The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England Release Players for Club Duty

+13
robbo277
yappysnap
majesticimperialman
bluestonevedder
bedfordwelsh
formerly known as Sam
Luckless Pedestrian
B91212
beshocked
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
munkian
HammerofThunor
Chjw131
17 posters

Go down

England Release Players for Club Duty Empty England Release Players for Club Duty

Post by Chjw131 Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:45 am

Here's a list:

M Brown (Harlequins), C Clark (Northampton Saints), P Doran Jones (Northampton Saints), T Flood (Leicester Tigers), C Lawes (Northampton Saints), J Marler (Harlequins), L Mears (Bath Rugby), B Morgan (Scarlets), T Palmer (Stade Francais), C Sharples (Gloucester Rugby), J Simpson (London Wasps), M Stevens (Saracens), M Tuilagi (Leicester Tigers), J Turner-Hall (Harlequins), T Waldrom (Leicester Tigers), R Webber (London Wasps)

So it would seem that Palmer maybe replaced by Parling for Wales in order to refine the lineout one might imagine. Very disappointed to see Morgan sent back to Scarlets though. Will our back-row balance ever be right?!!!

Chjw131

Back to top Go down

England Release Players for Club Duty Empty Re: England Release Players for Club Duty

Post by HammerofThunor Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:08 am

Morgan has to be sent back as it's outside the international window. After the English clubs not releasing the Welsh players I'd have been very surprised if Scarlets released Morgan. Same goes for Palmer (probably).

Basically the guy who haven't had much game time have been released (along with the ones who been involved in match day sqaud. Parling starting is highly possible since Webber and Stevens have gone back (other benched forwards)

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

England Release Players for Club Duty Empty Re: England Release Players for Club Duty

Post by Chjw131 Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:13 am

Ah, i'd forgotten about the IRB window. Thanks Hammer.

Chjw131

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:15 am

So quickly we've forgotten the bad days when all the players went back to their clubs on the off weekends. It'll be interesting in 2015/16 when the new EPS deal is done (or not done if that's the case).

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:39 am

Heh heh heh 'duty'
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:42 am

HammerofThunor wrote:So quickly we've forgotten the bad days when all the players went back to their clubs on the off weekends. It'll be interesting in 2015/16 when the new EPS deal is done (or not done if that's the case).
Probably a bit early to speculate and off-topic, but could that be the trigger for some major changes?

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:53 am

ah super, I didn't realise we'd have Morgan available this weekend, that's brilliant!

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:57 am

The only surprises are Palmer and Morgan.

Relieved that Youngs hasn't been sent back to find some form.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:58 am

rugbydreamer wrote:ah super, I didn't realise we'd have Morgan available this weekend, that's brilliant!
Please take good care of him! If he must play how about him making a rare appearance on the wing? Or better yet, if he must be in the match day 23 then how about him being an unused sub?

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:01 am

Leinster will run all over him just to annoy the English Wink
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:04 am

Glad Parling is being kept back and really hope he starts against the welsh. Agree Palmer is a surprising call - I thought he was one of those players who had an agreement with his club regarding being called back during non international weekends. Perhaps now he has confirmed his return to Wasps for next season Stade are not being so friendly. Thought he played better against Italy but he looks as though he couldn't last a full 80 minutes at the moment.

I expect Morgan has no agreement in place but if the Scarlets really wanted to keep him for the last year of his contract wouldn't they have given him the opportunity to stay with the squad? Does this mean that his move to the Cherries is already a done deal?

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:22 am

They have no obligation to let him play.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:33 am

B91212 wrote:I expect Morgan has no agreement in place but if the Scarlets really wanted to keep him for the last year of his contract wouldn't they have given him the opportunity to stay with the squad?

They might have done if it wasn't England up next. Wink

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:36 am

B91212 wrote:
rugbydreamer wrote:ah super, I didn't realise we'd have Morgan available this weekend, that's brilliant!
Please take good care of him! If he must play how about him making a rare appearance on the wing? Or better yet, if he must be in the match day 23 then how about him being an unused sub?

I would hope (unfortunately for you sorry!) that we do use him, maybe get him to play the whole match. We are away against Leinster, we need players like Ben on top form for us!

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:53 am

Relieved that Youngs hasn't been sent back to find some form

You'd rather face the in form Sam Harrison? Then again he has forced off at half time last weekend so am currently praying he's not injured as that would leave Grindal first choice and us recquiring a loan from Notts or a call up for Scotland under 20 Steele.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:01 am

rugbydreamer wrote:I would hope (unfortunately for you sorry!) that we do use him, maybe get him to play the whole match. We are away against Leinster, we need players like Ben on top form for us!
Sorry dreamer but even with Morgan back I can't see you getting a result over there, even with their international players like yours missing. To be honest it could do him good to play the whole 80 minutes considering he has only played about 55 minutes in the last 2 weeks. I'm more concerned that he doesn't pick up an injury though, maybe Rhys Ruddock will help out his old mates (or maybe not after what they did to his Dad Wink)

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:19 am

Surely Morgan has to be released unless the RFU have compensated the Scarlets like they do the AP teams.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:31 am

Palmer and Morgan are released back to their clubs because there is no EPS agreement with their clubs. Considering the arguements with Stade last year I think Palmer being sent back is a bit of a peace offering. Morgan could not be kept as the Welsh clubs are not under the EPS system and Morgan definitely does not have a get out in his contract.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:32 am

maybe not a win, but even a LBP is better than nothing B9! We've been fielding a load of 3rd choice players recently, so Ben is going to be needed, even if to give the likes of Gilbert and Murphy a bit of a break.

bedford - yep.

