The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Theo Walcott

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Theo Walcott - Page 2 Empty Theo Walcott

Post by azania on Tue 06 Mar 2012, 11:06 pm

First topic message reminder :

Has the stick he's been getting justofied? A lot of expectation was heaped on him as a 16 yr old when he was selected to go to the world cup. This season he#s been the butt of much of arsenal's jekyl and hyde season. But look at his stats. He has the highest assist (or is it second) in the EPL, Arsenal's second top scorer with 8 goals. And he's being played out of position throughout his Arsenal career. He is not a winger. Does anyone thing Rooney would be effective as a winger?

I rate Theo highly.

Thoughts?

azania

Posts : 19471
Join date : 2011-01-29
Age : 108

Back to top Go down


Theo Walcott - Page 2 Empty Re: Theo Walcott

Post by Guest on Mon 18 Jun 2012, 5:04 pm

Theo is technically an appaling footballer, however he has fantastic pace and that is what has kept him at the very top of the english game. His passing is woeful, his first touch is the majority of the time shocking but it's his pace that enables him to stretch teams defences and put the opposition on the back foot which is extremely important. Without his pace, I believe he would be playing in league one.

Put Theo up against a talented pacey full back and Walcott is going to struggle. A perfect example would be Jose Enrique. Walcott has been anonymous at the Emirates every time Enrique has played there because if pace cannot be the decisive factor in getting past the full back then Theo is in trouble. He lacks any technical skill to manoeuvre the ball or bamboozle a defender with step overs or any other footwork. That is why Theo in my opinion along with his unpredictable final ball and crossing has never been a guaranteed starter for both club and country. He's not useless, he's very effective as a sub or against tiring OAP defenders like Sweden have but up against quality defenders is what separates Theo from the truly world class wingers. I think what goes in Walcott's favour in terms of stats against other wingers last season is that anything Walcott did produce was being finished by RVP (in the form of his life) so it made Walcott's stats enhanced.


Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Theo Walcott - Page 2 Empty Re: Theo Walcott

Post by Crimey on Mon 18 Jun 2012, 5:07 pm

Without his pace, I believe he would be playing in league one.

I hate this argument. You take away any player's primary skill and they would probably be significantly poorer footballers. Van Persie without finishing ability wouldn't be a Premier League striker, Tiote without tackling ability would not be playing for Newcastle.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Posts : 16490
Join date : 2011-02-14
Age : 26
Location : Galgate

Back to top Go down

Theo Walcott - Page 2 Empty Re: Theo Walcott

Post by Guest on Mon 18 Jun 2012, 5:12 pm

Yes but is pace a skill? It's more of a talent. I do see where your coming from. I wasn't entirely slating Walcott. I think he's effective at what he does and what he can offer but he's very unpredictable and the majority of the time ineffective. Somehow though he manages to perform at matches of real importance...Barcelona, Spurs and now Sweden. So it's not all bad from my end.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Theo Walcott - Page 2 Empty Re: Theo Walcott

Post by Crimey on Mon 18 Jun 2012, 5:20 pm

I think for Walcott it's a skill, he'll have worked on his pace in the same way that some players would work on finishing.

It starts as a talent, and is nurtured into a skill.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Posts : 16490
Join date : 2011-02-14
Age : 26
Location : Galgate

Back to top Go down

Theo Walcott - Page 2 Empty Re: Theo Walcott

Post by Ent on Mon 18 Jun 2012, 5:54 pm

Crimey wrote:I think for Walcott it's a skill, he'll have worked on his pace in the same way that some players would work on finishing.

It starts as a talent, and is nurtured into a skill.

I don't think physical attributes can be considered a skill.

What next praising Crouch for being tall or Heskey for being strong. They are assets but lets not pretend they are high quality skills because you train to optomise them.

Ent

Posts : 7337
Join date : 2011-05-02

Back to top Go down

Theo Walcott - Page 2 Empty Re: Theo Walcott

Post by azania on Mon 18 Jun 2012, 6:09 pm

Ent wrote:
Crimey wrote:I think for Walcott it's a skill, he'll have worked on his pace in the same way that some players would work on finishing.

It starts as a talent, and is nurtured into a skill.

I don't think physical attributes can be considered a skill.

What next praising Crouch for being tall or Heskey for being strong. They are assets but lets not pretend they are high quality skills because you train to optomise them.

