The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Temporary Greens

+14
Maverick
oldparwin
GWR-Golfer
links
raycastleunited
Lairdy
matelot golfer
Davie
super_realist
MustPuttBetter
George1507
gaelgowfer
Mintie12
danielanthonymartin
18 posters

Go down

Temporary Greens Empty Temporary Greens

Post by danielanthonymartin Wed 07 Dec 2011, 12:07 am

Played my first round this year on temporary greens this morning, nothing more annoying than turning up to find out there in play, but at the end of the day, its for the benefit of our play in the spring/summer

however, it got me thinking as i was playing, that perhaps temporary greens aren't the worst thing in the world, as its a smaller target, therefore helping improve your accuracy.

Thinking i might be spending more time on the course practicing than the range this winter

Just wanted to see whether any of you guys out there do the same thing or avoid temporary greens all together

danielanthonymartin

Back to top Go down

Temporary Greens Empty Re: Temporary Greens

Post by Mintie12 Wed 07 Dec 2011, 5:35 am

hi,
Precisely what think of them?
We only use them in frost however the are dreadful.
Small, lumpy, absolutely no fringe. Normally / annoying.

I might significantly would rather have a Six base circle and a 12 base group. Should you be inside the exterior one a person put A couple of photos and go forward. In the inner one a person put A single shot and also go forward.
Zero adding whatsoever needed.

The only feasible negative thing is which you cannot have a opening throughout One or even chips within. Nevertheless its wintertime, NQ golf. Nobody cares for you.
The biggest thing is that you are usually out there reaching golf balls!

Anyone?

Mintie12

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Wed 07 Dec 2011, 8:36 am

The only advantage to temporary greens are the seven inch holes. No bending as I can use my putter to pick the ball out of the hole.

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Wed 07 Dec 2011, 9:05 am

Mintie12 wrote:hi,

I might significantly would rather have a Six base circle and a 12 base group. Should you be inside the exterior one a person put A couple of photos and go forward. In the inner one a person put A single shot and also go forward.

The only feasible negative thing is which you cannot have a opening throughout One or even chips within. Nevertheless its wintertime, NQ golf. Nobody cares for you.

Anyone?

Erm

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Wed 07 Dec 2011, 9:26 am

I'm glad you said that George, i was thinking the exact same thing?!! Headscratch
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 07 Dec 2011, 9:27 am

I don't even bother putting on them, don't want to ruin stroke or distance control, just pick up and move on.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 07 Dec 2011, 9:42 am

Anyone?

I think we've got another illiterate on our hands. Is Max/Simba back under a pseudonym?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed 07 Dec 2011, 9:53 am

Or just someone for whom English isn't a first language perhaps?

Do you call all foreigners illiterate s_r?

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Wed 07 Dec 2011, 9:57 am

It might be an attack of the predictive texts on a smart phone.

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 07 Dec 2011, 10:03 am

Davie wrote:Or just someone for whom English isn't a first language perhaps?

Do you call all foreigners illiterate s_r?

No, why would I? You have to admit that his/her post is incomprehensible. Not even Pigeon/Yoda English.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Temporary Greens Empty Try Winter Tees!!

Post by matelot golfer Wed 07 Dec 2011, 10:46 am

At my course we have a great free draining links which very rarely if ever goes on temporary greens. Imagine how frustrating it is the to play off winter tees which make stroke index 1 and 2 a joke( without ever a winter card), a par 5 into a poxy par 4 and nearly all over holes a Driver, followed by 2nd shot flicky wedge, not a temp green in sight!! To top it all off nearly all our tees are the size of tennis courts that look like the could play Wimbledon on!! they are in that a good a condition even at the end of the season.

Problem is that the Commitee was made up full of 'coffin-dodgers' who could at last shot 36 stableford points and talk about it like it was a geniune score. Not bad then for a Par 70 play 4600 yds instead of 6200!!

Make my blood boil, the course is fully playable all year round yet the answer is always ' We've always done it like that so why change it?'

My answer is change it because next year alone you are asking me to pay £45 more to be a member than this year and we want some VFM!!

matelot golfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Wed 07 Dec 2011, 10:54 am

We dont even get the oversized holes.

Wimps.

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Wed 07 Dec 2011, 1:07 pm

Anyone?