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:41 am

bedfordwelsh wrote:Surely Morgan has to be released unless the RFU have compensated the Scarlets like they do the AP teams.
He must be released, it's outside of the international window and the compensation from the RU is for AP clubs only. My thoughts were if the Scarlets really wanted to keep him after this season or when his contract expires after next, then maybe they could have given him the weekend off and allowed him to stay with the England squad on this occasion as a goodwill gesture between both club and player for the future.

However, he hasn't played much rugby in terms of minutes on the pitch since joining England so it could do him good to get a run out, I just hope he doesn't pick up an injury.

Dreamer - a LPB would be a good result over there and I understand you needing all players when available. I've just got an interest in this particular player, what with him being English and all that. If the roles were reversed with the Saints then I would want my top players turning out wherever possible, especially at a time when many of the top players are away for the whole 6N.

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:46 am

Yeah I thought he had to be released.

But in the past it has been the umbrella body as opposed to the clubs who have refused to release Welsh players.

Few years back Sale were happy to release Peel but got stopped, I wonder if the Scarlets had agree to release him if the WRU would have stepped in.

Maybe Lancaster himself is happy to release him so he gets some gametime.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:48 am

Well the Scarlets may know he's going to England after his contract is finished due to more money being on offer. Don't see how it gives any indication over whether he's leaving early or not (if the Scarlets don't let him go they can stop him from playing for anyone else if he walks, which would be stupid).

Also there is the RRW which covers in the regions in the same way the PRL does for English clubs. They may have made a collective decision not to release players without specific clauses in the contracts.

BedfordWelsh, the umbrella body includes Sale and the Sale representative voted for the decision. The coach could then happily say "I would if I could" knowing full well there was no opinion. Doesn't mean he'd have followed through

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:54 am

Hmmmm.....unhappy to see that Morgan has been released, and Palmer also. Assuming Manu and Flood are just being given the opportunity of another un-around before international duty. I fully expect them to be in the match-day squad

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:58 am

BedfordWelsh, the umbrella body includes Sale and the Sale representative voted for the decision. The coach could then happily say "I would if I could" knowing full well there was no opinion. Doesn't mean he'd have followed through.

With the EPS in place it was always going to be difficult for any other nation to get early release of players because if the PRL allowed that but charged the RFU the cost of the EPS agreement then the poopie would hit the fan. The PRL need the RFU cash from the EPS agreement so are more likely to eat broken glass than release players early. They did actually offer a slightly earlier release of players for the RWC as long as the players were insured by their Union but Wales actually refused to pay the additional insurance.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:59 am

HammerofThunor wrote:Well the Scarlets may know he's going to England after his contract is finished due to more money being on offer. Don't see how it gives any indication over whether he's leaving early or not (if the Scarlets don't let him go they can stop him from playing for anyone else if he walks, which would be stupid).

Also there is the RRW which covers in the regions in the same way the PRL does for English clubs. They may have made a collective decision not to release players without specific clauses in the contracts.

BedfordWelsh, the umbrella body includes Sale and the Sale representative voted for the decision. The coach could then happily say "I would if I could" knowing full well there was no opinion. Doesn't mean he'd have followed through

Hammer,

Fair point but as the coach at the time was Kingsley jones I think he might well have let him go. I was just wondering if the WRU could have made same decision.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:57 am

The Scarlets have already come out and said they won't stand in Ben's way of playing for England, so I don't really see what the issue is. The guys only played about 60mins of rugby in over a month. I would say he was due a full 80mins. You want him match sharp for the game against Wales, no? Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:01 am

I think it is good that some players have been released back to their club for this week end, especialy as most of the players that have been realeased have not played mutch rugby in the last 2 weeks or so, so it will give them game time.

Lets just hope that those who are released do not get injured in the mean time.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:56 am

Brilliant to have Marler, Brown and JTH back for a key game against Worcester. We must win and i'd really like a winning bp!

I wonder if we'll see any of Rowntrees influence on Marler in the crums? Worcester will be a good challenge for him to show his stuff, especially now that Johnston is properly holding his own in the scrums (most of the time).

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:24 am

Palmer's the only one there I would have been reluctant to release, the others all could probably do with a bit more game-time. Understand why Palmer would have been released though.

Who's been retained? I suppose that's a more interesting question in a way.

