The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

what would Roger Federer prefer next season?

+7
lydian
yloponom68
noleisthebest
laverfan
Tenez
Manojchandra
CAS
11 posters

Go down

what would Roger Federer prefer next season? Empty what would Roger Federer prefer next season?

Post by CAS Fri 02 Dec 2011, 8:53 pm

Win the Olympic Gold in singles and the Davis Cup, or win another Grand Slam?

I think its quite an interesting one, nothing is bigger than winning a grand slam in tennis but the other two achievements are the two things that are missing from his CV.

I don't think the Olympics and Davis Cup are the most important events in the life of a tennis player and winning another major would push him to one other record he wants, being World Number 1 the longest, however winning Davis Cup and Olympic Gold will make him unqestionably the most decorated athlete of all time.

What would he pick if he had the choice?

CAS

Back to top Go down

what would Roger Federer prefer next season? Empty Re: what would Roger Federer prefer next season?

Post by Manojchandra Fri 02 Dec 2011, 9:00 pm

Olympics, without any doubt methinks.

Manojchandra

Back to top Go down

what would Roger Federer prefer next season? Empty Re: what would Roger Federer prefer next season?

Post by Tenez Fri 02 Dec 2011, 9:04 pm

GS, without the shadow of a doubt.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Fri 02 Dec 2011, 9:13 pm

OG and slam, both, would be even better.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 02 Dec 2011, 10:48 pm

A slam, without a shadow..

The other two are small fry in comparison.

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri 02 Dec 2011, 11:00 pm

I think he'd definitely like another slam, that's the sweetest thing you can win in tennis, ideally Wimbledon.
Next one would be the Olympic gold but I don't think he'd care about it as much as another slam.

With Nole it's the other way round, although he's already won a bronze medal in Beijing.

Last edited by noleisthebest on Fri 02 Dec 2011, 11:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Manojchandra Fri 02 Dec 2011, 11:00 pm

After his performance at WTF in 2010, I did have visions of a GS until AO. I too would love that, but sadly that is near impossible. Hope I am wrong.

Manojchandra

Back to top Go down

Post by yloponom68 Sat 03 Dec 2011, 8:02 pm

Unquestionably a Major singles title. Albeit winning either Olympic Singles Gold or the Davis Cup, would be a welcome achievment for Federer, it's the "head count" on Major Singles titles that interests him.

Lacking a Davis Cup or Olympic singles gold, would only sway the argument for another player, if they come within one or two Majors of his tally.

So far, that's safe - but he'd dearly love to put one more at least, onto his Major "account."

yloponom68

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Sat 03 Dec 2011, 10:33 pm

Another SW19 would tie him with Sampras.
Another USO would pull him ahead of Sampras and Connors
How much would Roger love to win a French by beating Nadal en-route?
Another AO would pull him ahead of Agassi
OG would fill the only major title he hasnt got...but at least he's already got doubles Gold.
DC would be nice but he's never taken DC v.seriously in past...

So...which out of all those. What would give him most satisfaction?
I'd go for beating Nadal at FO...some might argue its been THE toughest challenge in modern tennis.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Sat 03 Dec 2011, 10:44 pm

I think you're right lydian. I really thought he was going to beat Nadal at the French open this year when he came so close to taking the first set. For me that was the biggest disappointment of the year.

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sat 03 Dec 2011, 10:52 pm

Beating Nadal in FO would be a 1 week happy hour and go away.
OG and and any other GS wold be more than that.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Sat 03 Dec 2011, 11:22 pm

Indeed Bit5, that mis-timed drop shot at 5-2 eh?
I kind of feel that may have been Federer's best chance as I really dont think Nadal was near his usual form during FO this year and yet he still won it!
Just shows how hard he is to beat at Roland Garros!

I'm not so sure Jahu...perhaps but wont there always be those distractors who say he never won FO without beating its main challenge in the same era he was competing.
As I say, if he could beat Nadal I think people would remember that win much longer than a OG win.
Tennis legacy is as much about great matches as pure records - look at the Borg/McEnroe match - its the stuff of legend and for many defined both their careers even though they both won many other things.
Otherwise, for other GS's sure he would tie/beat other GS-held records as listed but do they mean that much to him when he has the most overall anyway? I personally dont think so.
My order would be 1) FO vs Nadal 2) OG 3) USO 4) SW19 5) AO ....6) Winning another FO without being Nadal.
Above all these I actually think he'd love the overall weeks at #1, and winning a GS/OGe would sure help there!
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sat 03 Dec 2011, 11:54 pm

Another SW19 would tie him with Sampras.
Another USO would pull him ahead of Sampras and Connors
How much would Roger love to win a French by beating Nadal en-route?
Another AO would pull him ahead of Agassi
-------------------
Yes those have to got to be Fed's most desired goals for next year. Imo, more than the slam count, it's the special record each of those slams could bring.

I think his preferred order would be:

1 - Wimbledon (always been his preferred slam).
2 - A second FO. I am sure he loves this slam and 1 title is not a fair reflexion of his clay skills. Beating Nadal on the way woudl be the icing on the cake, but I am sure Fed doesn't care much about that "detail".
3 - The AO - That woudl give him a min of 5 titles on 3 of the 4 slams! Simply unbeliavable!
4 - 6 USOs is better than 5 but I don;t think it is that improtant

I think adding slam to his 16 will be tough but each additional slam is likely to make his slam count out of reach to any future player. 16 slams already consists of winning all 4 slams for 4 years!

Look at Djoko for instance, he dominated this year H&S and won 3 slams, He'll have to reproduce that success for another 4 years to equal Rogers.

Tall order! I don't think the 16 slam record will be ever broken...much less so if he gets to 17 or 18. If it gets tough for him to add slams, it's likely it will be even harder for his successor chasing that record.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sat 03 Dec 2011, 11:55 pm

Lydian, I thought the OP was what would Federer prefer and not what distractors would say.

As to me personally, yes I agree with you that I would love to see Fed win in 3 over Nadal in FO.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sun 04 Dec 2011, 2:55 am

The fact is Roger would prefer everything Very Happy , like Lydian mentioned every tournament he enters has a value associated with it and he is guy who would love to win everything, and thats how its gonna be next year.

My prediction he gonna run on an invincible streak of close to 50 match [counting from the current 17 ], he gonna sweep the two masters[ Indian-wells and Miami] AO, Wimbledon , Rogers, Olympics and Basel .

Nadal might still win FO, Murray to win USO and WTF, will be a great year for Nole and Fed to be back as no.1 by wimbledon.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Sun 04 Dec 2011, 9:17 am

Agree the slam count is not an interest to him per se given he's just pushing the boat out further. For Roger its all about achievement and being seen to be the best player (I seriously think this motivates hm).

Its good we all have slightly different opinions to what he sees as important.

I agree beating 16 slams will be nigh on impossible, especially now that the courts have slowed making competition that more convergent and bruising.

We saw the run Djoko had this year, but to do that for years with that style is inconceivable and look at the effort it takes on todays circuit to do it, he's already spent after doing it...I dont think he could do it 2-3 more times, never mind once more!

Given the depth of competition with homogeniety its hard for Federer to win any more slams...I do think AO is his best chance personally (or OG given its grass and 3 sets).

Its going to be an interesting season coming up given everything thats happened in 2011... Bubbly

lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by erictheblueuk Sun 04 Dec 2011, 12:46 pm

He's already got an Olympic gold medal and he's pulled out of so many DC matches I can't belive it's a priority for him.
erictheblueuk
erictheblueuk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down