The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 606v2 Cricket Hall of Fame - Part 3

+14
skyeman
ShankyCricket
Mad for Chelsea
Gregers
Shelsey93
Mike Selig
Corporalhumblebucket
ShahenshahG
Fists of Fury
guildfordbat
alfie
dummy_half
kwinigolfer
Hoggy_Bear
18 posters

Page 4 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 20  Next

Go down

The 606v2 Cricket Hall of Fame - Part 3 - Page 4 Empty The 606v2 Cricket Hall of Fame - Part 3

Post by Hoggy_Bear Wed 28 Mar 2012, 12:23 am

First topic message reminder :

Well obviously, while Headley's achievements statistically outweighed those of Constantine, I do think that Constantine, from what I have read, had a massive impact, especially in England. His whole philosophy was to entertain because, by playing entertaining cricket, the WIndies were more likely to draw crowds and guarantee that they would be invited back. Again, according to Swanton "he indeed personified West Indian cricket from the first faltering entry in the Test arena in 1928 until the post-war emergence of the trinity of Worrell, Weekes and Walcott."

Hoggy_Bear

Back to top Go down

The 606v2 Cricket Hall of Fame - Part 3 - Page 4 Empty Re: The 606v2 Cricket Hall of Fame - Part 3

Post by Guest Sun 17 Jun 2012, 6:01 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:Trying to make the case for Jayasuriya seems to have defeated many a 606v2 poster.... Very Happy

my case will go up, but i have been very busy recently so havent had time to put it up yet.

Back to top Go down

The 606v2 Cricket Hall of Fame - Part 3 - Page 4 Empty Re: The 606v2 Cricket Hall of Fame - Part 3

Post by guildfordbat Thu 23 Aug 2012, 6:48 pm

A few months ago and well before this excellent thread fell into the black hole of Jayasuriya, we discussed the case for Javed Miandad.

Whilst he was selected in the end, a fair bit of debate revolved around Javed's general conduct on the pitch. If only to show that the debate was merited, I'll supply a quote I recently came across in David Lloyd's entertaining book The World According to Bumble: Start the Car -

''Some players have no trouble getting on opponents' wicks. Pakistan's Javed Miandad was about as popular as syphilis during his time on the county circuit and so didn't need to do much to pick a fight with even the most placid opponent.''

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Thu 23 Aug 2012, 7:17 pm

guildfordbat wrote:A few months ago and well before this excellent thread fell into the black hole of Jayasuriya, we discussed the case for Javed Miandad.

Whilst he was selected in the end, a fair bit of debate revolved around Javed's general conduct on the pitch. If only to show that the debate was merited, I'll supply a quote I recently came across in David Lloyd's entertaining book The World According to Bumble: Start the Car -

''Some players have no trouble getting on opponents' wicks. Pakistan's Javed Miandad was about as popular as syphilis during his time on the county circuit and so didn't need to do much to pick a fight with even the most placid opponent.''

Bumble never did mince his words Very Happy Think {but not 100%} that i did not vote on this one, but after recent events, i think that the character of a person may count as a big negative in the later thoughts of people in deciding whether or not they are classed as greats of the game, when they are on the peripheral. ie Boycott. Love him or hate him.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 23 Aug 2012, 7:31 pm

skyeman wrote:

Bumble never did mince his words Very Happy Think {but not 100%} that i did not vote on this one, but after recent events, i think that the character of a person may count as a big negative in the later thoughts of people in deciding whether or not they are classed as greats of the game, when they are on the peripheral. ie Boycott. Love him or hate him.

Hi Skye - suspect you were off on your diversity course when we voted on Javed. Very Happy

I voted against Boycott very early on due to - what I think Hoggy called - his ''innate selfishness''. I've mentioned in the past that I could never vote in favour of Pietersen due to character flaws.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Thu 23 Aug 2012, 7:41 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
skyeman wrote:

Hi Skye - suspect you were off on your diversity course when we voted on Javed. Very Happy

I voted against Boycott very early on due to - what I think Hoggy called - his ''innate selfishness''. I've mentioned in the past that I could never vote in favour of Pietersen due to character flaws.

Hi Gb, can i just ask please which way you voted on Miandad.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 23 Aug 2012, 7:51 pm

skyeman wrote:

Hi Gb, can i just ask please which way you voted on Miandad.

