The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

European Tour: Omega Dubai Desert Classic

+15
puligny
navyblueshorts
Skydriver
Shotrock
dynamark
twoeightnine
Fader
McLaren
ScottieD18
pedro
NedB-H
EmmDee57
kwinigolfer
Sand
princedracula
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

European Tour: Omega Dubai Desert Classic Empty European Tour: Omega Dubai Desert Classic

Post by princedracula Thu 09 Feb 2012, 7:45 am

As we know, the last part of the desert swing takes place in Dubai this week.
Backing Rory to win this week, but there are some sizzling rounds on the way already especially the one from Cabrerra-Bello, who is currently 9-under after 11 holes!!! Unquestionably an early 59-watch is in place there (or indeed a slump now that I just mentioned him). Thomas Bjorn continuing to play very well and I really hope Colsaerts gets a result to put him through to the Match Play. Luiten and Noren are also in that chase and having decent starts....

princedracula

Back to top Go down

European Tour: Omega Dubai Desert Classic Empty Re: European Tour: Omega Dubai Desert Classic

Post by Sand Thu 09 Feb 2012, 10:00 am

Think you put the curse on Cabrera Bello.. No birdies after you mentioned him Wink

Sand

Back to top Go down

European Tour: Omega Dubai Desert Classic Empty Re: European Tour: Omega Dubai Desert Classic

Post by princedracula Thu 09 Feb 2012, 10:28 am

Yep, and one or two others as well devil
Still an outstanding round of golf from RCB, I've been waiting for a few years now for this guy to break through, and still waiting...
Rors having a very shaky start, I wonder how much of an impact Caro's presence over there is having on his game and concentration... Poor start from the defending champ (Quiros) as well. But look at Daly, he's back at it again, 2-under after 7...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by Sand Thu 09 Feb 2012, 11:03 am

Youve done it again, Daly 3 under thru 8 now level through 9....

Sand

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Thu 09 Feb 2012, 11:05 am

Triple bogey, that's what I call a proper jinx Laugh
Ok, who's next, let me think...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 09 Feb 2012, 11:50 am

For those looking to qualify for the WGC MatchPlay, I'd imagine R C-B would get right to the brink of qualification, perhaps about 60th?

Colsaerts (69th) in 4th, but Luiten, Noren, Manassero and Coetzee need to improve their positions.

Most intriguing good performance for me is Richard Sterne's 66 - still don't know what his season's prognosis is, but nothing wrong with hoping he one day returns to his best.

Rory has presumably just received a revised incentive plan from Caro . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by EmmDee57 Thu 09 Feb 2012, 12:18 pm

Hole in 1 from Stephen Gallagher today.

EmmDee57

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Thu 09 Feb 2012, 12:19 pm

kwini, almost anyone up to ~#130 or so (depending on everyone's circumstances and divisors) playing in Dubai are still in with a chance, i.e. via a win. Guys like RCB or Shane Lowry for example could still end up around Ernie's position with a win this week. That threshold is somewhat higher for the Pebble guys (from ~#110 or so).

Indeed, whatever Caroline whispered in his ear, seems to work a treat on these late holes for Rory... Although a more prosaic explanation could be the fact that the average difficulty index for the front 9 holes today is ~6.4, while for the back 9 is almost twice that ~12.6...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 09 Feb 2012, 1:56 pm

Great second nine from Kaymer - a high finish here would almost assure Europe of the top four seeds at the WGC MatchPlay!!!!
(Altho' Stricker might have something to say about that.)

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Thu 09 Feb 2012, 1:56 pm

Nice young leaderboard here, 7 out of the top 10 under 30 leaving only Sterne (30), Siem (31) and Bjorn. Obviously McIlroy and Kaymer are already in the elite, wonder who'll be the next to step up from this group? It's also strange how players develop at different rates, and as a result we don't appreciate how old/young they are... bizarre to think that Jamieson (28) is only a year younger than Colsaerts and Bourdy (29), who seem to have been around for ever. Likewise Sterne and Siem.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu 09 Feb 2012, 3:13 pm

Interesting to see what Bjorn can do this week. Has won here before (head to head with Tiger) and has had decent showings in Abu Dhabi and Qatar.

