The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The "That Really Grinds My Gears" Thread

+64
Duty281
1GrumpyGolfer
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
SharkSoul
Mike Power
kingraf
VDT
theundisputedY2D2
BlueCoverman
rodders
FIFA Diva
rIck_dAgless
JubbaIsle
JPX
MIG
kittenv2
Diggers
Bathman_in_London
Breadvan
TRUSSMAN66
Dr Gregory House MD
VTR
Galted
Lumbering_Jack
westisbest
Fists of Fury
two_tone
Mr Bounce
Nakatomi Plaza
Corporalhumblebucket
trottb
Beer
Dave.
Scott is Back
JuliusHMarx
The Boss
Crimey
dummy_half
ShahenshahG
GSC
GG
Mike Selig
Ent
Liam
TopHat24/7
littleswannygirl
Il Gialloblu
as1079
B91212
alfie
Adam D
Mat
Cari
liverbnz
President Trump
Hero
eirebilly
Kenny
Good Golly I'm Olly
Derbyblue
Biltong
Enforcer
Luckless Pedestrian
Pal Joey
68 posters

Page 13 of 22 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 17 ... 22  Next

Go down

The "That Really Grinds My Gears" Thread - Page 13 Empty The "That Really Grinds My Gears" Thread

Post by Pal Joey Mon 23 Apr - 10:18

First topic message reminder :

by Big Daddy Bee on Sat Jan 29 2011, 05:39
So then people what really annoys you.

No matter how big or trivial it is, this is the thread to vent your anger and annoyance.

Last thread: https://www.606v2.com/t199p950-the-that-really-grinds-my-gears-thread

Last edited by Linebreaker on Sat 5 Oct - 20:55; edited 1 time in total

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

The "That Really Grinds My Gears" Thread - Page 13 Empty Re: The "That Really Grinds My Gears" Thread

Post by eirebilly Sun 6 Jan - 16:43

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:
Hero wrote:What's annoying me at present is how shops are ever so keen to stick up their decorations and Christmas paraphenalia as soon as possible but the very moment Christmas Day has passed (and we actually enter the 12 days of Christmas) then it's all whipped down and any hint of festivity is removed.

Hero - in one of my seriously grumpy moments I would not only agree but say that this was indicative of a society that can't wait and is easily bored....

Hell, the easter eggs are out here already!!!!
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

The "That Really Grinds My Gears" Thread - Page 13 Empty Re: The "That Really Grinds My Gears" Thread

Post by Pal Joey Mon 7 Jan - 9:03

Can you eat them outdoors Billy... or will the cops arrest you for that type of thing...? Smile

and don't you ever call me "Hell" again... you cheeky boogger!

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Tue 8 Jan - 5:39

Hey, i am a respectable Bog Trotter i will have you know Wink

Just amazing that they are already busy with Easter Shocked
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Tue 8 Jan - 8:34

I saw a dropped one on the shop floor today. Quite early for that to happen.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Tue 8 Jan - 14:09

Over reaction to none important events , when serious things are happening around the world
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 8 Jan - 14:10

Any event in particular, Kenny?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Tue 8 Jan - 14:12

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:Any event in particular, Kenny?

The Hand Ball by Suarez .

Jesus you'd think he had gone on killing spree

And no defending it at all , but no-one died
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Tue 8 Jan - 14:22

Disagree massively Kenny, 1281 comments so far on the BBC article about the Suarez handball suggest that it affects all of our lives in so many ways.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Tue 8 Jan - 14:28

Galted wrote:Disagree massively Kenny, 1281 comments so far on the BBC article about the Suarez handball suggest that it affects all of our lives in so many ways.

Being a Liverpool fan obviously the decision to allow the goal affects me in that we are in the next round of the cup .

But EVERY team has decisions go for them and against them , we were on the wrong end of a lot of bad decisions and yes you moan about it but just get on with life . I'm sure Howard Webb will even up the bad decisions on sunday and allow a dubious goal for Man Utd Wink
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Tue 8 Jan - 14:32

Very Happy

Was just kidding, don't really disagree massively. I'd quite like to be given a flamethrower & a chainsaw & licence to settle any football controversies (or any other sporting controversies for that matter) however I see fit.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Tue 8 Jan - 14:36

Galted wrote: Very Happy

Was just kidding, don't really disagree massively. I'd quite like to be given a flamethrower & a chainsaw & licence to settle any football controversies (or any other sporting controversies for that matter) however I see fit.

