The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Season updates thread

+21
sirfredperry
Pal Joey
seanmichaels
kingraf
DP
NickisBHAFC
Carrotdude
alfie
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Barney92
Liam
guildfordbat
Good Golly I'm Olly
Corporalhumblebucket
hampo17
Shelsey93
JDizzle
Mike Selig
Mad for Chelsea
Fists of Fury
hodge
25 posters

Page 12 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Season updates thread - Page 12 Empty Season updates thread

Post by hodge Mon 16 Apr 2012, 12:35 am

First topic message reminder :

I just thought for anyone who is playing this season that we could have a thread where people give updates on how their season is going both personally and for their team if they are interested?

As I said in another thread I have what are apparantly my university's first every cricket games thursday and friday this week and i'm captaining the side, no pressure there Shocked We have Newport cricket clubs midweek team on thursday and face UWE 2nd XI on friday who a freind of mine is captain so we have a little wager on the outcome of the game. Loser has to buy the winner a drink for every club 2nd XI game we both play in Shocked Again no pressure there!

Anyways good luck to everyone for this season, unless somehow in some strange case you end up playing against me! boxing

hodge

Back to top Go down

Season updates thread - Page 12 Empty Re: Season updates thread

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 27 May 2021, 11:52 am

guildfordbat wrote:
Mind the windows Tino. wrote:We got a game in on Saturday.....just.

There was rain forecast for later in the afternoon so the oppo won the toss and batted, presumably thinking the conditions would become more difficult (sun was out when the toss was made) but we rolled them over relatively cheaply for 136 all out.

We then made an absolute hash of chasing it down and were 20 odd for 4 at one point. We were thankful for our numbers 5 (our no 5 hit 4 consecutive 6's at one point. Hitting absolute bombs) and 6 who had a very good partnership and got us to within 10 runs before another few wickets fell. I went in to bat at 8 which is probably a place or two lower than I can bat (likewise with our no 9 so we had a long ish batting lineup) and I was 1 n.o when the rain came in. It got really heavy, really quickly and despite the opposition moaning, the umpires sent us off. We waited 30 minutes as per the rules and by that point, there were puddles all over the outfield. We were ahead on run rate so took the 30 points and went home early.

I took a couple of wickets and had an absolute stonewall LBW turned down but happy with the win.

We have only played one game out of 4 due to the weather but sit second in the league as everyone has basically had most games washed out.

Tino - a couple of wickets is a proper return. Two is massively more than one. Always suggests you've been in a real contest and held your own. OK

Thanks, GB. I was really pleased although still simmering a little over the LBW. I know everyone thinks they are out but it hit him on the knee roll, playing back and was going to crash into middle and off. I politely asked the Umpire and he said height was an issue. Definitely wasn't going over but have to respect the decision. They call what they see and are only human. I'd have been reviewing it if I was a test player though!

I opened the bowling which I don't normally do these days, certainly as I've got older and the pace slips away. I normally come on first or second change but we were light on bowlers so opened up which I haven't done for a few years now. Was really pleased to contribute as it makes such a difference if your opening bowlers can get a couple of wickets. Sets the right tone from the get go.

Back to full strength next this weekend though so I won't be opening up.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 27 May 2021, 11:53 am

JDizzle wrote:

We have a Hundred game tomorrow. Which as no-one has seen it on TV and how it works in the pro game yet, could be absolute anarchy.

Nice! Let us know how you get on with that.

Who knows what a good score is a Hundred game!

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Thu 27 May 2021, 11:00 pm

Initial assessment is not particularly good of the Hundred! Doesn’t really save any time - certainly at our standard. As bowlers aren’t ready to go, then you end up changing the field so much if you go from seamer to spinner mid ‘over’ or vice versa, it may even slow things down. Our skipper was moaning about it being too complicated to track each bowlers balls bowled but that should come with time. The main takeaway is to be quick in the field with bowling and fielding changes. Aside from that it is just cricket at the end of the day.

We did win - I snagged 2 wickets and fired a quick 30* - and chased 130. So we get to have another go in the next round!

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 01 Jun 2021, 3:34 pm

Lost on Saturday. Not going into too many details but I bowled 7 wicketless overs and got a 3rd ball duck batting at 6.

