The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wisdens Cricket of the year.

5 posters

Go down

Wisdens Cricket of the year. Empty Wisdens Cricket of the year.

Post by hampo17 Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:16 pm

Kumar Sangakkarra again, he also becomes the first player to named the cricketer of the year and appear in the Five cricketers of the year list as well, the other players are , Alastair Cook, Tim Bresnan, Alan Richardson and the mighty Glenn Chapple Very Happy Very Happy

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Wisdens Cricket of the year. Empty Re: Wisdens Cricket of the year.

Post by Shelsey93 Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:33 pm

Sangakkara the only surprise though that is probably because their were few performances of note from either Sri Lankans or Indians last summer and he was yet to receive the accolade (Dravid and Jayawardene already had)

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:49 pm

Amazed Chris Woakes wasn't included.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:56 pm

Fists of Fury wrote:Amazed Chris Woakes wasn't included.

I would suggest there is a preference, amongst county players at least, for those nearing the end of their careers.

I perhaps felt Charlotte Edwards is deserving of the accolade. She is a superb batter and captain, and would prove that awarding it to Claire Taylor wasn't simply for the sake of awarding it to a woman.

---

I would also point out that England can now feasibly field an XI of Wisden Cricketers of the Year:

1. Strauss 2. Cook 3. Trott 4. Pietersen 5. Bell 6. Morgan 7. Prior 8. Bresnan 9. Broad 10. Swann 11. Anderson, with Panesar in reserve.

What are the odds on Finn being named a Cricketer of the Year next year? Pretty short I would imagine

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:02 pm

Shelsey93 wrote:
Fists of Fury wrote:Amazed Chris Woakes wasn't included.

I would suggest there is a preference, amongst county players at least, for those nearing the end of their careers.

I perhaps felt Charlotte Edwards is deserving of the accolade. She is a superb batter and captain, and would prove that awarding it to Claire Taylor wasn't simply for the sake of awarding it to a woman.

---

I would also point out that England can now feasibly field an XI of Wisden Cricketers of the Year:

1. Strauss 2. Cook 3. Trott 4. Pietersen 5. Bell 6. Morgan 7. Prior 8. Bresnan 9. Broad 10. Swann 11. Anderson, with Panesar in reserve.

What are the odds on Finn being named a Cricketer of the Year next year? Pretty short I would imagine

Shelsey - yes, I agree there's a tendency to recognise and reward county stalwarts nearing the end of their careers. As a champion of the county game, I'm more than happy with that. Besides both having a highly successful 2011, Chapple and Richardson have certainly earned over many years their day in the sun.

It'll be interesting to see who the 5 Widen Cricketers are next year. As someone can only be a Wisden Cricketer once, we seem to be running out of obvious England stars. In years gone by, sometimes as many as 4 tourists have been chosen.

Last edited by guildfordbat on Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:02 pm

Agree that Edwards should have been in it, she's had a fantastic year

Gregers

https://www.facebook.com/Gregers25

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down