I'm pretty sure I voted YES but only after very considerable and excellent persuasion from Hoggy.

It was actually difficult to find significant examples of Javed's bad conduct which probably swung the vote in his favour. Bumble appears to suggest that there was an ongoing unpleasantness about him which was my starting point.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu 23 Aug 2012, 9:49 pm

"His relationships with other players were difficult; team-mates and opponents alike found him hard to get along with."

Presumably if the cricketer is good enough on the field - ie not a marginal case for entry to HoF - the character flaws can be overlooked. (The quote refers to Wally Hammond).

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Thu 23 Aug 2012, 10:17 pm

By the way, I think this would be a good opportunity to state my current intentions for the thread going forward:

I think that it works best as a winter thread when we all have time to research, consider and add our thoughts and when there isn't much to chat about on here. Therefore, I suggest that we re-visit the current unvoted on candidates from October.

Whilst Jayasuriya may have been the ultimate cause of the en-passe few of the other candidates in this group really inspired much discussion either. But perhaps they will at a better time.

Some of the discussions, particularly on the likes of Larwood and Underwood offered superb debate. Hopefully we can replicate that in future.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Thu 23 Aug 2012, 10:41 pm

I echo what Shelsey has said. I do think this is better as a winter thread; I know I'm probably the most to blame for not coming up with anything on Jayasuriya, but can only repeat what I said about a month ago: I am simply too busy with my own cricket program, and of course there is so much cricket to discuss anyway.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Thu 23 Aug 2012, 10:59 pm

Agree with Mike and Shelsey. thumbsup

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Fri 24 Aug 2012, 12:40 pm

Agreed.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 24 Aug 2012, 2:21 pm

Was just the other day wondering if this project was extinct or dormant ...pleased to see signs of life.
Agreed it is best left to winter - or to be more accurate , a period when there isn't quite so much cricket going on.

In the meantime poor old Jayasuriya will have to remain in suspense . Sort of the Schrodinger's Cat of Cricket Smile

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 03 Oct 2012, 4:34 pm

in autumn now, nearly winter Sad

maybe time to re-open the thread and debate Smile???

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Wed 03 Oct 2012, 5:06 pm

I was thinking Monday, after the World T20 finishes and when there isn't much on for a while Very Happy

I'll write up a summary post of where we're up to so far at the weekend hopefully.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

The 606v2 Cricket Hall of Fame - Part 3 - Page 4 Empty 606 v2 Cricket Hall of Fame - Resume and introduction to Season Two

Post by Shelsey93 Sat 06 Oct 2012, 6:41 pm

After the fantastic success of last winter's deliberations the Hall of Fame thread will be starting up for its second season very shortly. Both new and returning posters are encouraged to contribute, and so, to make it easier for new posters (or those that didn't contribute last year) to join in I'll run down what happened last year and how the process works.

I'd also like to point out that although many posters (myself included) are too young to know much about most of the candidates, that is no reason not to post! Research and the opinions of older posters are perfectly sufficient to form an opinion, and one of the best things about the thread is the knowledge you gain about the candidates that you probably didn't know much about before.

----

The basic premise was explained by the founding chairman, Fists of Fury, in the opening post of last year's thread:

Fists of Fury wrote:As you know, there is a Hall of Fame already set up by the ICC, though looking through it there are some names in that list which are debateable as to whether they really belong in such company. That, then, is up to us to decide. Let's make our Hall of Fame elitist in every way, ensuring that only the most worthy of candidates are elected.

In order for a candidate to gain election to the Hall, they will need a yes vote of 75% or more... Every candidate must be retired from the sport, and no currently active players will be considered.

In addition, any candidate getting between 50% and 75% was put on a pile to be reconsidered at a later date when we could possibly hear from some more contributors, review our evidence and vote in the knowledge of any precedents that had previously been set.

