The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cheltenham Festival - Wednesday / RSA Chase, Coral Cup, Champion Chase...

+2
paperbag_puncher
sportform
6 posters

Go down

Cheltenham Festival - Wednesday / RSA Chase, Coral Cup, Champion Chase... Empty Cheltenham Festival - Wednesday / RSA Chase, Coral Cup, Champion Chase...

Post by sportform Thu 08 Mar 2012, 2:15 am

Ok one day down three to go. Sprinter Sacre and Quevega justified their prices yesterday can Grand Crus and Sizing Europe win today?

Updates in green

1:30 Diamond Jubilee National Hunt Chase (Amateur Riders´ Novices´ Chase) Cl2 4m
Harry The Viking is unbeaten in four starts for Paul Nicholls this season and will be a popular choice among punters. Manager Hanagment and Four Commanders are interesting Irish raiders while Universal Soldier and TEAFORTHREE should also be in the frame for the opener on day two.

The two Irish raiders of Allee Garde and Four Commanders are market movers. The former trained by Willie Mullins is currently trading at around 6-1 after coming in from 14s and looks likely to go off favourite while Four Commanders has half in price from 20-1 to 10-1. Harry The Viking for Paul Nicholls and Teaforthree lead the newspaper tips with 4 each while 20-1 shot Blenheim Brook has been tipped twice. Donald McCain had a good day on Tuesday and runs Lively Barron in this but will struggle to reverse form with Harry The Viking off level weights.

2:05 Neptune Investment Management Novices´ Hurdle (Registered As Baring Bingham Novices´ Hurdle) Grade 1 Cl1 2m5f
SIMONSIG is considered the banker for a good many people but Boston Bob for Willie Mullins won't let him have the race all his own way. Between the two this could be one of the hottest races in the betting ring at the Festival.

Simonsig has been moated as one of the bankers of the meeting and currently trades at around 5-2. I think this could be a real punters v bookies race. It will be interesting to see if the bookies cut his price or take him on? The Nikcy Henderson trained horse has receive four tips in the morning papers and so has Sous Les Cioux.

2:40 RSA Chase (Grade 1) Cl1 3m110y
GRAND CRUS is currently a short priced favourite for this race but could still be switch to the Gold Cup. If he runs in this he will be hard to beat. The David Pipe trained horse has a three from four record around Cheltenham, his only defeat being behind Big Bucks in last year's World Hurdle. Sir Des Champs is still unbeaten over jumps and won at the Festival last year and could be a danger.

Grand Crus is currently trading at around 5-4 and will go off favourite. Bobs Worth is second in the betting and despite being beaten well by Grand Crus in the Feltham goes well at Cheltenham and won at the Festival last year and may appreciate the return to a left hand track. It maybe also worth noting he beat Rock On Ruby last January. 10 of the newspapers go for Grand Crus while 3 go for Bobs Worth. Join Together for Walsh/ Nicholls has been well backed too.

3:20 sportingbet.com Queen Mother Champion Chase Grade 1 Cl1 2m
Sizing Europe, last year's victor is currently a skinny favourite and despite beating Big Zeb by 15 lengths last time out there could be better value found elsewhere. Somersby who has finished behind Sizing Europe in the previous two Festivals is in good form and Finians Rainbow shouldn't be discounted lightly. The Willie Mullins trained BLAZING TEMPO could be an interesting runner at a big price, especially in the ground is on the softer side.

Sizing Europe looks the consensus pick in the Champion Chase. He is the most backed. most tipped horse in this race and his price is steadily getting shorter. Most other runners in the race seem to be drifting. Realt Dubh could be a very interesting runner at a big price having won three of his last five races and being close behind Captain Chris in the other two.

4:00 Coral Cup (Handicap Hurdle) Grade 3 Cl1 2m5f
The Coral Cup always has a huge field and could be one for the pinsticker. Knock A Hand has been running well while the David Pipe pair of Our Father and Balgarry (both have other entries at the Festival) look to have been laid out for Cheltenham. ORIGINAL OPTION could be the one to look out for though if it can sneak into the race.

A huge handicap hurdle which is usually a pinsticker. David Pipe seems to have got two very well treated horses in the race with Balgarry and Poole Master. Balgarry has come in from 25-1 over the past week and may start favourite. Megastar has been a massive mover on Tuesday evening coming in generally from around 40-1 to 16-1. The press selections are Balgarry & Abergavenny 4 while Act Of Kalanisi, Cape Dutch, Veiled and Son Of Flicka all got 1.

