The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

West Indies v Australia, 1st Test, Barbados

+12
Carrotdude
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
sirfredperry
Shelsey93
guildfordbat
ShahenshahG
Liam
Duty281
msp83
JDizzle
Biltong
Pal Joey
16 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

West Indies v Australia, 1st Test, Barbados Empty West Indies v Australia, 1st Test, Barbados

Post by Pal Joey Sat 07 Apr 2012, 9:22 am

Frank Worrell Trophy
April 7-11, Kensington Oval, Bridgetown
Start time: 1000 AST, 1500 GMT, 0000 EST

This will be the 22nd Frank Worrell Trophy Series since 1960-61.
21 Series - Australia won 11, West Indies won 8, 2 series drawn
93 matches - Australia won 41, West Indies 30

Overall: Played 108 - West Indies 32, Australia 52, Drawn 23, Tied 1

West Indies:
1 Adrian Barath, 2 Kraigg Brathwaite, 3 Kirk Edwards, 4 Darren Bravo, 5 Shivnarine Chanderpaul, 6 Narsingh Deonarine,
7 Darren Sammy*, 8 Carlton Baugh†, 9 Devendra Bishoo, 10 Fidel Edwards, 11 Kemar Roach.

Australia:
1 Ed Cowan, 2 David Warner, 3 Shane Watson, 4 Ricky Ponting, 5 Michael Clarke*, 6 Michael Hussey,
7 Matthew Wade†, 8 Peter Siddle, 9 Ryan Harris, 10 Ben Hilfenhaus, 11 Nathan Lyon.

Last edited by Linebreaker on Sun 08 Apr 2012, 10:45 am; edited 4 times in total

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

West Indies v Australia, 1st Test, Barbados Empty Re: West Indies v Australia, 1st Test, Barbados

Post by Biltong Sat 07 Apr 2012, 9:23 am

i can't see West Indies winning a test against Australia. I think if weather interrupts there might be a draw somewhere, but highly doubt it.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

West Indies v Australia, 1st Test, Barbados Empty Re: West Indies v Australia, 1st Test, Barbados

Post by Pal Joey Sat 07 Apr 2012, 10:00 am

Yes, the weather can turn quickly in that part of the world but I think if it's uninterrupted by rain delays then there will definitely be results in all three matches.

It's on at the worst possible time here in eastern Oz - midnight to 7am.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat 07 Apr 2012, 10:21 am

Enjoy, that's what I went through for three weeks vs NZ this past month. Had very little sleep. But they say it is worth it. Very Happy
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat 07 Apr 2012, 10:27 am

I've been doing it for years mate. We'll see how I feel.
I must say it helped with those crowd shots for the ODIs. Erm
They have that fever pitch atmosphere for those games but Tests can be a lot quieter... unless they smell blood then people start pouring in later on.

This time I might just watch part of the first session and then get up early for the last session.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat 07 Apr 2012, 10:34 am

When is the first match?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat 07 Apr 2012, 10:49 am

In about 4 hours... 4pm your time.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat 07 Apr 2012, 10:54 am

Ah, excellent so I have something to watch for the weekend. Only two more super rugby mathes and some HC quarters and that's it.

Well good luck to your team, I think West Indies will carry some confidence into the test for levelling the limited overs series. But sadly in test cricket the margin will be evident.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat 07 Apr 2012, 11:00 am

I think it starts at 3pm in the UK. Are you an hour in front of them now?

I feel the same. The West Indies are on the up in the shorter forms of the game. They have been disrupted too much at Test level but with a mix of experience and some youth in their line-up... maybe they can produce something special?

However, hopefully Australia will have a lot of confidence too... but not too much! Smile

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat 07 Apr 2012, 11:02 am

Yeah we're an hour in front.

I heard that Basketball is now the most popular sport in the west Indies, if that is the case their cricket might never reach the heights of the 80's
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat 07 Apr 2012, 11:14 am

That's what they were saying even back in the early 90s and towards the end of Brian Lara's career especially.

True, there is so much money around in sport in the US but I do believe the WICB took some steps to stem the flow of talented athletes across to the mainland and maybe some of these younger WI players are the result of that commitment.

There's still a huge interest from the public but like us - they need their stars to shine again and to put some results on the board. Very Happy

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat 07 Apr 2012, 11:37 am

It is amazing how different things are in SA, rugby is number one for the whites, soccer is for the blacks.

Cricket is somewhere in the middle, and although the popularity seems to be more mixed now, the stronghold of each sport remains.

