The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Just thinking about the English players who have made themselves unavailable through playing at foreign clubs

+3
eirebilly
ChequeredJersey
7 posters

Go down

Just thinking about the English players who have made themselves unavailable through playing at foreign clubs Empty Just thinking about the English players who have made themselves unavailable through playing at foreign clubs

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 02 Mar 2012, 3:27 pm

Only the ones who aren't too "past it", and you can still make the foundations of a decent 15-

15-Balshaw (OK, he's past it)
14-
13- Noon
12- Geraghty
11- Sackey
10- Cipriani
9-

1- Freshwater (really old now...)
2-
3- Sheridan soon
4- Shaw (Schofield)
5- Palmer (though we are still picking him. hmm)
6- Lund (and Lipman)
7- Armitage
8-Haskell (soon Narraway too)

Is this good to have players getting experience in other leagues and reducing the French talent there, or bad because we are missing out on them at the moment? Is this what New Zealand feel like? Is this approach going to affect the French National team in the next few years?
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Just thinking about the English players who have made themselves unavailable through playing at foreign clubs Empty Re: Just thinking about the English players who have made themselves unavailable through playing at foreign clubs

Post by 123456789 Sat 03 Mar 2012, 5:53 pm

I don't soon what you gain from this venture not many would go anyway and it's good to have players playing a different style of rugby to add variety.

Back to top Go down

Just thinking about the English players who have made themselves unavailable through playing at foreign clubs Empty Re: Just thinking about the English players who have made themselves unavailable through playing at foreign clubs

Post by eirebilly Sat 03 Mar 2012, 6:02 pm

I think that its a very good idea for players to get experience in other countries, even if its just for a year. I would love some of our Irish players to go and play in the SH, there is a wealth of experience to be had there.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sat 03 Mar 2012, 6:19 pm

I agree, and I think that especially the back-rowers will benefit from playing in the different styles of breakdown seen in the S15 or T14. If Haskell gets some good time at 7 I think he will come on leaps and bounds in NZ and hopefully the same at 8
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 03 Mar 2012, 6:24 pm

Its just that i feel that the intensity in SH rugby is greater and i feel that some of our good NH players would learn loads playing in the environment.

If the NH teams struggle to beat SH teams playing the the NH way, why not learn the SH play?
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sat 03 Mar 2012, 6:36 pm

Morgan Headscratch

Its only the ones like HAskell and Cipriani who are totally unavailable, although it has been mentioned in relation to Narraway that hes been told his move to France puts him out the picture.

As said above if these players come back better because of it then fine. Otherwise, England have a choice ...do without them, or have a squad that will be more prone to injuries mid tournament, more tired and has less time training together. Oh and scrap the cash cow 4th AI as well.

Or try and sort the NH season out so its more sensibly organissed.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sat 03 Mar 2012, 6:43 pm

I think the most of those players that you have metiond, are only playing abroad because ( Their international carrer)is over and because they are, or have been out of favour with the England coach. Regardless of who that coach is.

And i think the England team is far better for it any way.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 04 Mar 2012, 2:07 pm

Isn't Haskell the only player on that list that might be in contention for further caps?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sun 04 Mar 2012, 3:06 pm

maestegmafia wrote:Isn't Haskell the only player on that list that might be in contention for further caps?

Armitage surely is
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 04 Mar 2012, 3:08 pm

Armtiage the flanker...? Yes you are right I guess he is....! though England never really seem very interested in him though do they.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sun 04 Mar 2012, 3:09 pm

Yeah, it's silly because we could really do with a 7
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 04 Mar 2012, 6:22 pm

i have no idea why we dont pick players from other leagues- it doesnt make any sense in my mind at all!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 04 Mar 2012, 6:30 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:Yeah, it's silly because we could really do with a 7
I agree the england backrow with out a form seven like they had in Moody or Hill lacks edge. Rob shaw is not the man, Saull or Armitage might be.

Armitage had been around for a decent while though and England paid little interest.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sun 04 Mar 2012, 8:02 pm

mystiroakey wrote:i have no idea why we dont pick players from other leagues- it doesnt make any sense in my mind at all!!

Because the players arent available for training and playing outside the IRB windows ( eg Morgan has played for Scarlets rather than resting/training with the rest of teh first 15) , the England medical staff dont have full access to the players and cant set their fitness plans for the whole season, and England cant limit the number of games those players play in a season.

Players with release written into their contracts will be considered equally to those without it. Signing ones that dont suggests the players are more concerned about their club careers than they are committed to team England.

Ignoring all that the ones based in the SH would be a big problem whatever. of the one sin the NH we are talking Armitage who would be in with a shot of a place, aside form Palmer whos already been dropped and only got a game because Deacon and Lawes were injured. Armitage (Steffon) has never been more than a fringe player for England.

If there were that big a reason to pick a player based in France then England would.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 04 Mar 2012, 8:05 pm

i was abit gutted about sacky personally- i think he is awesome!

thanks for the heads up biscuit

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down