Initially 30 past players were voted straight into the Hall of Fame, on the grounds that they had incontestable cases. These were:

Wasim Akram, Curtly Ambrose, SF Barnes, Richie Benaud, Allan Border, Sir Don Bradman, Sir Ian Botham, Kapil Dev, Andy Flower, Sunil Gavaskar, Adam Gilchrist, WG Grace, Sir Richard Hadlee, Sir Jack Hobbs, Michael Holding, Imran Khan, Jim Laker, Brian Lara, Dennis Lillee, Clive Lloyd, Malcolm Marshall, Glenn McGrath, Keith Miller, Muttiah Muralitharan, Bill O'Reilly, Sir Viv Richards, Sir Garfield Sobers, Victor Trumper, Shane Warne and Sir Frank Worrell

We then considered the remaining members of the Hall of Fame and elected the following:

Ken Barrington, Sir Alec Bedser, Denis Compton, Alan Davidson, Joel Garner, Clarrie Grimmett, Wally Hammond, George Headley, Sir Len Hutton, Alan Knott, Ray Lindwall, Peter May, Javed Miandad, Hanif Mohammad, Graeme Pollock, Wilfred Rhodes, Barry Richards, Andy Roberts, Fred Spofforth, Brian Statham, Herbert Sutcliffe, Fred Trueman, Derek Underwood, Sir Clyde Walcott, Sir Everton Weekes, Courtney Walsh, Steve Waugh

At the same time Greg Chappell, Belinda Clark, Lance Gibbs, Gordon Greenidge, Neil Harvey, Rohan Kanhai and Harold Larwood entered the re-consideration list. Hopefully we'll look at them again before April.

After a further period of consideration we agreed on a list of names to consider going forward. From the first set of 5 we elected Les Ames, John Arlott, Basil d'Oliveira and Rahul Dravid. The second group of 5 was being considered when things went a bit pear-shaped. Erm

Based on our deliberations I think its pretty clear that George Lohmann would have got in, probably with 100% of the vote. Hence, I'm going to make the executive decision to induct him as the 62nd member of our Hall of Fame.

Debate on the others - Clem Hill, Sanath Jayasuriya, Stan McCabe and Bill Ponsford - was at a much earlier stage. It might be useful to read through the previous couple of pages for some good contributions on the Australians. Votes cast on them previously are null and void (as the process was never completed, and Jayasuriya hardly discussed at all). Those 4 will be 4 of the first 5 candidates up for discussion over the next two weeks starting from Monday.

In forthcoming weeks we'll also consider KS Ranjitsinhji, Jonty Rhodes, Shaun Pollock, Maurice Tate, Jeff Thomson, Fred Titmus, Bob Woolmer and Bob Willis.

---

To add an extra dimension to debate I'd like to suggest a new idea. Alongside the four candidates from either the list above, or the list of those that got between 50 and 75%, I am proposing that the fifth candidate in each set is specifically nominated by a poster who would lead the case for that candidate. I'd suggest that these candidates should be less obvious candidates who could come from left-field.

If we agree on this (and please say if you have a better idea) then I can allocate nominees on a first-come, first-served basis.

NB: Corporal was very keen for Patsy Hendren to be considered. If corporal's not too busy then he can be the first 'wild-card' candidate? Very Happy

----

I hope that's covered everything... if not, feel free to ask questions.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 06 Oct 2012, 6:47 pm

permission to start discussion on this thread again?

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Sat 06 Oct 2012, 6:54 pm

Fine summary Shelsey.

I'd only emphasise that the main purposes of this thread (if it can be put that way) are to educate and to debate.

It is meant to be quite exclusive, so if you feel someone deserves admission to the HoF it is expected you explain why; similarly if you don't, then you should also say: reasons can vary from "made an unpardonable mistake against the spirit of the game" (G. Chappel), "good to very good at everything, but not great" (I. Chappell), to whatever you feel like.

However it is expected that you offer a reason. Simply saying "yes" or "no" is frowned upon and may lead the Corporal to send his troops over.

Similarly it's usual to spend some time reading and researching claims and counter-claims before coming to a decision, particularly on players we may not know all that well. There should be no rush to vote.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Sat 06 Oct 2012, 7:13 pm

Mike Selig wrote:Fine summary Shelsey.

I'd only emphasise that the main purposes of this thread (if it can be put that way) are to educate and to debate.

It is meant to be quite exclusive, so if you feel someone deserves admission to the HoF it is expected you explain why; similarly if you don't, then you should also say: reasons can vary from "made an unpardonable mistake against the spirit of the game" (G. Chappel), "good to very good at everything, but not great" (I. Chappell), to whatever you feel like.

However it is expected that you offer a reason. Simply saying "yes" or "no" is frowned upon and may lead the Corporal to send his troops over.

Similarly it's usual to spend some time reading and researching claims and counter-claims before coming to a decision, particularly on players we may not know all that well. There should be no rush to vote.

