The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What Can Be Learned From SuperRugby?

+9
majesticimperialman
Coleman
Taylorman
eirebilly
Luckless Pedestrian
flankertye
HammerofThunor
Biltong
miteyironpaw
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What Can Be Learned From SuperRugby? Empty What Can Be Learned From SuperRugby?

Post by miteyironpaw Fri 24 Feb 2012, 8:43 pm

Watching the highlights as a curtain raiser for the U20's game a few things struck me:

(1) South African rugby doesn't seem to have moved on. New personnel in the Bulls pack. Same game plan. Same result, despite none of the kickers on display being able to reliably hit a barn door from predictably long altitude-enhanced range.

Conclusion: No one will be scared.

(2) Australian rugby hasn't moved on. Some very special looking backs out there. Still a staggering lack of ability to turn up a set of forwards. I'm sure the Wallaby incumbents will be out in force for the Reds/Waratahs tomorrow. But seriously, Deans must be looking for an exit clause in his contract before the Lions show up and torture his tortuous record even further.

(3) New Zealand rugby hasn't moved on. The composed by limited Crusaders missing McCaw and Carter predictably pipped the structureless and wasteful Blues with world cup golden boy Piri Weepu having gained 3 stone and lost the ability to put the ball between the posts. The only highlight was witnessing the Blues copying Hodgson in going in for a charge down try from a careless kicj from the off-song Israel Dagg.

It seems that after the world cup, the SH may have peaked and now be in need of serious rebuilding. However we're not seeing the kind of lightning sparks and green shoots from the bottom half of the world that we're seeing here in the NH.

None of it lived up to the standard we're used to seeing here at club level, let alone the fabulous spectacle that we saw two weeks ago.

Does this mean tomorrow's game may be more important than we thought? Could we be watching a game who's outcome will determine the 1st and 2nd best teams in world rugby?
miteyironpaw
miteyironpaw

Back to top Go down

What Can Be Learned From SuperRugby? Empty Re: What Can Be Learned From SuperRugby?

Post by Biltong Fri 24 Feb 2012, 8:45 pm

Absolutely spot on, the SH has no clue and no potential. Doh
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

What Can Be Learned From SuperRugby? Empty Re: What Can Be Learned From SuperRugby?

Post by HammerofThunor Fri 24 Feb 2012, 8:53 pm

Come on Ghost. It's not that bad.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by flankertye Fri 24 Feb 2012, 10:24 pm

Someone made the point on a thread earlier in the week that the lions is next year and we have the makings of a seriously nasty looking pack.
Props
Healy, Cole, Corbs, Ross, Murray, Jenkins and Jones

Hookers
Hartley, Best, Webber, Ford, Rees, Bennet

Second row.
Oh my lord. Parling, Gray, POC, Attwood, Lawes, Ryan, Davies

Finally. Probably most impressive. The backrow
Pretty much every backrow from the home countries has a shout for the tour.

flankertye

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Sat 25 Feb 2012, 6:03 am

Tye, I can't wait for the Lions tour. The battle for places in the Test back row is going to be something else.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 25 Feb 2012, 6:13 am

As soon as i saw this thread and started reading, i just knew that biltong would be the first comment Wink
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 25 Feb 2012, 6:18 am

<This space reserved for the upcoming 5th vs 6th is it? match in a few hours>
We have a new ewb people...cant wait 'to be scared'

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 25 Feb 2012, 6:23 am

Personally i cant judge the SuperRugby as i havent seen any yet but i do like to watch it as there is more often than not, some excellent skills on show. They are still streaks in front of NH rugby.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Sat 25 Feb 2012, 6:30 am

It's the willingness to try things that impresses me about southern-hemisphere rugby. Yes, it carries risks, but risks can also bring rewards. Nothing ventured and all that.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 25 Feb 2012, 6:33 am

Its just different billy. Its a lot more expansive so although the tries can be brilliant- the sharks this morning the best so far- so can the error rate. Our sides regularly back themselves running several phases inside their 22. You rarely see that up there.
Miteys mentioning of weepus extra helping of xmas turkey is doing its rounds here but is hardly the norm.
Not sure if posting a wum this close to a potentially embarrassing england performance is very smart but hey, why not... Looking forward to it more now... thumbsup

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 25 Feb 2012, 6:37 am

Bang on lucky, they take much more risks whereas in the NH the game is more conservative.

