The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Which was your favourite Six Nations grand slam?

+12
majesticimperialman
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
dublin_dave
SecretFly
Biltong
kiakahaaotearoa
RuggerRadge2611
Rory_Gallagher
ScarletSpiderman
Sgt_Pooly
HERSH
idris
16 posters

Go down

Which was your favourite Six Nations grand slam?

Which was your favourite Six Nations grand slam? Vote_lcap1%Which was your favourite Six Nations grand slam? Vote_rcap 1% 
[ 1 ]
Which was your favourite Six Nations grand slam? Vote_lcap14%Which was your favourite Six Nations grand slam? Vote_rcap 14% 
[ 19 ]
Which was your favourite Six Nations grand slam? Vote_lcap18%Which was your favourite Six Nations grand slam? Vote_rcap 18% 
[ 24 ]
Which was your favourite Six Nations grand slam? Vote_lcap2%Which was your favourite Six Nations grand slam? Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 3 ]
Which was your favourite Six Nations grand slam? Vote_lcap16%Which was your favourite Six Nations grand slam? Vote_rcap 16% 
[ 22 ]
Which was your favourite Six Nations grand slam? Vote_lcap13%Which was your favourite Six Nations grand slam? Vote_rcap 13% 
[ 18 ]
Which was your favourite Six Nations grand slam? Vote_lcap22%Which was your favourite Six Nations grand slam? Vote_rcap 22% 
[ 30 ]
Which was your favourite Six Nations grand slam? Vote_lcap13%Which was your favourite Six Nations grand slam? Vote_rcap 13% 
[ 18 ]

Total Votes : 135

Which was your favourite Six Nations grand slam? Empty Which was your favourite Six Nations grand slam?

Post by idris Tue 10 Apr 2012, 11:51 am

There have been a lot of Grand Slams in the past 13 seasons won by quite a few nations, but which was your favourite and why?

idris

Back to top Go down

Which was your favourite Six Nations grand slam? Empty Re: Which was your favourite Six Nations grand slam?

Post by HERSH Tue 10 Apr 2012, 12:09 pm

Cracking article Idris Shocked

I went for 2005 great rugby to watch, but it was a close run thing.
2003 was a truly great display by the best team on the planet.
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Which was your favourite Six Nations grand slam? Empty Re: Which was your favourite Six Nations grand slam?

Post by Sgt_Pooly Tue 10 Apr 2012, 12:12 pm

Have you nothing better to do than write pointless articles and try and wind people up?

Yes Wales are currently a good team....we get it. Nothing worse than a bad winner.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue 10 Apr 2012, 12:14 pm

Sgt_Pooly wrote:Have you nothing better to do than write pointless articles and try and wind people up?

Yes Wales are currently a good team....we get it. Nothing worse than a bad winner.

There is, the ones who show up when your winning and are the loudest/proudest there are, and then disappear when things go bad. Sadly I have to admit that when it comes to rugby Wales seems to be a nation full of them.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by idris Tue 10 Apr 2012, 12:18 pm

HERSH wrote:Cracking article Idris Shocked

I went for 2005 great rugby to watch, but it was a close run thing.
2003 was a truly great display by the best team on the planet.

Do you want a biscuit? I will let you off your lead now.

idris

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Tue 10 Apr 2012, 12:21 pm

What is up with all these rubbish polls today?

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 10 Apr 2012, 12:32 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:What is up with all these rubbish polls today?

Might be something to do with Welsh and English representation in the Semi Finals of the ERC. Wink
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Tue 10 Apr 2012, 12:38 pm

I´ve enjoyed all of NZ´s Grand Slams up north. Wouldn´t want to single one out. Very Happy

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 10 Apr 2012, 12:41 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:I´ve enjoyed all of NZ´s Grand Slams up north. Wouldn´t want to single one out. Very Happy

touche thumbsup
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 10 Apr 2012, 12:47 pm

I hated the Irish Slam because I didn't like being happy in 2009. I was trying out being a miserable basteraud back then and it was working perfectly until that point Wink O'Driscoll made me a very 'unhappy' man that year actually until he failed to pick up his Player of the Year award... and of course then I just laughed - at polling ineptitudes.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by idris Tue 10 Apr 2012, 1:07 pm

SecretFly wrote:I hated the Irish Slam because I didn't like being happy in 2009. I was trying out being a miserable basteraud back then and it was working perfectly until that point Wink O'Driscoll made me a very 'unhappy' man that year actually until he failed to pick up his Player of the Year award... and of course then I just laughed - at polling ineptitudes.