Indeed. I wouldn't want people to feel that they need to put hours of work in to contribute, but at the very least somebody should read other people's contributions before coming to a decision. Simply voting Yes or No as soon as the candidates are listed is pointless. Even for candidates who might seem obvious its always good to add some flesh to the bone.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 06 Oct 2012, 8:05 pm

All sounds fine. It'll be good to get this show back on the road, hear from some old cyber friends and make new ones.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Sat 06 Oct 2012, 9:16 pm

Looking forward to this. Had to stop halfway last season as I was banned Wink but should be fun Very Happy

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 06 Oct 2012, 9:28 pm

Shanky - it'll be good to have you back on board. I feared you would stay away in protest at Andy Flower being an inaugural member. Very Happy

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Sun 07 Oct 2012, 8:12 pm

OK. Lets get this show on the road.

The four candidates carried forward from before the break are:

Clem Hill
Sanath Jayasuriya
Stan McCabe
Bill Ponsford

I remembered that the corporal is away, so if anybody has a wild-card candidate that they'd like to propose for the next two weeks then please go ahead - first come, first served Smile

Voting deadline is Sunday 21st October at 9am

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Sun 07 Oct 2012, 8:18 pm

Before our break, Hoggy_Bear offered some highly useful cases for the three Australians up for consideration. I thought I'd repost them below

Hoggy_Bear wrote:Clem Hill

“Sir Clement of the flashing blade,
the pride and joy of Adelaide”

Though somewhat overshadowed by Victor Trumper, Clem Hill was a hugely consistent batsman who scored more runs in tests, at a better average, than his more famous contemporary. A childhood prodigy (he scored 360, then the highest score ever made in Australia, during a school match when he was 16), Hill was a gritty left-hander with a somewhat awkward looking, stooped stance. He was, however, a superb player of fast bowling able to pull “with surprising certainty”, according to Arlott, “even from outside the off-stump” and whose “Brilliant square and late cutting” made him, according to Wisden “delightful to watch”. In addition “in defence his style claimed admiration while his patience was unlimited”. Such was his skill against pace that it is reported Tom Richardson, Surrey and England fast-bowler, once remarked to him, “You make me feel I took up fast bowling for your benefit.”
At the time of his international retirement he was the leading run scorer in test cricket with 3,412 runs at 39.21, a record he held for twelve years until he was overtaken by Jack Hobbs. He was also the first man to score 1,000 test runs in a calendar year, a feat which was not equalled for 45 years, and he was the only Australian to score 17,000+ first class runs before the introduction of covered wickets.
Among his notable test innings were his 188 against England in Melbourne in 1898 (when he was still less than 21 years old) which helped lift Australia from 58/6 to a position from which they won the match, his 135 in partnership with Trumper (who made the same score coming in at 6), at Lord’s in 1899 and his 160 at Adelaide in 1908. This last innings was scored in between bouts of throwing up on the wicket after he’d been in bed with gastric flu for three days and England were well on their way to victory. Afterwards dubbed “Clem ‘Ill” by the press, he batted for 5 hours 19 minutes, pulling Australia from the mire of 180 for 7 with a record eighth wicket partnership of 243 (still the Australian record) with Queensland’s Roger Hartigan. England were beaten by 245 runs.
Hill also had scores of 96, 99, 98 and 97 (the last three in consecutive innings) against England, as well as his 4 hundreds. He is, as far as I’m aware, the only Australian batsman to be dismissed twice in Tests for the traditional Australian unlucky score of 87.
As well as being a great batsman, Hill was also an extremely good fielder who once, during a match at Leeds during the 1902 tour of England, threw a ball from near the boundary which knocked down the stumps at one end and rebounded to hit the stumps at the other. During the same tour at Old Trafford, Hill made a catch that Wisden claimed "will never be forgotten by [those present]". A Dick Lilley hit to square leg looked likely to clear the boundary. Hill himself said he raced 25 yards (23 m) for it with a view simply to save a boundary. In the event, he ran round 'close to the boundary' from his position at long on, aided by the wind seemingly holding up the ball to take the catch low down in front of the pavilion in his outstretched hands; one that Wisden said "few fieldsmen would have thought worth attempting".
As a personality Hill was regarded as honest and straightforward, traits which made him popular with his fellow players, but which may have contributed to his eventual retirement from test cricket which followed a stand-up brawl with one of his fellow selectors and his refusal, along with five others, to tour England in 1912. He is, however, still highly regarded in Australia, as is shown by the fact that he was elected to the Australian HoF in 2005, and that, in 2003, the South Australian Cricket Association named the new southern grandstand at the Adelaide Oval the "Clem Hill Stand" in recognition of his contribution to South Australian cricket.
During the latter part of the 19th and early part of the 20th century, Clem Hill was the most successful and consistent batsman in the world. While others, like his fellow Aussie Trumper, may have been more stylish or spectacular, if you wanted someone to bat for your life, Hill, the early 20th century’s answer to Allan Border, would, in all likelihood, have been your man.