I hate cricket.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 01 Jun 2021, 3:56 pm

It sounds like we exchanged weekends from a couple back, sorry Tino! I got a 3rd ball duck in a rank loss two weekends ago but got 72 in a 2 run win this weekend. We bowled them out in the penultimate over in a thriller.

The lad who got that final wicket is a 16-year-old who's been struggling with confidence a bit. His twin brother is a very talented cricketer playing a couple of sides above him and I think falling slightly behind the twin he's usually attached by the hip to has knocked him a bit. It was brilliant seeing the grin on his face as he took his 4th wicket to finish off a tight win!

To be honest it probably shouldn't have been a thriller as we dropped 5 or 6 catches and gave away close to 20 runs in wides and no balls, but still really great to get a win.

As a club the senior mens set-up had some really poor losses in our warm ups and round 1 of the league 2 weekends ago. So there was a really great feeling around the club on Saturday afternoon when all 5 senior mens sides won their round 2 league games. Sadly the ladies lost a really tight game on Sunday so not quite a full house but very close.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 01 Jun 2021, 4:05 pm

king_carlos wrote:I got a 3rd ball duck in a rank loss two weekends ago but got 72 in a 2 run win this weekend. We bowled them out in the penultimate over in a thriller.

I went against all the advice I tell the colts about taking a look at the bowler. Came into bat against an off spinner. Three balls in, down on one knee eyeing up a maximum over cow and hit the ball straight up in the air.

72 is a great effort, KC. Well played champ. Sounds like a proper thriller you were involved in!

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 01 Jun 2021, 4:45 pm

Finger spinners get an inordinate number of wickets in club cricket due to brain farts. I think all of us have got out to a straight break bowler and had to trudge back to the pavilion wondering what possessed us to play that shot. "It looked like a pie coming out his hand I promise skips".

Mine was a pretty dour innings to be honest, Tino. After 5 failures in a row opening the batting for a new club I'll take it though. Gets me going so to say!

The outfield was absurdly long so the majority of the it was run between the wickets and my fitness was severely lacking. I was getting run off my feet by a former 1st team player twice my age during one partnership! Laugh

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 01 Jun 2021, 9:38 pm

We got thumped by 9 wickets on Saturday - I was out for 4, no complaints - opening bowler just nipped one off a good length which beat my defence and clipped top of off stump. Gonna happen from time to time!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Mon 07 Jun 2021, 2:03 pm

Back to winning ways this week. We scored 216-9 off 45 but on a very, very slow outfield. We thought it was more like 240. We were pretty confident defending it and so it turned out. Their openers put on 30 odd between them but we bowled them out for 123 in less than 35 overs.

I got a couple of wickets bowling first change and scored 22 batting at 7 before feathering one through to the keeper. Unfortunately, it was to an off spinner for the second week in a row so now all my teammates are claiming I can't play spin (they may have a point) which will no doubt stay with me for the duration of the season no matter how many runs I score off them.

Much better personal contribution than last weeks disaster.

Glorious weather to play cricket in as well. First time this season I've really felt like it was cricket weather.

How did everyone else get on?

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

king_carlos and Good Golly I'm Olly like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Mon 07 Jun 2021, 2:43 pm

A good win for ourselves at the weekend too.

Bowled first on a tasty uncovered track (sadly the club we were playing had vandals destroy their covers and nets over the winter) and a disciplined bowling performance saw us bowl them out for 107. Given the very green pitch that wasn't as awful a score as it seemed. We had a bowling heavy side and they batted very well to only be around 60-2 after 20 overs of our first 4 bowlers hitting great areas. Thankfully the bowling depth told and our 5th and 6th bowlers took 7 wickets between them for not many at all.

I made a start opening the batting, fought through the tough period against decent opening bowlers and then threw it away just before the change bowlers came on. I was pretty furious with myself but had done the important part my job in a way by seeing off their better bowlers as we were 65-4 when I got out and chased down the 108 to win with 5 wickets to spare.

Frustratingly I've woken up with a horribly swollen knee out of nowhere. Bizarre as it felt absolutely fine during and after the game but has blown up over night. I've dislocated my knee cap on that side a few times playing rugby and have had a meniscus tear as well, so tendon issues since those injuries aren't alien to me. I'm hoping it's just a flare up of tendonitis rather than anything more serious as I've really enjoyed playing cricket again so far this summer.

king_carlos

Good Golly I'm Olly likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Mon 07 Jun 2021, 2:49 pm

king_carlos wrote:

Frustratingly I've woken up with a horribly swollen knee out of nowhere. Bizarre as it felt absolutely fine during and after the game but has blown up over night. I've dislocated my knee cap on that side a few times playing rugby and have had a meniscus tear as well, so tendon issues since those injuries aren't alien to me. I'm hoping it's just a flare up of tendonitis rather than anything more serious as I've really enjoyed playing cricket again so far this summer.