Well only another 58 years before you're "unhappy" again!

idris

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 10 Apr 2012, 1:20 pm

I just checked, SA has only had 8 attempts at the Grandslam.

1906 Lost to Scotland
1912 Grandslam
1931 Grandslam
1951 Grandslam
1960 Grandslam
1969 Lost to England & Scotland
2004 Lost to Ireland
2010 Lost to Scotland

I am surprised there has been so few Grandslam attempts in the pro era, maybe because we aren't that great anymore. Cry
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Tue 10 Apr 2012, 1:23 pm

You´re inviting eirebilly to provide the solution to that problem Biltong. Shocked

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 10 Apr 2012, 1:44 pm

I'll ignore him like a red robot. Doh

That 2004 was courtesy of my OTHER dear "friend" Paul Honiss.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Tue 10 Apr 2012, 2:07 pm

biltongbek wrote:I just checked, SA has only had 8 attempts at the Grandslam.

1906 Lost to Scotland
1912 Grandslam
1931 Grandslam
1951 Grandslam
1960 Grandslam
1969 Lost to England & Scotland
2004 Lost to Ireland
2010 Lost to Scotland

I am surprised there has been so few Grandslam attempts in the pro era, maybe because we aren't that great anymore. Cry

The home nations just don't like you!

Let’s be honest how many of us invited the school bully to our birthday parties when we were young?
Whistle
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by dublin_dave Tue 10 Apr 2012, 2:10 pm

ireland for obvious reasons and bias.

we certainly rode our luck and it was an incredible finish.

wales have finished theirs with far more panache than us but have never done it outside of millenium in my time.

english in landsdowne was certainly emphatic and delivered with plenty of pomp

dublin_dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 10 Apr 2012, 2:11 pm

Thanks Hersh, that makes me feel a whole lot better. Rather not be invited becuase you are the school bully than not being invited becuase you aren't "good" enough.
Which was your favourite Six Nations grand slam? 438_lol
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue 10 Apr 2012, 2:14 pm

Hmmm
1905 Lost to Wales
1924 Scotland refused to play against the Invincibles as the player's travel expenses were reimbursed which the SRU considered professionalism. (it's worth noting that a Scottish player selected in 1919 was rebuffed when he asked for a new jersey, as he'd been given one when he was selected in 1912)
1935 Lost to Wales and England
1953 Lost to Wales
1963 Drew with Scotland
1972 Drew with Ireland
1978 Grand Slam
2005 Grand Slam
2008 Grand Slam
2010 Grand Slam

2008 without conceding a try would be my favourite

Last edited by Kiwireddevil on Tue 10 Apr 2012, 2:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Tue 10 Apr 2012, 2:15 pm

biltongbek wrote:Thanks Hersh, that makes me feel a whole lot better. Rather not be invited becuase you are the school bully than not being invited becuase you aren't "good" enough.
Which was your favourite Six Nations grand slam? 438_lol

thumbsup
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 10 Apr 2012, 2:17 pm

Kiwireddevil wrote:Hmmm
1905 Lost to Wales
1924 Scotland refused to play
1935 Lost to Wales and England
1953 Lost to Wales
1963 Drew with Scotland
1972 Drew with Ireland
1978 Grand Slam
2005 Grand Slam
2008 Grand Slam
2010 Grand Slam

So you also only have four? Hug
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue 10 Apr 2012, 2:26 pm

Yep. And the Aussies have 1 I think.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 10 Apr 2012, 2:29 pm

I actually thought you had more than us.

But then my perception has been tarnished so badly these past 16 years that depression is but a Bryce Lawrence away. Whistle
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 10 Apr 2012, 2:31 pm

When they talk about pendulum swinging, this hasbeen pathetic.

I mean we had 4 and you had 0, now it is four each. Pathetic.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue 10 Apr 2012, 2:37 pm

biltongbek wrote:When they talk about pendulum swinging, this hasbeen pathetic.

I mean we had 4 and you had 0, now it is four each. Pathetic.

And we only had one attempt at it during the Isolation years (1978).

In fairness I'm pretty sure the 1924 team would have won, they went unbeaten in all matches on tour. And the Welsh may have cheated in 1905 (though we may have cheated in 1978 too Wink )
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 10 Apr 2012, 2:40 pm

Have you not learnt kiwi?

you never admit to cheating, never.