Stan McCabe

A perusal of Stan McCabe’s stats would show anyone that he was a very fine player. Averaging 48 in tests puts him up there, in statistical terms, with the likes of Harvey, Kanhai, May and Mohammad but, as he batted in a period dominated by batting giants such as Bradman, Hammond and Headley, it might be argued that his figures were not quite up to scratch. Like a number of other players already included in our HoF, however, with Stan McCabe stats are not everything.
Len Hutton said of him that he “Had qualities that Bradman hadn’t got” and that “It would be harder to think of a greater Australian batsman". According to John Arlott, McCabe “Had nearly all the virtues that could reasonably be asked of a batsman. … he was technically sound, brave, enterprising, entertaining, brilliant in stroke play, yet a shrewd judge of batting risks; a splendid team man, who rose to the major challenge; a pleasing personality; a capable all-round field and, to cap it all, was good enough to open the bowling for his country.”
As Arlott’s comments suggest, McCabe should not be judged solely on how many runs he got, but on how he got them and when he got them. As a batsman he was a master stylist. Fellow state and Australian batsman Bill Brown described McCabe as the "finest strokeplayer I ever saw", further adding "When Stan was in command, he was so magnificent to watch, and he left everyone, including Bradman, for dead. Certainly Bradman scored more runs, but Stan was the batsman you most wanted to be." Neville Cardus was also a fan, saying of him that "Genial, friendly, Stan was Australia’s most gallant and knightly batsman since Victor Trumper. In his brilliant strokeplay there was a certain courtliness. In his most aggressive innings, there was no brutality; his bat was never used as a bludgeon.”, while E. W. Swanton said that McCabe was from "the heroic mould" that his innings "like those of Hobbs, Macartney and Woolley were essentially qualitative" and that he "came as near as any player to one’s conception of the perfect cricketer".
Yet not only was he a scintillating batsman to watch, he was also someone who produced, more often than not, when he was most desperately needed to, a fact reflected in his three most famous innings. Innings which remain among the most famous in test match history.
The first of these innings took place at Sydney in 1932. Coming in after Larwood and Voce’s Bodyline had reduced Australia to 82/3, he conjured an innings of 187 not out, hooking and cutting the bowling all over the park. 25 fours, a s/r of 80 and a 10th wicket stand of 55 with Tim Wall of which Wall’s share was only 4, all achieved under intense mental and physical pressure, show how great an innings this was. Being a humble man, however, McCabe refused to read the next day's newspapers because they'd only contain "a lot of exaggerated praise that it wouldn't do me any good to read".
The second of his great innings came at Johannesburg in 1935. Chasing 399 to win, without Bradman and with Bill Brown already out, McCabe fashioned an innings of 189* on a spiteful 4th innings pitch. On the final day, having been advised by his captain to try and deal solely in boundaries as he was feeling unwell, McCabe added 130 to his overnight 59* while Jack Fingleton and Len Darling managed only 57 between them. Eventually, with storm clouds gathering and gloom descending, the South African captain appealed against the light in order to save his fielders from possible injury, such was the power of McCabe’s shots.
Perhaps the greatest of McCabe’s triumvirate was his 232 at Nottingham in 1938. On the start of the Monday of that test match Australia were 520 runs behind England’s 658/8 dec. with Fingleton, Brown and Bradman already out. McCabe was on 19* overnight. By the time Australia had reached 194/6 McCabe was easing into the 60s. At lunch Australia were 261/6, McCabe having scored 88 of the 120 runs made from the bat in the session. Immediately after lunch Australia were reduced to 263/7, with only McCabe and the bowlers left. O’Reilly made 9, McCormick 2. At the other end, in 47 minutes, McCabe scored 53. When Fleetwood-Smith came in at number 11, McCabe scored 72 out of the 77 runs they put on together IN 28 MINUTES.
In three and a quarter hours on 13 June 1938 seven Australians made 50 runs, Stan McCabe 213. Don Bradman said that he wished he could have played an innings like it. S.F. Barnes called it the best innings he ever saw, and added that he didn’t think even he’d have been able to keep McCabe quiet. What greater praise could you ask for?
Stan McCabe ticks all the boxes required for entry to our HoF IMO. He was a great batsman. A glorious strokeplayer hailed as a great by friend and foe alike. Yet also a man who was at his best when the chips were down and who played almost miraculous innings in such conditions not once, but a number of times. Add to that the fact that he was a good enough bowler to take Wally Hammond’s wicket 4 times in tests and you have a magnificent player.
Yet he was also a humble and popular man who, when once asked why he had never written his memoirs, replied “I don’t hate anyone enough”. Ray Robinson summed up his popularity by saying that "In McCabe the cricketer, you saw McCabe the man—urbane, sociable, unpretentious, straightforward, incapable of anything mean-spirited. In all the pre-war Test series he was the best liked by both his own team and his opponents."
Ladies and gentlemen I present to you Stanley Joseph McCabe a man who, to me, undoubtedly belongs in the exalted company of our Hall of Fame.