Its how they use their physical attributes. You hardly find Theo off-side because he times his runs very well.

azania

Posts : 19471
Join date : 2011-01-29
Age : 108

Back to top Go down

Theo Walcott - Page 2 Empty Re: Theo Walcott

Post by azania on Mon 18 Jun 2012, 6:13 pm

John wrote:Theo is technically an appaling footballer, however he has fantastic pace and that is what has kept him at the very top of the english game. His passing is woeful, his first touch is the majority of the time shocking but it's his pace that enables him to stretch teams defences and put the opposition on the back foot which is extremely important. Without his pace, I believe he would be playing in league one.

Put Theo up against a talented pacey full back and Walcott is going to struggle. A perfect example would be Jose Enrique. Walcott has been anonymous at the Emirates every time Enrique has played there because if pace cannot be the decisive factor in getting past the full back then Theo is in trouble. He lacks any technical skill to manoeuvre the ball or bamboozle a defender with step overs or any other footwork. That is why Theo in my opinion along with his unpredictable final ball and crossing has never been a guaranteed starter for both club and country. He's not useless, he's very effective as a sub or against tiring OAP defenders like Sweden have but up against quality defenders is what separates Theo from the truly world class wingers. I think what goes in Walcott's favour in terms of stats against other wingers last season is that anything Walcott did produce was being finished by RVP (in the form of his life) so it made Walcott's stats enhanced.


Ashley Cole is a better defender and look what Theo did to him. He is not a dribbler, far from it. Neither was Beckham a dribbler. But Theo's first touch is normally superb and to control the ball at the pace he runs is a skill in itself.

Theo is as much a winger as Thierry Henry was a winger. If Walcott hadn't put the ball in the right place, RvP wouldn't have scored. That argument is absolutely stupid John. The fact that he produced them consistently is lost on you.

azania

Posts : 19471
Join date : 2011-01-29
Age : 108

Back to top Go down

Theo Walcott - Page 2 Empty Re: Theo Walcott

Post by azania on Mon 18 Jun 2012, 6:17 pm

compelling and rich wrote:az, when has walcott performed for a whole season? on his day he certainly is a threat but that day doesnt come often enough. think playing more regualrly for arsenal is helping but if he was as good as your harping on about then arsenal shouldnt have been struggling as bad as they did.

lets look at other wingers playing for top sides (got the stats from espn)

apperances/goals/assists
valencia- 33 6 15
bale 47 15 15
wallcott 48 11 11

now valencia has had a season broken up with injuries yet he's played 15 games less and still made more assists. lacking in goals of course but always lacked that in his game. bale beats him all round. now i know that might be a tad harsh on walcott as ive picked two of the best wingers in the prem but even someone like strurridge whos had a very hot and cold season has scored more than walcott (13 goals) and he's been playing on the wing and a bit part role at times.

now considering only the two manchester clubs out scored arsenal and yet walcott was still behind these players suggests that he clearly hasnt performed all season, otherwise he should be right up there. whether or not you think he should be playing up front is another matter, i'll take wengers judgement over yours, as ive said before defences would only need to sit deep and thats the majority of walcotts game gone if playing up front.



He's been injured for much of the previous season. He's gained full match fitness since Xmas and has produced the goods.

Valencia was playing for a better team and spurs play through Modric and Bale. Most of their attacks come from their better players. Most of arsenal attacks came from everywhere.

azania

Posts : 19471
Join date : 2011-01-29
Age : 108

Back to top Go down

Theo Walcott - Page 2 Empty Re: Theo Walcott

Post by azania on Mon 18 Jun 2012, 6:21 pm

dancingweeman wrote:
compelling and rich wrote:az, when has walcott performed for a whole season? on his day he certainly is a threat but that day doesnt come often enough. think playing more regualrly for arsenal is helping but if he was as good as your harping on about then arsenal shouldnt have been struggling as bad as they did.

lets look at other wingers playing for top sides (got the stats from espn)

apperances/goals/assists
valencia- 33 6 15
bale 47 15 15
wallcott 48 11 11

now valencia has had a season broken up with injuries yet he's played 15 games less and still made more assists. lacking in goals of course but always lacked that in his game. bale beats him all round. now i know that might be a tad harsh on walcott as ive picked two of the best wingers in the prem but even someone like strurridge whos had a very hot and cold season has scored more than walcott (13 goals) and he's been playing on the wing and a bit part role at times.

now considering only the two manchester clubs out scored arsenal and yet walcott was still behind these players suggests that he clearly hasnt performed all season, otherwise he should be right up there. whether or not you think he should be playing up front is another matter, i'll take wengers judgement over yours, as ive said before defences would only need to sit deep and thats the majority of walcotts game gone if playing up front.



