The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

British & Irish Cup to be Expanded to 32 teams.

+2
Rava
Shifty
6 posters

Go down

British & Irish Cup to be Expanded to 32 teams. Empty British & Irish Cup to be Expanded to 32 teams.

Post by Shifty Sat 24 Mar 2012, 6:02 pm

http://www.neathrugby.co.uk/NewsArticle.aspx?n=20681

Hot off the press news from the WRU !

Next season (2012/13) all 12 Welsh Premiership sides will be engaged in what will be a 32-team competition (12 England, 12 Wales, 4 Scotland clubs, 4 Irish provinces).

The fixtures will be played over the Heineken Cup weekends.

Full details as to the structure of the competition, composition of the pools etc. have yet to be released. But sensibly, it would involve 8 pools of 4 with 3 home and away games each.

in any case, Neath supporters, can get passports/ID at the ready for some futher mouth-watering clashes and cross-border adventures !
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

British & Irish Cup to be Expanded to 32 teams. Empty Re: British & Irish Cup to be Expanded to 32 teams.

Post by Shifty Sat 24 Mar 2012, 6:03 pm

Looks interesting apart from the Welsh Premiership will only be10 teams next season, which kind of throws a spanner in the works a bit.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

British & Irish Cup to be Expanded to 32 teams. Empty Re: British & Irish Cup to be Expanded to 32 teams.

Post by Guest Sat 24 Mar 2012, 7:47 pm

Alyn, I thought they'd compromised and agreed 12 instead of 10??? Wasn't it Bridgend and Llandovery or Camarthen Quins given a reprieve?

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Sat 24 Mar 2012, 7:58 pm

They should allow the Welsh Rabo teams to enter. Give them a chance of some silverware Whistle
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sat 24 Mar 2012, 8:13 pm

Griff wrote:Alyn, I thought they'd compromised and agreed 12 instead of 10??? Wasn't it Bridgend and Llandovery or Camarthen Quins given a reprieve?

The initial agreement was for 8 teams, 2 per region, however the Scarlets and the Ospreys asked if they could add in Bridgend and Carmarthen which was agreed provided they funded those clubs themselves. 10 teams. thumbsup
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 24 Mar 2012, 8:50 pm

Nope, sorry Alyn it was 14 down to 10 and then Bridgend and Carmarthen were given reprieves = 12

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/15898040

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sat 24 Mar 2012, 11:12 pm

Griff wrote:Nope, sorry Alyn it was 14 down to 10 and then Bridgend and Carmarthen were given reprieves = 12

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/15898040

Sorry Griff it seems your correct. Erm

I have been reading everything I can on the changes as I attend quite a lot of Premiership games and I was under the impression the regions were allowed 2 each, but the Ospreys and Scarlets wanted to keep Bridgend and Quins up as they part own them.

Basically their waiting for Neath or aberavon and Llandovery to get relegated. Headscratch
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Mon 26 Mar 2012, 12:30 pm

Has anybody asked Connacht - I reckon they will struggle to get a team out if they have half a dozen injuries.

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Mon 26 Mar 2012, 1:21 pm

This is pretty cool. Any idea if some of the games will be televised?

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Mon 26 Mar 2012, 2:11 pm

To be honest I don't think that there should be Welsh Prem or Scottish League teams in it.

Should be all Pro 12 'A' teams + English championship, ie Glasgow 'A', Scarlets 'A' etc.

However then we would ask why don't the English Prem enter 'A' teams as well?

Could be intresting Pro 12 'A' + English Prem 'A' + English championship sides. Would be better that LV=cup

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Mon 26 Mar 2012, 2:24 pm

kingshu - I dont think English Prem A teams would work with the Championship sides as there are a lot of dual registered players. It would be very disruptive to all the Championship teams to have half their teams poached by competitors in the same competition.

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down