The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Woods - will he ever be good again

+15
neutral07
Noshankingtonite
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
sharrison01
drive4show
navyblueshorts
McLaren
LondonJonnyO
MustPuttBetter
Davie
Redrage
golfermartin
super_realist
Doc
SetupDeterminesTheMotion
19 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Woods - will he ever be good again - Page 2 Empty Woods - will he ever be good again

Post by SetupDeterminesTheMotion Fri 25 Mar 2011, 9:35 am

First topic message reminder :

After yesterday's deplorable 34 putts, is Woods gone forever.

What is the bigger story, the former World No 1 taking a 73; or the current world No 3 taking an 80.

According to all the media outlets, it looks like the former World No 1, is the bigger story.

Will the world media ever leave him alone, to make a comeback, or will he be in front of the cameras all the way ?

Are they now putting the boot in ? Not allowing him the breathing space to make any sort of recovery.

Or will he just walk away....
SetupDeterminesTheMotion
SetupDeterminesTheMotion

Back to top Go down

Woods - will he ever be good again - Page 2 Empty Re: Woods - will he ever be good again

Post by NedB-H Thu 14 Apr 2011, 9:33 pm

super_realist wrote:Ned, that's the whole point though isn't it. One of Woods main strengths was the ability to put four good rounds together and win a tournament by a mile.
He hasn't done that for well over a year, and doesn't look like doing so any time soon. Therefore he is no longer out on his own and is probably in a group of 12 or so who are likely to challenge consistently in majors but without dominating.
Exactly super... the only point I'd disagree on is that I'd have the group much bigger than 12.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Woods - will he ever be good again - Page 2 Empty Re: Woods - will he ever be good again

Post by super_realist Thu 14 Apr 2011, 9:37 pm

NedB-H wrote:
super_realist wrote:Ned, that's the whole point though isn't it. One of Woods main strengths was the ability to put four good rounds together and win a tournament by a mile.
He hasn't done that for well over a year, and doesn't look like doing so any time soon. Therefore he is no longer out on his own and is probably in a group of 12 or so who are likely to challenge consistently in majors but without dominating.
Exactly super... the only point I'd disagree on is that I'd have the group much bigger than 12.

I agree with you there, far from Golf being interesting just because Woods has rekindled some sort of form, and I use the word "interesting" loosely as we are talking about the worlds most boring sportsman, the sport has become more entertaining because picking a winner from such a strong field is far more difficult. There is nothing remotely interesting about any spectator sport if one player or one team wins everything. 2011 thus far is therefore one of the best starts to a golf year we have had in a very long time, purely because of the quality of the golf, the variety of winners and the difficulty in predicting a winner.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by neutral07 Fri 15 Apr 2011, 4:02 pm

Noshankingtonite wrote:neutral:
It's fine and dandy doing things after the fact - it's when he has these public petulant displays that he let's himself down. And yes I am competitive in work and in sport and NO I don't agree with the current ethos in schools for your info. I do however believe in ettiquette and behaving appropriately on the course.

Firstly i hope you are not a teacher then, secondly, show me a good loser and i will show you a loser, references to tennis dont mean much, just like in golf, everybody shakes hands and as far as i know Woods does that. As for showing dissappoint when he expects to stiff a shot and he doesnt, swearing, chucking his club in disgust or spitting [i do not have a problem]. Too many fans are far too overbearing and there is a case of seeing what you want to see or hearing what you want to ear in the case of this interview, tourney as it turned out was no where near conclusion [Scott was leading @ the time, playing well only player ahead Woods] & he responded to the awful questions asked as far as i know

neutral07

Back to top Go down

Post by SetupDeterminesTheMotion Fri 15 Apr 2011, 4:14 pm

oldparwin wrote:

I have not seen the hunger and determination in Tigers eyes on Sunday, for a long time, he is back and bet against him at your peril.

Remember i said it first, would not be shocked if he bagged the other 3 Majors this year.

As they say up here "Nae Chance"
SetupDeterminesTheMotion
SetupDeterminesTheMotion

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 15 Apr 2011, 7:00 pm

That tired hackneyed old phrase of "show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser" is complete and utter claptrap.
Nicklaus is the great golfer of all time, coming second a staggering amount of times. Did he manifest his disappointment by slamming his clubs into the ground, swearing and spitting,? No, even though he was probably inwardly seething.
You can be the best player in the world, but still be a good loser and present yourself in a modest and adult way. Woods does neither.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Noshankingtonite Sat 16 Apr 2011, 1:28 pm

Neutral:

If you have never done so, I strongly recommend you go away and read 'If' by Rudyard Kipling. Perhaps then you'll appreciate where I'm coming from...
Noshankingtonite
Noshankingtonite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2