Walcott may have been beaten by Bale and Valencia, but he is the top Englishman on the list, so surely he deserves his place?

I think Theo gets a raw deal. I think he's a lot better than he gets credit for, and even though he's been around for a long time, he is still only 22. I struggle to remember what someone like Giggs was at that age, but it wouldn't surprise me if he was a similar player, quick & direct but maybe a bit technically naive.

If speed is your main asset, why wouldn't you use it and why should you get penalised for not doing something else? You learn and adapt as a footballer as you get more experienced. Give him a chance and i'm sure he'll do the same.

Giggs was brilliant at that age.

azania

Posts : 19471
Join date : 2011-01-29
Age : 108

Back to top Go down

Theo Walcott - Page 2 Empty Re: Theo Walcott

Post by Ent on Mon 18 Jun 2012, 6:28 pm

azania wrote:
Ent wrote:
Crimey wrote:I think for Walcott it's a skill, he'll have worked on his pace in the same way that some players would work on finishing.

It starts as a talent, and is nurtured into a skill.

I don't think physical attributes can be considered a skill.

What next praising Crouch for being tall or Heskey for being strong. They are assets but lets not pretend they are high quality skills because you train to optomise them.

Its how they use their physical attributes. You hardly find Theo off-side because he times his runs very well.

Still doesn't mean it's a skill does it? Lets face it, he will always be considered limited/undeveloped if in the future all we ever talk about is his pace as his primary attribute. Henry, Giggs, Ronaldo etc were all lightning fast but it was just another attribute for them.

Ent

Posts : 7337
Join date : 2011-05-02

Back to top Go down

Theo Walcott - Page 2 Empty Re: Theo Walcott

Post by Crimey on Mon 18 Jun 2012, 6:51 pm

Ent wrote:
azania wrote:
Ent wrote:
Crimey wrote:I think for Walcott it's a skill, he'll have worked on his pace in the same way that some players would work on finishing.

It starts as a talent, and is nurtured into a skill.

I don't think physical attributes can be considered a skill.

What next praising Crouch for being tall or Heskey for being strong. They are assets but lets not pretend they are high quality skills because you train to optomise them.

Its how they use their physical attributes. You hardly find Theo off-side because he times his runs very well.

Still doesn't mean it's a skill does it? Lets face it, he will always be considered limited/undeveloped if in the future all we ever talk about is his pace as his primary attribute. Henry, Giggs, Ronaldo etc were all lightning fast but it was just another attribute for them.

Well if you're going to compare him to three of the best players in modern times than obviously he won't come off looking great.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Posts : 16490
Join date : 2011-02-14
Age : 26
Location : Galgate

Back to top Go down

Theo Walcott - Page 2 Empty Re: Theo Walcott

Post by Ent on Mon 18 Jun 2012, 7:17 pm

Crimey wrote:
Ent wrote:
azania wrote:
Ent wrote:
Crimey wrote:I think for Walcott it's a skill, he'll have worked on his pace in the same way that some players would work on finishing.

It starts as a talent, and is nurtured into a skill.

I don't think physical attributes can be considered a skill.

What next praising Crouch for being tall or Heskey for being strong. They are assets but lets not pretend they are high quality skills because you train to optomise them.

Its how they use their physical attributes. You hardly find Theo off-side because he times his runs very well.

Still doesn't mean it's a skill does it? Lets face it, he will always be considered limited/undeveloped if in the future all we ever talk about is his pace as his primary attribute. Henry, Giggs, Ronaldo etc were all lightning fast but it was just another attribute for them.

Well if you're going to compare him to three of the best players in modern times than obviously he won't come off looking great.

To approach from another angle, if in 5 years time his pace is still considered his main asset do you think he will be starting for Arsenal/England or be considered a good to top player?

Ent

Posts : 7337
Join date : 2011-05-02

Back to top Go down

Theo Walcott - Page 2 Empty Re: Theo Walcott

Post by Crimey on Mon 18 Jun 2012, 7:23 pm

I imagine he's probably close to his peak now, and he's an alright player. The only reason he's slated so much is because the impression we received at the start of his career was that Walcott was more than just an alright player.