Bill Ponsford

Bill Ponsford was one of the greatest run accumulators and scorers of ‘Daddy hundreds’ that the cricket world has ever known. The only man other than Brian Lara to have scored 400+ twice in First Class cricket (429 vs. Tasmania in 1922-23 and 437 vs. Queensland in 1927-28) , he scored 200+ 13 times during his career and averaged 83 in Sheffield Shield matches, 65 in all first class cricket and 48 in tests. Some of the series of colossal scores he strung together were truly remarkable, particularly in Shield cricket. In 1926-27 for example, his innings in Shield matches were 214 and 54, 151, 352, 108 and 84, 12 and 116, 131 and 7, producing an aggregate of 1229 runs at 122.90, while in 1927-28 he produced 133, 437, 202 and 38, 336, 6 and 2, and 63 - an aggregate of 1217 at 152.12. His 336 against South Australia in January 1928 was his eleventh first-class hundred in consecutive matches in Australia.
Ray Robinson described Ponsford as the "founder of total batting, the first to make a habit of regarding 100 as merely the opening battle in a campaign for a larger triumph." Ponsford’s hunger for runs is illustrated by the story that, after he’d edged the ball onto his stumps, having scored 352 against NSW in 1926, he turned to the ‘keeper in disgust and remarked, ‘How unlucky can you get?’.
A big, heavy set man, Ponsford was, however, remarkably quick on his feet and dominated spin and medium pace bowling. Perhaps surprisingly for someone who usually opened the batting, he had something of a weakness against extreme pace, sometimes moving too far across his stumps and getting bowled behind his legs. This didn’t stop him playing some fine innings at the highest level, however. He scored centuries in his first two test matches, and 7 in total with, perhaps his most famous innings being his 266 at the Oval in 1934 when he put on 451 for the 2nd wicket with Don Bradman (still an Australian record, I believe), and his 181 in the test prior to that when he and the Don added 388 for the 4th wicket. Ray Robinson said of his partnerships with Bradman that Ponsford “was the only one who could play in Bradman's company and make it a duet.", while Bradman himself said that "There were more beautiful players, but for absolute efficiency and results where can one turn to equal [Ponsford]?"
While Ponsford’s partnerships with Bradman were often remarkable it is, perhaps, for his partnership with Bill Woodfull that he is best remembered. For both Victoria and Australia, "the two Bills", "Willy Wo and Willy Po" and "Mutt and Jeff” , as they were variously known, made 23 century partnerships, 12 of which exceeded 150 runs.
A quiet, shy man, Ponsford who, according to Bill O’Reilly, "spoke rarely and even then only if he could improve on silence.", was also one of the best Australian baseball players of his time, retiring from both games at the relatively early age of 34, in 1934 (although he continued to play club cricket until 1939).
However, despite his baseball career it is as a cricketer that he is best remembered. A Wisden cricketer of the year in 1935, he was awarded an MBE for services to cricket in 1982, was elected as one of the ten inaugural members of the Australian Cricket Hall of Fame in 1996 and, along with Arthur Morris, was chosen to open the innings for the ACB’s Team of the Century, in 2000. Despite being somewhat eclipsed by Bradman, (and he wasn’t alone in that),it can be seen that he is still highly regarded in his home country, and remembered as one of the greatest batsmen in Australian, and indeed world, cricket history.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoggy_Bear Mon 08 Oct 2012, 11:35 am

Can I just ask if, having proposed them and outlined the case for them, it would seem strange if I didn't actually vote yes to all the names I put forward?

Hoggy_Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Mon 08 Oct 2012, 3:43 pm

Hoggy_Bear wrote:Can I just ask if, having proposed them and outlined the case for them, it would seem strange if I didn't actually vote yes to all the names I put forward?

You are free to change your mind, but I'm obviously expecting you to vote Yes Very Happy

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Mon 08 Oct 2012, 4:10 pm

some initial thoughts from me, trying to jog my memory...

Clem Hill: seems to stand out as one of the very best batsmen of his time. Interestingly he seems as a rule to have made less of an impact than his contemporary Vic Trumper (who we made a founder member of our HOF). Why's this? their records are to all intents and purposes nearly identical (n° matches, runs, centuries, etc. very little to choose). I suspect that Vic Trumper's style makes the difference here: he's often credited with being the father of "modern" batting in a way, certainly seems to have batted quite differently to the other players around. Hill doesn't seem to have made quite the same impact, nor leave the same legacy. However Hill was as I initially said a stand out of his generation, and at the moment I'm leaning towards a YES vote there, though not 100% sure yet.

McCabe: anyone who can have Bradman saying "I wish I could bat like that" or Barnes saying "he'd have decked me all over the place" (not in such crude terms of course Very Happy) deserves us to sit up and take notice. For me he ticks all the boxes: a very fine player in his own right, and has those special innings that have left a lasting legacy. I'll admit I've been a bit of a student of the Bodyline series, but that innings in the first test where he took on Larwood and co. was something very special, and I suspect very few players in the history of the game would have been capable of producing. Very much looking at a YES vote here.

Ponsford: another player from the same era as the greatest of them all. A question worth asking is whether such players benefit from this or not: on the one side you could say they'll always suffer the comparison with the great man, but on the other playing with him must have been an advantage (the opposition so concentrated on Bradman that you could go under the radar)? Not strictly relevant of course... what strikes me when I first look at Ponsford's records (I know stats don't tell us everything but they give us a decent idea nonetheless) is the remarkable first class average of 65+ and the fact he scored more centuries than fifties, both in tests and in first class cricket. This tells me that he was a great accumulator of runs who didn't get "bored", which is backed up by hoggy's posts. Possibly (very possibly) he was the first of this kind. His involvement (and in fact key contributions) in the two highest FC scores of all time (indeed the only 1000+ scores) is another thing which should be mentioned.

For all this, I'm still a little unsure on Ponsford: very very fine career, but is there that little something extra which I'm looking for? I need convincing.

There's also the fact that voting in three Australians in one week doesn't sit quite right with me Wink

Now onto Jayasuriya: well his record isn't all that stellar (in fact his Test match record is pretty ordinary). He was a very good cricketer, opening the batting and chipping in with more than his fair share of useful left-arm spinners, but not a great one. However, when examining his contribution to cricket one has to go beyond that. The main argument for HOF inclusion is simple: he revolutionised ODI batting, making the first 15 overs (later to becomes the PP overs) an area where the batsmen could prosper, rather than just avoid getting out. Before Jayasuriya, ODI innnings were built around keeping wickets in hand as long as possible (sometimes too long: who can forget the infamous Boycott-Brearley opening partnership in the WC final against WI?) and then having a real bash at the end (last ten overs usually).

Jayasuriya recognised that in fact the first 15 overs of the innings, with the fielding restrictions, were the best time to hit boundaries, and thus presented a good chance of scoring fast. He adopted a similarly aggressive ploy in tests (the 213 vs England at the Oval in 98 being a prime example). Without Jayasuriya, there may have been no Gilchrist, no Sehwag, no Gayle, etc. The game might well have been very different today.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Mon 08 Oct 2012, 4:46 pm

McCabe is an intriguing character. I read a fair bit about him before we halted this process, and I think I was caught in the trap. My awareness and appreciation of the man and his exploits increased tenfold as a result, he is sure to be a yes from me.

