The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tour Captain Choices of the Home Nations

+31
funnyExiledScot
SecretFly
GunsGerms
slartibartfast
21st Century Schizoid Man
BigTrevsbigmac
aucklandlaurie
monwy
radelven
MacKnocked-on
niwatts
majesticimperialman
B91212
ChequeredJersey
RuggerRadge2611
LordDowlais
Knowsit17
RDW
kiakahaaotearoa
Taffineastbourne
jay_welsh
beshocked
sugarNspikes
LondonTiger
Rory_Gallagher
eirebilly
Scoped
red_stag
rodders
Effervescing Elephant
maestegmafia
35 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Tour Captain

Tour Captain Choices of the Home Nations Vote_lcap9%Tour Captain Choices of the Home Nations Vote_rcap 9% 
[ 9 ]
Tour Captain Choices of the Home Nations Vote_lcap1%Tour Captain Choices of the Home Nations Vote_rcap 1% 
[ 1 ]
Tour Captain Choices of the Home Nations Vote_lcap6%Tour Captain Choices of the Home Nations Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 6 ]
Tour Captain Choices of the Home Nations Vote_lcap34%Tour Captain Choices of the Home Nations Vote_rcap 34% 
[ 34 ]
Tour Captain Choices of the Home Nations Vote_lcap2%Tour Captain Choices of the Home Nations Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 2 ]
Tour Captain Choices of the Home Nations Vote_lcap0%Tour Captain Choices of the Home Nations Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Tour Captain Choices of the Home Nations Vote_lcap45%Tour Captain Choices of the Home Nations Vote_rcap 45% 
[ 45 ]
Tour Captain Choices of the Home Nations Vote_lcap2%Tour Captain Choices of the Home Nations Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 2 ]
Tour Captain Choices of the Home Nations Vote_lcap0%Tour Captain Choices of the Home Nations Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 99

Poll closed

Tour Captain Choices of the Home Nations Empty Tour Captain Choices of the Home Nations

Post by maestegmafia Fri 13 Apr 2012, 8:28 am

Lets look at who the board rate as the best possible tour captain for the Lions next year.

Pick Who you recommend as being the tour captain from the Poll below.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Tour Captain Choices of the Home Nations Empty Re: Tour Captain Choices of the Home Nations

Post by Effervescing Elephant Fri 13 Apr 2012, 8:51 am

Went for Warburton. Has lots of experience as captain of a winning side, nice chap as well. Things may change over the next year though.
Effervescing Elephant
Effervescing Elephant

Back to top Go down

Tour Captain Choices of the Home Nations Empty Re: Tour Captain Choices of the Home Nations

Post by rodders Fri 13 Apr 2012, 9:15 am

Went for Warburton too but wouldn't rule out O'Driscoll or O'Connell.

O'Connell has been awesome over the past 12 months and is a shoe in for the test team if he stays fit.

O'Driscoll has a lot to prove between now and March but looked to be easing back to fitness and form against the Blues.

Dylan Hartley?.......
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri 13 Apr 2012, 9:16 am

Sam Warburton. Not a question in my mind.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Scoped Fri 13 Apr 2012, 9:24 am

BOD if he tours, Warbs if not.

Scoped

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 13 Apr 2012, 9:44 am

Warburton no matter who tours. He is a great leader on the field and a fine example off the field. Oozes class. I cant see past him to be honest.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri 13 Apr 2012, 9:44 am

eirebilly wrote:Warburton no matter who tours. He is a great leader on the field and a fine example off the field. Oozes class. I cant see past him to be honest.

+1
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri 13 Apr 2012, 10:59 am

The problem with Warburton though is he seems very injury prone.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 13 Apr 2012, 11:06 am

So he doesnt get the captaincy because he is supposedly injury prone?
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri 13 Apr 2012, 11:08 am

eirebilly wrote:So he doesnt get the captaincy because he is supposedly injury prone?

He may miss the tour due to injuries.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 13 Apr 2012, 11:09 am

LondonTiger wrote:
eirebilly wrote:So he doesnt get the captaincy because he is supposedly injury prone?

He may miss the tour due to injuries.

He may not either. OK
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri 13 Apr 2012, 11:10 am

Indeed. If he is fit - I would expect him to:

a) be a certainty in the test side
b) be made captain.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by sugarNspikes Fri 13 Apr 2012, 11:11 am

Why is Hartley not on this list?

sugarNspikes

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri 13 Apr 2012, 11:22 am

That isn't what I am saying.. it is a clear disadvantage though if he is injured often and can't actually play the majority of the matches.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 13 Apr 2012, 11:24 am

Is he injured so often though Rory or does it stand out more because he is such a great player?
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri 13 Apr 2012, 11:25 am

Both billy, I would say.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 13 Apr 2012, 11:38 am

Ok, fair dues but with the distance between now and the Lions i would not factor any possible injury concerns into my rekoning. In my eyes he is the standout player to lead the Lions.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Fri 13 Apr 2012, 11:41 am

Warburton.