I think there is a lot more to consider than just whether Walcott still has pace as to whether he'll be starting for England and Arsenal in 5 years time. A lot will change in 5 years, much of it will have an effect on Walcott's career.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Posts : 16490
Join date : 2011-02-14
Age : 26
Location : Galgate

Back to top Go down

Theo Walcott - Page 2 Empty Re: Theo Walcott

Post by azania on Mon 18 Jun 2012, 8:13 pm

Ent wrote:
azania wrote:
Ent wrote:
Crimey wrote:I think for Walcott it's a skill, he'll have worked on his pace in the same way that some players would work on finishing.

It starts as a talent, and is nurtured into a skill.

I don't think physical attributes can be considered a skill.

What next praising Crouch for being tall or Heskey for being strong. They are assets but lets not pretend they are high quality skills because you train to optomise them.

Its how they use their physical attributes. You hardly find Theo off-side because he times his runs very well.

Still doesn't mean it's a skill does it? Lets face it, he will always be considered limited/undeveloped if in the future all we ever talk about is his pace as his primary attribute. Henry, Giggs, Ronaldo etc were all lightning fast but it was just another attribute for them.

Is Rooney as good as any of them?

azania

Posts : 19471
Join date : 2011-01-29
Age : 108

Back to top Go down

Theo Walcott - Page 2 Empty Re: Theo Walcott

Post by sportform on Mon 18 Jun 2012, 9:50 pm

John wrote:Theo is technically an appaling footballer, however he has fantastic pace and that is what has kept him at the very top of the english game. His passing is woeful, his first touch is the majority of the time shocking but it's his pace that enables him to stretch teams defences and put the opposition on the back foot which is extremely important. Without his pace, I believe he would be playing in league one.
This is a complete load of rubbish! His pass completion rate last season was around 80%, he had more assists last year in the Premier League than any other English player and only Ashley Young has had more since the last World Cup.

The reason Theo Walcott made an impact against Ukraine was not because of his pace more about his movement and how he used the ball.

For me the reason why England don't keep the ball is not because they are bad at passing but rather their lack of movement which means when a player received the ball they are immediately under pressure. You could also add to that the fact that England players (particularly Parker and Gerrard) avoid playing the simple ball and try to force the game.

Take a look at England's second and third goals. With the equalizer Walcott had found himself in plenty of room, was able to control the ball and get a strike on target. Nothing to do with his pace.

With the build up to the second goal, Walcott ran into space in the centre circle, received the ball in plenty of room and when the Swedish players committed towards him he played a simple ball. Because he got the ball in space, when the Swedes moved to close him down it created space for England to move the ball up the park. Walcott then ran into space again in the final third to received the ball.

I have always said Walcott is a forward and not a winger. He doesn't play as an out-and-out winger for Arsenal, he plays more of an inside right. Yes he is quick but his game is move about movement, running between defenders and playing simple balls. Arsenal's game is about passing and keeping possession not about getting the ball wide and whipping crosses in so why people (including pundits, media) expect Walcott to dribble the ball 50 yards and send crosses in, when his game has never been about that, I don't know?

sportform
sportform

Posts : 1440
Join date : 2011-06-01

Back to top Go down

Theo Walcott - Page 2 Empty Re: Theo Walcott

Post by azania on Mon 18 Jun 2012, 11:18 pm

sportsville wrote:
John wrote:Theo is technically an appaling footballer, however he has fantastic pace and that is what has kept him at the very top of the english game. His passing is woeful, his first touch is the majority of the time shocking but it's his pace that enables him to stretch teams defences and put the opposition on the back foot which is extremely important. Without his pace, I believe he would be playing in league one.
This is a complete load of rubbish! His pass completion rate last season was around 80%, he had more assists last year in the Premier League than any other English player and only Ashley Young has had more since the last World Cup.

The reason Theo Walcott made an impact against Ukraine was not because of his pace more about his movement and how he used the ball.

For me the reason why England don't keep the ball is not because they are bad at passing but rather their lack of movement which means when a player received the ball they are immediately under pressure. You could also add to that the fact that England players (particularly Parker and Gerrard) avoid playing the simple ball and try to force the game.

Take a look at England's second and third goals. With the equalizer Walcott had found himself in plenty of room, was able to control the ball and get a strike on target. Nothing to do with his pace.

With the build up to the second goal, Walcott ran into space in the centre circle, received the ball in plenty of room and when the Swedish players committed towards him he played a simple ball. Because he got the ball in space, when the Swedes moved to close him down it created space for England to move the ball up the park. Walcott then ran into space again in the final third to received the ball.

