The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tomic vs Federer - A comparison

+9
CaledonianCraig
Josiah Maiestas
newballs
break_in_the_fifth
bogbrush
Jahu
Simple_Analyst
Tenez
invisiblecoolers
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Tomic vs Federer - A comparison - Page 2 Empty Tomic vs Federer - A comparison

Post by invisiblecoolers Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:12 pm

First topic message reminder :

A Decade back in 2001, a young [19yr old] inspirational tennis player beat his idol who that time was considered the greatest of all time, yea I am talking about Roger Federer vs Pete Sampras Wimbledon 2001 4th round match.

Now we have the best rising star [19 years of age] taking on his idol[considered as the greatest player of all time] on the 4th round , can he do what Roger did?

If Tomic do happen to beat Roger Federer it would be an incredible feat, considering we have lack of young talents Tomic arrival would be a massive welcome among tennis fans.

Looking at the possibility of the upset

Tomic took a set of Roger Federer last year when they squared off in the grass for the Davis Cup tie, thats an incredible feat for the youngster, Tomic certainly seems to have bettered his game in the mean time, but on the other hand Roger is on a mission, 23 game winning streak and he is not going to lie down for a kill.

My predictions Roger in 3 , but would be happy if Tomic gives a fight.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Tomic vs Federer - A comparison - Page 2 Empty Re: Tomic vs Federer - A comparison

Post by banbrotam Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:39 pm

invisiblecoolers wrote:If Federer plays casual tennis I wont be surprised to see anupset, otherwise all scenario Fed to win, but i do expect a pretty damn good fight from Tomic, he is motivated to play Fed and will not let the chance go begging.

Fed got a tough draw
Karlovic last round
Tomic this round
Del Potro next
Rafa Nex after
and Djokovic/Murray in Finals.

I don't think playing Karlovic in R2 is a 'tough draw'. You get the ball back, even if it's 60:40 against you, if you're the top - you win the point

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Tomic vs Federer - A comparison - Page 2 Empty Re: Tomic vs Federer - A comparison

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:41 pm

Karlovic was a 3rd round match actually, but I guess for Federer it felt like 2nd round Wink
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:07 pm

invisiblecoolers wrote:The other aspect thats so impressive about Tomic is his self confidence, its not over confidence which at times happens with Murray.

The other interesting thing is he is willing to adapt and change and still very young to make the changes, he has a great idol and I wont be surprised if he brings some of his game into him slowly.

Anyways Tomic rise is needed for the tennis which lacks post youngsters rising above.

Can you tell me what the difference is between 'self confidence' and 'over confidence'? And also which matches, against the Top 10, that Murray was 'over confident'?

You may believe that Tomic is what we need. Personally, i think there are far too many acts of disrespect to the game and the players from the youngster to 'need' anything like him, in his current mould

Nole and Andy were arrogant at an equvalent age, but rarely off court - being very deferential to the Slam winners of the past. Not like, say Tomic with Hewitt

Personally, I think we're clutching at straws and some other, yet unearthed, youngster will be the next 'big thing'

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:07 pm

I don't think it was easy in that first set. Much easier after that.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:19 am

@ Banbro, Murray was way too over confident before Djoko encouter last time in AO finals, even before the match he said something like his time has come and he has learned a lot from previous finals, what ended up is Djoko thrashing Murray so badly.

Before AO 2010 finals, when they asked Murray whom do you prefer in the finals, he said bring on Roger, don't you think thats kiddish? the safest answers would be to wait and watch, take Rafa for example he takes no pressure by completely downplaying his chances before big matches, something if Murray adopts he could put less stress on himself and who knows might win series of GS after that.

When asked about Federer, Tomic replied I hope he has bad day, silently within himself he knows he is going for win, but doesnt want to be over confident and doesnt wanna put pressure on himself saying "Federer will not like my game and I gonna trouble him this time around". he does have confidence in his ability at the same time he makes sure he doesnt over believe his potential and luck.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2