The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Leinster 'A' 32 - 0 Pontypridd

+9
Jimmy Moz
Kingshu
Mickado
thebandwagonsociety
Jenifer McLadyboy
Gibson
Steffan
Feckless Rogue
Morgannwg
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Leinster 'A' 32 - 0 Pontypridd Empty Leinster 'A' 32 - 0 Pontypridd

Post by Morgannwg Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:36 pm

Leinster have booked their place in the semi-finals of the B & I cup after defeating Pontypridd at Donnybrook. http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/newsroom/9298.php

For those of you that signed the reform welsh rugby petition, the ones who want a new Region on the Ponty valley, do you still think you can hack it? Surely a thrashing from Leinster's A team on top of many other reasons already mentioned shows that you can not.

Last edited by Morgannwg on Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Leinster 'A' 32 - 0 Pontypridd Empty Re: Leinster 'A' 32 - 0 Pontypridd

Post by Feckless Rogue Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:36 pm

The fact is these scorelines were regular occurrences when Welsh clubs met foreign teams. They'd ship 40+ points to French teams. Wales had to concentrate it's talent into regions. The people who want a return to club rugby are not living on this planet.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:05 pm

Exacto-mundo.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:46 pm

So what exactly is your point? A semi-profesional outfit from Wales gets well beaten by an Irish provincial A team and this comprehensively without any shadow of a doubt confirms that there is no need to reform regional rugby in Wales?

Right then...

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:45 pm

Ah Steffan, I was wondering how long it would be before you turned up!

You should know that there have been calls for a new Region in the valleys with selfish Ponty fans calling for a new region which would be called erm, Ponty. This is the level below the Regions and you can't beat your opposition so the results would not change. Move on.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:59 pm

Maybe this is a dumb question, but here goes. WHY dont the Welsh Regions play their A sides in this? And forget the running-joke that is the Low Value Cup? I think it would serve the regions, and Welsh rugby better in the long run.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:04 pm

It is perhaps something they should look at Gibson, setting up A teams and putting them in this. I also believe the club system should be forgotten and we go back to the school system which served us well.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:14 pm

I was at this game.

Basically it was a lot of semi pro lads v Leinster's Academy + a few more seasoned lads in the pack.

Even the Academy are playing Rugby every day. Looked a lot fitter etc.

Also there were some heavy hitters in there like Nathan White (captained Waikato to the NPC Final in Sept) Leo Auva'a (Literally a heavy hitter) and Dave Kearney (Rob's Bro and a serious talent)

The rest were either Academy or 1st year out, bar Aaron Dundon who is a club player that has a few games off the bench for Leinster in the last year.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:09 am

Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:I was at this game.

Basically it was a lot of semi pro lads v Leinster's Academy + a few more seasoned lads in the pack.

Even the Academy are playing Rugby every day. Looked a lot fitter etc.

Also there were some heavy hitters in there like Nathan White (captained Waikato to the NPC Final in Sept) Leo Auva'a (Literally a heavy hitter) and Dave Kearney (Rob's Bro and a serious talent)

The rest were either Academy or 1st year out, bar Aaron Dundon who is a club player that has a few games off the bench for Leinster in the last year.

From a Leinster point of view, any players stand out. Do you think there is anything in the Academy that could make the next step. Second row, props, scrum half?

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:22 am

Jen, I’m pretty sure Aaron Dundon has a contract with Leinster now, he’s got a profile on the main site anyway.

There’s probably not much you can tell from a 32-0 match but I read that we’ve got Munster in the semi-final. No mention if it’s home or away mind you…

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:30 am

Mick, we will be hosting Munster A's in Donnybrook. And once they are out of the way, we get to play the Final there too. It will be Leinster v Cornish Pirates Final in Donnybrook. Pirates are red-hot too. Reigning B&I Cup Champs.

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/newsroom/9324.php

Ye STH's get in free I think.

Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:34 am

Ah deadly. I’ll make it my business to be at the semi final.

It’s on the same weekend as the HC match against Cardiff. Lovely stuff.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:37 am

Oh man, I forgot that. I'll be there too so.

Believe.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:48 am

Ah are you over for it? Class. I’d say it’ll be on the Sunday, sure we can all head along with wooly heads from the night before.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:57 am

I don't think that the scoreline suggests Pontypridd/the valleys couldn't support a region.

Its just a WUM at Ponty fans.

If LLanelli or Cardiff RFC were beaten 32-0 in the BandI cup by Leinster 'A' would this mean that they aren't fit to have a region?

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:15 am

Kingshu wrote:I don't think that the scoreline suggests Pontypridd/the valleys couldn't support a region.

If LLanelli or Cardiff RFC were beaten 32-0 in the BandI cup by Leinster 'A' would this mean that they aren't fit to have a region?