I have always said Walcott is a forward and not a winger. He doesn't play as an out-and-out winger for Arsenal, he plays more of an inside right. Yes he is quick but his game is move about movement, running between defenders and playing simple balls. Arsenal's game is about passing and keeping possession not about getting the ball wide and whipping crosses in so why people (including pundits, media) expect Walcott to dribble the ball 50 yards and send crosses in, when his game has never been about that, I don't know?


clap clap

azania

Posts : 19471
Join date : 2011-01-29
Age : 108

Back to top Go down

Theo Walcott - Page 2 Empty Re: Theo Walcott

Post by The Special Juan on Tue 19 Jun 2012, 11:44 am

"he had more assists last year in the Premier League than any other English player and only Ashley Young has had more since the last World Cup."

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/ashley-young/profil/spieler_14086.html

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/theo-walcott/profil/spieler_33713.html

Walcott will always be an impact sub. He has ridiculous pace so if you throw him on in the 70th minute he will probably set up a goal if he crosses properly. 9/10 he doesn't.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Posts : 20900
Join date : 2011-02-14
Location : Twatt

Back to top Go down

Theo Walcott - Page 2 Empty Re: Theo Walcott

Post by Guest on Tue 19 Jun 2012, 12:08 pm

Basically there's no point trying to argue against Walcott on here because as is always his fans come rushing to the forums after every good performance to vent their fury at his doubters. Croatia, Barcelona, Spurs and now Sweden, we seen it all before. The fans come on here highlighting his magical performances, yet they seem to forget the reason why he's a sub for the majority of the time. The reason because in between those highlights is the real Theo Walcott. An appaling footballer with a clear and evident lack of technical ability that would enable him to become a starter for club and country and push him into the bracket of a world class winger.

You can throw all the stats in the world at Walcott doubters, it won't change their mind and the reason for this is because they've seen for their very own eyes since he burst onto the scene that he is a very limited footballer, reliant solely on pace. Stats can be very misleading and as football fans you all should know that.

I still cannot believe that someone said Theo Walcott's first touch is superb. You've clearly never watched an Arsenal match. Let's agree to disagree on Theo and leave it at that. Very Happy

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Theo Walcott - Page 2 Empty Re: Theo Walcott

Post by Crimey on Tue 19 Jun 2012, 12:25 pm

You can throw all the stats in the world at Walcott doubters, it won't change their mind

In other words, I am so stubborn that even in the face of evidence to the contrary I won't change my mind. That isn't something to boast about, it's called ignorance.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Posts : 16490
Join date : 2011-02-14
Age : 26
Location : Galgate

Back to top Go down

Theo Walcott - Page 2 Empty Re: Theo Walcott

Post by Guest on Tue 19 Jun 2012, 12:40 pm

He's an average player who through your constant use of stats are trying to elevate him into being a geniunely good winger, something that time and time again throughout his career he has proven isnt the case. I along with many football fans, pundits and ex players have the same opinion that he is a player with a distict lack of technical ability that relies on pace. We have that opinion because we have seen him week in week out in the premier league, fail to deliver. This failure and unpredictable performance is the reason his very own club and international managers have preferred him to be an impact sub. Why? This is because he's most effective attribute is pace and therefore coming on against tired opponents brings out the maximum effectiveness in Theo's game.

Stop highlighting occassional performance and stats from one season or period of time and missing out the real Theo that people see most weekends

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Theo Walcott - Page 2 Empty Re: Theo Walcott

Post by azania on Tue 19 Jun 2012, 2:03 pm

John wrote:Basically there's no point trying to argue against Walcott on here because as is always his fans come rushing to the forums after every good performance to vent their fury at his doubters. Croatia, Barcelona, Spurs and now Sweden, we seen it all before. The fans come on here highlighting his magical performances, yet they seem to forget the reason why he's a sub for the majority of the time. The reason because in between those highlights is the real Theo Walcott. An appaling footballer with a clear and evident lack of technical ability that would enable him to become a starter for club and country and push him into the bracket of a world class winger.

You can throw all the stats in the world at Walcott doubters, it won't change their mind and the reason for this is because they've seen for their very own eyes since he burst onto the scene that he is a very limited footballer, reliant solely on pace. Stats can be very misleading and as football fans you all should know that.

I still cannot believe that someone said Theo Walcott's first touch is superb. You've clearly never watched an Arsenal match. Let's agree to disagree on Theo and leave it at that. Very Happy

Factually incorrect again. If you can't get the basics correct, why bother making bold statements? Or were you just making stuff up as you went along?

