The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jones vs Machida - Who you picking?

+3
easthfc
boomdangle
Valero's Conscience
7 posters

Go down

Jones vs Machida - Who you picking? Empty Jones vs Machida - Who you picking?

Post by Valero's Conscience Wed 07 Dec 2011, 8:52 am

The fight is this Saturday.

Jones will be the favourite and not without reason, he's beaten Bader, Shogun and Rampage this year already, all different styles and faces another style in Machida.

No one is unbeatable but Jones is quickly establishing himself as pretty near to it and I think the Machida fight will show a lot.

I pick Jones to win by late TKO or decision but i'm more interested to see how he adapts to Machida's unorthodox defensive style.

If he simply blows away Machida then ATM there isn't anyone who I can see troubling Jones in the LHW division.

Also, if Jones wins, this is surely one of the most impressive years of any MMA fighters career? It's even more scary that he's only 24!

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Jones vs Machida - Who you picking? Empty Re: Jones vs Machida - Who you picking?

Post by boomdangle Wed 07 Dec 2011, 10:36 am

I am really looking forward to this fight and the rest of the card.

I think of Jones like a cross between an octopus and a crocodile as he can either use his long limps to prod at ease or his wrestling and ground and pound to crush the life out of his opponent.

In other words he is sh*t hot.

but with all this praise there is a tint of sadness as he could turn into the michael schumacher of MMA, wiht know one near good enough to challenge him.

On the rest of the card the two nogs are fighting, i see two defeats.

lets see if tito can continue his recent renaisance and ebersole what pattern will be in his chest hair this weekend.

All in all i am looking forward to the card.

boomdangle

Back to top Go down

Jones vs Machida - Who you picking? Empty Re: Jones vs Machida - Who you picking?

Post by Valero's Conscience Wed 07 Dec 2011, 11:08 am

Haven't really given much thought to the Nog fights!

Torn between the Mir/Big Nog fight as I like both (Mir seems to be unfairly hated by many IMO) but I think Mir has a better shot against the other top guys than Big Nog who is near the end of his career so would rather Mir win but by decision as I don't want to see Big Nog knocked out!

I'm not too fussed about the Tito fight but would be funny for Tito to win just to see his grave digger routine one more time!

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by easthfc Wed 07 Dec 2011, 11:28 am

Got to pick Jones although It'll be an interesting style match up. Think Jones will use his wrestling in this one and get the win.

I agree no one can touch Jones at LHW. The good thing is he has already said he will go up to HW where he will get bigger challenges.

rest of the card
Frank Mir vs Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira Nog - nog
Tito Ortiz vs Antônio Rogério Nogueira - Tito
Claude Patrick vs Brian Ebersole - Ebersole
Mark Hominick vs Chan Sung Jung - Hominick
Krzysztof Soszynski vs Igor Pokrajac - Soszynski

It is a really good card. The whole main card has interesting fights.

easthfc

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Wed 07 Dec 2011, 11:47 am

Yer I can see Jones going in for the takedown and using brutal GNP. But styles make fights and we havent really seen Jones being heavily tagged so it will be interesting to how he reacts in Machida does catch him.

My picks are

Jones TKO3
Mir UD3
Lil Nig SUB3
Patrick UD3
Hominick UD3
Soszynski TKO 3

Does look like a competitive card on paper

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Wed 07 Dec 2011, 6:39 pm

get on the prediction league im setting up, good fun. although does get very difficult predicting the pre tv fights.

i think machida does have a style that will give jones more trouble than others prevoiusly, lets face it you cant out grapple him nor out clinch him. but still see him being to sharp and quick for machida, tko 2nd

not a great fan of mir and a massive fan of big nog so biased and hopefully see big nog pull it off. the first fight big nog did have a bad staff infection and was very poor but or some reason see mir knocking him out again. big nogs long career catching up with him.

not been overly impressed with litlle nog since coming to ufc, although other than the bader fight neither has ortiz impressed me recently. think ortiz got lucky against bader. little nog UD but close

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by nasisillmatic Thu 08 Dec 2011, 12:36 pm

I see Jones winning this by TKO in the later rounds. He never looks troubled inside the octogon and can adapt to his opponents style quickly.

That reach advantage is massive.

nasisillmatic

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Mon 12 Dec 2011, 10:44 am

nasisillmatic wrote:I see Jones winning this by TKO in the later rounds. He never looks troubled inside the octogon and can adapt to his opponents style quickly.

He didnt have it all his own way on Sat. I even gave Machida the first round and Jones wasnt convinced he won the first round either. Machida had to stay on his feet to win. It was over the second Jones took Machida down. Although he did finish the fight off standing haha

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Mon 12 Dec 2011, 11:01 am

Soldier_Of_Fortune wrote:
nasisillmatic wrote:I see Jones winning this by TKO in the later rounds. He never looks troubled inside the octogon and can adapt to his opponents style quickly.

He didnt have it all his own way on Sat. I even gave Machida the first round and Jones wasnt convinced he won the first round either. Machida had to stay on his feet to win. It was over the second Jones took Machida down. Although he did finish the fight off standing haha

im suprised he stood with him for as long as he did (perhaps abit of ego), i thought his tactics would be to get it to the ground earlier. as good as jones is standing he had a much bigger advantage after it went to the ground

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by nasisillmatic Mon 12 Dec 2011, 11:14 am

compelling and rich wrote:
Soldier_Of_Fortune wrote:

im suprised he stood with him for as long as he did (perhaps abit of ego), i thought his tactics would be to get it to the ground earlier. as good as jones is standing he had a much bigger advantage after it went to the ground

I think the 1st round was pretty even. Although Machida landed like 2 good strikes, Jones was pushing the pace and looking the more aggressive.

I'll admit I was concerned for Jones after the 1st round because he looked a little worried in his corner, but props to him for how he handled Machida. Once he got that takedown the writing was on the wall.

I think this could be the best title of reign of all in the future.

nasisillmatic

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Mon 12 Dec 2011, 4:44 pm

Regarding the other main fights:

Lil Nog put a vicious beatdown on Tito and forced The Huntington Bay Bad Boy to tap due to body shots in the 1st round.

Mir defeats Big Nog by kimura but Nog refused to tap and got his arm snapped above the elbow!

Also, another guy was stopped in 7 seconds to equal the quickest ever UFC KO!

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by gibbo104 Fri 16 Dec 2011, 4:11 pm

lol! The other guy stopped in 7 seconds was Mark Hominick who last fought against Aldo for the belt. I had Hominick taking that one easy against the Korean Zombie but he got caught big time! A great card though from top to bottom

gibbo104

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 16 Dec 2011, 5:56 pm

gibbo104 wrote:lol! The other guy stopped in 7 seconds was Mark Hominick who last fought against Aldo for the belt. I had Hominick taking that one easy against the Korean Zombie but he got caught big time! A great card though from top to bottom

That's one way of putting it! Obviously he felt very confident but same old story for me hands to low/wide & paid the price.

As you say was a good card, admittedly only saw the above & the 3 main fights but enjoyed them all. Mir vs Big Nog was the most exciting for me in part probably to Rogans commentary, thought Nog was gonna do it he had Mir hurt but threw it away imo but respect to Mir he finished it well.

Jones vs Machida was an interesting fight, gave the 1st round to Machida just thought his striking was better especially his kicking, did think he held his chin to high & was expecting Jones to clock him at any minute. 2nd round was a different story & Jones finished it well. This was the 1st fight I'd seen Jones not look so comfortable or dominant & for me his striking wasn't as good as many say or as Rogan was saying throughout the 1st round. As others have said it could be a long reign as champ he's a tough nut to crack.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down