The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and grass court tennis

+3
Tenez
laverfan
newballs
7 posters

Go down

The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and grass court tennis Empty The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and grass court tennis

Post by newballs Tue 27 Mar 2012, 11:48 pm

Being a big Bowie fan it's 40 years on from Ziggy, cross dressing and flared trousers. For some reason it made me look back to those far off days when grass court tennis at Wimbledon actually involved people who could serve and volley.

A question for you tennis aficionados then (and no googling allowed). Stan Smith beat Ilie Nastase to win the mens singles but who won the boys event coming apparently from 5-2 down in the final set to do so? I'd actually forgotten he had won it and, even more suprisingly, completely forgotten his erstwhile opponent. A bonus point on offer then for the name of someone who recently managed to offend even UKIP with some of less than correct political views.

newballs

Back to top Go down

The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and grass court tennis Empty Re: The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and grass court tennis

Post by laverfan Wed 28 Mar 2012, 1:46 am

Your are referring to 1972 W.

Is it Borg? I do not who he could have beaten, though. Very tempted to look at Wikipedia.

I also recall Borg having played Laver in Las Vegas or was it Connors, but I am getting old, NewBalls. Wink

laverfan

Back to top Go down

The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and grass court tennis Empty Re: The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and grass court tennis

Post by Tenez Wed 28 Mar 2012, 8:14 am

John Lloyd?

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Wed 28 Mar 2012, 1:23 pm

I have no idea who played the 1972 boys final, but I would guess that the someone whose views were right of UKIP is Buster Mottram?

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Wed 28 Mar 2012, 1:50 pm

Mercer?

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Wed 28 Mar 2012, 2:36 pm

Nigel Farage offended?

There's a surprise.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by newballs Wed 28 Mar 2012, 3:55 pm

Yes. the winner was a very young Bjorn Borg and the runner up none other than the Enoch Powell fan Buster Mottram.

newballs

Back to top Go down

Post by bradman99.94 Wed 28 Mar 2012, 4:46 pm

He's buried in our local town.......Enoch Powell that is, not Mottram or Borg

bradman99.94

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down