Point is, you mentioned that any good left back will have Theo in his pocket. Ashley Cole and the Barca LBs didn't. I could name many more but what's the point? If you expect show pony tricks, then Theo is not your man obviously. If you want direct play which scares the lives of defenders and midfielders alike so much so that they play deeper, then Theo's your man.

azania

Posts : 19471
Join date : 2011-01-29
Age : 108

Back to top Go down

Theo Walcott - Page 2 Empty Re: Theo Walcott

Post by Guest on Tue 19 Jun 2012, 2:46 pm

Factually wrong, give over Walcott fan club! Good left backs do have Theo is their pocket and if you'd bothered to watch the last two times Enrique played at the Emirates you will know that Theo was anonymous and Newcastle and Liverpool won on both occassions. Theo was actually booed by his own set of supporters and how do I know that? Well that's because I was there in the away end but I guess you will still say I'm wrong or you might throw another stat at me to suggest otherwise. Yes, he terrorises old, slow and poor left backs but he was up against Abidal who's like 34 and last season when Walcott played Ashley Cole in the 5-3 win it was at a time when Chelsea and Cole were in disaray and guess what that co-incided with Ashley Cole being dropped from the first team.

I have an opinion and I certainly know a significant amount of information about the Premier League and Theo Walcott so don't accuse me of being factually incorrect. Go and print out your stats, while I and the rest of us actually go and witness the players performances and abilities with our very own eyes.

Walcott has a superb first touch..... Laugh

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Theo Walcott - Page 2 Empty Re: Theo Walcott

Post by azania on Tue 19 Jun 2012, 3:41 pm

5pur2 fan eh? Say no more.

You are funny. You say Chelsea were in dissaray but fail to acknowledge that Arsenal were also in disaray when 'pool beat them.

You are factually incorrec twhen you say that Theo started most games on the bench. Wrong as wrong can be. PHACT!

azania

Posts : 19471
Join date : 2011-01-29
Age : 108

Back to top Go down

Theo Walcott - Page 2 Empty Re: Theo Walcott

Post by Crimey on Tue 19 Jun 2012, 4:07 pm

He's a Newcastle fan.

John, you keep talking about facts, but the facts support Walcott, your own eyes don't support Walcott, but your eyes are actually one of the poorest form of evidence due to the fact that our own preconceptions can actually affect what we see, by the way, that isn't my opinion, that's a fact.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Posts : 16490
Join date : 2011-02-14
Age : 26
Location : Galgate

Back to top Go down

Theo Walcott - Page 2 Empty Re: Theo Walcott

Post by Ent on Tue 19 Jun 2012, 4:14 pm

azania wrote:
Ent wrote:
azania wrote:
Ent wrote:
Crimey wrote:I think for Walcott it's a skill, he'll have worked on his pace in the same way that some players would work on finishing.

It starts as a talent, and is nurtured into a skill.

I don't think physical attributes can be considered a skill.

What next praising Crouch for being tall or Heskey for being strong. They are assets but lets not pretend they are high quality skills because you train to optomise them.

Its how they use their physical attributes. You hardly find Theo off-side because he times his runs very well.

Still doesn't mean it's a skill does it? Lets face it, he will always be considered limited/undeveloped if in the future all we ever talk about is his pace as his primary attribute. Henry, Giggs, Ronaldo etc were all lightning fast but it was just another attribute for them.

Is Rooney as good as any of them?

Not really the point is it? Top players might have electric pace but it is usually not the main focus/attribute highlighted when assessing the player. The likes of Craig Bellamy is the level you aspire to if pace is your main asset and not just one of the many tools at your disposal.

Ent

Posts : 7337
Join date : 2011-05-02

Back to top Go down

Theo Walcott - Page 2 Empty Re: Theo Walcott

Post by azania on Tue 19 Jun 2012, 5:53 pm

The point is Theo is being compared to Henry, Giggs and Ronaldo. Those are elite footnallers. Theo is not elite. He is just a very good player. My point is, Rooney is called world class, but he has never been as consistant or as good as those 3 but its never held against him.

azania

Posts : 19471
Join date : 2011-01-29
Age : 108

Back to top Go down

Theo Walcott - Page 2 Empty Re: Theo Walcott

Post by Josiah Maiestas on Tue 19 Jun 2012, 6:57 pm

Ashley Cole and the Barca LBs didn't.
Yeah, Ashley Cole can't handle the electric, dazzling, composure of Walcott...

pull the other one you loony!
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Posts : 6700
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 31
Location : Towel Island

Back to top Go down

Theo Walcott - Page 2 Empty Re: Theo Walcott

Post by Guest on Tue 19 Jun 2012, 7:19 pm

haha totally agree.....absolute loons on here, pure walcott fan club everywhere you look.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Theo Walcott - Page 2 Empty Re: Theo Walcott

Post by sportform on Tue 19 Jun 2012, 7:23 pm

TSC wrote:"he had more assists last year in the Premier League than any other English player and only Ashley Young has had more since the last World Cup."