Where as in other countries sporting codes have a real competitiveness for popularity.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat 07 Apr 2012, 1:04 pm

It's all a bit mixed in Australia. Generally, new arrivals from Africa, Asia and South American are football mad. There is also a decent groundswell of youth football with large numbers participating across all cultures, private/public schools, boys and girls, etc - however indigenous Australians tend towards Aussie Rules, League and some Union. Not so much soccer... but that may be a generalisation.

Cricket is the summer sport here and it sort of gels the country together in the sporting sense. RL and RU are put aside for a few months.

I've noticed there are many Indians, Pakistanis, Sri Lankans who really get on board our domestic scene and for whatever reason - may even support Australia on occasion. However, most south Asians are passionate supporters of cricket first and foremost and get behind their country.

There has been a bit of a transformation in the winter codes. You often see lots of Chinese, Japanese as well as Lebanese, Vietnamese, Indians, Greeks, Italians, Arabic-speaking nations and even Sudanese (we have a big community here) following the AFL and NRL... less so the Super XV.

So the AFL, NRL, Football and Cricket are the 'peoples sports' - rugby union... slightly less so but then we have a large Pacific Islander community and they often have been Australianised and are mad rugby/RL followers as well.

It's quite a healthy mixed bag and it seems to be getting better each year with more and more participation and bigger attendances at events.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat 07 Apr 2012, 3:05 pm

West Indies win the toss and have chosen to bat.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat 07 Apr 2012, 3:11 pm

Pattinson left out in favour of Harris for the Aussies.

Fidel Edwards in and Ravi Rampaul has been left out for the Windies.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Sat 07 Apr 2012, 4:05 pm

Strange to have left Pattinson out. Think he has got more potential than all of Hilf, Siddle and Harris and I would have found room for him somewhere. Is Haddin injured, or is Wade getting his chance as the number 1 keeper aswell?

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat 07 Apr 2012, 4:30 pm

They reckon he's still not 100% fit after his injury.

Haddin came back home weeks ago for personal reasons. It's unlikely that he will play Test cricket again although I'm not sure whether he has officially retired.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat 07 Apr 2012, 4:37 pm

50 up for the Windies. 51/1

Brathwaite 21*, K.Edwards 5*
Barath out for 22, c. Siddle b. Harris

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat 07 Apr 2012, 4:53 pm

How is the pitch behaving LB?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat 07 Apr 2012, 4:55 pm

It's pretty hard apparently, good for batting. A couple of missed chances early but they look settled at the moment.

Watching the Bulls-Crusaders and Edinburgh-Toulouse matches too. Smile

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat 07 Apr 2012, 4:57 pm

I am recrding the ULster Munster match to watch later.

Bulls are looking decidedly uninterested
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat 07 Apr 2012, 5:03 pm

I'm starting to hit the wall here... it's 2am Erm

60/1 at lunch now.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat 07 Apr 2012, 5:04 pm

Go get water on your face, run to the stop street and make youself a sandwhich.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat 07 Apr 2012, 5:07 pm

Laugh Water sounds good but stop street is a bit of a stretch. I've got some good sandwich ingredients right here... but I've been eating sweet stuff since midnight. Very Happy

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sat 07 Apr 2012, 5:37 pm

Since the WICB has kind of sourted their problems with Chris Gayle, I am back to supporting the WI again. There used to be a time when the West Indies uwas everyone's 2nd favorit cricket team, regardless of the country of the person!. Alas those times have gone, but most will be happy to see the West Indies perform. Of course Gayle is not available to play for another couple of months, but I just hope the West Indies do well.
They have had a pretty decent ODI series as well as the T-20 series, here's hoping they can put up a good fight against the Australians in the test series as well.
A pretty decent start from the West Indies, young Kraigg Brathwaite with a Boycott style approach to opening the test innings, has withstood the Australian attack till lunch, scoring 24 of 90 balls. This guy can really fight, he showed plenty of that in India in the winter. Kirk Edwards is another player who made his mark in recent times. Hopefully they can carry on and help the WI post a decent total.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 07 Apr 2012, 6:04 pm

Runs are at a premium here, 69/1 after 34 overs. WI just need to keep going and aim for 350+ to give them the best chance in this game.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 07 Apr 2012, 6:15 pm

71-1, case of atrttion for windies, and they are playing well, aussies struggling to threaten here....bowling tightly without really worrying the batsman

brathwaite doing his usual...SR of late 20's, and edwards is going along slowly by his usual standards.

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sat 07 Apr 2012, 6:49 pm

Ponting puts Brathwaite down!. Australia needed that breakthrough badly, will KB make them pay!?

