The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

‘Cannonball’ by Damien Rice found murdered by X-Factor winner

+7
MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch
Gregers
Cari
GG
Gameshow Heist
AberdeenSteve
Mickado
11 posters

Go down

‘Cannonball’ by Damien Rice found murdered by X-Factor winner Empty ‘Cannonball’ by Damien Rice found murdered by X-Factor winner

Post by Mickado Mon 12 Dec 2011, 11:41 am

The song ‘Cannonball’ by singer-songwriter Damien Rice was found dead today in an incident that police say they are treating as murder. X-Factor winners Little Mix are being sought in connection with the death. ‘Cannonball’ was just nine years old.

‘There aren’t words to describe how I feel,’ said a tearful Damien Rice at a press conference today. ‘You read about this sort of thing happening to other artists but you never imagine it will happen to you. I just keep asking ‘why me?’ All anyone hopes is that when the time comes to say goodbye to their songs, they go painlessly, but from the recordings I’ve heard it sounds as if ‘Cannonball’ really suffered in its final hours.’

‘Cannonball’, which enjoyed brief fame in 2004 when it reached number 19 in the UK charts after being re-released, was described by Rice as an easygoing song. ‘Like all my songs, it never set out to offend anyone. It kept itself to itself, you know. I just can’t believe that anyone could do something like this to a piece of music – it’s horrible.’

Passers-by reported finding the dismembered remains of ‘Cannonball’ in record stores up and down the UK this morning, but despite the best efforts of the emergency services it was already too late to save it. ‘We think we’re looking for a group of amateurs because whoever committed this horrific act made a right mess of it,’ said a police spokesman. ‘They have shown total disregard for the sanctity of a melody. Our biggest concern now is that unless they are stopped they could go on to commit further atrocities.’

Police are conducting a nationwide hunt for the killer, but recognise that finding the culprit may not be easy. ‘In similar cases the perpetrator has tended to go to ground after one high-profile massacre. We’re still searching for whoever butchered Leonard Cohen’s ‘Hallelujah’ three years ago. However, the public should be warned that Little Mix are considered dangerous and under no circumstances should they be approached with your ears uncovered.’

A media inquest into the death will be held next week, but Rice now just wants closure on the tragedy. ‘All I ask is that the media respect my right to carry on with my career in private, and give me and my family the time and space we need to come to terms with our life-changing royalties.’

I'm grieving hard here folks, watched the final last night (hadn't watched it before), and it was a real shock to the system. Such a sad end for such a nice song.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

‘Cannonball’ by Damien Rice found murdered by X-Factor winner Empty Re: ‘Cannonball’ by Damien Rice found murdered by X-Factor winner

Post by AberdeenSteve Mon 12 Dec 2011, 7:39 pm

And what about Leona Lewis's cover of Johnny Cash's Hurt?

I literally wanted to die whilst listening Laugh

AberdeenSteve

Back to top Go down

‘Cannonball’ by Damien Rice found murdered by X-Factor winner Empty Re: ‘Cannonball’ by Damien Rice found murdered by X-Factor winner

Post by Gameshow Heist Tue 13 Dec 2011, 5:56 pm

AberdeenSteve wrote:And what about Leona Lewis's cover of Johnny Cash's Hurt?

Must've really upset you when he never wrote it. His is the best version though.

Gameshow Heist

Back to top Go down

Post by GG Tue 13 Dec 2011, 7:11 pm

AberdeenSteve wrote:And what about Leona Lewis's cover of Nine Inch Nail's Hurt?

Amended it for you OK

GG

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Wed 14 Dec 2011, 7:13 pm

What about that awful girl who sang U2's With Or Without You a couple of years ago? I think her name was Diane, and she did this weird claw like thing with her hand when she sang. Absolutely murdered that song.

Actually just found it...here it is (if you're of a sensitive disposition, for the love of Bono do not click on the link!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCoM-N84qVM

Oh and Leona Lewis doing Snow Patrol - NO! steam

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by GG Wed 14 Dec 2011, 11:41 pm

Cari wrote:What about that awful girl who sang U2's With Or Without You a couple of years ago? I think her name was Diane, and she did this weird claw like thing with her hand when she sang. Absolutely murdered that song.