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/ashley-young/profil/spieler_14086.html

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/theo-walcott/profil/spieler_33713.html

Walcott will always be an impact sub. He has ridiculous pace so if you throw him on in the 70th minute he will probably set up a goal if he crosses properly. 9/10 he doesn't.
I don't know what the point of those links is? You obviously don't watch Walcott or Arsenal much then as there game is based on passing the ball and not getting the ball wide and whipping crosses in. Walcott's game isn't based on making 40 yard dribbling runs. His game is based on movement and keeping possession.

Walcott isn't a winger. He doesn't play as a winger for Arsenal. He plays more in an inside right position between the full back and centre back.
sportform
sportform

Posts : 1440
Join date : 2011-06-01

Back to top Go down

Theo Walcott - Page 2 Empty Re: Theo Walcott

Post by sportform on Tue 19 Jun 2012, 7:30 pm

azania wrote:The point is Theo is being compared to Henry, Giggs and Ronaldo. Those are elite footnallers. Theo is not elite. He is just a very good player. My point is, Rooney is called world class, but he has never been as consistant or as good as those 3 but its never held against him.
Good point. The media, fans, pundits always pick up Walcott on misplaced crosses shots but other top players get away with bad games scott free.

People say Walcott's not consistent but then again they say that pretty consistently when Walcott has had a good game.

Someone compared Gareth Bale's stats to Walcott's last season and Bale was better. What is interesting is when Bale won Player of the Year in 2011-12 Theo Walcott had had the better season.
sportform
sportform

Posts : 1440
Join date : 2011-06-01

Back to top Go down

Theo Walcott - Page 2 Empty Re: Theo Walcott

Post by azania on Tue 19 Jun 2012, 7:59 pm

Josiah Maiestas wrote:
Ashley Cole and the Barca LBs didn't.
Yeah, Ashley Cole can't handle the electric, dazzling, composure of Walcott...

pull the other one you loony!

OK, Jacka$$, fact is Cole didn't. Theo scored 2 and created another. Simple fact for you there.

azania

Posts : 19471
Join date : 2011-01-29
Age : 108

Back to top Go down

Theo Walcott - Page 2 Empty Re: Theo Walcott

Post by azania on Tue 19 Jun 2012, 8:00 pm

sportsville wrote:
azania wrote:The point is Theo is being compared to Henry, Giggs and Ronaldo. Those are elite footnallers. Theo is not elite. He is just a very good player. My point is, Rooney is called world class, but he has never been as consistant or as good as those 3 but its never held against him.
Good point. The media, fans, pundits always pick up Walcott on misplaced crosses shots but other top players get away with bad games scott free.

People say Walcott's not consistent but then again they say that pretty consistently when Walcott has had a good game.

Someone compared Gareth Bale's stats to Walcott's last season and Bale was better. What is interesting is when Bale won Player of the Year in 2011-12 Theo Walcott had had the better season.

Problem is at 16 he was taken to the world cup. Expectations were ridiculous after that. People judge him against the likes of Messi which is unfair to say the least. Rooney gets a pass. Bale gets a pass when he is more inconsistent that Theo and is still living off the Milan game.

azania

Posts : 19471
Join date : 2011-01-29
Age : 108

Back to top Go down

Theo Walcott - Page 2 Empty Re: Theo Walcott

Post by compelling and rich on Tue 26 Jun 2012, 10:03 am

azania wrote:
sportsville wrote:
azania wrote:The point is Theo is being compared to Henry, Giggs and Ronaldo. Those are elite footnallers. Theo is not elite. He is just a very good player. My point is, Rooney is called world class, but he has never been as consistant or as good as those 3 but its never held against him.
Good point. The media, fans, pundits always pick up Walcott on misplaced crosses shots but other top players get away with bad games scott free.

People say Walcott's not consistent but then again they say that pretty consistently when Walcott has had a good game.