I also think that the handling skills are alot better than the NH. I have been harping on for sometime now about Rugby League being able to help NH teams in the handling and defensive line skills.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 25 Feb 2012, 6:37 am

Taylorman, i would'nt worry mate. Most of us realise that the SH is still way ahead.... for now Wink
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 25 Feb 2012, 6:51 am

All good. This weekend we have 6 superxv matches, two? 6 N matchrs and are currently playing biltongs Proteas in the first ODI so its been great. Mostly looking forward to the 6N matches.
Oops...Masagas just scored a good try for the chiefs after a stupid no look pass by jimmy cowan. SBW hit it up to the line, then out the line to masaga...the flash! love it!

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 25 Feb 2012, 6:52 am

Big weekend for you then Taylorman. Enjoy it and good luck in the cricket Very Happy
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat 25 Feb 2012, 6:56 am

eirebilly wrote:As soon as i saw this thread and started reading, i just knew that biltong would be the first comment Wink
Yeah, I just couldn't help but agree with the OP.

The emoticon was just a slip of the mouse. Wink
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 25 Feb 2012, 7:04 am

thumbsup you too billy...long night ahead here... clap

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 25 Feb 2012, 7:08 am

I bet you could'nt biltong Laugh
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Sat 25 Feb 2012, 7:10 am

eirebilly wrote:Big weekend for you then Taylorman. Enjoy it and good luck in the cricket Very Happy

I suppose I'll wish Biltong good luck in the cricket then!

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat 25 Feb 2012, 7:12 am

eirebilly wrote:I bet you could'nt biltong Laugh
Seriously mate, I did.

I mean think about it, his ability to compare SH rugby on the first game of the season, in fact the first competitive games since the world cup to the NH who has been playing rugby for a few months now is uncanny.

It is impressive to have the ability to ascertain the weaknesses of each hemisphere and immediately recognise who is on top.

I was impressed.

No time wasting, watching a full season of Super rugby is at all necessary.

Premature biased views RULE!! Doh
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 25 Feb 2012, 7:12 am

luckless_pedestrian wrote:
eirebilly wrote:Big weekend for you then Taylorman. Enjoy it and good luck in the cricket Very Happy

You just have to be difficult dont you lucky Very Happy
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Sat 25 Feb 2012, 7:13 am

Just balancing things out, Billy. Wink

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat 25 Feb 2012, 7:14 am

luckless_pedestrian wrote:

Thanks Luckless, but going by your name perhaps not the best idea? Shocked
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Sat 25 Feb 2012, 7:18 am

Laugh Forget I said anything!

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 25 Feb 2012, 7:18 am

Laugh
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat 25 Feb 2012, 7:19 am

luckless_pedestrian wrote: Laugh Forget I said anything!
Sorry
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat 25 Feb 2012, 7:21 am

luckless_pedestrian wrote: Laugh Forget I said anything!
Too late, Duminy out. furious
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 25 Feb 2012, 7:23 am

Man you're good lucky Laugh
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Sat 25 Feb 2012, 7:24 am

Okay, I see how this works:

Good luck England!

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat 25 Feb 2012, 7:26 am

luckless_pedestrian wrote:Okay, I see how this works:

Good luck England!
Laugh I doubt Wales will need much luck mate.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 25 Feb 2012, 7:49 am

Chiefs under smith look good but masaga just went down badly with a knee wrench. Leonard in the same movement. Chiefs injuries plaguing them again. Luckless wayching that one as well?

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Sat 25 Feb 2012, 8:00 am

Don't blame me for that!

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Sat 25 Feb 2012, 8:04 am

The breakdown has been awful in the Cheifs v Highlanders game. Such a different interpretation for the way to manage it out there.

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat 25 Feb 2012, 8:04 am

luckless_pedestrian wrote:Don't blame me for that!
Well mate, our luck has changed, so you can continue wishing us good luck. What Can Be Learned From SuperRugby? 3933776953
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 25 Feb 2012, 8:08 am

Yep. SA to win the cricket. Reds are away biltong. Chance for the tahs?

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat 25 Feb 2012, 8:10 am

I picked the Tahs by 6
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat 25 Feb 2012, 8:12 am

But then i also picked the Chiefs and they just lost.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 25 Feb 2012, 8:18 am

Yeah i picked reds but now im wondering.
Chiefs were 10 clear and after being hit by those injuries highlanders went straight to the lead.
Lions and stormers to round out the round.
Catch that sharks try? loved it.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat 25 Feb 2012, 8:20 am

Jp Pietersen is looking good at centre don't you think?

