortunately Tour comedian Jarrod Lyle had the last word by presenting Daly with a box of golfballs before the start of their round at a Monday Melbourne Pro-Am.

9).John Daly should be at Stage 2 PGA Tour Q-School this week with fellow Major Champions Duval, Beem, Janzen, Micheel and Hamilton. Not to mention erstwhile "Cuppers" Austin, Begay, Maggert, Weekley, Franco, Hensby and Lonard. Garcia-Heredia, Gronberg, Hafthorsson, Johnson, Owen and Fergal Rafferty are among the Europeans competing, while other surprising entries include Nathan Green and wonderkids of recent times Lovemark and Michael Sim. Barry Lane and Mark Mouland contest Champions Tour Final Stage Q-School.

10).Happy 30th Birthday today to Lorena Ochoa. And hearty congratulations to Catriona Matthew for winning last week's Lorena Ochoa Invitational in Guadalajara.

Last edited by kwinigolfer on Tue 15 Nov 2011, 12:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: Presidents Cup / Q-Schools etc: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 5 Empty Re: PGA Tour: Presidents Cup / Q-Schools etc: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 21 Nov 2011, 12:40 pm

Mac,
As I've said, I'm NOT making any excuses, I'm just saying what's the point of playing a "home" (not really of course) game if any perceived advantages are denied you?
Norman is just saying, "Let the home team select which goes first, foursomes or fourballs." It's thought to have been importantant enough in the past for RC Captains like Seve and Azinger to switch the order to their perceived advantage.
In this case, Norman was probably just trying to deflect the fact that his players (especially Ishikawa who Shark had to waste Ernie on) were unfamiliar with the course and he felt like playing one's own ball was a better form of acclimation that playing one's partner's ball.

My earlier analogy regarding Celtic and Rangers applies. Celtic would be pretty miffed if Rangers made choices for captain/manager etc for Celtic as well as Rangers.

Similarly for Team qualification. In this particular case there wouldn't have been much difference in who represented the Internationals - I know Sabbatini would have qualified and Baddeley too; perhaps one other, I put it in previous Notes, can't find that thread now, but I will.

Point is, the US Team is basically chosen on current form, the International Team on historic form. You wouldn't like that, and Olazabal wouldn't stand for it.

None of these are excuses for Norman's loss, not even reasons. But they DO highlight advantages, however slight, to the US Team and anything to level the playing field should be introduced asap. Otherwise, what's the point? Which is a different question and, right now, I don't think there is a point.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: Presidents Cup / Q-Schools etc: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 5 Empty Re: PGA Tour: Presidents Cup / Q-Schools etc: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by Tiler76 Mon 21 Nov 2011, 2:03 pm

Talking of advantages, or not, do the Internationals even benefit from playing outside the US? Most of them ply their trade on the PGA Tour anyway, so are more familiar with the US style courses. No doubt the US players were taken out of their comfort zone this week, but then it looked/sounded as though most of the Internationals were as well...

Tiler76

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 21 Nov 2011, 2:19 pm

I don't think there is any golfing point. Possibly for the US team a bit of RC practice.
Possibly there is a commercial point though ? Does it make money ?

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Mon 21 Nov 2011, 2:38 pm

There's no getting away from the fact that the americans won 8 of their 19 points from the 4somes alone with the Intern'ls edging it in the 4balls and singles.

I also think that playing full teams over the first two days was far more likely to yield extra points for the americans from a strength in depth perspective.

I also thought it a bit odd that the opening series was 4somes only. Quite apart from anything else, as a paying spectator, I would have felt a bit cheated at only be able to see the players play alternate shots. If you're going to play a 4somes format in these circumstances, then it ought to be part of a double series.

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 21 Nov 2011, 2:48 pm

Tiler,
Apart from the "away" match that took place in the US (in the 90's), nowhere was your point better exemplified than at Royal Montreal, where passports to enter Canada were necessary for eleven International players (i.e. everyone except Mike Weir), but not for any of the Americans who just needed Driving Licence I.D. (Rules now tightened up a little.)

Digs,
I'm sure it does make money but how much for anywhere except the U.S., i would question.

Great point gael,
But have to say that the US Media can't stand the option/necessity of "sitting" a player down, let alone four. So lots of pressure for all players to play most of the time.
As an aside, it is very probable that the US would have lost at Kiawah if all players had had to play every match.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 21 Nov 2011, 2:48 pm

I don't know Gael, I'd have happily parted with twice the money to see Woods get gubbed 7&6 like he did.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 21 Nov 2011, 3:06 pm

Must take great mental strength to come back from that pasting to be comfortably the best player in the singles. But thats Woods for you.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 21 Nov 2011, 3:12 pm

Or mental weakness to suffer such an ignominious series of defeats with partners, but to get it altogether for oneself?

With Tiger, there'll always be that nagging concern that it's all about Tiger.