Someone compared Gareth Bale's stats to Walcott's last season and Bale was better. What is interesting is when Bale won Player of the Year in 2011-12 Theo Walcott had had the better season.

Problem is at 16 he was taken to the world cup. Expectations were ridiculous after that. People judge him against the likes of Messi which is unfair to say the least. Rooney gets a pass. Bale gets a pass when he is more inconsistent that Theo and is still living off the Milan game.

disagree there slighty with regards to bale getting a pass as bale when playing badly he is still a threat same with rooney who has been awful alot this season but still been scoring goals, when walcotts playing badly he totally disappears, hence the reason people are more likely to jump down his throat.

compelling and rich

Posts : 5916
Join date : 2011-02-28
Location : Manchester

Back to top Go down

Theo Walcott - Page 2 Empty Re: Theo Walcott

Post by Kay Fabe on Tue 26 Jun 2012, 11:23 am

I've never been a big fan of Walcott, he does good things but he is far to inconsistent for me and his control can be such a let down at times, he almost looks to quick for himself, though he seems to over run the ball every game

I definitely think there is a place for him in the England set up but for me he's no more than an impact sub, particularly if England are winning anf want to play counter attack football, counter attack football has always been Walcott's strong point as it allows him space to exploit his blistering pace, when he has time to think though he more often than not makes the wrong decision

I personally don't think he's good enough for Arsenal if they ever have serious ambitions about Challenging for the title again however RVP prefers playing with him although when the alternative was Gervinho that's hardly a show of faith

Kay Fabe

Posts : 9685
Join date : 2011-03-16
Age : 38
Location : Glasgow

Back to top Go down

Theo Walcott - Page 2 Empty Re: Theo Walcott

Post by liverbnz on Tue 26 Jun 2012, 11:26 am

Thick and quick.

liverbnz

Posts : 2958
Join date : 2011-03-07
Age : 36
Location : Newcastle, County Down

Back to top Go down

Theo Walcott - Page 2 Empty Re: Theo Walcott

Post by azania on Thu 03 Jan 2013, 6:50 pm

Seems to be doing very well as a striker.

azania

Posts : 19471
Join date : 2011-01-29
Age : 108

Back to top Go down

Theo Walcott - Page 2 Empty Re: Theo Walcott

Post by azania on Fri 18 Jan 2013, 6:26 pm

He's signed da ting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPBm-GvEVlg

azania

Posts : 19471
Join date : 2011-01-29
Age : 108

Back to top Go down

Theo Walcott - Page 2 Empty Re: Theo Walcott

Post by Guest on Fri 18 Jan 2013, 7:35 pm

azania wrote:Seems to be doing very well as a striker.

Did you see him play Swansea midweek? Never a striker. His chance conversion rate must be appalling for the amount of misses he produces. There's a reason Wenger never played him there in the first place. He capatalises in games against poor, dire defending but in the majority of games at the highest level against the big teams he fails to produce consistently. His brilliant performances are once in a blue moon, months and months apart. He can make defenders like Mike 'I'm well out of my league' Williamson, Ledley 'I need to retire ASAP' & Sweden's OAP defensive line look woeful but against quality defensive units he is found out. The praise he got after scoring that hat-trick against Newcastle was ridiculous. Theo this, Theo that, Theo for England as a central striker. The next week it was 'normal' Theo.

The thing which has annoyed me is we had to endure this ridiculous, 'is he going to sign or isn't he' rubbish for months. No one actually cared and then when he signs it's only a three and half year deal and not a five and a half year deal. So basically in 18 months time his agent is going to be saying, 'my clients contract is running down and I think we should re-negotiate a longer deal'. Outrageous. He's basically getting 100k a week now, which is absurd for his talent and then in two years time he's going to getting say 125k a week. That's what annoys me. Don't rate him and never will. Technically appaling and that's my view which I'm allowed. Maybe he will improve gradually and there are signs but to be asking for 100k a week is just insulting in today's financial climate and for his limited talent.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Theo Walcott - Page 2 Empty Re: Theo Walcott

Post by azania on Fri 18 Jan 2013, 8:47 pm

Did you see Messi play against Chelsea in the UCL semi finals. Missed many sitters and a pen. Even the best miss.

Theo has been consistent this season. 14 goals already says a lot.

azania

Posts : 19471
Join date : 2011-01-29
Age : 108

Back to top Go down

Theo Walcott - Page 2 Empty Re: Theo Walcott

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum