The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How! Cricket's losses

4 posters

Go down

How! Cricket's losses Empty How! Cricket's losses

Post by Manitou Fri 28 Jan 2011, 4:38 pm

How!
Many counties are losing money and large sums. We know that Kent and Leicestershire have serious problems and now Lancashire have announced a 2 million pound loss, with Middlesex due to announce losses too.
How much longer can this continue before a county goes bust and which is likely to be the first? Sad

Manitou

Back to top Go down

How! Cricket's losses Empty Re: How! Cricket's losses

Post by Guest Fri 28 Jan 2011, 4:39 pm

Welcome!

You;ve posted this in the 'Introduce Yourself' section!

I'll move it to the cricket section for you! Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Fri 28 Jan 2011, 5:22 pm

if a county goes bust it is likely to be Derbyshire or Gloucestershire tbh both usually struggle in div 2 and do not host (Gloucestershire dont hold many anymore) international cricket matches.

Would catagorise Somerset in this area usually with costs of new stadium etc however they do well in the leagues play abroad in the tournaments (Carribien 2020, champions league) and then play a large amount of youth players they developed so dont have to pay large salaries in this aspect.

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave. Fri 28 Jan 2011, 5:27 pm

What would be the difference in standard between the top minor counties and the bottom first class counties?

Dave.

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Fri 28 Jan 2011, 5:41 pm

Dave wrote:What would be the difference in standard between the top minor counties and the bottom first class counties?

there is still a decent gap between them, however the minor counties need to pay far less and are at less risk of going dud i would say

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by Manitou Sun 30 Jan 2011, 10:50 pm

Thanks King an sorry I posted in the wrong thread.
One reason why so many counties are loosing money is the very high wages they all pay now.
Either wages need to be reduced, perhaps large second eleven staffs, or the ECB needs to get a lot more from Sky. They might be able to afford a bit more now Andy Grays gone.

Manitou

Back to top Go down

Post by chewy200 Mon 31 Jan 2011, 6:02 pm

The reason Gloucestershire (my county, for my sins) are struggling is that they have committed to extending the ground so that it can hold test matches, as well as ODIs and T20s (we normally get one a summer) in the future, which costs a lot of money. As a result, we currently have no money for playing staff, haence the exodus at the end of this season, and will consequently see declining results, interest and therefore revenues until we get some more money. Of course, this may prove to be just a couple of lean years until we get a larger stream of revenue through from a test match every other summer, but to hold tests in england now looks like a very competitive environment. As a supporter, I have to ask whether we are really coming to the party too late as the tenth ground to be capable of holding tests, and whether we should have just stuck to the ODIs etc. They say the grass is always greener on the other side, well it certainly looks greener atm when I look to Somerset, who haven't tried to develop their ground to the same extent, and are currently flying high in playing terms.

chewy200

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down