The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2013 unlucky for some

3 posters

Go down

2013 unlucky for some Empty 2013 unlucky for some

Post by manofgwent Tue 06 Mar 2012, 10:07 pm

With Wales looking like they're on the brink of another Grand Slam, I'm finding the merry-go-round at all 4 regions hard to believe. I've not known a time quite like this. When you think just how quiet the regions were last summer, all 4 regions are going to look very different. All 4 are losing several top players and there are bound to be more to follow.
The Blues are finally having a good clear out, but are losing Laulala and possibly Henson. The future of where they are playing their rugby is still up in the air too.
The Dragons. Well where do I begin. Losing Tovey, Brew, Charteris and quite possibly more. Other than San evans I have no idea who's coming in, but I haven't been too impressed with Edwards recruitment so far. The Bisley stand looks the part, but unless the Dragons invest in the squad I'm afraid it's been a waste of money. Another season of mediocrity and Amlin cup rugby awaits.
The Scarlets. They could quite possibly be the strongest of the Welsh regions next season. They have lost several key players, but crucially have kept hold of some top welsh talent. The Scarlets also have the best buzz amongst welsh fans. They've gone from being the lowest welsh region to producing the core of the current welsh team.
The ospreys. I think the O's could be scraping around the basement with the Dragons. Losing a whole host of stars in just 2 seasons. It's great to see a lot of welsh talent getting starts and that's great for the national side, but I worry about the kind of attendances they will get next season. A few years ago they were a team of Galacticos, with only Leicester Tigers selling more jerseys in Britain than them. I remember before the regions came in, that Swansea were getting less than 1,000 at ST Helens when they were having a mediocre season. A team that still contained, Gibbs, Charvis, taylor etc.
It's crazy to see how well the national side is doing, when the regional game looks in crisis. One massive plus, is just how many players the regions are producing, but the regions won't compete in the HC and the Eabo just isn't getting the pulses racing amongst the casual rugby fan.

manofgwent

Back to top Go down

2013 unlucky for some Empty Re: 2013 unlucky for some

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 07 Mar 2012, 9:22 am

MOG I can see where you are coming from, but I a do still believe that the media do like to sell doom and gloom, especially in Wales.

Every season there is doom and gloom around this time for one of the regions. I remember this time last season being told that the Scarlets were going to suffer badly next season (well this season now), due to Regan King and Dai Lyons leaving, but instead of that what has happened is the youngsters have stepped up and shown what they can do. I see no reason for it not to be the same at the other regions.

I do believe the Ospreys may find it the hardest of the regions to deal with the 'exodus', however when you look at the teams they have feilded this season, not many of the teams have included the players that are leaving. Yes Bowe, Williams, and Walker are gone (and Barry Davies is meant to be off), but the Ospreys have fielded Dirkson and Eli Walker on the wings this season a fair bit.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Wed 07 Mar 2012, 11:52 am

manofgwent wrote:
It's crazy to see how well the national side is doing, when the regional game looks in crisis.

I agree it does seem crazy, but with all things considered it doesn't surprise me.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down