It is a reason on top of many others. This is not a WUM, it is a fair question. The only wumming comes from Ponty fans when they sign in and just constantly post vitriol at the Regions.

Scarlets and Blues have silverware and have beaten the best Europe has to offer so are therefore fit. thumbsup
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:44 am

Morgannwg wrote:
Kingshu wrote:I don't think that the scoreline suggests Pontypridd/the valleys couldn't support a region.

It is a reason on top of many others. This is not a WUM, it is a fair question. The only wumming comes from Ponty fans when they sign in and just constantly post vitriol at the Regions.

Scarlets and Blues have silverware and have beaten the best Europe has to offer so are therefore fit. thumbsup

I don't know if the valleys could support a region, but I don't think this result would have any bearing on it, Scarlets and Blues do both have silverware, and who's to say a Valleys region given equal funding by the WRU couldn't achieve the same.

Would you be saying the Scarlets or Blues shouldn't have a region if Llanelli or Cardiff RFC were beaten by Leinster 'A', because saying the Valleys shouldn't have a region because there main feeder club got beat is the same thing. Maybe the Ospreys should lose their region as none of their feeder clubs made it through?

The other reasons for the Valleys not having their own region, do stand, but I don't belive that a semi pro team that will form a feeder club for a new region, being beaten by a provinicial 'A' side has any more bearing on it, than if feeder clubs for other regions, don't make it as far.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:00 pm

KingShu, you don't get it. The Valleys in the east can not sustain a Region of their own. They were given the chance back in 2003 and it failed. There is further concrete evidence for you.

Scarlets and Blues are now a franchise, a few clubs that are merged. The petition set up clearly states that a minority want the structure reformed with Ponty clearly stating their intentions to have their own Region play at Sardis Road. Again, the reasons for this failing have already been stated. Now that Ponty have shown they can not beat Leinster 'A' team it further confirms that a Pontypridd 'stand-alone' team would fail.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:39 pm

Morgannwg wrote:Now that Ponty have shown they can not beat Leinster 'A' team it further confirms that a Pontypridd 'stand-alone' team would fail.

By your logic;
Cardiff RFC didn't even make it into the group stages , meaning a Cardiff RFC 'stand alone' team (Cardiff Blues) should fail.

But they are in the H-cup Q-finals. If given the same time and funding why would a Valleys team not be able to do as well, based on this one result?

There are many resons for the Valleys not having a regional team, but your article is trying to say that this result is another of them, while clearly it's not.

We can leave all the other arguments for the valleys not having a region aside for other threads, and base our disscussion on this result as you article says it's the final nail in the coffin, whereas I believe a lot of Pony/Valley fans would see reaching the qfinal as an achivement, better than Aberavon, Neath and Swansea, and not a drawback as you suggest.

If Pontypridd entered the Celtic league they would be the bottom team (I not arguing htey wouldn't), just like if Cardiff RFC/LLanelli/Swansea/Neath or Newport entered, all would be bottom teams.

But if a proper region was set up with equal WRU funding their is no reason based on this result that it couldn't do well, if fact because this feeder club did better than other regions feeder clubs, it could be argued otherwise.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:08 pm

Kingshu wrote:
Morgannwg wrote:Now that Ponty have shown they can not beat Leinster 'A' team it further confirms that a Pontypridd 'stand-alone' team would fail.

By your logic;
Cardiff RFC didn't even make it into the group stages , meaning a Cardiff RFC 'stand alone' team (Cardiff Blues) should fail.

But they are in the H-cup Q-finals. If given the same time and funding why would a Valleys team not be able to do as well, based on this one result?

There are many resons for the Valleys not having a regional team, but your article is trying to say that this result is another of them, while clearly it's not.

We can leave all the other arguments for the valleys not having a region aside for other threads, and base our disscussion on this result as you article says it's the final nail in the coffin, whereas I believe a lot of Pony/Valley fans would see reaching the qfinal as an achivement, better than Aberavon, Neath and Swansea, and not a drawback as you suggest.

If Pontypridd entered the Celtic league they would be the bottom team (I not arguing htey wouldn't), just like if Cardiff RFC/LLanelli/Swansea/Neath or Newport entered, all would be bottom teams.

But if a proper region was set up with equal WRU funding their is no reason based on this result that it couldn't do well, if fact because this feeder club did better than other regions feeder clubs, it could be argued otherwise.

I have merely stated that it is a contributing factor on top of many.

Blues Region/Superclub/Franchise call it what you will, consists of Cardiff, Pontypridd, with further academies such as Blues North and Blues South who are the feeder clubs. Pontypridd are the ones who want a stand alone 'Region' at Sardis Road. Blues are the successful Region so not sure why you are drawing comparison between them and a feeder club. Pontypridd stand alone can not beat Leinster 'A' side. The point is Ponty need to move on from this fantasy.