His problem has always been his Thursday round, but is always dangerous in the weekend. Actually, both in Qatar and Abu Dhabi he had the best last two rounds scores of the field (R3+R4 in Abu Dhabi, R2+R3 in Qatar.) But with a 66 today it looks good for him looking into the weekend.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Fri 10 Feb 2012, 8:45 am

Fantastic round from Rory (-13), the way he plays at the moment even on a day like this makes it feel like he could have scored even better. We'll see if RCB can catch him later, but a great day for Gallacher and Coetzee as well, two of those many who can still hope for a late ticket to Tucson.
Also very good play from Ben Curtis, once again coming here almost from nowhere, and playing some very solid golf...
Just a late correction here, unfortunately Gallacher is to far off and even a win won't be enough for Match play... But he certainly looks like he's coming back to form this last few weeks and hopefully he'll have a good season...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Fri 10 Feb 2012, 10:08 am

Cabrerra-Bello is having a very good start...

But while that goes on, here are a few quick stats about Rory's play in recent times, to put in perspective the sort of form he is in at the moment.

This week is his 10th event played since the begining of September 2011, so he completed 9 events and 38 rounds in total to date...

- his finishing positions in the last 9 events were: 3, 3, 2, 2, 1, 4, 1, 11, 2,... and looks like another 1 or 2 is on the way this week !

- stroke average over the last 38 rounds played: 67.84 !

- in these last 38 rounds, only one round was over par, and even that one was over par by just one shot! (a 73 3rd round in Korea) !

A simply outstanding run of form and results!

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by ScottieD18 Fri 10 Feb 2012, 10:40 am

Princedracula,

An amazing run of events for Rory. I knew it was good, but not that good.

I caught his interview on sky yesterday. Basically he was not happy with his swing two weeks ago (still came second) and this week he is trying out some swing changes (2 ahead after 2 rounds having been 1 over for the first 7 holes).

This could be the prelude to amazing season for Rory. If he could win the Masters then he'll finally bury last's years traincrash and will probably go to No.1 in the rankings.

ScottieD18

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 10 Feb 2012, 10:42 am

Prince

Great bunch of numbers there, thanks for posting. I did not realise just how well McIlroy was playing at the moment. I remember a few times we wondered how well mcilroy would do if he stopped throwing in his weekly 76, it seems he produces the sort of form that will see him reach number one in the coming months. I hate to think of the hype if he enters the masters as the number 1.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Fri 10 Feb 2012, 10:55 am

Cheers guys... here's one more stat, this time over longer term...

- he has only 2 MCs since May 2010 ! Interestingly enough, these two MCs were at the Wells Fargo and the US Open, the two US events that he actually won (before/after the MC) during the same period !

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 10 Feb 2012, 11:29 am

Stenson moving through the field, a rare sighting if ever there was one.
Jeev Milkha and Kjeldsen up there also, almost as rare.

Great stat on Rory, pd. Very interested to see how he fares over here, hope he changes his schedule a little from what we've seen in previous years - ditching the Honda would be a good start; would prefer to see him play Transitions.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by ScottieD18 Fri 10 Feb 2012, 11:30 am

Lawrie has birdied the first 3 par 3's. Can he birdie the last one for the set and make the cut.

Anyone here ever birdied all par 3's.

ScottieD18

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Fri 10 Feb 2012, 11:35 am

That's true kwini, something seems not quite 'right' with Stenson today... well, actually I see he just got a bogey after that eagle, so he may get back to 'normal' soon...
Bjorn is relentless in his good form these days, great to see...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by Fader Fri 10 Feb 2012, 11:56 am

Nice hole in one for Kaymer.

Very Impressive stat on McIlroy seems he is now settping up to the next level which is good to see and seems to be doing a lot of growing up and no being as petulant as he was as little as 12 months ago.

To Scotties question, my best is 2 out of 4 in one round but had chance at all 4 of them. Would be an impressive thing to do at my course as the par 3's all other as good a chance at bogey

Fader

Back to top Go down

Post by twoeightnine Fri 10 Feb 2012, 12:11 pm

NedB-H wrote: It's also strange how players develop at different rates, and as a result we don't appreciate how old/young they are... bizarre to think that Jamieson (28) is only a year younger than Colsaerts and Bourdy (29), who seem to have been around for ever. Likewise Sterne and Siem.

There is a theory that to truly master something you need to put in 10,000 hours of practice. As it is accepted that you can really only practice for 1,000 hours a year this basically means that you need about 10 years to get there. You get the odd person like Tiger and Rory who started about the same time they could stand so by the time they got to 20 they had loads more in the bank than someone like Kaymer who really started about 15 and picked up his major at 25.