Actually just found it...here it is (if you're of a sensitive disposition, for the love of Bono do not click on the link!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCoM-N84qVM

Oh and Leona Lewis doing Snow Patrol - NO! steam

Just listened to that vomit

GG

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Thu 15 Dec 2011, 7:20 am

The thing that Annoys me most is that they got rid of the signature hook in the song. The original has a guitar piece that follows the melody of the lyrics, like Norweigien Wood by the Beatles. They just took it out altogether and had sang in that stupid Mariah Carey/Beyonce over board way.

At least with U2, nobody will ever think the bad version is the original. Cannonba is not a famous song, particularly in the UK, a lot of people on twitter thought Gary Barlow wrote it... Sad

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Thu 15 Dec 2011, 10:34 am

AberdeenSteve wrote:And what about Leona Lewis's cover of Johnny Cash's Hurt?

I literally wanted to die whilst listening ‘Cannonball’ by Damien Rice found murdered by X-Factor winner 810156456

That was the worst cover of the year. No one should cover Cash!

Gregers

https://www.facebook.com/Gregers25

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch Thu 15 Dec 2011, 10:55 am

Don't blame pop stars or the X Factor;

Blame Damien Rice, Simon Neil, Trent Reznor, Gary Lightbody etc. who obviously couldn't put their artistic sensibilities ahead of the royalties generated by a guaranteed half a million single sales.

Nice Christmas bonus hey...

They can say no if it really matters to them.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Thu 15 Dec 2011, 11:00 am

Tweeted by Damien Rice this week:

Some people asking about Cannonball. Once a song is released, anyone can record/release a version without approval, upon certain condition

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch Thu 15 Dec 2011, 11:02 am

He doesn't actually say (in that tweet) that he didn't approve it though.

Back to top Go down

Post by ADMIN Thu 15 Dec 2011, 11:04 am

Electric Demon wrote:Don't blame pop stars or the X Factor;

Blame Damien Rice, Simon Neil, Trent Reznor, Gary Lightbody etc. who obviously couldn't put their artistic sensibilities ahead of the royalties generated by a guaranteed half a million single sales.

Nice Christmas bonus hey...

They can say no if it really matters to them.

Whilst I abhor the X Factor versions and agree with ED that it's the choice of the songwriters to allow Cowell to crucify their songs I think it can only be a win win for the songwriters in questions. I'm a big fan of Rice, seen him twice in concert but he's not done anything for a while. This could kickstart his career again.

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

https://www.606v2.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch Thu 15 Dec 2011, 11:07 am

Absolutely Macc.

I have no issue with it. If the Manic Street Preachers started getting calls from Lady Gaga to cover Motorcycle Emptiness, guaranteed half a million sales, I'd applaud them. Well done lads - nice little earner.

No-one would turn it down in reality, due to the money, and the new exposure, as you mention.

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch Thu 15 Dec 2011, 11:48 am

Also,

Rock musicians often record a kooky pop cover e.g. Live Lounge - which probably "murders" the original version in pop fans' opinions. So swings and roundabouts and all that,

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Thu 15 Dec 2011, 12:47 pm

Electric Demon wrote:He doesn't actually say (in that tweet) that he didn't approve it though.

But nobody asked for his approval, so of course he didn't approve or disapprove it either way.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Thu 15 Dec 2011, 2:58 pm

Haterz

Just cause your favourite lost mad
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Thu 15 Dec 2011, 3:45 pm

Josiah Maiestas wrote:Haterz

Just cause your favourite lost mad

Favourite what? Xfactor contestant? That would be like having a favourite strain of influenza...

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Thu 15 Dec 2011, 6:16 pm

Macclads makes a valid point. Some old classics have been introduced to younger audiences through the likes of X Factor, but there's also the danger of the newer versions overshadowing the original.

Demon - to be fair some covers on Live Lounge are great.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Mon 19 Dec 2011, 3:36 pm

Cari wrote:Macclads makes a valid point. Some old classics have been introduced to younger audiences through the likes of X Factor, but there's also the danger of the newer versions overshadowing the original.

Demon - to be fair some covers on Live Lounge are great.

Problem with that though is the kids today often think they're original songs...and chances are any X Factor cover is likely to be bloody awful.

There have been plenty of cover versions I've liked over the years, but they tend to be done by "proper" bands / artists.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Mon 19 Dec 2011, 6:45 pm

We need to educate the children!

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Mon 19 Dec 2011, 11:20 pm

Its like Matt Whatishisname, last years winner covering Biffy Clyro's Many of Horror and even calling it by a different title! People saying BC sold out but quite a clever move by them to get ppl listening to their music.

I did die a little inside when Leona Lewis butchered run. thumbsdown
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down