This post looks like it was written in another language and then put through a google translator.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Wed 07 Dec 2011, 1:09 pm

I hate temp greens, would rather go to the range. My club didn't use them last year, hoping for the same this year.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by links Wed 07 Dec 2011, 1:20 pm

raycastleunited wrote:
This post looks like it was written in another language and then put through a google translator.

I was thinking it looked more like it started as English, was translated into a couple of different languages and then back to English.

e.g

Temporary greens are a pain in the arse

Translated to Spanish = Verdes temporales son un dolor en el culo

Translated to Bulgarian = Временни Зелените са болка в задника

Translated to Latin = Temporaria greens labor in asino

and back to English = Green temporary labor on her ass

Hours of fun Very Happy

links

Back to top Go down

Post by GWR-Golfer Wed 07 Dec 2011, 1:48 pm

At my course we spent £800k putting in new greens so that we could play all year round (apart from frosty days).

It has worked altho' it means that the greens are harder than the old ones were in the Summer. But a small price to pay I think.

PS. we do have temps but they are rarely used and they have normal sized holes.
GWR-Golfer
GWR-Golfer

Back to top Go down

Post by oldparwin Wed 07 Dec 2011, 5:03 pm

We have 22 proper greens at my course, we use the other 4 greens in the winter months, funny but these 4 greens are large, and more tricky to read than our normal greens, but yes we about 6 circles cut in the fairway just short or to the right our proper greens, and these are a bit of a hit and miss

oldparwin

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Wed 07 Dec 2011, 5:18 pm

Lots of clubs have seldom used temporary greens. When you look at them though, it's not surprising they aren't used except in the direst weather. They can be tucked behind trees, or between bunkers, or on slopes that are so steep that a downhill putt would be about 80 on the stimp.

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed 07 Dec 2011, 9:04 pm

George1507 wrote: on slopes that are so steep that a downhill putt would be about 80 on the stimp.

I've never known a temp green be more than about 2 on the stimp!

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by oldparwin Wed 07 Dec 2011, 9:19 pm

George
Our 4 permanent/temporary greens are always in better condition than the main greens, because they are looked after as well as the main greens but very seldom used, they are definitely faster than the main greens, but have much more slope on them, for drainage reasons, this makes them much more difficult.

2 of the holes are slightly longer playing from the temporary tees, and 2 play slightly shorter from the temporary tees.

oldparwin

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Wed 07 Dec 2011, 10:09 pm

IMO issues with temp greens stem from them literally at a lot of places just being a circled off part of fairway with a hole dumped in them.

Ours are purpose built for the use, yes slightly longer than regular greens but that's to preserve them and there are strict rules and punishments if you attempt to play a shot from one when they aren't in play. This serves to make them pretty good and very playable.

However having said that there are many places I wouldn't even both going to if on temps due to state of them. Instead I'd spend 3/4 hours on practice ground working on my game. Or if that desperate to play go to a muni somewhere for a knock one near me is pretty good all year round

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Thu 08 Dec 2011, 7:56 am

There's one at our place which you just laugh at, and look for hidden camera's, because it's obvious the greeny's have taken the michael. The real green is a raised affair at the top of a bank and has slopes and hollows all over the fairway approach. The greeny's have just cut a hole in the slope and thought 'this should be ok'.The ball won't stay on the temp green ffs, so pointless, but if your not bothered about a score or holding up the field, then it can take 45 minutes to putt out Sad

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by goldwolf Mon 12 Dec 2011, 4:02 pm

Can't be bothered with temporary greens these days, well in fact winter golf doesn't thrill me like it used to. I think I may now be classed as a *gulp* fair weather golfer. Shocked

goldwolf

Back to top Go down

Post by dewsweeper Mon 12 Dec 2011, 5:04 pm

I play at Warrington GC in Cheshire and it is laid out around a sandstone hill .The ground is extremely free draining and we do not play 'temps' at all.The only time the course is closed is because of snow.We are on of the very few clubs in the area that get a fuul 12 months play.Another plus is we do not come off after a game covered in mud.As I started golf playing 'muni's' around South London I certainly recognise how luckky I am now

dewsweeper

Back to top Go down

Post by Marcus Mon 12 Dec 2011, 5:28 pm

No temporary greens where I play. If the main greens aren't in a playable condition they'll just close the course.

Marcus

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down