The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

General Adivce for a new guy

5 posters

Go down

General Adivce for a new guy  Empty General Adivce for a new guy

Post by DallasCowboy Wed 07 Dec 2011, 7:27 am

Hi all

I'm new to golf and golf forums not 100% sure how they work. This place was suggested to me by your very own maverick having played a club v club friendly against him a month or 2 back.

I played a couple of times with my Mom and Dad they both love to play as much as they can. Though generally not together they have their own circles of friends who play and have been keen for a long while for me to take up the game properly.

I've always been a decent sportsman mainly with an Oval american football or with a hockey stick playing ice hockey, so picking up new sports like golf is normally simple for me.

I was bought a set of Nike VR cavity backed irons as a birthday present and my local pay and play course offered a deal of £53 a month for unlimited golf and gym membership so thought why not. Since I played 2 rounds there in july I found I actually really enjoyed it and paid the £100 yearly club membership that means I can get a handicap and play competitions.

I started out with a 19handicap in august and now am down to 10.0, more through luck and virtue my hand eye coordination is pretty being as I'm a full time tennis coach.

Now I'm finding it hard to develop more, I want to get down to category one and win my club championship next year. Am I running before I can walk and are there things I should focus on to get better.

Having seen how a good player hits it and scores I'm mighty jealous and want to get better at a game I initially had no real love for.

What is the best gps device to get as I don't have one
Are there any new technologies that could help
I've booked lessons with my pro to try and help, being a tennis coach I know the importance of working with someone can really help

I'm off into work now so won't be about for few hours and will look forward to any responses that may come my way.

Upon my return will start posting on the NFL threads as that's my obsession I did think about the tennis section too due to my job and insight but seems a little bitchy at times. Though I may be able to help some guys out.

Thanks for listening guys and gals

Last edited by DallasCowboy on Wed 07 Dec 2011, 8:03 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : flaws in smart phone typing pointed out)

DallasCowboy

Back to top Go down

General Adivce for a new guy  Empty Re: General Adivce for a new guy

Post by Maverick Wed 07 Dec 2011, 7:45 am

Hi Dallas!

I remember our game well, you and your partner beat us on the 18th. That was my first club friendly I enjoyed the game, company and your course.

Down to 10 now that was quick.

First tip is check your spelling mate as there are a couple on here who will delight in picking you out for that! I notice one typo is a $ sign is that an intentional draw to your american heritage or using a smart phone to to type the thread?

I enjoyed our chats about the NFL though still can't see how you can rate your Cowboys above the Jets!

I remember you saying you'd only ever played 2 courses including your home course you play at so ever fancy a game then send me a PM and I'll gladly sign you in at my place or play somewhere else.

Regardinng your questions, gps devices! Some good deals out on sky caddies at the moment and imo can't go wrong with a bushnell.

Seeking help with the pro is always a good idea which reminds me I haven't forgot the offer of a free tennis lesson even if only to come see young ladies in short white skirts!......

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by DallasCowboy Wed 07 Dec 2011, 7:59 am

Thanks for the advice don't use my phone to create topics. Will go back and address that now. Then I really must do some work got a group session with the veterans section.

DallasCowboy

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Wed 07 Dec 2011, 8:29 am

Dallas ... I would quit now why you still have your sanity!

Just kidding. Welcome aboard.

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Wed 07 Dec 2011, 8:31 am

Welcome to the board Dallas. If you have any questions, then please feel free to ask them on here or you can PM me (or any other of the moderation/admin team)

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 07 Dec 2011, 10:13 am

Dallas

I own a cowboys strip, or whatever you Americans call it, which I felt obliged to buy while visiting dallas. For that reason I tend to support them in the NFL. I hope that gets us of to a good start.

I think I also bought the ice hockey teams strip as well.

As you are a coach yourself I don’t feel like I can offer much advice in terms of improving your game other than to comfort you in saying going down the route of seeing your pro is the best way to improve.

As for the forum the only advice I would give is get stuck in, chances are no knows any more than you do.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Wed 07 Dec 2011, 11:14 am

@ Dallas ...

"I've always been a decent sportsman mainly with an Oval american football or with a hockey stick playing ice hockey, so picking up new sports like golf is normally simple for me.
~~~
I started out with a 19handicap in august and now am down to 10.0, more through luck and virtue my hand eye coordination is pretty being as I'm a full time tennis coach.

Now I'm finding it hard to develop more, I want to get down to category one and win my club championship next year. Am I running before I can walk and are there things I should focus on to get better."

The hockey thing caught my eye. I've usually found that golfers who've played 'dry' hockey usually adapt to the game quite well so I see no reason why this shouldn't apply to you even though you've played the ice variety.

Being a tennis player, I would also imagine your forearms are more Popeye than Olive. So, I would also imagine you don't have any problems in the length department .. so to speak! To put this into context, I remember one top american professional saying that he didn't care about losing direction so much as losing length.

Nevertheless, length alone will not get you down to a low h'cap. Short game, short game, short game. You're not always going to hit the greens in regulation so you must concentrate more of your spare time on improving your skills on and around the green. Most golfers find this part of the game boring to practise but to quote Arnold Palmer ... you "drive for show and putt for dough".

Patience is key so try not to get too down on yourself should you feel progress is too slow. You can learn from your mistakes as well particularly in the area of course management.

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down