Hope that clears up for you, champ. I'm in my early 40's so at least one section of my body falls apart after each game really. Just have to navigate the week to make sure I'm ready for the following Saturday.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 07 Jun 2021, 3:36 pm

We won by about 45 runs on Saturday - I lose the toss and we were inserted (I wanted to bowl first, our pitch was covered but the outfield dries quickly and was a little wet, so wanted to bat 2nd when everything was a tad drier), we got to 52-1 and then ended up 65-5...fortunately our number 6 got a very handy 46* to get us to 142 all out, which was defendable - and defend it we did! Bowled superbly, and our fielding was great, didn't drop one catch and I even took one at slip!

Batting wise, I got 31 off 50 balls opening the batting - fairly annoying at myself this week, did the hard work of seeing off the 7 overs from their opening bowler, and they then brought on a county woman bowler (U18 level), who was quick and a good bowler, but skiddy and a bit erratic. Unfortunately, after noting how skiddy she was, I said to myself don't get caught going back to anything, as it wasn't bouncing much...then two balls later she bowled one which I thought was short, I rocked back to hoik it over mid wicket, and it cleaned me up middle stump. As soon as I went to hit the shot I knew I was in trouble...stupid stupid! Feeling in pretty good nick at the moment, so just annoyed at the mental lapse letting me down
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Mon 07 Jun 2021, 3:46 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:We won by about 45 runs on Saturday - I lose the toss and we were inserted (I wanted to bowl first, our pitch was covered but the outfield dries quickly and was a little wet, so wanted to bat 2nd when everything was a tad drier), we got to 52-1 and then ended up 65-5...fortunately our number 6 got a very handy 46* to get us to 142 all out, which was defendable - and defend it we did! Bowled superbly, and our fielding was great, didn't drop one catch and I even took one at slip!

Batting wise, I got 31 off 50 balls opening the batting - fairly annoying at myself this week, did the hard work of seeing off the 7 overs from their opening bowler, and they then brought on a county woman bowler (U18 level), who was quick and a good bowler, but skiddy and a bit erratic. Unfortunately, after noting how skiddy she was, I said to myself don't get caught going back to anything, as it wasn't bouncing much...then two balls later she bowled one which I thought was short, I rocked back to hoik it over mid wicket, and it cleaned me up middle stump. As soon as I went to hit the shot I knew I was in trouble...stupid stupid! Feeling in pretty good nick at the moment, so just annoyed at the mental lapse letting me down

Good stuff, Olly. Didn't realise you were skipper. Always feel like anything close to 150 generally gives you at least a chance to defend it in village cricket but you've still got to do the business with the ball. Always good to lead from the front with runs and a catch. Well played.

I also feel in pretty good nick so far but just haven't translated it into a proper score yet. I would consider myself more of a batter who can bowl but this year my bowling has been the better of the disciplines by a mile. I need a gutsy half century like Carlos got t'other week then I reckon the runs will flow a bit. Just need to stop getting out to non turning off spinners!

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Mon 07 Jun 2021, 4:37 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:We won by about 45 runs on Saturday - I lose the toss and we were inserted (I wanted to bowl first, our pitch was covered but the outfield dries quickly and was a little wet, so wanted to bat 2nd when everything was a tad drier), we got to 52-1 and then ended up 65-5...fortunately our number 6 got a very handy 46* to get us to 142 all out, which was defendable - and defend it we did! Bowled superbly, and our fielding was great, didn't drop one catch and I even took one at slip!

I know that feeling all too well from this weekend.

I've  always had a bit of a heavy head, have a tendency for my front leg to fall across, blocking me off so I can't access balls on my pads, prime LBW candidate. Since joining the new club I've put in a lot of quality training hours drilling a smaller trigger movement and keeping my head forward so I don't fall across my stumps.