I love all sport and get quite annoyed with lots of decisions in games , but at the end of the day thats all they are ...games . Guess Suarez just gets peoples backs up ( he does have a face you would like to slap ) and so everything gets blown out of proportion .

your solution sounds like a good answer
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 8 Jan - 14:52

I guarantee that none of the people sounding off about what he did would be complaining if it had been one of their strikers and it had won their club a match.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Tue 8 Jan - 14:59

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:I guarantee that none of the people sounding off about what he did would be complaining if it had been one of their strikers and it had won their club a match.

True, I never complained when Ashley Young was sticking his foot out looking for fouls playing for Villa but as soon as he did it for United I was wishing plagues on him.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Tue 8 Jan - 15:11

Galted wrote:
Luckless Pedestrian wrote:I guarantee that none of the people sounding off about what he did would be complaining if it had been one of their strikers and it had won their club a match.

True, I never complained when Ashley Young was sticking his foot out looking for fouls playing for Villa but as soon as he did it for United I was wishing plagues on him.

True i loved ( in a manly way ) Michael Owen when he played for Liverpool ....even naming my son after him ..........yet when he left then went to Man Utd i has hoping he was injured every week...( Micheal Owen not my son that is )
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 8 Jan - 15:21

Andy Townsend's the worst: he complains about foreigners diving but when Steven Gerrard or whoever leaves a trailing leg to win a free kick, suddenly it's just clever play.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Tue 8 Jan - 18:53

Townsend is a Mr Winklechops I agree.

People who name children after celebs/sports stars, sorry Kenny.

Celebrity names for kids. Apple, Harper7. What is that about.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Tue 8 Jan - 19:39

Lumbering_Jack wrote:Townsend is a Mr Winklechops I agree.

People who name children after celebs/sports stars, sorry Kenny.

Celebrity names for kids. Apple, Harper7. What is that about.

That's alright i didn't call him Michael Owen , i christened him Owen Kenneth Smile after my Dad
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 9 Jan - 7:58

I saw a programme about celebrity names a few years ago. The two I remember were this couple who were stars in the States but not over here, who had a child called Reign Beau (yes, really) and Jermaine Jackson, who named his son Jermajesty.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Wed 9 Jan - 8:53

Frost... Makes morning unpleasant when you have to drive.

Radio stations. I am using my car this week instead of a bike and I forgot just how much I hate radio shows. I flick between 3 stations, Radio1 and two locals ones. In my 25 minute drive between them they played one song. soloist.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 9 Jan - 10:21

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:I saw a programme about celebrity names a few years ago. The two I remember were this couple who were stars in the States but not over here, who had a child called Reign Beau (yes, really) and Jermaine Jackson, who named his son Jermajesty.

That's nothing:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7522952.stm

Talula Does the Hula from Hawaii......

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 9 Jan - 10:29

Some of the names they let through are shockers, never mind the ones they blocked! Shocked

I know from a previous job that there was child in Newport in the early 2000s called Blade Watkins and another called Marco Van Basten Johansen.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Wed 9 Jan - 15:29

I worked with a guy whos last name is Walker and he called his son Luke Sky ! funny thing was he hadn't seen Star Wars but had heard the name and just liked it .
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Thu 10 Jan - 12:15

What really grinds my gears?

Windows 8 on my new laptop.

The old laptop died a couple of weeks before Christmas (bad, as it meant I had to shop the old fashioned way rather than buying everything off Amazon) and we waited until last week before buying a replacement.

The problem is that we wanted an 'off the shelf' machine because we have stuff to organise, which meant that we were pretty much limited to something with Windows 8 on it. I'd heard bad things, but thought this was just the sort of griping that occurs every time a new MS operating system is introduced - NOT THIS TIME.

It really is the most absurd, non-intuitive and frustrating OS I've ever used (and I've used a PC pretty much every day for 20 years), and just feels like a half-finished product - what is the point of it using two different GUIs?. I'm yet to find one thing that it does better, quicker or more intuitively than XP or Windows 7. Oh, and don't get me started on the embedded Mail program... furious mad steam thumbsdown

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu 10 Jan - 12:57

Cold callers! steam

I've been sat here for the last two days trying to get through coursework for uni, and the sheer amount of cold callers distracting me is painful. The worst ones are the ones that are ringing 20 numbers at once, so when you pick up your phone, it just hangs up immediately as somebody picked up earlier.

