The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scotland's flyhalf for the 6Ns and beyond

+16
RuggerRadge2611
maestegmafia
IanBru
doctor_grey
GreatEight
damngoodOvalball
Knowsit17
Scot Abroad
Tattie Scones RRN
HERSH
Imperialbigdave
George Carlin
21st Century Schizoid Man
nickj
TJ1
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
20 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Scotland's flyhalf for the 6Ns and beyond - Page 2 Empty Scotland's flyhalf for the 6Ns and beyond

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:00 pm

First topic message reminder :

An interesting piece in today's Herald: Scottish 10 set me thinking about the relative merits of the different flyhalves that Scotland can choose from for the upcoming 6Ns and beyond. For once, the last of candidates is fairly long, even if none of them yet would automatically merit the tag of 'international class':

Duncan Weir - Glasgow Warriors

Has come up thru the age group ranks, and was arguably Scotland's best player at last summer's JWC. Flawless kicking game, nearly in the Parks mould, but can struggle to get a backline moving

Ruaridh Jackson
- Glasgow Warriors

Also came thru the age group ranks and seemed to be taking his chances in last year's 6Ns and at the RWC in NZ. Picked up an unlucky hamstring injury in the final match vs England. Kicking suspect, but is capable of getting a backline moving, altho it doesn't always come off

Harry Leonard - Edinburgh

Again, an age group star, has really taken his chance at Edinburgh this year in his first pro season. Has filled in for Phil Godman as he recovers from injury and taken advantage of David Blair's departure. Kicks beautifully, but is more of a ball in hand merchant, happy to attack the line himself or set his backline moving. Has been hauled off by Bradley at half-time in a couple of recent European games, altho that's seemed overly cautious to me

Dan Parks - Cardiff Blues

The man christened 'Desparate' for some of his more woeful performances, but every time you write him off, he springs a surprise - he is the marmite of 10s, a player that will keep the scoreboard ticking over and secure no end of territory for your team, even if that territory only leads to points accumulating in 3s. Can't tackle, won't tackle, has to be hidden on a blindside wing in defence

Phil Godman
- Edinburgh

Out for a huge chunk of last season and only just getting back to full fitness now. A confidence player that can be sublime and terrible in equal measure, altho we've seen more of the latter than I'd care for. More of a ball in hand first five-eighth than a territorial 10, altho he does actually have a decent boot on him

Sam Hidalgo-Clyne
- Scotland 7s/Edinburgh's academy

The youngest of the lot, talked up as having huge promise, and away with the permanent 7s squad at the moment. From all that I have read about him, he is an all-rounder in the Rutherford mould

So, who would you pick for the 6Ns squad and beyond? I've ignored one or two outside candidates such as Grieg Laidlaw (he must stay at scrum-half even if we use him as cover for 10), Matt Scott (seems to have the makings of a very useful IC) and Stuart Hogg (has been a revelation for Glasgow at fullback this season, even if he did play 10 as a schoolboy and Lineen thinks that 15 isn't his best position)

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Scotland's flyhalf for the 6Ns and beyond - Page 2 Empty Re: Scotland's flyhalf for the 6Ns and beyond

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:42 pm

Still couldn't stomach a winger playing at inside centre when we have players dedicated to that position in good form. If Andy Robinson Picks either Lamont or Morrison at 12 and Scotland as a team do not perform I hope we look for another coach.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Scotland's flyhalf for the 6Ns and beyond - Page 2 Empty Re: Scotland's flyhalf for the 6Ns and beyond

Post by Glas a du Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:48 pm

Yes, that's right, but I was talking about outside centre, and then depending on who is at 10 and 12.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:13 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:Ansbro at 13? No way NDL has been superb for Edinburgh all season, and to be honest in this form simply must start. I would not be surprised to see King and NDL start for Scotland in the 6n.

Although in truth I would be happy if we started anyone other than Lamont and Morrison at 12.

Agreed - I hope that Robinson takes the long view and thinks that if Visser and possibly also Jones look to be starters in the Scotland 15 in future, then to have an established Edinburgh centre pairing playing with them can only help cohesion.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:45 am

And our new signing will do for the Warriors next season Yahoo

Back to top Go down

Post by justified sinner Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:51 am

21st Century Schizoid Man wrote:And our new signing will do for the Warriors next season Yahoo

No way is Schlong as good as Viss. For the 6N I'd like to see
Cus/Blair
Laidlaw/Weir
Schlong (Scott soon, but too early)
NDL
Back 3 different discussion.

justified sinner

Back to top Go down

Post by poddy89 Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:00 pm

100% not godman!!!! he shouldnt even have a proffessional contract because he is really that bad, edinburgh shouldnt waste their time with him and get somebody with a bit of ambition and potential,

im not a fan of jackson and parks is to inconsistant,

i think maybe wier for me with either jackson/laidlaw on the bench

poddy89

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:25 pm

poddy89 wrote:100% not godman!!!! he shouldnt even have a proffessional contract because he is really that bad, edinburgh shouldnt waste their time with him and get somebody with a bit of ambition and potential,

im not a fan of jackson and parks is to inconsistant,

i think maybe wier for me with either jackson/laidlaw on the bench

Weir is just Parks V1.05. He doesnt have the defensive failties or cowardice, but hes no better going forward.
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottish Optimist Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:22 am

I really don't want Weir picked as first choice for Scotland, he's been playing well for Glasgow helping them grind out wins but doesn't get the backs moving. We need tries if Scotland are going to win more than once in a blue moon.

I'd prefer Jackson to Weir but the goal kicking and lack of game time are a big concern.

I'm by no means a rugby expert so can you guys shed any light as to why Laidlaw isn't a more popular/likely choice on 606 forums?
He plays flat, gets the ball out to the backs quickly and always looks a threat. Excellent goal kicking too. Would definitely be my first choice for Six Nations. (Plus I think he's the only flyhalf to improve his chances after yesterdays game!)

Last edited by Scottish Optimist on Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:23 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typo)

Scottish Optimist

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:53 am

Optimist,

agree that Laidlaw should start at 10 with Cusiter at SH - problem would be if either gets crocked Shocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottish Optimist Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:55 am

Well if the form of a few certain players at the world cup is anything to go by, Robinson wrapping them in cotton wool and resting them from playing for their club is not the answer.

Scottish Optimist

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:16 am

Scottish Optimist wrote:I'm by no means a rugby expert so can you guys shed any light as to why Laidlaw isn't a more popular/likely choice on 606 forums?He plays flat, gets the ball out to the backs quickly and always looks a threat. Excellent goal kicking too. Would definitely be my first choice for Six Nations. (Plus I think he's the only flyhalf to improve his chances after yesterdays game!)

Because that would require stones, and Robinson is yet to show that he has some.
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:22 am

i think Parks will get the nod however IMO jackson deserves an exteneded run in the side.

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottish Optimist Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:20 am

Because that would require stones, and Robinson is yet to show that he has some.

laughing

I'm afraid your right CricketFan and Robinson won't think any of the new fly halfs are ready yet so will stick with Parks for territory against England. Mark Dodson has said he will give Robinson the time and space to develop a winning a team so he shouldn't be feared to try someone new at 10.

Scottish Optimist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2