On Sunday I felt really solid against their strong opening bowlers even though I wasn't scoring much on a tough wicket. When their change bowler came on I missed out on two gimmes in a row that I hit straight to fielders and got frustrated with myself. Next ball I'm preempting smashing one rather than just concentrating on my basics, across the head drops, my front leg falls bang in front of the stumps and I was absolutely plumb. I practically walked for an LBW appeal.

Batting can be so brutal mentally because of that. One lapse and your day's done.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Mon 07 Jun 2021, 6:33 pm

If anyone needs to feel better about their batting, after I was dismissed LBW on Saturday both the opposition keeper and wicket keeper came up to me at drinks to tell me how I unlucky I was! It was more out the middle than some of the boundaries I hit.

We were poor on Saturday. Collapsed to 130 chasing 190. But cause of the BH we basically had 5 non cricketers filling in so could do nothing after the fifth wicket fell. Which was frustrating against one of the weaker teams in our league. The relegation dogfight is on!

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 14 Aug 2021, 10:51 pm

https://www.instagram.com/p/CSkc93Djcqm/?utm_medium=copy_link

New personal best today! Second ever century! Was 25 off 62 balls, then 50 off 77 and out for 129 off 128. Proper old school ODI behaviour. Hundred was brought up with an advancing six over extra cover, legitimately think it’s the best shot I’ve ever played in my life Laugh
Youngster in the photo JC is only 12, but not out of place in adult cricket at all. Heck of a technique on him already.

Been having a decent season, but not had that big score until today. A lot of 50 and out (4 fifties this year, and now a hundred).
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Pal Joey, alfie, Duty281 and VTR like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 15 Aug 2021, 6:03 am

Hey well done Olly !

Century always a great moment but to reach it in style with a (very stylish sounding) six adds a extra touch clap clap clap

You are indeed having a good season ... Keep it up mate thumbsup

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 16 Aug 2021, 9:18 am

alfie wrote:Hey well done Olly !

Century always a great moment but to reach it in style with a (very stylish sounding) six adds a extra touch  clap clap clap

You are indeed having a good season ... Keep it up mate   thumbsup

You’re too kind Alfie - only two more games left now!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 19 Aug 2021, 11:14 am

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:
alfie wrote:Hey well done Olly !

Century always a great moment but to reach it in style with a (very stylish sounding) six adds a extra touch  clap clap clap

You are indeed having a good season ... Keep it up mate   thumbsup

You’re too kind Alfie - only two more games left now!

Great stuff Olly. Been many years since I scored a ton. I'm barely over 100 runs combined this season sadly.

Not been a good season with the bat for me. I actually got our first team coach to film me in the nets the other day. First time for years I done that. When he showed me the side on view, I was horrified at my backlift. It is basically pointing at gully and he could read all the stickers on the back of my bat. It is then coming down at all sorts of funky angles on impact. I'm either edging behind or getting hit on the pad as I can't get my bat down and round my front leg quick enough.

I'm going to work hard in the winter nets and try to get my backlift pointing at 1st slip instead. Bit late for this season but hopefully will help next year.

Well played, champ.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 21 Nov 2021, 8:32 am

Momentous weekend : first club game since last February. Despite dodgy forecast the weather was fine (unlike last week when the first scheduled round was totally obliterated by biblical downpours)

We lost - narrowly. Personally happy to get through my eight overs undamaged , one wicket and not too much hammer taken - though regretting dropping a low C&B which could have influenced the result as well as giving my own figures a bit more polish...

Just nice to be back on the field again. And that it seems the umpires are now happy to hold one's hat while bowling rather than having to employ it as an extra fielder behind the bowling mark Smile

alfie

JDizzle, guildfordbat, king_carlos and Good Golly I'm Olly like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 21 Nov 2021, 1:45 pm

Excellent news Alfie - glad to hear you got back out there, and turned the arm over. Look forward to reading your updates, hope you go well!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 11 Dec 2021, 12:56 pm

Latest update : four rounds in and we are 2 and 2 (mainly thanks to receiving a walkover in round two) Nice win today , albeit a team that for once had more 13 year olds than us Smile

Personally glad to be still on the park at all as the left ankle is giving a lot of grief : after about six to eight overs it tells me I am nuts to be still doing this and renders late innings fielding seriously painful. Can't train but it keeps coming up OK by the next week so can do my bit - and frustratingly it's coming out OK as long as I can keep running in , though I've not had a big bag of wickets yet. One more game then I can rest a bit over Christmas...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 11 Dec 2021, 3:38 pm

You have to ask if it would be wise to rest Alfie for the day nighter after Christmas…. Wink

Happy one Englishman got a win down under today! Top work
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

alfie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 18 Dec 2021, 4:55 am

Another forfeit gives us another "win" Smile

Silly season , this. Good timing for me as I am struggling to walk leave alone run and would have had to miss anyway. Hope I can get this fixed over the Xmas break.