Whether you believe in the talent myth or not there is pretty compelling evidence that it is practice that makes you. See John Daly for an example of the other side of the coin.

Scottie D: Unfortunately not me but I played in a Pro-Am at my course where the pro birdied 5 of the 6 par 3s we have and the one he missed lipped out from about 9'. It was the first par 3 so no pressure thinking that he could do all of them. Pretty impressive. He was a bit peed off though as he had been feeling ill so almost didn't turn up so decided not to enter the 2's sweep!!

twoeightnine

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 10 Feb 2012, 12:23 pm

Birdieing all four par 3's.
Looks like Lawrie did the trick.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Fri 10 Feb 2012, 12:26 pm

I have made four 2's in one round(one on a short par 4) which was very handy in the 2 sweep money.
Unfortunately I have to say it was winter tees and greens but very nice at the time.(a long time ago)

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Fri 10 Feb 2012, 12:28 pm

Reminds me of the pro course record at our club Matt Morris I think.About 8 under but did not birdie any of the 5s or 2s did it all with birdie 3s.

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by Sand Fri 10 Feb 2012, 12:38 pm

Great round from Stenson - 8.. Where has his game been?!

Sand

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 10 Feb 2012, 12:59 pm

Just had a butcher's at a Gareth Maybin trick shot video, with a little snooker and footie skill thrown in.
Looks like he could do the next European Tour promotional video all by himself.
Wish he'd win a golf tournament though . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Fri 10 Feb 2012, 1:13 pm

See that light at the end of the tunnel? It's the Rory train. Up early doing some paperwork and watched some of the tournament today. Really impressive.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by Skydriver Fri 10 Feb 2012, 3:53 pm

Can't remember exactly who we have / had on here who are Melissa Reid fans, but I see she's tied 3rd in the Aus Open (fittingly at Royal Mel-bourne). Appears to be a co-sanctioned event by the LET and LPGA.

[I am reminded of a Melissa I used to work with many years ago whom I sometimes called "Malicious" (partly because she was / she certainly called me far worse things)... No insinuation intended about Ms Reid though, I'm sure she's very amiable.]

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Fri 10 Feb 2012, 4:07 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Just had a butcher's at a Gareth Maybin trick shot video, with a little snooker and footie skill thrown in.
Looks like he could do the next European Tour promotional video all by himself.
Wish he'd win a golf tournament though . . . .
Just had a look myself after you said it... amazing stuff!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8u2IzU7l6bA

I'd say that probably explains in a way why he didn't win, must be spending hundreds of hours working on those trick shots...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 10 Feb 2012, 5:29 pm

princedracula wrote:...- stroke average over the last 38 rounds played: 67.84 !...
Holy High Draw Batman! That's pretty impressive by any standards. Can only be an exceptional year if he keeps that level of form.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 10 Feb 2012, 5:33 pm

Tiger woods managed 67.79 in 2000 for 76 rounds and that is considered the greatest season ever. Just shows how good a year it could become for rory.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 10 Feb 2012, 5:34 pm

twoeightnine wrote:...Whether you believe in the talent myth or not...
Talent myth? I don't think so. No doubt practice can maximise talent but don't believe everything Mathew Syed says....
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 10 Feb 2012, 5:35 pm

McLaren wrote:Tiger woods managed 67.79 in 2000 for 76 rounds and that is considered the greatest season ever. Just shows how good a year it could become for rory.
Yeah. Whatever else anyone says about TW, a 67.79 average on Tour setups over 76 rounds is astonishing.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Fri 10 Feb 2012, 5:58 pm

McLaren wrote:Tiger woods managed 67.79 in 2000 for 76 rounds and that is considered the greatest season ever. Just shows how good a year it could become for rory.
By who? I thought the greatest season ever was Nelson in 1945.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 10 Feb 2012, 7:29 pm

Ned

If it helps avoid another Tiger debate shall we say the best season in modern golf. Either way, the point is that Rory's current scoring average is that of someone able to produce some very special stuff. I have to say it raises his ability in my eyes. It is truly astonishing.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Fri 10 Feb 2012, 10:12 pm

Colsearts is king of the trick shots - haven't watched any vies for a while but he is seriously talented.

Interesting comment from Kaymer to Jimenez leaving tee after his hole in one. Seemed to indicate that bet with caddy meant caddy gets the watch and Kaymer 20 euros! Do recall a few years ago T Bjorn tossing the keys of a car just won for hole in one to his caddy (I think now working for GMaC) and saying "you can have that"

Bjorn playing so well and Westwood amazing final 3 holes and great score for someone who didn't a hole a putt of any length!

