The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Further problems at the Blues

Go down

Further problems at the Blues Empty Further problems at the Blues

Post by wales606 Tue 15 Nov 2011, 8:45 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/15747951.stm

bbc wrote:Gethin Jenkins issues Cardiff Blues contract warning

The 30-year-old's Blues contract is set to expire at the end of this season.

Jenkins, regarded as one of the world's best loosehead props, admits he could join Welsh international team-mates James Hook and Mike Phillips in France.

"France is a viable option if it is the right move for me, there is a lot to consider rugby wise," said two-times Lions tourist Jenkins.

"Like whether you can play out there and play for Wales."

"I will consider everything. I am 30 so you never know how long you have got left."

Jenkins starred in Wales' memorable run to the World Cup semi-finals and has just started his eighth season with the Blues following his 2004 move from the defunct Celtic Warriors.

The 82-times capped Welshman has made 116 Blues appearances but missed much of last season because of toe and calf injuries, problems that threatened his World Cup chances.

Jenkins, who celebrates his 31st birthday on Thursday, is in the final year of his current deal and has made it clear he wants a resolution on where he will be playing his rugby next season.

"I have always extended my contract before it has come towards the end so this is a new experience for me," he said.

"I want to get it sorted sooner rather than later, to get it sewn up so I know what I am doing and I can plan things around it.

"My agent is working hard, speaking to the club and I am just waiting for answers. At the moment there is nothing on the table.

"I am out of contract at the end of the season so I need to play as well as I can and see what happens.

"I will see what the Blues have to offer, nothing has been said yet about what's happening off the field so I have to concentrate on what happens on the field."

There is uncertainty at the Blues as the coaching team of Gareth Baber and Justin Burnell are only in caretaker roles following the departure of Dai Young to Wasps.

Several Wales stars have made the move to the French Top 14 league this season as Hook, Lee Byrne and Phillips left the Ospreys for Perpignan, Clermont Auvergne and Bayonne respectively.

Why on earth the Blues havent been doing everything to keep his availability under-wraps I dont know. Public statements like this are putting more pressure on the Blues to sort things out behind the scenes.

Peter Thomas should be feeling the pressure, if the budget wont let us keep our best players even with the loss of most of the experienced players at the end of the season then we really will be in worse trouble next season.

Doh

Sad
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down