BOD and O Connell aren't guaranteed of starting. Warburton if fit is likely to.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri 13 Apr 2012, 11:45 am

To be fair this year he has been injured quite a lot.

- Went off at half time against Ireland with injury
- Missed the game against Scotland due to injury
- Played against England but picked up another injury
- Missed the game against Italy due to injury
- Went off at half time against France with injury
- Missed the ERC quarter finals due to injury
- Will miss the International Summer Tour due to injury

Maybe he is trying to come back too early.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 13 Apr 2012, 11:50 am

Himself or were Wales desperate to have him back?

He has had a bad year so far but it hasnt always been like this.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 13 Apr 2012, 11:54 am

red_stag wrote:To be fair this year he has been injured quite a lot.

Wales have had a few injuries this year... maybe this is the downside to pushing the players so hard in Spala........

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by jay_welsh Fri 13 Apr 2012, 11:55 am

I don't think Sam is that injury prone, it's just that it's a rugby world cup year, and players have to play an incredible amount of games in a season, a lot of the time whilst injured. Assuming Warburton is fit though, he'll be captain.

jay_welsh

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri 13 Apr 2012, 12:09 pm

Yes I dont see it as a major worry. He is definite captain IMO
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri 13 Apr 2012, 12:16 pm

roddersm wrote:

Wales have had a few injuries this year... maybe this is the downside to pushing the players so hard in Spala........

I was thinking that too. Maybe their week in Poland is damaging them in the long run.. I mean you can't really push players too hard in season without causing a complete overload to their nervous systems. That is asking for an injury to be honest.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Fri 13 Apr 2012, 12:35 pm

Only one candidate for me.

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Fri 13 Apr 2012, 12:46 pm

Well BOD and POC have so far been on this thread the only other alternatives to Warburton and they are under an injury cloud themselves. So I think Warburton is still a good choice as I think BOD, if able to tour, is best left to playing his game without the burden of the captaincy (indeed I think the same when he plays for Ireland).

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 13 Apr 2012, 12:50 pm

sugarNspikes wrote:Why is Hartley not on this list?

If you can make a valid case as to why Dylan Hartley should be included, then i will ask a moderator if we can add him.

Though reading the concerns of posters below as to whether the leading candidates may be too likely to suffer an injury diminishing their chances, possibly the same applies to a player who has served to recent and lengthy bans for unacceptable behaviour, eye gouging and biting an opponent.

The later being reasons why the other Home Nations may not think him a valid candidate.

I did not include him because I didn't consider him a likely candidate, I'm not sure he will even tour.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 13 Apr 2012, 12:53 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:Well BOD and POC have so far been on this thread the only other alternatives to Warburton and they are under an injury cloud themselves. So I think Warburton is still a good choice as I think BOD, if able to tour, is best left to playing his game without the burden of the captaincy (indeed I think the same when he plays for Ireland).

I voted Warburton though I do see bod as the primary candidate of on top of his game as I imagine he will be. Though I also think it would be provident for BOD to not have the responsibility. Likewise POC. Making whoever the candidate finally is a lucky guy to have two experienced captains as advisors.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 13 Apr 2012, 12:55 pm

If O'Connell is playing as well as he is now I'd go for him.

On form the man is an absolute titan and there's a lot more to being a Lions captain than on field duties and media roles - you need to be a figure head too. Someone to rile the opposition and throw anything they've got right back in their faces when you're in the doo doo (can't swear). Johnson had it, O'Connell has it and I'm just not sure Warbuton has the same presence.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Fri 13 Apr 2012, 1:23 pm

Last I heard he was due to recover in time for that one. Six weeks out ultimately.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Fri 13 Apr 2012, 1:37 pm

That´s a good call RDW. POC certainly has those qualities you mention. Personally I've felt forwards make better candidates for captain given those qualities you mention. It´s easier to rile the opposition and play the angel to the ref in the forwards than in the backs. When I think of the great AB captains, Fitzpatrick, McCaw, Kirkpatrick etc they are all up in the heat of the action. Let´s face it. For the Lions to win, you need your forwards to get dominance. Better a captain to be amongst that battle for ascendancy than quaffing his hair out in the backs!

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri 13 Apr 2012, 2:05 pm

To be fair, Warburton did not miss a game at the WC, unless you count his unfortunate dismissal against France, but that was not an injury.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 13 Apr 2012, 2:16 pm

Warbs has always been injury prone, same thing happened to him for the Blues and Wales last season as well (remember he went off after 10 mins against France when we were playing out in Paris.