At first, I just did weird things down the phone, like just making weird noises to put them off, but I've resorted to just swearing down the phone because I seriously can't stand it.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 10 Jan - 13:16

My old home phone number was ridiculously common sounding (basically like saying 8888 9999) and it was only when I'd work from home that I'd realise how many infuriating cold calls I got!!

How's Uni going then Crimey? What are you studying and where?

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu 10 Jan - 13:20

TopHat24/7 wrote:My old home phone number was ridiculously common sounding (basically like saying 8888 9999) and it was only when I'd work from home that I'd realise how many infuriating cold calls I got!!

How's Uni going then Crimey? What are you studying and where?

Law at Lancaster, it's going alright, only done my first term so this is the first piece of actual written work I've had to do and it's come as a bit of a shock to the system. Realised can't leave essays as late as this again, I should have started well before Christmas to be honest.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 10 Jan - 13:37

Lol does your first year count towards your degree classification? Only my second and third years counted, which was a god-send!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu 10 Jan - 13:40

TopHat24/7 wrote:Lol does your first year count towards your degree classification? Only my second and third years counted, which was a god-send!

It doesn't count, but law firms can still see my results and as law is ridiculously competitive I really need to get at least a 2:1, if not a first in my first year to give me an edge.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu 10 Jan - 13:42

dummy_half wrote:What really grinds my gears?

Windows 8 on my new laptop.

The old laptop died a couple of weeks before Christmas (bad, as it meant I had to shop the old fashioned way rather than buying everything off Amazon) and we waited until last week before buying a replacement.

The problem is that we wanted an 'off the shelf' machine because we have stuff to organise, which meant that we were pretty much limited to something with Windows 8 on it. I'd heard bad things, but thought this was just the sort of griping that occurs every time a new MS operating system is introduced - NOT THIS TIME.

It really is the most absurd, non-intuitive and frustrating OS I've ever used (and I've used a PC pretty much every day for 20 years), and just feels like a half-finished product - what is the point of it using two different GUIs?. I'm yet to find one thing that it does better, quicker or more intuitively than XP or Windows 7. Oh, and don't get me started on the embedded Mail program... furious mad steam thumbsdown

I bought my inlaws a PC at Xmas with Windows 8 on it, been debating whether to just throw a copt of 7 Pro on it. I'd decided to leave it but you are swaying me back again now.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 10 Jan - 14:06

My friend has also just bought a laptop with W8 on it and thoroughly hates it. She's a smart cookie and perfectly IT literate so I take her word for it when she says it's poopie!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu 10 Jan - 14:10

From what I can see its basically built for touchscreen use, despite the fact that hardly anyone will use with that in mind. 7 to be fair was a pretty decent OS, as was XP really.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Sun 20 Jan - 17:38

People who clear their drives and pile the snow up on the road next to it !
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 20 Jan - 18:04

feckin' hate the snow!

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Mon 21 Jan - 9:21

TopHat24/7 wrote:My friend has also just bought a laptop with W8 on it and thoroughly hates it. She's a smart cookie and perfectly IT literate so I take her word for it when she says it's poopie!

TH
I've been using PCs almost every day for 20 years (hell, I vaguely remember Windows 3.1), including a couple of years as basically an IT technician. She's absolutely spot on - it's Microsoft's biggest screw up ever.

Diggers wrote:From what I can see its basically built for touchscreen use, despite the fact that hardly anyone will use with that in mind. 7 to be fair was a pretty decent OS, as was XP really.

In a way it wouldn't be so bad if they'd just gone entirely down the route of making it like the touch-screen products, with a tiles only interface. OK, would have been very different looking from the previous OS's , but probably not much larger a change (in terms of the user environment) than there was between Win 3.1 and Win 95. The stupidity is how some things only operate through the tiles interface and some (file management for one) only through the more conventional desktop interface, and also how it jumps between the two.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Mon 21 Jan - 16:50

I tell you what's been annoying me with all this snow. The stupid people on Facebook who can't seem to understand simple updates on a bus company page. It's really easy, the company lists all the route numbers and alongside it says whether or not that bus is running normally or not and it's updated every couple of hours. Every number is listed in chronological order. For instance, if you're looking to use bus number 17 it'll be there in between 16 and 18. So what do people reply to the post with? "Is the 17 bus running?" "Will there be a 17 bus?" etc...etc. picard And it's not just one or two people either!

