The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cardiff Arms Park

+2
LordDowlais
Cardiff Dave
6 posters

Go down

Cardiff Arms Park  Empty Cardiff Arms Park

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri 6 Apr 2012 - 20:07

Rumours abound that CAP could be demolished, a new ground constructed and Glanmore's Gap completed.
Hope these rumours turn out to be true.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Cardiff Arms Park  Empty Re: Cardiff Arms Park

Post by LordDowlais Fri 6 Apr 2012 - 20:10

How will this work. If this is going to happen then they must be replacing the MS stand that shadows the CAP ground.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri 6 Apr 2012 - 20:14

How will this work. If this is going to happen then they must be replacing the MS stand that shadows the CAP ground.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri 6 Apr 2012 - 20:15

LordDowlais wrote:How will this work. If this is going to happen then they must be replacing the MS stand that shadows the CAP ground.

Which is affectionately known as Glanmore's Gap. It's only a rumour for now anyway, but I do know the WRU did submit a bid for CAP just over a year ago which was rejected by CAC.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Fri 6 Apr 2012 - 20:17

LordDowlais wrote:How will this work. If this is going to happen then they must be replacing the MS stand that shadows the CAP ground.

How will the WRU get the funding, from the demolishing of the CAP is it?. That's why they couldn't finish that stand in the first place is because of a lack of funding wasn't it. It's great news because once that stand is completed in the MS it truly will become the best stadium in Europe in my view, with possible the best location also.

Where is the new ground going to be built?. couldn't be the centre of Cardiff could it?.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri 6 Apr 2012 - 20:26

martyr_94 wrote:

How will the WRU get the funding, from the demolishing of the CAP is it?. That's why they couldn't finish that stand in the first place is because of a lack of funding wasn't it. It's great news because once that stand is completed in the MS it truly will become the best stadium in Europe in my view, with possible the best location also.

Where is the new ground going to be built?. couldn't be the centre of Cardiff could it?.

In place of the existing CAP.
Lots of very rich property developers with Cardiff RFC "connections" could provide the funding I guess.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Fri 6 Apr 2012 - 20:37

Will it be bigger than the current size of CAP. Its not a massive area to build on. If they increase the size of the MS, surely then there will be less space for a new stadium? Will they have to lose the Car park?

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Fri 6 Apr 2012 - 20:53

Heard the same thing.

WRU are going to buy out CAC shares and redevelop the site

Blues will continue to play at CCS until the redeveloped stadium is finished (and I assume the Millenium expanded)

Then the Blues will move into the new CAP.

Hopefully the WRU are finally being allowed to interfer in the regions now they are the ones with all the money.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Fri 6 Apr 2012 - 20:59

Will this be a venue for a fantastic new 'East' region?

Or will it continue to be Cardiff Blues? Playing mediocre stuff and remaining irrelevant at European level. If so, it would seem to be, potentially, a huge waste of money and effort?

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Fri 6 Apr 2012 - 21:03

Casartelli wrote:Will this be a venue for a fantastic new 'East' region?

Or will it continue to be Cardiff Blues? Playing mediocre stuff and remaining irrelevant at European level. If so, it would seem to be, potentially, a huge waste of money and effort?

Well, you might want to see what the Cardiff Blues were doing 2 seasons ago before they moved from the CAP.

The best performing Welsh team in Europe - the closest ever team not to make a HC final and playing the most attractive rugby in Europe, winning by 50pts in the final of the EDF.

They were also pretty relevant in Europe a season later when they won the Amlin away in Toulon.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Fri 6 Apr 2012 - 21:06

So, just move back to the CAP? Why start knocking things around and spending money?

Teams like, for instance, Leicester, had Heineken Cup wins and repeated domestic success before they redeveloped their ground.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri 6 Apr 2012 - 21:14

If it happens it will be for Cardiff of course as they are awash with property developers who have plenty of clout and plenty of cash.
That's the way it is i'm afraid and one of the reasons why Cardiff Blues shifted to CCS in the first place, so there is a downside to it.
That particular experiment has clearly backfired though.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri 6 Apr 2012 - 21:19

Casartelli wrote:So, just move back to the CAP? Why start knocking things around and spending money?

Teams like, for instance, Leicester, had Heineken Cup wins and repeated domestic success before they redeveloped their ground.

Exactly. Cardiff should have copied Leicester. Northampton too.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri 6 Apr 2012 - 21:25

wales606 wrote:

Well, you might want to see what the Cardiff Blues were doing 2 seasons ago before they moved from the CAP.

The best performing Welsh team in Europe - the closest ever team not to make a HC final and playing the most attractive rugby in Europe, winning by 50pts in the final of the EDF.

They were also pretty relevant in Europe a season later when they won the Amlin away in Toulon.

Good shout 606.
Cardiff Blues were as Brian Moore said "a joy to watch" and he was right because we were.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri 6 Apr 2012 - 21:42

martyr_94 wrote:Will it be bigger than the current size of CAP. Its not a massive area to build on. If they increase the size of the MS, surely then there will be less space for a new stadium? Will they have to lose the Car park?

I suppose they would lose a bit of parking space.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 7 Apr 2012 - 17:46

The reason, if I am right as to why there is a gap is that the WRU and Cardiff RFC were is dispute during the construction (them and Swansea left the league for a season) so they weren't given permission to complete the bowl.

Rumours have done the rounds for years that once the lease on CAP was up they bowl would be completed.

For the WRU and the MS I hope it happens, would put the Blues back to square one again I suppose in the 'generating atmosphere' at games stage.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Sat 7 Apr 2012 - 22:21

bedfordwelsh wrote:The reason, if I am right as to why there is a gap is that the WRU and Cardiff RFC were is dispute during the construction (them and Swansea left the league for a season) so they weren't given permission to complete the bowl.

Something like that I think and I believe there was the possibility of Cardiff having a new stadium down the bay.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down