A proper region was already set up and it failed. Which part do you not understand because you're being a Broken Record now.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:19 pm

Mickado wrote:Jen, I’m pretty sure Aaron Dundon has a contract with Leinster now, he’s got a profile on the main site anyway.

He does indeed. And if you click on it you will see he has had 4 games off the bench this season and 3 last season. No starts. Which was the point I was making.

He is a Kiwi who was playing very well at club level (and is Irish Qualified) and got a contract on the back of that. Leo Auva'a was the same, (also IQ, also a Kiwi, also played well for a club) but once he got up to pro fitness levels he has proven to be quite a player.

As regards players putting their hand up. Outside of real class like Dave Kearney, Nathan White etc. The halfbacks were great, much better than their showing during the WC. (Quality of opposition may have helped here) By all accounts Luke McGrath will be one to watch but him and the outhalf replacement only got 5 mins, as did the talented Jack O'Connell at prop. Hudson and Macken were the pick of the other backs.

Jack McGrath is a real talent and a huge fecker. Would not like to get between him and his dinner.

Back row were all excellent, as were the 2nd row. Perhaps easier to look good when you win 32 0 but impressed nonetheless.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:27 pm

Yeah, have heard great things about McGrath, Gilsenan and Murphy has looked good when he’s been promoted to the senior team.

Glad to hear the second row performed well, they’ll have a tough match up in the next game.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:43 pm

Morgannwg wrote:A proper region was already set up and it failed. Which part do you not understand because you're being a Broken Record now.

Yes because a region was setup 10 YEARS AGO and got shut down by the WRU and because Pontypridd got futher than any other Welsh Premiership side but lost to Leinster A this is all concrete evidence that the Valleys could not have a region

You hate Pontypridd. We get it. Your the one sounding like Broken Record

Im just as much to blame as I commented on this WUM of an article it should have just been allowed to sink to the bottom of the forum where it belongs

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:16 pm

The only thing sinking to the bottom is the idea of Ponty having it's own Region!

I think the valleys are doing a good job of feeding the superclubs, where they (the mighty four) bring through some of their best players and turn them into professionals. Ponty are the only ones being bitter about the situation Steffan and I had hoped they would be brought back down to earth after this result.

Jenifer McLadyboy and Mickado, stay on topic.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmy Moz Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:55 pm

Just to let you all know the campaign to Reform Regional Rugby is going great and a meeting has been held involving Owen Smith and the Economic consultants involved who are backing the plan. Other people in attendance included members of the WRU. This will be on an upcoming episode of ‘Week in week out’ on BBC One Wales

Jimmy

Jimmy Moz

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:17 pm

Laugh
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:21 pm

Morgannwg wrote: Laugh

Yes you are a joke Wink

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:24 pm

Morgannwg wrote:

We were trying to rescue the thread from sinking in a sea of negativity

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:26 pm

Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:We were trying to rescue the thread from sinking in a sea of negativity

We should have just let it sink in the first place

Dont give the Rugby 606V2 clown the attention he craves...

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:27 pm

Can someone else do a thread where the ins and outs of the actual match are discussed then?!

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:32 pm

The purpose was to show yet another reason why the WRU and people of Wales should not give in to those of Pontypridd, as was clearly stated in the write-up.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:59 pm

Mickado wrote:Can someone else do a thread where the ins and outs of the actual match are discussed then?!

Can't do that mun. It's not the Welsh way if you hadn't noticed already.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:15 pm

Steffan wrote:and because Pontypridd got futher than any other Welsh Premiership side but lost to Leinster A

Really? They got as far as Llanelli and a round less than Crosskeys who are still in. Bit more accuracy please.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:46 pm

Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:
Morgannwg wrote:

We were trying to rescue the thread from sinking in a sea of negativity

Don't even defend yourself, who the flip gave this guy the authority anyway? Talk about what you want. Your topic sounds much more interesting anyways Smile Did you get to see the game? How did Kearney Jr do this time?

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:47 pm

Mickado wrote:Can someone else do a thread where the ins and outs of the actual match are discussed then?!

No go ahead and talk about it here!

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:01 pm

Thank you to Risca_Rev. The mighty Keys flying the flag very well this year. Too bad for them the Dragons will be taking Steffan Jones permanently.

Rory, McLadyboy, etc; your comments are off topic. Take them elsewhere.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:06 pm

The topic is about Leinster A vs Pontypridd, I don't see how you can tell anyone to go anywhere. There is already a topic about discussing Pontypridd. Why don't you take this discussion there instead? You don't exactly control the forums either you know Smile

So I would like to hear more from Mikado etc on the Leinster A game if they don't mind!

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:06 pm

boxing Leinster 'A' 32 - 0 Pontypridd 3559488474
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:08 pm

So Gibson did you see the game? Smile

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:26 pm

I didnt Rory. Will be at the SF v Munster in Donnybrook - for sure. Its on the same weekend as the HC QF. Grand.

Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:42 pm

Was a good game. But most of all it was very shocking.

The Ponty fans were really nice. no horns. no pitchforks.
Nothing.

nearly fell out of the stand..........

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:55 pm

How was Jordi Murphy? I am very interested in his development.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:58 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:How was Jordi Murphy? I am very interested in his development.

Really good. Played 6. Young lad gilsenan was great at 7 too despite getting carded.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:36 am

Jen, do you think Mark Flanagan will have a future in the Leinster squad? I know there was a lot of good things written after his one start, thought he carried well and looked to have good hands. Having Toner there is certainly a safety blanket for any younger lock. Didn't hurt that they're cousins too I suppose.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:29 am

Mickado wrote:Jen, do you think Mark Flanagan will have a future in the Leinster squad? I know there was a lot of good things written after his one start, thought he carried well and looked to have good hands. Having Toner there is certainly a safety blanket for any younger lock. Didn't hurt that they're cousins too I suppose.

Himself and Keogh played really well. There are no real stand out locks in the Leinster squad behind Leo. Toner obviously the best and I like him, but not everyone does. Browne is a good player, but he will never trouble the Ireland squad.

The other locks in the squad & Academy (bar Flanagan) are all to short, (Marshall and Ruddock senior) at 6'4", and like Kev Mc will probably be 4 5 6 players.

Lock is not a flashy position anyway and is about doing a job. I think Flanagan will come on over the next few years and we shall see then. But he has the basics to make it in the game.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:06 am

So you'd be in favour of signing Brad Thorn? I think he'd be a fantatic stop gap, we're 1 injury away from a crisis I'd say.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:48 am

Mickado wrote:So you'd be in favour of signing Brad Thorn? I think he'd be a fantatic stop gap, we're 1 injury away from a crisis I'd say.

Fock yeah. Who wouldn't? A bit old, and just had a huge long season, but even on one leg he is still one of the best in the game.

Sykes gone and Leo gone for an op. We were a bit thin even before this. We should manage the rabo games during the 6n baring injury. But we need someone for sure.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:09 pm

Being selfish it’s probably a good thing Toner isn’t in the 6nations squad right now. Himself and Browne to start with McLaughlin or Ruddock to cover the bench. It’s not ideal but our next games are Treviso and Scarlets at home, and Glasgow and Aironi away. We’re 9 points clear at the moment and I think only 1 of those fixtures is losable (Glasgow away) so I think we can make it through the 6nations ok, but you’d never know when Cullen will be back, an extra week here or there and we’re playing the HC quarter final with our 3rd choice lock from last year and a new guy this year.

Just looking at the rest of the fixtures here – after the 6nations we’ve got Ospreys (H), Munster (A), Edinburgh (H), Ulster (A), Dragons (A). apart from the 2 away games in Ireland I’d be fairly confident we can win the rest of them.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:18 pm

Mickado wrote:Being selfish it’s probably a good thing Toner isn’t in the 6nations squad right now. Himself and Browne to start with McLaughlin or Ruddock to cover the bench. It’s not ideal but our next games are Treviso and Scarlets at home, and Glasgow and Aironi away. We’re 9 points clear at the moment and I think only 1 of those fixtures is losable (Glasgow away) so I think we can make it through the 6nations ok, but you’d never know when Cullen will be back, an extra week here or there and we’re playing the HC quarter final with our 3rd choice lock from last year and a new guy this year.

Just looking at the rest of the fixtures here – after the 6nations we’ve got Ospreys (H), Munster (A), Edinburgh (H), Ulster (A), Dragons (A). apart from the 2 away games in Ireland I’d be fairly confident we can win the rest of them.
Ruddock is only to be used in the 2nd row in an emergency. (like last week when Browne was binned). I would not count on him there.

Kev can do a job there, but you can't beat a proper 2nd row, and we only have 3, Browne Flanagan and Toner. It will be very hard to retain a HC with those players. Seeing as we are also likely to be missing Shaggy, and Bod may only make the last few games of the season.

That's a lot of experience to loose, and that's before Healy, Ross, Heaslip, SOB, Darce, Rob and possibly Sexto get flogged for all 5 intl tests in the 6N. Who knows what shape they will come back to us in.

I would like to use our 9 point advantage to rest a few key players in the Ulster, Edinburgh and Dragons games, to have them fresher at the business end of the season. (late April and May basically, providing we win our QF v Cardiff)

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:27 pm

I think if we get get 2 BP wins and 2 non BP wins out of our next 4 games (should be doable) we can rest players later in the season. We're not just looking to retain the HC, we're out for a double and we need to finish in top spot in the league to give us the best chance.

There might be a few of us from here going to the B&I cup semi final - we should have a pint before it OK

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next