Meanwhile I get to watch the Test in peace...which might be a mixed blessing Smile

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Mon 28 Feb 2022, 6:52 am

Last Saturday saw the end of my season as our team was pushed out of finals contention by a series of losses this month...

Probably a good thing for me : I have for the past five weeks been unable to walk by the end of the day (all being one day games I have bowled my eight overs just about each time) and indeed it has usually taken me until at least Wednesday to start moving remotely easily again. Should have packed it in I guess but we've been struggling for numbers so kept getting up each week - but will be glad now of a chance to rest properly and get the calf/Achilles injury sorted .

I actually had an OK season with the ball considering the handicap - at least until last week when a big chap took a liking to my stuff and took me for an embarrassing 18 off one over : I felt like Chris Jordan Smile I guess he had a licence to go wild as we had only set them a miserable 71 to win on a small ground. He maybe did me a favour as I now have to play on next year - can't finish on that note !

alfie

guildfordbat and Good Golly I'm Olly like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 28 Feb 2022, 8:56 am

Glad to read you managed to survive the season despite your ailments Alfie! Sounds like it might be worth a trip to a physio just to make sure all is ok?

Things are beginning to churn our end for our new season now - in fact winter nets have been happening but I have been unable to attend, and our club has produced all manner of fancy new "strategies" and "visions" this offseason, following our 1st XIs rather poor output the last few years. On one hand it is nice to see the club really want to strive to make improvements both in the short and long term, on the other I am not sure it's really going to translate down to me in the 4th XI all this talk of KPIs and team goals....
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Mon 28 Feb 2022, 10:15 pm

Blimey , Olly : is Peter Moores or Chris Silverwood taking over your club ? Whenever people start coming out with a lot of verbiage in an attempt to lift the performance of a club I start to glaze over...

Sure every team should strive for improvement ; but that usually comes down to getting the right leaders in place and making sure practice sessions are well run. Get the basics right , etc...but I know I'm old fashioned Smile

Thanks for the good wishes -I have already spent a fair amount of brass on various sports medicine therapies ! They do work though. Expect to make a full recovery now I'm no longer re-injuring myself each week...though it may take a little longer than similar problems did when I was only sixty or so ...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 08 May 2022, 11:06 am

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Glad to read you managed to survive the season despite your ailments Alfie! Sounds like it might be worth a trip to a physio just to make sure all is ok?

Things are beginning to churn our end for our new season now - in fact winter nets have been happening but I have been unable to attend, and our club has produced all manner of fancy new "strategies" and "visions" this offseason, following our 1st XIs rather poor output the last few years. On one hand it is nice to see the club really want to strive to make improvements both in the short and long term, on the other I am not sure it's really going to translate down to me in the 4th XI all this talk of KPIs and team goals....

Well my natural pessimism might have been misplaced - the club seem to have really galvanised over the winter, a lot (upto £7k so far) new sponsorship on board has allowed us to buy some new equipment and plan for some more in the future. And all four sides have started the season quite well!

As for me, two games in and two fifties on the board! 56 and 58 the past two weeks. Feeling good, carrying off from where I left off last season, slightly annoyed I didn't kick on in either of those knocks and got out as I just got going...
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 21 May 2022, 10:10 pm

My ridiculous run of form continues apace with the bat - followed up the 56 and 58 with a 54 last week, and an 80 (88) this week.

I am seeing it like an absolute beachball at the moment...albeit I was dropped on 1 today (creamed a pull shot, directly to square leg - was a tough catch but should've been taken).

Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 22 May 2022, 5:26 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:My ridiculous run of form continues apace with the bat - followed up the 56 and 58 with a 54 last week, and an 80 (88) this week.

I am seeing it like an absolute beachball at the moment...albeit I was dropped on 1 today (creamed a pull shot, directly to square leg - was a tough catch but should've been taken).