4:40 Fred Winter Juvenile Handicap Hurdle Grade 3 Cl1 2m110y
Hisaabaat has been running well this season as has Asaid and both will be interesting but KAZLIAN has won his last two starts easily and could have found a good race here.

Vendor has recieved the most selections in the press while Ruby Walsh's mount Gorgeous Sixty has been nibbled at the bookies.

5:15 Weatherbys Champion Bumper (Standard Open National Hunt Flat Race) Grade 1 Cl1 2m110y
Willie Mullins always have a good hand in the Bumper and has Champagne Fever and Mozoltov among his entries this year. Population was breed by Darley so has a very good pedigree and is unbeaten in two starts for John Ferguson who also has New Year's eve in the race. Horatio Hornblower is an interesting runner currently at 14/1 after finished 3rd in a hot race on his debut while MANY CLOUDS couldn't have been more impressive on his debut.

This is one of my favourite races at the Festival despite it being a flat race. John Ferguson's horse New Year's Eve looks likely to start favourite. will Mullins always run a good horse in this and Ruby Walsh is on Pique Sous. Another Irish raider, Jezki, could be interesting having receive a couple of tips and been clipped in the betting. Horatio Hornblower is a horse I like a lot despite only finishing third in his only run. Another horse to note in this is Cool George who is currently a 16-1 shot at William Hill but is high as 33-1 elsewhere.

Last edited by sportsville on Wed 14 Mar 2012, 12:30 am; edited 2 times in total
sportform
sportform

Back to top Go down

Cheltenham Festival - Wednesday / RSA Chase, Coral Cup, Champion Chase... Empty Re: Cheltenham Festival - Wednesday / RSA Chase, Coral Cup, Champion Chase...

Post by paperbag_puncher Thu 08 Mar 2012, 5:36 am

Only one I've looked at is Queen Mother. Cant see Sizing Europe being beat in what looks like a weak renewal. Have had my biggest bet of the week on him and hes my nap of the festival.

paperbag_puncher

Back to top Go down

Cheltenham Festival - Wednesday / RSA Chase, Coral Cup, Champion Chase... Empty Re: Cheltenham Festival - Wednesday / RSA Chase, Coral Cup, Champion Chase...

Post by racingnut Fri 09 Mar 2012, 7:53 pm

Im always of the opinion that the Wednesday is the most difficult one for finding winners.This is my effort.

1.30 Is there a worse betting medium at the Festival than this? Half of these jockeys will get tired before their mounts do! Cant look beyond FOUR COMMANDERS.A total dye in the wool stayer whos shown a very useful level of form,particularly his run behind Last Instalment.Have to take his liking for the quicker conditions on trust as most of his form is on softer but connections have a veritable glut of staying novice chase talent so this one has to be respected.

2.05 Had Fingal Bay down as a knock for whichever of the staying novices he contested,alas its not to be.His form is the best weve seen this season over the extended trips so by that line i can only come up with SIMONSIG.Bolted up in two egg and spoon races before giving the Hobbs stablestar a run for his money at Sandown.Freshened up by a break,he won at Kelso under a motionless Barry Geraghty.Loads of potential and he could be,as they say,anything.

2.40 GRAND CRUS has the best chase form on offer,he had the best hurdle form,he has previous absolute top flight festival form,he holds these on everything we know and unless something finds 10lb from somewhere then he just has to be the selection.

3.20 Cracking renewal.Sizing Europe has looked as good as ever and will take some dethroning as Champion.He sluiced home from Big Zeb las time out and looks to have that rivals measure whichever way this affair pans out.The one who may give him most to do is FINIANS RAINBOW.Top novice form from last year,he won(still dont know how) at Kempton over Christmas and was then run down by Somersby at Ascot.Dont think that was Geraghtys finest hour,ridden with a shade more patience i can see him at least making the defending champ break sweat.

4.00 DARE ME just leaps off the page at me.Top class bumper/novice hurdle form from a couple of seasons back,he is on the comeback trial after a few injury niggles.Lots of promise in his last effort and a rating of 135 looks like it still might have plenty of slack in it.

4.40 KAZILIAN has absolutely hosed up in his last two starts.If he handles this better ground,both wins on a soft surface,then he looks a typical unexposed type from a stable that knows what it takes to plunder this prize.