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Sat 11 Feb 2012, 8:59 am

Good start from the heavy weights at the top, Rory, Bjorn, Kaymer and specially Lee who's catching up fast with the two leaders. Very happy to see Colsaerts doing what he's supposed to do this week. Better from Luiten today, but will have to do at least as well tomorrow to have any chance for MatchPlay.
Finally, has to be said, a great round from Daly today again, good to see some positive consistency from him for a change...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Sat 11 Feb 2012, 10:42 am

Too much praise for McIlroy wasn't good for him, slipping back a bit right now. Bjorn is powering ahead though and Lee is following him.

Ben Curtis' surprising performance is gathering pace, not only he is (I think)the only one left in the field without a bogey all week so far, but he just got an eagle at the 13th pushing him up to 3rd place tied with Kaymer, Rory and others. Overall the US showing this week in Dubai has been more than decent...

... and my cursing makes another victim, Curtis follows the eagle with first bogey of the week.

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 11 Feb 2012, 11:14 am

What a leaderboard! Lee a birdie machine, with seven so far!!

Glad to see Curtis playing well, his demise has been exaggerated, lousy year in 2011, but he's still a decent player though with perilously little status on the PGA Tour for this year.

Lawrie has improved by one stroke each day - probably would sew up his trip to Doral with a continuation of that sequence.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 11 Feb 2012, 12:20 pm

Would love to see Westwood win this.
Big Sundays ahead for Coetzee, Colsaerts and Luiten . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Skydriver Sat 11 Feb 2012, 1:08 pm

Did I hear correctly from somewhere that Westwood just needed a top 10 last week to have the biggest lifetime ET earnings (overtaking Ernie Els)? Must be v likely that he'll do it this week if that's so.

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Sat 11 Feb 2012, 1:14 pm

A few times in the past I had the feeling that when Lee was leading a tournament he could get unsettled by someone coming strongly behind him and threatening his lead, but this time I think Bjorn and McIlroy may have been themselves a bit rattled by Lee's marching up the leaderboard. Should be a great final round tomorrow!

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Sat 11 Feb 2012, 10:31 pm

What happened to Rory today, was it the wind? Looks like his high ball flight is quite a liability in those conditions. Disappointing, was expecting him to make a bit of a move instead of scraping home in level par.

Kaymer to win tomorrow!
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Sun 12 Feb 2012, 8:38 am

Wow, what an eagle 2 for Westy at the short par 4 2nd hole!
Putted in his second shot from way outside the green...

He's gonna be hard to catch at this rate. Rory and Bjorn going backwards...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Sun 12 Feb 2012, 10:21 am

Didn't think there was someone on the tour who could make Shane Lowry look svelte, but now I know there is at least one (Sjoholm). Great push from Coetzee today, T4 at the moment and he'll squeeze in the Match Play with that. Colsaerts going well also, but Luiten would need to pick up at least one more shot in the last two holes to have a chance...

Rory looks determined to spoil all those stats that I've posted the other day, must've cursed him badly...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Sun 12 Feb 2012, 10:32 am

Only difference is Tiger knows how to win a tournament. Rory typically shoots the lights out on Thursday and Friday then does his best to lose the tournament over the weekend. I hope this is just the phase of his career where he is learning how to win, much like Donald and Harrington had a lot of runner-up spots before they won with regularity.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 12 Feb 2012, 11:40 am

Lowry and Sjoholm were playing together yesterday, tilted the greens.

Assuming Luiten's toast?

Come on Lee!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Fader Sun 12 Feb 2012, 12:35 pm

Not a great display with the putter from Westwood, I'd die for his long game but often wonder about his reading of the greens. His putting stroke looks very solid and he always "near" misses the putts.

Hope he can at least force a playoff with RCB

Fader

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Sun 12 Feb 2012, 12:43 pm

So to clarify, RCB gets into the Matchplay only if he wins, Gallacher can't whatever happens, Colsaerts is likely already in. Is that right?

I've followed RCB since he joined the tour, not sure why but I've always liked him, hoping he can hold on one way or another.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sun 12 Feb 2012, 12:47 pm

What the hell is wrong with westwood. It was like he knew he short game is rubbish so just didn't even try. Did he crack under pressure?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next