Hi Olly - I'll say very well done! clap However, if I get a chance to mention your run of form to Alec Stewart, I'm sure he'll voice frustration that having got so far you haven't gone on to 3 figures. Wink Wink

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 14 Oct 2022, 7:50 am

Getting a little frustrated here as the well publicised heavy rain over south eastern Australia has just had tomorrow's game called off already... As only the 1st and 2nd XIs started a couple of weeks ago , this would have been my first outing for the new season.

Have been bowling quite well in nets (touch wood , no injury signs yet !) despite somewhat unwisely bowling for a full hour at first practice session and suffering a deal of soreness for several days thereafter : should have known better ! Was looking forward to getting out there. Ah well , maybe next week...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 14 Oct 2022, 9:29 am

alfie wrote:Getting a little frustrated here as the well publicised heavy rain over south eastern Australia has just had tomorrow's game called off already... As only the 1st and 2nd XIs started a couple of weeks ago , this would have been my first outing for the new season.  

Have been bowling quite well in nets (touch wood , no injury signs yet !) despite somewhat unwisely bowling for a full hour at first practice session and suffering a deal of soreness for several days thereafter : should have known better !  Was looking forward to getting out there.  Ah well , maybe next week...

Glad to hear you are healed from last season Alfie - albeit still working through usual bumps and bruises after first net sessions of the year! Hope the weather holds for you

My 2022 season was the best I've had, ever. Unfortunately 2nd half of the year was curtailed by club issues with player availability meaning I was flipping between sides and we had some games called off...but in the end I ended with the following #stats;

15 innings, 2 not outs, 699 runs at an average of 53.77 with 7 fifties (no centuries). My scores went 56, 58, 54, 80, 65, 19, 24, 35, 38, 91*, 91*, 16, 19, 14, 39.
Average obviously inflated by the back to back 91* scores (carried my bat in one of them), and somehow managed to go the year without a single figure score (albeit on the 91* I was dropped at slip second ball, so some luck involved).

A bit depressing that I probably know I'll never "beat" that season - and that it tailed off towards the end (usually my seasons go the other way)...but I think I've really finally cracked my scoring areas and setup at the crease now (ie. I'm never going to be strong down the ground, so stop trying to whack it back over the bowlers head!!)
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 14 Oct 2022, 9:57 am

Quite a season , Olly ! The two 91 not outs in a row is a rare stat...

Suppose the harsh critics will say you suffered from Joe Root syndrome (before the last two years) of not enough conversions to centuries 😊

But honestly as you are yet pretty young I can't see any reason why you shouldn't match or beat that set of results in the future : as you say , you've learned more about your game ; so as long as you remember to play to your strengths I look forward to seeing further good reports when your season rolls around again...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri 14 Oct 2022, 12:07 pm

My 2022 season was the best I've had, ever. Unfortunately 2nd half of the year was curtailed by club issues with player availability meaning I was flipping between sides and we had some games called off...but in the end I ended with the following #stats;

15 innings, 2 not outs, 699 runs at an average of 53.77 with 7 fifties (no centuries). My scores went 56, 58, 54, 80, 65, 19, 24, 35, 38, 91*, 91*, 16, 19, 14, 39.

That's a fantastic season, Olly. Some big scores there and you're so consistent. Well done! clap

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 16 Oct 2022, 11:34 pm

alfie wrote:Getting a little frustrated here as the well publicised heavy rain over south eastern Australia has just had tomorrow's game called off already... As only the 1st and 2nd XIs started a couple of weeks ago , this would have been my first outing for the new season.  

Have been bowling quite well in nets (touch wood , no injury signs yet !) despite somewhat unwisely bowling for a full hour at first practice session and suffering a deal of soreness for several days thereafter : should have known better !  Was looking forward to getting out there.  Ah well , maybe next week...

Glad to hear you are healed from last season Alfie - albeit still working through usual bumps and bruises after first net sessions of the year! Hope the weather holds for you

Average obviously inflated by the back to back 91* scores (carried my bat in one of them), and somehow managed to go the year without a single figure score (albeit on the 91* I was dropped at slip second ball, so some luck involved).

A bit depressing that I probably know I'll never "beat" that season - and that it tailed off towards the end (usually my seasons go the other way)...but I think I've really finally cracked my scoring areas and setup at the crease now (ie. I'm never going to be strong down the ground, so stop trying to whack it back over the bowlers head!!)