Corbisiero, Hartley, Cole, Botha, Parling, Croft, Robshaw, Dowson, Youngs, Dickson, Hodgson, Farrell, Barritt, Strettle, Ashton, Foden. Got to assume that all those will be in the 22 against Wales then, fitness permitting.

Youngs would have been released if I were England coach, hopefully to let him get a bit of form and confidence back.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:54 am

Youngs would have been released if I were England coach, hopefully to let him get a bit of form and confidence back.

Yes i would of been happy to see Youngs released, he was dire last week, absolutley dire. furious

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Cadair Idris Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:02 am

rugbydreamer wrote:The Scarlets have already come out and said they won't stand in Ben's way of playing for England, so I don't really see what the issue is. The guys only played about 60mins of rugby in over a month. I would say he was due a full 80mins. You want him match sharp for the game against Wales, no? Smile

I reckon Nigel Davies should give Morgan 80 mins in the 2nd row - would do him good to show a bit of versatility before he buggers off to gloucester and would get him match fit for twickers. And the scarlets are a bit short in the boiler house with lou reed being off on welsh duty! thumbsup

Cadair Idris

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:26 pm

Yes i would of been happy to see Youngs released, he was dire last week, absolutley dire

Most of the team was dire. I'd drop Youngs completely unless England plan to change from their defensive kicking game. He is of little use in a defensive kicking battle so England might as well replace him with somebody who is and send him back to Tigers where he can work on his game.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:43 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:

Most of the team was dire. I'd drop Youngs completely unless England plan to change from their defensive kicking game. He is of little use in a defensive kicking battle so England might as well replace him with somebody who is and send him back to Tigers where he can work on his game.

+1. Think Youngs could really benefit from returning to Tigers for a while, and building up his confidence slowly again. WC's ruined his play-making ability and knocked him for six. While players are away on international duty, it might be the perfect time for him to re-discover his world-class form.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:47 pm

I think Youngs was offered back to the Tigers but the management team at Leicester said "no thanks, you can keep him" Yahoo

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:00 pm

From an England perspective, Youngs should have been sent back to Leicester to rediscover his form.

From a Saracens fan I am pleased Youngs is being retained by England.

Grindal is likely to start against Saracens in his place. Very Happy

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:19 pm

Interesting that Parling and Dickson have been retained, while the other regular subs have been alloed to play for their clubs.

Slightly different situations for the two of them though, as Parling is one of only 2 2nd rows remaining with the squad while Palmer has to go back to his club as they are not covered by the EPS agreement.

Dickson is retained along with Youngs - are they seeing who performs better in training, or are there still issues with Dickson's hand?

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunky Norwich Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:24 pm

B91212 wrote: My thoughts were if the Scarlets really wanted to keep him after this season or when his contract expires after next, then maybe they could have given him the weekend off and allowed him to stay with the England squad on this occasion as a goodwill gesture between both club and player for the future.

What does this mean?

You expect a club who hasn't seen one of their employees for the best part of a month, because he's been in another country, to give that employee another weekend off?

Why's that?

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Chjw131 Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:29 pm

Chunky Norwich wrote:
B91212 wrote: My thoughts were if the Scarlets really wanted to keep him after this season or when his contract expires after next, then maybe they could have given him the weekend off and allowed him to stay with the England squad on this occasion as a goodwill gesture between both club and player for the future.

What does this mean?

You expect a club who hasn't seen one of their employees for the best part of a month, because he's been in another country, to give that employee another weekend off?

Why's that?

Well I think what B9 was trying to say Chunky, was that it might be a good move diplomatically from the Scarlets' point of view if they had any desire to sign Morgan for an extension to his current contract. It would show a willingness as far as international appearances and training goes.

Chjw131

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:31 pm

Chjw131 wrote:
Chunky Norwich wrote:

What does this mean?

Why's that?

Well I think what B9 was trying to say Chunky, was that it might be a good move diplomatically from the Scarlets' point of view if they had any desire to sign Morgan for an extension to his current contract. It would show a willingness as far as international appearances and training goes.

But as has been said before would the WRU or the Regional governing body step in and say no you can't release him like their English counterparts done with Sale and Peel.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunky Norwich Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:39 pm

Chjw131 wrote:

No.

This is an important league game. This is outside of the window. Morgan is a Scarlets employee.
It is ridiculous to sugegst that he shoudln't work for his employers on a non international window as a vague attempt to appease another nations' Union.

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:23 pm

Chunky Norwich wrote:
Chjw131 wrote:

No.

This is an important league game. This is outside of the window. Morgan is a Scarlets employee.
It is ridiculous to sugegst that he shoudln't work for his employers on a non international window as a vague attempt to appease another nations' Union.

I wouldn't say it's ridiculous but it does depend on the situation. Important league game (do they have they in the Pro12? Wink ) and a few injuries could mean they need him. But if it was LV and you had cover then it may possibly happen (unless there was a blanket rule as in England)

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down