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sat 07 Apr 2012, 6:50 pm

Shane Watson the unfortunate bowler.
Australia had in fact missed a chance prior to lunch as well.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sat 07 Apr 2012, 6:54 pm

KB continues to play rather loose outside off, and he somehow continues to be lucky!. This is the challenge for the young man, we saw that in India as well, after putting all the hard yard, after getting well set, he plays a few loose shots and gets out. He has to make this one count, he has had plenty of luck as well in this innings.
meanwhile Edwards lofts Lyon down the ground for 6, WI 110-1.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sat 07 Apr 2012, 7:10 pm

50 for Kirk Edwards, a good innings from the WI vice captain. And he has been willing to take the attack to the bowlers from time to time.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sat 07 Apr 2012, 7:20 pm

Now Brathwaite reaches his half-century. Lucky knock alright, but one that has shown great levels of skil and temprament, and the man isn't even 20!. Terrific signs for the West Indies.
Peter Siddle's back into the attack and Edwards welcomes him back with a fine cover drive for 4!. WI 137-1. Should have been 2, but Watson dropps Edwards!. Well, Edwards takes full toll, another cover drive for 4 next ball. This is typical West Indian brand of attacking cricket, holding absolutely nothing back!!.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sat 07 Apr 2012, 7:24 pm

Well Australia has a wicket at last, and that too through a brilliant catch!. Their latest leg-spinner, not Warne, but Warner the man, with a catch of his own bowling. Edwards goes for 61, WI 142-2.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sat 07 Apr 2012, 8:03 pm

The third session of the day is starting, with West Indies 158-2. Ryan Harris to start things for Australia. West Indies have a strong platform to work with, and they need to build on to a good total from here.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 07 Apr 2012, 8:19 pm

I see Brathwaite has passed 50, I wonder if he can kick on from there as he has reached 50 on three occasions before but his top score is only 68. Still since he's only 19 I suppose I can give him the benefit of the doubt!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sat 07 Apr 2012, 8:51 pm

Krigg Brathwaite goes for 57, Siddle's the man with the wicket. Brathwaite yet again failing to go on after scorinng a careful 50. Shiv Chanderpaul joins Bravo, going to be an important partnership here, with the light situation not looking very promising, we may not get all the overs in.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Sat 07 Apr 2012, 8:59 pm

Good pitch at the Kennsington Oval, Aussies come back well with those two wickets.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun 08 Apr 2012, 4:13 pm

After putting up good resistence, Bravo is gone, Shane Watson, who has looked the most dangerous of all the Australian bowlers, deserved that success very much. WI 240-4.
Narsing Deonarine has now joined Shiv. West Indies do need these 2 to stick around, otherwise the hardwork done by the top order might just get lost.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun 08 Apr 2012, 4:17 pm

Deonarine gets going with an edged 4, The West Indies has had quite a few of those in this innings.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun 08 Apr 2012, 5:36 pm

WI 291-5 at lunch, with Chanderpaul batting 58 and Baugh on 4. Just before lunch, Deonarine got out to Harris for 21.
Right after that , Baugh had a lucky let off when Ponting could not hang on to a very tough chance at slip.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun 08 Apr 2012, 7:07 pm

Darren Sammy is not someone who'd really top my list of favorit cricketers, but the kind of contest that he's engaged with Shane Watson at the moment, you can't help but respect him a bit. Sammy was hit on the head by Watto, He was down for some time, he got up took some water, and then hit watson for , 6, 4,6!.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sun 08 Apr 2012, 8:35 pm

West Indies doing well here, 420/8 now. They might make a fist of this test. Good to see.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 08 Apr 2012, 8:40 pm

Real team effort this from the Windies with every batsmen reaching double figures and 3 passing 50. No surprise to see Chanders top scoring but it a surprise to see the Windies reaching 400+ - I honestly thought the Aussie bowling was better than that. Anyway, well done the West Indies clap

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sun 08 Apr 2012, 8:57 pm

Come on chanders, get ya ton man.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sun 08 Apr 2012, 8:59 pm

2 more to get
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sun 08 Apr 2012, 9:00 pm

They also picked up their runrate, last night it was closer to 2.5 runs per over, now close to 3.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sun 08 Apr 2012, 9:00 pm

1 more needed.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sun 08 Apr 2012, 9:03 pm

waheyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sun 08 Apr 2012, 9:04 pm

clap clap
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun 08 Apr 2012, 9:04 pm

Chanderpaul has let the lower order take most of the strike when batting with him. Has made no atempt whatsoever to protect them. Roach and Edwards played their shots and got out, Bishoo has survived 16 balls. . so far.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next