Alfie - glad the only thing holding you back is the Aussie weather!

Olly - great scores and outstanding consistency. clap   Yeah, some luck in being dropped second ball but it wasn't luck after that got 91 in red ink against your name. Making the most of an opportunity is such an important part of the game. A couple of questions. What do you reckon was your best innings and why? A master batsman like you will understand it needn't necessarily be your top score! And, on behalf of Alec Stewart, when you got a 50, did you always win the game? Wink

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 17 Oct 2022, 9:01 am

Thanks for the kind words Alfie/PJ/Guildford

Guildford - I will answer your questions with a couple!

Most important knock - the first 91* was the most important, because it helped chase down 191 for the loss of only 1 wicket - which may not *seem* important, but we basically had me/my opening partner and our number 3 as useful bats that day, and we let them get the 60/70 more runs than we should have via poor fielding...and this was the one I wasn't dropped 2nd ball. It was good to see a chase through all the way to the end (not often for an opener!)

The best I felt/best knock I played was probably the 80. You only have to look at the scorecard below to see, we were smashed in the game but personally I was seeing it like a freaking beachball that game - and I know this because I hit the spinner for a six over long on, which is like a "my god you're in some form" type occurrence for me. Unfortunately, as you can see, when I got a 50 we did not always win though Guildford, so Stewie would be on my back Very Happy Very Happy
https://horsford.play-cricket.com/website/results/5392388
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

guildfordbat likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Mon 17 Oct 2022, 9:21 am

Blimey , Olly : you could have done with a bit more support in that game ! Rest of your bats obviously weren't seeing it at all... more ducks in there than I saw on my afternoon stroll past the local canal...

Must have been some pretty good opposition bowling so that 80 being your best seems like a good call thumbsup

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 06 Nov 2022, 8:16 am

Not much of an update ... because after four rounds for which my grade was scheduled , we are yet to take the field . Two in a row washed out ; then a round in which we had a bye ; and yesterday I actually got kitted out and drove to the ground - only to find out the opposition had advised at the very last minute that they were unable to field a team picard

And now I see the forecast for next week is for lots of rain Friday/Saturday...

Maybe I should take up Croquet instead ?

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 13 Nov 2022, 12:08 am

Happy to report we finally made it on to the field yesterday ! Mostly grey skies but NO blasted rain !

We got smashed but just good to be playing again. Mixed day for me personally : 0/10 off seven overs but dropped a catch at slip... no body parts fell off : so two out of three ain't bad...

Roll on next week thumbsup

alfie

Pal Joey and Good Golly I'm Olly like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 13 Nov 2022, 1:57 pm

alfie wrote:Happy to report we finally made it on to the field yesterday ! Mostly grey skies but NO blasted rain !

We got smashed but just good to be playing again. Mixed day for me personally : 0/10 off seven overs but dropped a catch at slip... no body parts fell off : so two out of three ain't bad...

Roll on next week thumbsup

Tidy figures to start the season Alfie - body held up ok today?
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Mon 14 Nov 2022, 5:01 am

Yes all good thanks Olly. Actually the best I have felt for a while physically (touch wood !) - perhaps a delayed start to matches might have been a good thing - easing into the season ?
Will see how things go ...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 10 Dec 2022, 9:56 am

As promised/threatened , a new update ...

Messy is the word. Three washouts , two forfeits received , three games actually played...I had a tight first match spell , smashed all over - and out of - the park in the next game (in defence we played in driving rain being desperate to get on the field !) and then bounced back with 2/7 off eight and very nearly engineered a successful defence of a mere 76.

So I was looking forward to this week. My (sadly giving lots of pain ) right shoulder had other ideas and I pulled out rather than risk breaking down after a few balls and letting the side down. The good thing being the chap who stepped in (his grade fortunately receiving their own forfeit in timely manner !) hit a fast fifty , led the team to about twice our normal score and we won by miles...I might not get back in at this rate Smile

Hope I can recover. Hope it doesn't need cortisone . Been here before. Pray for me ?

