The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How many slams will Djokovic win during his career?

+5
barrystar
dummy_half
legendkillar
CaledonianCraig
deeznu
9 posters

Go down

Number of slams?

How many slams will Djokovic win during his career? Vote_lcap0%How many slams will Djokovic win during his career? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
How many slams will Djokovic win during his career? Vote_lcap13%How many slams will Djokovic win during his career? Vote_rcap 13% 
[ 2 ]
How many slams will Djokovic win during his career? Vote_lcap0%How many slams will Djokovic win during his career? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
How many slams will Djokovic win during his career? Vote_lcap25%How many slams will Djokovic win during his career? Vote_rcap 25% 
[ 4 ]
How many slams will Djokovic win during his career? Vote_lcap31%How many slams will Djokovic win during his career? Vote_rcap 31% 
[ 5 ]
How many slams will Djokovic win during his career? Vote_lcap19%How many slams will Djokovic win during his career? Vote_rcap 19% 
[ 3 ]
How many slams will Djokovic win during his career? Vote_lcap6%How many slams will Djokovic win during his career? Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 1 ]
[ 0 ]
How many slams will Djokovic win during his career? Vote_lcap6%How many slams will Djokovic win during his career? Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 1 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 16

How many slams will Djokovic win during his career? Empty How many slams will Djokovic win during his career?

Post by deeznu Tue 17 Jan 2012, 2:59 am

Right now he has 4. How many will the Serbian end up winning?

deeznu

Back to top Go down

How many slams will Djokovic win during his career? Empty Re: How many slams will Djokovic win during his career?

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue 17 Jan 2012, 6:09 am

At a wild guess I will go for 12. He is the form player at the moment and still his pretty young and with Federer surely in the twilight of his career and him currently having the Indian sign over Nadal and Murray I think 12 is a realistic figure.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

How many slams will Djokovic win during his career? Empty Re: How many slams will Djokovic win during his career?

Post by legendkillar Tue 17 Jan 2012, 8:23 am

I went with 7.

Right now there is nothing that indicates a year to expect 2-3 Slams for him. Look at Nadal. 3 Slams in one year and one the following. I think there is too much expected of Djokovic right now and I am not fully convinced he is a mental giant yet to be put along side Nadal or Federer. I think 7 is realistic.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Tue 17 Jan 2012, 9:59 am

Might be better to give us a choice of ranges rather than an absolute number, so something like:
5-7
8-10
11-14
15-20

I'd then place him in the 8-10 category, but wouldn't be entirely surprised if he doesn't quite make it that high. More than 10 would be a big surprise to me, considering how few players have managed that during the Open Era - Federer and Nadal have created an almost unprecedented duopoly and should not be considered as the norm.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Tue 17 Jan 2012, 10:05 am

d_h - 5-7 would be a damn good final score, perhaps as many as 8-9.

Much depends on this year when he could of course go to 8, although I doubt it.

People forget how very unusual the Fedal era has been and just because Djoko has had a fantastic year does not mean he will be able to carry on dominating like either of them, particularly given how much the year appears to have taken out of him.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue 17 Jan 2012, 10:14 am

barrystar wrote:..... particularly given how much the year appears to have taken out of him.

DO you really think so?

I don't. Last year he played Nadal at Nadal's game and this is where he really abused his body. However he looks as fresh as a daisy now (to use Nadal's words) and I am pretty sure that he will make easier work of Nadal this year if they meet.

What coudl stop Djoko's accumulation of slams is the new generation which I think will be tough this year a bit but more likely next year.

What's weird in tennis is that a better more complete player may simply end up with many less slams. Timing is everything.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue 17 Jan 2012, 10:20 am

I think he'll clearly dominate this year. The only player who can do him, and even then he needs the force with him, is Federer (Nadal must have been disappointed to see Roger in his half, not merely because he's a greater danger than Murray but because there's nobody to prevent it being Djokovic against him in the final).

I do think wear and tear may set in sooner rather than later; bear in mind he's gone into this tear at almost 25 and his game won't be possible in a couple of years.