Just be gracious in defeat and thankful in victory.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue 10 Apr 2012, 2:42 pm

biltongbek wrote:Have you not learnt kiwi?

you never admit to cheating, never.

Just be gracious in defeat and thankful in victory.

Well said.

You'll notice I said "may have" Wink
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by idris Tue 10 Apr 2012, 3:41 pm

Wales most popular yet again!

idris

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Tue 10 Apr 2012, 3:48 pm

Hooray, what a fantastic result, Wales are the best team in the world. Now you can stop making these silly polls/topics thumbsup

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Tue 10 Apr 2012, 3:51 pm

Nobody's gone for 2012!
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Tue 10 Apr 2012, 5:57 pm

The best Grand Slam for me was England 2003, Why? Because England was the No 1 team in the IRB world rankins.

Some think that Wales have never been in their entire RUBGY LIFE. Whistle

And that Year incase you have for gotten England WON THE RUGBY WORLD CUP. Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo

Again something that Wales have never manged to do. Erm Erm Whistle Run

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 10 Apr 2012, 6:10 pm

2003...the same year that Snorkel FM radio and fish skin bikinis were born

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Tue 10 Apr 2012, 6:58 pm

I don't think this thread is a WUM. Just a case of all the grandlsams there have been, what was your favourite.

I'm sure we all went for our home countries, but I chose Wales' 05 grandslam. The rugby played there was a throwback to the seventies, great fast running angles, offloads galore with a top coach. That game against Scotland was some of the best rugby I have ever seen produced by a Welsh side. Kevin Morgan was a stand out in that grandslam, he ran everything and had electric pace.

I suppose the most impressive after that grandslam was the 03 England GS. Simply because like Majest said, they were the best side in the world, and proved it by sweeping everyone before them that year, although Wales did alright against them in the QF, if only Mike Catt had had the flu!!

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Tue 10 Apr 2012, 7:22 pm

2012 Still no votes!

Just goes to prove that it was a boring 6 nations. Wink
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Tue 10 Apr 2012, 7:36 pm

HERSH wrote:2012 Still no votes!

Just goes to prove that it was a boring 6 nations. Wink

Its because it wasn't a surprise, everyone who know's rugby knew Wales would win the GS, doesn't take a genius to work that one out thumbsup

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Tue 10 Apr 2012, 7:41 pm

True it was theirs to lose seeing as everyone else was re-building apart from Ireland, But it was really really boring.
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Tue 10 Apr 2012, 8:02 pm

HERSH wrote:True it was theirs to lose seeing as everyone else was re-building apart from Ireland, But it was really really boring.

Hahah Smile

I agree though, every side like you said were re-building. However, Ireland-Wales, England-Wales, France-England were all very exciting and tense games with some excellent rugby played, particularly the Ireland-France game which had the stand out moment of the tournament for me, the North break and offload for Foxy's try.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 10 Apr 2012, 9:02 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:The best Grand Slam for me was England 2003, Why? Because England was the No 1 team in the IRB world rankins.

This is wrong, as they weren't ranked number one when they Grand Slammed. Do some research into the history of the RANKINGS Madge.

majesticimperialman wrote:Some think that Wales have never been in their entire RUBGY LIFE. Whistle

This is a bit pointless seeing as the RANKINGS weren't around when Wales were probably at their best, so it's SOMETHING that's unlikely thus making your point (I'm guessing you had a point?) rather moot. Then again I'm assuming you're talking about RUGBY as I've yet to hear of this RUBGY game.

majesticimperialman wrote:And that Year incase you have for gotten England WON THE RUGBY WORLD CUP. Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo
Again something that Wales have never manged to do. Erm Erm Whistle Run

Lastly, why all the smileys? Are you trying to be clever or funny? Neither work for you really Madge. You're better off not trying.

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Tue 10 Apr 2012, 9:32 pm

Voted for Ireland as they dont do it too often.

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by 3rdGrandslamCame Tue 10 Apr 2012, 10:32 pm

HERSH wrote:True it was theirs to lose seeing as everyone else was re-building apart from Ireland, But it was really really boring.

Oh dear the rebuilding excuse. It doesn't exist!

3rdGrandslamCame

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Wed 11 Apr 2012, 3:36 pm

you have to respect the 2003 GS england were on a phenomenal run of wins at that time, and the Irish 09 GS for delivering under pressure after years of nearly men

for me tho its the 05 for some brilliant excting rugby vs france and scotland in particular

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down