Mvovo ran very strong. thumbsup
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 25 Feb 2012, 8:56 am

Yeah good to see. They mix it up a lot more at this level, the kicking aside. Good quick ball too with it seems fewer committed to the breakdowns than we seem to.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by miteyironpaw Sat 25 Feb 2012, 9:05 am

Meh. Just stirring the pot.

Anyways, the thing I notice straight off is YET ANOTHER new interpretation at the breakdown this year in S15.

Looks like the pillars in defensive rucks are now being penalised, and if you are participating in a ruck you need to maintain your weight *entirely* on your feet, crabbing in George Smith style on all fours with your knees bent is now a penalty straight away.

My questions are (1) Where did this come from? (2) Why are we seeing yet another north/south split in rule interpretation.

When Ireland role up in NZ, which set of law interpretations will be used? And how grossly unfair will that be on whoever has to get used to the difference?
miteyironpaw
miteyironpaw

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 25 Feb 2012, 9:13 am

Havnt seen enough of the 6N to comment though I don't think the breakdown area will be Irelands biggest problem here somehow.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat 25 Feb 2012, 9:14 am

miteyironpaw wrote:Meh. Just stirring the pot.

Anyways, the thing I notice straight off is YET ANOTHER new interpretation at the breakdown this year in S15.

Looks like the pillars in defensive rucks are now being penalised, and if you are participating in a ruck you need to maintain your weight *entirely* on your feet, crabbing in George Smith style on all fours with your knees bent is now a penalty straight away.

My questions are (1) Where did this come from?
(2) Why are we seeing yet another north/south split in rule interpretation.

When Ireland role up in NZ, which set of law interpretations will be used? And how grossly unfair will that be on whoever has to get used to the difference?

Must be on advice from the top referee in NZ, Bryce Lawrence. Laugh
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by miteyironpaw Sat 25 Feb 2012, 9:15 am

Nice to see you've moved on already Biltong...

Is it just me, or are emoticons missing today?
miteyironpaw
miteyironpaw

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat 25 Feb 2012, 9:17 am

Yeah, I am now in the satirical phase of my recovery. Whistle
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by miteyironpaw Sat 25 Feb 2012, 10:21 am

Are the Waratahs the stupidest team in super rugby? They lead by 3 points with 10 seconds to go. They have the ball ... they have a knock on advantage. So what do they do? Punt the ball long down field, and Brisbane run the length of the field and score to win the game.

All they had to do was hold the ball, and fall back to the knock on advantage and kick the ball out. Just stupid, stupid, stupid nonsense.
miteyironpaw
miteyironpaw

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sat 25 Feb 2012, 10:26 am

I thought that James Haskel played well today for the Highlanders when he came on. Scrapped for the ball in the last throwes of the game to win a penatlty for the highlanders to win the game.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat 25 Feb 2012, 10:37 am

miteyironpaw wrote:Are the Waratahs the stupidest team in super rugby? They lead by 3 points with 10 seconds to go. They have the ball ... they have a knock on advantage. So what do they do? Punt the ball long down field, and Brisbane run the length of the field and score to win the game.

All they had to do was hold the ball, and fall back to the knock on advantage and kick the ball out. Just stupid, stupid, stupid nonsense.

Yeah, they just dropped me on the sportsguru.

As thick as mud. Doh
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Sat 25 Feb 2012, 10:50 am

tbf im not agreeing with mitey op but he makes a point about the rule changes....why is it always the S15 that gets to trial them?

and also why do we need them? the RWC was a good spectacle, the only area that needs clarification is the scrum

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 25 Feb 2012, 11:14 am

Taylorman wrote:Its just different billy. Its a lot more expansive so although the tries can be brilliant- the sharks this morning the best so far- so can the error rate. Our sides regularly back themselves running several phases inside their 22. You rarely see that up there.
I think this is the big point. I think it simply is different. A slight bit different style of play, different players, different commentators, good Rugby (though the Bulls-Sharks match yesterday was not a great match).

For some reason, and I have observed this before, it does appear to actually look better on tv - the actual production quality appears better. Not sure why that would be, but it is very clear. Much closer to the production standards we see with NFL games. Gives a real big time feel to it, even in smaller older grounds.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by OzT Sat 25 Feb 2012, 11:15 am

biltongbek wrote:Yeah, I am now in the satirical phase of my recovery. Whistle

Phew that's flipping deep mate!!! Well good on ya!!

LOL!!

OzT

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next