I dunno - maybe 9/10?
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Tue 17 Jan 2012, 10:21 am

Tenez wrote:
barrystar wrote:..... particularly given how much the year appears to have taken out of him.

DO you really think so?

It's not that he's fresh now after a rest, it's how ground down he may get in the course of this year, and in particular whether he can he play slam-winning quality tennis through until August in an Olympic year.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue 17 Jan 2012, 10:27 am

barrystar wrote:
It's not that he's fresh now after a rest, it's how ground down he may get in the course of this year, and in particular whether he can he play slam-winning quality tennis through until August in an Olympic year.

Like his match today, he tends to make easy work of early rounds. He has a more economical game than the other "physical" players. It's when he is facing the fire power player that he does a lot of running. But there are not many of them nowadays...only in the later stage.

ANyway, he hasn't won the AO12 yet!

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue 17 Jan 2012, 10:37 am

I wonder, if he gets scheduled on a seriously hot Australian afternoon, whether we would see any repeat of the problems he used to encounter? I know the whole diet/egg thing is supposed to have produced a new man but I don't know whether that's been tested in a Melbourne furnace?

Like you say though, I'm not sure who in his half will make him run that much.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue 17 Jan 2012, 10:44 am

I'd be very surprised, heat would affect him now like then. ...

But I have been surprised many times in my life....

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Simple_Analyst Tue 17 Jan 2012, 10:54 am

bogbrush wrote:I think he'll clearly dominate this year. The only player who can do him, and even then he needs the force with him, is Federer (Nadal must have been disappointed to see Roger in his half, not merely because he's a greater danger than Murray but because there's nobody to prevent it being Djokovic against him in the final).

I do think wear and tear may set in sooner rather than later; bear in mind he's gone into this tear at almost 25 and his game won't be possible in a couple of years.

I dunno - maybe 9/10?

Nadal must clearly be shaking in his boots a player who hasn't beaten him in slams since 2007, a player he holds 4-1 outdoor hard courts head to head advantage over and beat him at the AO final with barely 19 hours rest is in his side of the draw. Mean while, he is clearly cursing his luck a player who has beaten him in 2 hc slams including a straight set victory at the AO is at the other side of the draw.

For Djokovic, he has the potential to win 12 slams. He just has to win a minimum of 2 a year for the next 3 years and a couple towards the end of his slam winning years.

Simple_Analyst

Back to top Go down

Post by deeznu Tue 17 Jan 2012, 12:58 pm

Tenez wrote:

DO you really think so?

I don't. Last year he played Nadal at Nadal's game and this is where he really abused his body. However he looks as fresh as a daisy now (to use Nadal's words) and I am pretty sure that he will make easier work of Nadal this year if they meet.

What coudl stop Djoko's accumulation of slams is the new generation which I think will be tough this year a bit but more likely next year.

What's weird in tennis is that a better more complete player may simply end up with many less slams. Timing is everything.

Agree. Even though Djokovic is more talented than Nadal, I believe he will end up with less slams than Nadal. Simply because 2009 and 2010 were wasted years for the Serbian. He is almost 25 and only has 4 slams.

deeznu

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Tue 17 Jan 2012, 4:32 pm

deeznu

I thought you were noleisthebest in disguise but she is a real Djokovic fan unlike you. She would never have capped the poll at 20!

Just curious though. Are you by any chance wearing a hairband? If so what colour is it?

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Tue 17 Jan 2012, 4:51 pm

deeznu wrote: He is almost 25 and only has 4 slams.

Most players would give their left [ ] for that...
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by deeznu Tue 17 Jan 2012, 5:04 pm

hawkeye wrote:deeznu

I thought you were noleisthebest in disguise but she is a real Djokovic fan unlike you. She would never have capped the poll at 20!

Just curious though. Are you by any chance wearing a hairband? If so what colour is it?

I'm a Murray fan. thumbsup

deeznu

Back to top Go down

Post by deeznu Wed 18 Jan 2012, 1:47 pm

7 winning the poll. Interesting.

deeznu

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down