I was amazed he survived the rwc, but if he is managed properly, he should keep on top of his injuries I reckon.

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri 13 Apr 2012, 2:23 pm

Dont forget dreamer, he is still young, I am sure he will get over this injury issues as soon as his body hardens up. Yahoo

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 13 Apr 2012, 2:25 pm

There is that but he was quoted in an interview this week about restricting the amount of games the top players play each season, and he makes a fair point. He says after the internationals the players are in bits and just can't perform as well for their regions which isn't fair to the players, the regions or the fans that way.

Tis definitely something that needs looking into.

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri 13 Apr 2012, 2:28 pm

rugbydreamer wrote:There is that but he was quoted in an interview this week about restricting the amount of games the top players play each season, and he makes a fair point. He says after the internationals the players are in bits and just can't perform as well for their regions which isn't fair to the players, the regions or the fans that way.

Tis definitely something that needs looking into.

HERE, HERE. clap

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Fri 13 Apr 2012, 3:01 pm

Warburton isn't assured of his place at the moment. Ross Rennie I think has played more rugby and looked better than Warburton when Edinburgh played Cardiff in the HC. Furthermore Warburton hasn't played much rugby recently.

Right after the world cup he was I would say one of the best 7s in the world. Hasn't shown that form in 2012.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Fri 13 Apr 2012, 3:03 pm

Voted for POC btw. His form has been very good recently. Although I think they should bring a swear box into the dressing room if he gets the captaincy.

Worth mentioning there is a lot of rugby to be played between now and then.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 13 Apr 2012, 3:12 pm

Radge - Warbs was exceptional against England in the 6N's, better then anything he did in the rwc if you ask me.

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 13 Apr 2012, 3:14 pm

Warbs if everyone's fit, BOD if not, if neither then it's going to depend on who is starting as Robshaw and Wood and POC and Rees are all good candidates but none are by any means certain to tour never mind start
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Fri 13 Apr 2012, 3:23 pm

Voted POC - I feel he has unfinished business with the Lions and after the last tour knows what the Lions are all about. Like everyone dependent on form and him having the ability to last 80 minutes in every test. On the basis of his form this year that shouldn't be a problem (injuries withstanding).

Warbarton as vice captain for me (not a fan of backs being captains or front row players who are likely to be subbed) as he is a must for the 7 shirt if fit and anywhere near to being on his game. I was impressed by Rennie during the 6N but feel Warbarton is a class above.

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Fri 13 Apr 2012, 5:05 pm

I personaly think that If, If Warbutton is fit Gatland will make him Captain.

But i do agree with a lot of post on here about Warbutton being injury prone, but i dont think that will make mutch difference to Gatland, If Warbutton is on that plane he will be Captain. However who will be second choice if Warbutton gets injured?

Will Paul O'connel be in the squad? What about Robshaw? Odriscoll? maybe.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by niwatts Fri 13 Apr 2012, 11:12 pm

Should without a doubt be O'Connell. The best captain in the NH. He's the man that has been there and done that at almost every significant level, a great inspirer, an abundance of presence, and of the starters picked he's the man you would have the most faith in in following into battle.

niwatts

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Fri 13 Apr 2012, 11:39 pm

Not sure about alternative choices but I don't think Ford should be Scotland captain ,and therefore assured of his place, until he learns to throw the ball in straight at lineouts.

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by radelven Sat 14 Apr 2012, 1:55 am

Warburton is a cracking player (probably better than O'Connell) and Wales have done well for the games he's lead them in, but O'Connell is the more encompassing leader, forceful character and presence that you would want as your captain.

radelven

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Sat 14 Apr 2012, 2:00 am

Personally don't see what makes O'Connell the best captain in the NH.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Sat 14 Apr 2012, 2:04 am

Never looked great as int'l captain might I add. Hasn't won any meaningful games when leading Ireland. Looked out of sorts when leading the Lions in 09. It takes more than talking straight in the changing rooms to be a good skipper, it takes leadership on the field also.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by monwy Sat 14 Apr 2012, 3:39 am

Are you saying that O'Connell doesn't give leadership on the field?

If you're questioning the number of meaningful games Ireland have won with O'Connell as captain, you could do the same for Wales & Warburton. Only really against Ireland in the WC and England in the 6N. He didn't see the 2nd half in the other 6N games he was fit for, against France and Ireland (and Wales were 8 points behind at that stage in the latter).

monwy

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sat 14 Apr 2012, 4:12 am

I dont see why O'Driscoll or Warburton should not be considered for the captaincy just because of injury.

Look at Richie McCaw he is the best captain in the world and he often plays when he is injured.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sat 14 Apr 2012, 6:20 am

Look at Richie McCaw he is the best captain in the world and he often plays when he is injured.

Different class of player though. Whistle

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next