The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England and Sale prop Andrew Sheridan to join Toulon

+3
HongKongCherry
Cymroglan
pioden gorllewin
7 posters

Go down

England and Sale prop Andrew Sheridan to join Toulon Empty England and Sale prop Andrew Sheridan to join Toulon

Post by pioden gorllewin Tue 24 Jan 2012, 12:43 pm

from the bbc website:

England and Sale prop Andrew Sheridan is to join French side Toulon.

The 32-year-old, who has not featured for the Sharks this season after returning from the World Cup with a shoulder injury, will move next season.

Director of sport Steve Diamond told the Manchester Evening News: "Sheri's going to move to Toulon this summer.

"He's been a loyal member of the club but he feels that he's best suited for the next two or three years to try his hand by playing over in France."

The loose-head prop began his career at Richmond, before a four-year stint at Bristol.

He joined Sale in 2003 following Bristol's relegation from the Premiership and has gone on to play more than 100 games for the North West club.

Continue reading the main story I will be sad to see him go because he's been here at the club for such a long time
Steve Diamond

Director of sport
Sheridan made the first of his 40 England appearances against Canada in 2004 and played in the 2007 Rugby World Cup final for the national side.

The 6ft 5in prop, also known as 'Big Ted', toured with the British and Irish Lions in New Zealand in 2005 and South Africa in 2009 and is renowned for his destructive scrummaging throughout world rugby.

The move is likely to end his Test career as the Rugby Football Union has stated it intends to employ a strict policy of only selecting home-based players for England.

He nearly moved to France last season but signed a new one-year deal following Steve Diamond's return to the club.

Sheridan will join a growing pool of English players based at the big-spending Cote d'Azur club with Jonny Wilkinson, Simon Shaw and Steffon Armitage already in residence, and Delon Armitage and Nick Kennedy expected to move there this summer.

"His words to me when he told me were that he was glad he's been here while I've been here," Diamond added.

"Obviously, I will be sad to see him go because he's been here at the club for such a long time but, equally, I guess you then have to look at the pros and the cons.

"You have to consider what he brings to the club, you also have to look at his England status, his injury status so there's a lot to take into account."
pioden gorllewin
pioden gorllewin

Back to top Go down

England and Sale prop Andrew Sheridan to join Toulon Empty Re: England and Sale prop Andrew Sheridan to join Toulon

Post by Cymroglan Tue 24 Jan 2012, 1:23 pm

Good move for him

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

England and Sale prop Andrew Sheridan to join Toulon Empty Re: England and Sale prop Andrew Sheridan to join Toulon

Post by HongKongCherry Tue 24 Jan 2012, 1:27 pm

This clearly also brings his England career to an end and he will always be remembered for destroying the Australian front row.

I do feel Toulon have a rather puzzling transer policy. They seem to bring in a lot of players in the twilight of their careers. I can understand why Sheridan has made this move, but I don't neccessarily see why Toulon made it! Either way, good luck to him.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Tue 24 Jan 2012, 1:43 pm

So that gives them a front row of:

Sheridan - Servat - Hayman

Jesus, thats some big boys, with Kubriashvili on the bench

So their team next season could be

Bakkies - Shaw
?? - Lobbe - Armitage

Burgess - Wilkinson
Giteau - Bastaureud
Smith - Rooney - ??

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 24 Jan 2012, 2:16 pm

Its not a young pack mind is it....get them running around and they'll be blowing out their backsides before you know it.... Wink

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by pioden gorllewin Tue 24 Jan 2012, 2:17 pm

Isn't the London Irish pair Delon Armitage and Nick Kennedy rumoured to be going to Toulon too? Like HKC mentioned does seem like strange signings by Toulon - looks like there will be a big English contingent down there next season with Chesney, Schofield, Shaw, Sheridan, Armitage brothers and Jonny.
pioden gorllewin
pioden gorllewin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Tue 24 Jan 2012, 2:52 pm

Oh yeah, of course, forgot Kennedy and Delon, thats confirmed as well.

Bakkies - Shaw

May well be old, but a couple of years ago that might well have been many peoples dream front 5, with the exception of Matfield and Woodcock

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 24 Jan 2012, 3:21 pm

May well be old, but a couple of years ago that might well have been many peoples dream front 5, with the exception of Matfield and Woodcock

Aw not doubting that...powerful front five in the pomp....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by flankertye Tue 24 Jan 2012, 3:27 pm

Ahhh Toulon where test careers come to die

flankertye

Back to top Go down

Post by hugehandoff Tue 24 Jan 2012, 3:34 pm

For me this is a great shame as I always think England are far better when Sheridan plays. But he is always injured and if Toulon are going to pay him more money, and he can train in the sun, then I don't blame him at all. It will be interesting to see if he can maintain his fitness and what form he is able to display. At 32 he should be coming into his peak and he would not be too old for the next RWC. Good luck to him and may he be healthy.

hugehandoff

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Tue 24 Jan 2012, 3:36 pm

He also speaks fluent French I believe and has talked about living there for a while. Lifestyle thing as well as £££££s I guess

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down