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 21 Jan - 17:05

Schools closing for snow!!

My old secondary is closed today despite being located on a dual carriageway 5 minutes off the motorway - so access is absolutely fine!

My mate walked past 3 schools this morning on his way to the train station to get TO WORK and all 3 were closed. It really is absurd.

The other argument put forward is 'safety', the worry being kids might slip and hurt themselves. Right, 1) They're kids, that's what they do; 2) Schools have care-takers that can grit all walkways; 3) If the kids don't go to school, they don't stay at home wrapped in cotton wool, they go out and play in the snow putting themselves in just as much danger as they would be at school!!

14 years of school and I never got a 'snow day', bloody ridiculous these days!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Mon 21 Jan - 17:18

TopHat

Certainly can't see a legitimate reason for a school in London being closed today - transport isn't that bad, and neither the pupils nor teachers live in remote locations where they can't get to the school.

You make the vald point that kids won't be sitting indoors keeping warm, but will be out and about sledging or chucking snowballs at each other. Anyway, kids (mostly) bounce - we were talking about this yesterday and came to the conclusion that up to the age of about 15 falling over doesn't hurt (often). Now of course I don't bounce and things break if I fall down... Doh

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 21 Jan - 17:48

Those examples are all in North Herts actually dummy.

Check this website out (which my friend who's a teacher posted on facebook last night), and see how many are closed:

http://www.imodus.com/summary.aspx?company=99

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon 21 Jan - 20:17

If a child hurts themselves while playing at home, the school can't be held responsible for it, but if a child hurts themselves at school they can.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 22 Jan - 7:55

That can't be the reason, surely?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Tue 22 Jan - 8:18

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:That can't be the reason, surely?

Well yeah, what other reason would there be? The school just won't bother taking the risk.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 22 Jan - 8:23

That's rubbish, but logical. I blame injurylawyers4you.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Tue 22 Jan - 9:26

TopHat24/7 wrote:Those examples are all in North Herts actually dummy.

Check this website out (which my friend who's a teacher posted on facebook last night), and see how many are closed:

Where abouts exactly? (you said near the motorway, so Stevenage or Harpenden?) Considering I drove across most of Hertfordshire yesterday (live near Stortford, work in Hemel Dumpstead), I can certainly prove the transport wasn't an issue.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 22 Jan - 9:27

Crimey wrote:If a child hurts themselves while playing at home, the school can't be held responsible for it, but if a child hurts themselves at school they can.

That's pretty much it, in a nutshell.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 22 Jan - 9:29

dummy_half wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:Those examples are all in North Herts actually dummy.

Where abouts exactly? (you said near the motorway, so Stevenage or Harpenden?) Considering I drove across most of Hertfordshire yesterday (live near Stortford, work in Hemel Dumpstead), I can certainly prove the transport wasn't an issue.

Only noticed after posting that that website updates itself so if you're checking it now you'll notice most are open. You'll just have to take my word for it that Sunday evening/Monday morning almost every school listed was closed.

And yes, I was referring to Stevenage, well deduced! Smile

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Tue 22 Jan - 17:20

People who try and lie to cover up their own feck up. Scum.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Tue 22 Jan - 18:24

Even worse than the schools closing was that the school where my two sons go had a number of parents taking their children out midway through the morning because they thought more snow may happen later in the day and the roads might be bad.
And then the very same parents adding up photos of all of them sledging instead.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 22 Jan - 23:08

dummy_half wrote: (live near Stortford, work in Hemel Dumpstead)
Laugh

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 23 Jan - 8:18

It annoys me when the BBC shows the same trailers at every opportunity. Even if I want to watch a programme to begin with, if I see the trailer every morning at the same time, it turns me against the programme.

Also, Naga Munchetty.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Wed 23 Jan - 14:53

BT. Unethical, mis-selling Muppet!

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 22 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 17 ... 22  Next