5.15 ROYAL GUARDSMAN made a real impression on me with a very taking win at Ascot.I have him down as to follow for next season but he can emulate the stables top performer,Cue Card,by taking this on his way to better things,particularly when encountering hurdles next year.

racingnut

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Charisma Sat 10 Mar 2012, 11:41 pm

Win, Lay or Each Way

Win- Monksland (Noel Meade has only won novice hurdles at Cheltenham)

Lay- Simonsig (Doesn't jump well enough for me)

Each Way - New Years Eve (Great Bumper Trainer and Bred in Purple)

Captain Charisma

Back to top Go down

Post by paperbag_puncher Sun 11 Mar 2012, 9:06 pm

I'd be more than happy to take on Grands Crus. Hes not your typical RSA winner and we've seen classy types like Punchestowns, Long Run and Time for Rupert out slogged in this one. He hasnt ran this calender year which the last 48 winners have and the Feltham winner has a lousy record. Gone for Bob's Worth. He'll be much happier back at Cheltenham and is an out and out stayer which you need for the RSA. Grands Crus definitely the class act in the race but that hasnt translated into the winner of this race lately..

paperbag_puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by sportform Sun 11 Mar 2012, 9:17 pm

I think First Lieutenant could run a big race. He won at the Festival last year but is a bit skinny at 5/1 for this year's form.
sportform
sportform

Back to top Go down

Post by paperbag_puncher Sun 11 Mar 2012, 9:21 pm

1.30 -Went for Teaforthree and Allee Garde.

2.05 - Backed Batonnier. Has improved with every run and was impressive last time out winning at Cheltenham.

2.40 - Bob's Worth. Great Cheltenham record and will still be running up the hill when many of these have ran their race.

3.20 - Sizing all the way. Nap of the week for me. Big Zebs looking old and Sizing looks to have his number. Havent been overly impressed with Finian's Rainbow and dont think theres much strength in depth in this race.

Havent looked past the first 4 races yet.

paperbag_puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by sportform Wed 14 Mar 2012, 12:40 am

paperbag_puncher wrote:2.40 - Bob's Worth. Great Cheltenham record and will still be running up the hill when many of these have ran their race.
Bob's Worth beat Rock On Ruby at Cheltenham last January.

sportform
sportform

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Wed 14 Mar 2012, 9:13 am

Skybet are offering an extra place on the following races...

The Nation Hunt Chase
The Coral Cup
The Champion Bumper

Beer

Location : 'Whose kids are these? And how'd they get in my Lincoln?'

Back to top Go down

Post by sportform Wed 14 Mar 2012, 10:07 am

If anyone is interested, here are today's Pricewise selections:-

Soll 8-1 1.30

Get Me Out Of Here 10-1 4.00
Silverhand 25-1 4.00

Gorgeous Sixty 14-1 4.30
sportform
sportform

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Wed 14 Mar 2012, 10:15 am

I went for a Bob's Worth and Sizing double.

Batonnier is a Non-Runner.

Beer

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Wed 14 Mar 2012, 1:56 pm

Teaforthree takes the Diamond Jubilee National Hunt,

Harry The Viking (part owned by SAF) came 2nd.

Beer

Back to top Go down

Post by Backrower678 Wed 14 Mar 2012, 2:24 pm

Simonsig ran a beautiful race, heres hoping Grands Crus gets my bets off the ground and Sizing Europe to follow!!!

Backrower678

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Wed 14 Mar 2012, 2:26 pm

I'd wish you luck but i need Bobs Worth! Laugh

Beer

Back to top Go down

Post by sportform Wed 14 Mar 2012, 2:33 pm

I've had the first two winners but would have won more if Harry The Viking (2nd) and Cotton Mill (1st when falling) had won.

Just noticed that three of the horse I put up for the 1st race came 1st, 2nd and 3rd (the other didn't run).

The next looks like Grand Crus v Bobs Worth. I also like Call The Police as an each way shot.
sportform
sportform

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Wed 14 Mar 2012, 2:39 pm

I stuck with the double but did fancy Teaforthree.

What's your thinking on this, Sportsville? Bobs Worth or Grand Crus?

Beer

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Wed 14 Mar 2012, 2:50 pm

Yahoo

Beer

Back to top Go down

Post by Backrower678 Wed 14 Mar 2012, 3:57 pm

Gutted is all i can say, two awful days!! Bank taking a hiding flip sake

Backrower678

Back to top Go down

Post by sportform Wed 14 Mar 2012, 4:03 pm

I didn't bother with anything in the Champion Chase. Despite them missing out the last fence, I still don't think Sizing Europe would have won. Finian's Rainbow seemed to be going better at the finish.
sportform
sportform

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Wed 14 Mar 2012, 4:14 pm

Made up for my lack of luck by backing Son of Flicka at 16/1.