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 10 Dec 2022, 11:58 am

Keeping fingers crossed for your shoulder Alfie - especially as your place in the side is under threat!! Smile
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 15 Jan 2023, 11:27 pm

Not great news for me this morning as the results of my U/S show a full tear of the Supraspinatus tendon which effectively means I won't be bowling again this season... Just have to hope it will heal with rest and physio or else I'd be having to contemplate surgery some way down the track - and even that not totally assured to fix it perfectly.
Damn. Had been more optimistic as it has clearly been improving a lot : just have to hope my own gut feeling (that it will heal ; if not as quickly as I'd like ) is closer than the more pessimistic end of the medical views...

Might have to re-invent myself as a batsman. Actually , given our side's recent scores , that might not be too hard Smile

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 16 Jan 2023, 11:43 am

alfie wrote:Not great news for me this morning as the results of my U/S show a full tear of the Supraspinatus tendon which effectively means I won't be bowling again this season... Just have to hope it will heal with rest and physio or else I'd be having to contemplate surgery some way down the track - and even that not totally assured to fix it perfectly.
Damn. Had been more optimistic as it has clearly been improving a lot : just have to hope my own gut feeling (that it will heal ; if not as quickly as I'd like ) is closer than the more pessimistic end of the medical views...

Might have to re-invent myself as a batsman. Actually , given our side's recent scores , that might not be too hard Smile  

Sorry to hear this Alfie - it's either a batsman or a specialist scorer role...!! Very Happy
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 16 Jan 2023, 2:39 pm

alfie wrote:Not great news for me this morning as the results of my U/S show a full tear of the Supraspinatus tendon which effectively means I won't be bowling again this season... Just have to hope it will heal with rest and physio or else I'd be having to contemplate surgery some way down the track - and even that not totally assured to fix it perfectly.

Sorry to hear this Alfie - it's either a batsman or a specialist scorer role...!! Very Happy

Or even an umpire! Shocked

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu 19 Jan 2023, 7:52 am

Thanks for good wishes , chaps. Not going to give up just yet : reading up on the injury I see there is some chance of working around the problem in time (if I'm lucky) and having accepted I won't be bowling again this season I am looking to explore the sort of non-surgical treatment that may get me back next year.
I once used to quite enjoy umpiring ; but these days my hearing just isn't good enough. So probably wouldn't want to inflict myself on anyone ! Will be batting at worst...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 18 Feb 2023, 1:32 pm

Have to say tonight I am feeling on top of the world after actually not only getting back on the field but bowling a modest four over spell - quite well in fact though no wickets - and apparently without damage. My osteopath has done wonders in the last few weeks and all the work with the weights and stretchy bands is paying off... I'm delighted to be back in action ahead of expectations and can look forward to next year now (only one game left this season). Might have to be a bit careful but I'm not dead yet !

Downside is we lost heavily but considering we only had nine players not unexpected. Just happy to be playing again ...and another not out with the bat Smile

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 26 Feb 2023, 7:42 am

Ah well another season done and dusted...

We finished with a good win : my own modest contribution being four nice and tight if wicketless overs and the completion of a "rebound" catch at slip - playing Geoff Miller to my teammate's Chris Tavare , for older readers Smile

Honestly though : after five or six weeks ago thinking my cricketing days were done , the eight overs I have managed over the last couple of weeks (along with some light net practice) though only yielding something like 0/30 , have given me as much joy as past hat tricks ! There seems to be no further damage from them and I can now look at a full off-season of rest and strengthening the muscles and tendons involved before getting back out for next season...I feel blessed.

Osteopath will be keeping me busy with exercises though ; and I should probably abandon any hopes of getting back to 80 mph - 80 kph might be closer Smile

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 26 Feb 2023, 10:35 am

alfie wrote:Ah well another season done and dusted...

We finished with a good win : my own modest contribution being four nice and tight if wicketless overs and the completion of a "rebound" catch at slip - playing Geoff Miller to my teammate's Chris Tavare , for older readers Smile

Honestly though : after five or six weeks ago thinking my cricketing days were done , the eight overs I have managed over the last couple of weeks (along with some light net practice) though only yielding something like 0/30 , have given me as much joy as past hat tricks ! There seems to be no further damage from them and I can now look at a full off-season of rest and strengthening the muscles and tendons involved before getting back out for next season...I feel blessed.

Osteopath will be keeping me busy with exercises though ; and I should probably abandon any hopes of getting back to 80 mph - 80 kph might be closer Smile

That's a good honest comeback spell, Alfie. Take a blow now and come back roaring!  thumbsup

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next