First editorial comment beginning to trickle in about Woods playing Abu Dhabi instead of San Diego - GolfWorld is quoting Chubbers as say the appearance fee for #51 is $2M. Surprised it's not more.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 21 Nov 2011, 3:33 pm

Im sure you are right Kwini. But I dont care about the team side either in golf so Id rather he was focussed on himself. I think over the years a few English players could have been a bit more all about me and maybe they would have picked up a major or 3.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 21 Nov 2011, 3:39 pm

Maybe Diggers, but I'd rather believe that too many English golfers (Donald an exception) are more interested in their total income (endorsements, appearance fees, rinky-dink events) rather than the golfing income that comes with excellence on course.

Whichever way you cut it, Woods has proved himself capable of a comeback in 2012, perhaps only if he actually gets himself as tournament-hardened as he says he needs to be. Unfortunately no sign yet of matching deeds with words.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Mon 21 Nov 2011, 5:06 pm

Diggers, I suspect you are right.

If you are going to be the top golfer, much less make a living at professional golf, you have no choice to but to excel at individual medal play.

Nutty to suggest that Tiger doesn't try as hard in fourballs and foursomes play. Here's my take: he didn't play well enough to win the matches he lost!

Interesting that Norman, when pressed on Sunday, still said he would have selected Bradley over Woods. Think your ego is getting in the way there Greg? Maybe all along he was simply trying to get Freddie to pick anyone other than Woods - It sure would have helped Norman's cause in the singles' matches.

Should be a fun year with Tiger firing on more, if not all, cylinders. Will Luke finally bag a major? Will an Aussie win at Augusta? Will some of the US young guns - Watney, Fowler, Simpson, Johnson - grab a major? Will the US win the Ryder Cup? Should be some fun viewing.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 21 Nov 2011, 5:34 pm

Shotrock,
Who would you pick in your Ryder Cup Team?
I'm thinking this past week will have been an excellent rehearsal for the U.S., Freddie doing DLIII's dirty work for him.
Possibly Fowler and Bradley to be added to the mix somehow, and there's always a surprise package, Kevin Chappell, Anthony Kim, Sneds?

PS: Will some of the US young guns - Fowler - grab a tournament?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 21 Nov 2011, 5:36 pm

Is Webb Simpson a young gun? He looks about 40. He should pray harder.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 21 Nov 2011, 5:42 pm

Must admit, Webb Simpson is coming across as a bit too preppy for my liking; horrendous photos and cover article about him recently in GolfWorld.

He seemed a much nicer feller the times I've followed him when he was just another golfer, before "America" discovered him.

Still only 26 and his real names are James Frederick. Fancy having a son, christening him James Frederick and calling him Webb. Makes perfect sense, divine intervention intervened!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 21 Nov 2011, 5:47 pm

Perhaps its a tribute to another god botherer Harry Webb, aka Cliff Richard.
I must say that being a religious zealot is one of the most irritating character traits a person can have, and a good enough reason to support anyone who plays against him. I've no problem if they have a faith, although I think its pathetic, but they should keep it to themselves.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Mon 21 Nov 2011, 7:01 pm

Kwin - Not sure who I would select for the Ryder Cup. Too early to go out on a limb. I sure would like to see Anthony Kim come back to some form. Never a fan of Fowler's "handsy" transition at the top (like GMacs), and I think he'll need to work on that if he ever wants to win regularly at this level. Furyk showed me something this past week. He looked just terrible early summer.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon 21 Nov 2011, 7:57 pm

Why was Fowler not in the Pres cup? Did he miss out automatic qualification or was he otherwise unavailable?

If he didn't qualify automatically for the Ryder cup he'd certainly be a good shout for a wild card

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 21 Nov 2011, 8:27 pm

Not qualified, missed by a surprisingly large margin, too busy bonking Olin Browne's daughter apparently.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 21 Nov 2011, 8:27 pm

They wouldn't let him wear his laughable clown suit, so he didn't play. Laugh

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon 21 Nov 2011, 8:32 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Not qualified, missed by a surprisingly large margin, too busy bonking Olin Browne's daughter apparently.

Interesting thanks. I just checked PD's OGWR post and he's something like #29 in the world - something like 11 or 12 in the USA rankings? Was he much lower at the cut off point?

Surely he must've come into consideration for a wild card pick (outrageous outfits notwithstanding)

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 21 Nov 2011, 8:35 pm

I think his solitary professional win came too late to give him enough qualification points and he didn't have many other good results during the year compared to his direct competition for places.

I doubt he's busy "bonking" either, I think he's like one of those happy clappy Jonas Brothers isn't he?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 21 Nov 2011, 8:36 pm

Yes, he's won an event in the Far East since then, South Korea?, which rocketted him up from the high 40's/low 50's into the twenties.
Play during the season wasn't even good enough to qualify for the Tour Championship (top 30 FedEx points-getters).

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 21 Nov 2011, 9:19 pm

Would imagine there can't be more than at most a couple of players younger than Fowler ahead of him in the rankings. Can only think of Rory off the top of my head.
I think he'll have a good year in 2012.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5