Beer

Back to top Go down

Post by sportform Wed 14 Mar 2012, 4:36 pm

King Beer wrote:Made up for my lack of luck by backing Son of Flicka at 16/1.
I put it up on twitter and gave it out as a tip to a couple of people this morning but then stuck to my other selections and didn't have it Doh

That would have made my week but I'm stuck just over par.

The gamble and way it won make you wonder what it has been doing in its other races this year?
sportform
sportform

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Wed 14 Mar 2012, 5:07 pm

Absolutely. Bit like Carruthers if you ask me.

It must've caught alot of attention as it went from 66/1 this morning to 16/1.

I had Vendor & Edeyemi in the 4.40 both to place. That controversy in the Queen Mum has cost me a good day.

Gone for Moscow Mannon and Royal Guardsmen in the last, see if i can boost the pot a little more.

Today's been all about Henderson and Geraghty. Brilliant day for them.

Beer

Back to top Go down

Post by Backrower678 Wed 14 Mar 2012, 5:37 pm

another shocking day, only winner i had was Simonsig but that was in a triple with Grands Crus and Sizing Europe (and we all know how they ended). Could well be me out for the last 2 days cant keep on losing furious

Backrower678

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Wed 14 Mar 2012, 5:40 pm

2 winners and 5 places. Turned the dregs in my betting account to a profit.

Will have to scour the tips to find something to put alongside Big Bucks.

Beer

Back to top Go down

Post by racingnut Wed 14 Mar 2012, 8:02 pm

Only bet of the meeting for me so far was a smallish ew on Finians Rainbow.5/1 was an ew bet to notning as he couldnt be out of the three.

racingnut

Back to top Go down

Post by paperbag_puncher Wed 14 Mar 2012, 8:13 pm

What did ye think of the drama at the last in the Queen Mother? It was a bit of a farce imo and ridiculous they couldnt sort something out between the time Dickie fell and the 2 lads got to the last. Not saying Sizing would have won but the confusion didnt help. Finians ran a great race but still think whoever jumped the last better would have won. From what I've heard the officials have accepted no responsibility for events and even blamed the jockeys. Sour way to end a great race.

paperbag_puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by paperbag_puncher Wed 14 Mar 2012, 8:19 pm

Not a bad day. Had the first 3 winners and kazlian ew but by far my biggest bet was on Sizing Europe so finished only slightly up. Was dead against Grands Crus but couldnt bring myself to hit the lay button..

paperbag_puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Wed 14 Mar 2012, 8:37 pm

paperbag_puncher wrote:What did ye think of the drama at the last in the Queen Mother? It was a bit of a farce imo and ridiculous they couldnt sort something out between the time Dickie fell and the 2 lads got to the last. Not saying Sizing would have won but the confusion didnt help. Finians ran a great race but still think whoever jumped the last better would have won. From what I've heard the officials have accepted no responsibility for events and even blamed the jockeys. Sour way to end a great race.

Poor show by the officials but i haven't seen it, could they have jumped?

Beer

Back to top Go down

Post by paperbag_puncher Wed 14 Mar 2012, 8:55 pm

King Beer wrote:
paperbag_puncher wrote:What did ye think of the drama at the last in the Queen Mother? It was a bit of a farce imo and ridiculous they couldnt sort something out between the time Dickie fell and the 2 lads got to the last. Not saying Sizing would have won but the confusion didnt help. Finians ran a great race but still think whoever jumped the last better would have won. From what I've heard the officials have accepted no responsibility for events and even blamed the jockeys. Sour way to end a great race.

They could have easily jumped it but I had no problem with them skipping it either. It was the lack of clarity that ruined it. They initially boarded up the fence then decided to take the boards down for some reason..

paperbag_puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by sportform Wed 14 Mar 2012, 10:29 pm

paperbag_puncher wrote:
King Beer wrote:

They could have easily jumped it but I had no problem with them skipping it either. It was the lack of clarity that ruined it. They initially boarded up the fence then decided to take the boards down for some reason..
It was a bit messy. Aintree do it well in the National but then they have more time but I have seen other courses tape of fences better too.

The Champion Chase looks a very good race next year should all the major players make it in Sprinter Sacre, Sizing Europe and Finian's Rainbow.
sportform
sportform

Back to top Go down

Post by racingnut Thu 15 Mar 2012, 8:03 am

It was a sour end to a cracking heat.If thats our premier NH fesivals best efforts to cope with that sort of situation then its a poor show.God forbid but what would happen if there was an Aintree type pile up? Cant have that Sizing would have won if the last had been jumped,it really was in the melting pot bot i will admit that the reigning champ was inconvenienced more by the change of direction to avoid the final obstacle.

racingnut

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down