Hoggy, you can of course vote yes or no. Putting the names forward was merely due to them being worthy of discussion, and, as many big names before them have found out, that alone doesn't necessarily gain you entry.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Mon 08 Oct 2012, 4:56 pm

Glad to see this thread being revived, as it has produced great debate and information.

I think part of the reason it faded last year was that the last set of nominees included 3 Aussie batsmen who all had strong but not overwhelming cases for inclusion - Hill may have been the statistical equal of Trumper but didn't have the same recognition, while McCabe and Ponsford were both very good 'second fiddle' players behind Bradman - both have some outstanding features in their records (Ponsford's ability to make great-granddaddy hundreds, McCabe's performance in the Bodyline series) but their overall records appear to be of a level where we have let some in and left some out of the HoF.

Hill can probably be dealt with on his own merit, and I am tending towards a yes there, Ponsford and McCabe (with near identical Test records during overlapping playing periods) are either both yes or both no, and I really can't make up my mind.

Jayasuriya is really an interesting nominee to my mind - one like D'Oliveira (obviously for different reasons) where the statistics alone are insufficient for his HoF position. However, his impact on the way the game is played strongly impact his legacy. Would 20-20 cricket have developed without Jayasuriya's radical approach to ODI opening and the success it brought to Sri Lanka? Based on that significance to the development of the modern, highly attacking game, he is a strong candidate for a yes vote from me.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Mon 08 Oct 2012, 5:19 pm

It's a very interesting list of candidates I think...

Hill I admit to not knowing much about. Research and reading required there.

McCabe for me is a fairly clear yes vote. An excellent player in his own right with a fine record, but it's the special innings which really stand out and give him that little bit extra. As MfC does I would highlight his 187* against bodyline as simply one of the greatest innings ever played, alongside Gooch's famous 154 against the West Indies. Unlike Gooch, there is no record of McCabe's attitude to practice and coaching setting back Australia several years in their development. Then there is the knock of which Bradman said "I wish I could play like that". Enough said.

I refute dummy_half's claim that if you accept McCabe you also accept Ponsford. Everyone of course has their own criteria for selection, and I remind people that I am looking for "excellence" and "a little bit extra" which could be in the form of impact (as with Jayasuriya and later Jonty Rhodes, Steve Waugh for his captaincy), an outstanding one-off (Lara's records, Laker's 19 wickets, Richards's world cup final knock), a statistical anomaly (Bradman, Barnes), or what is the most subjective being an "undisputed all-time great". Or any other criteria I choose to add as I think of it. Several players of course will fit into several of these.

I am not sure as of yet where Ponsford fits in. He has a fine fine record, but I suspect he falls short of "undisputed all-time greatness" - he is touch and go to make an Aussie all-time XI (there are several other, equally worthy IMO, candidates to open alongside the must-have Morris), and almost certainly wouldn't make an all-time world XI. He doesn't stand out amongst his peers, even if you exclude Bradman (McCabe had a similar record, and of course he also played with guys like Hammond, Hutton and co). So we are looking for that little bit extra. MfC raises his first class average which I admit I wasn't aware of and is extraordinary, as well as his conversion rate, which whilst excellent is not IMO unique or special enough to get him in. Perhaps his other great claim is (I think) to be the first (and still one of only two - Lara being the other) player to score 2 first class scores of 400 or more.

This doesn't mean I shall vote against him, merely saying that I haven't made up my mind at all as of yet, and detailing what reservations I have.

For Jayasuriya, I shall make a case sometime during the week. I believe he would be an excellent addition, but understand that people can and will hold his comparatively average record against him.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 08 Oct 2012, 6:01 pm

Mike - a concern I have about Jayasuriya is that whilst he had impact and therefore along with it that ''bit extra'', did he have sufficient ''excellence''?

I ask that as a steer rather than a knock back. No need to answer now.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 08 Oct 2012, 8:13 pm

Think I'll add my two cents worth in terms of "peer" recognition:

Just had a butcher's at the Aussie HOF and Ponsford was an original inductee, in 1996.
McCabe followed in 2002, Clem Hill (which, let's face it, is a crummy name compared to Victor Trumper) in 2005.

Very very difficult to discern the differences between the merits of the three Aussies, all legendary figures as I was learning the game, from Hoggy's excellent testimony, but am always interested in how players' peers regard them, as well of course about their impact on various aspects of the game, a la Jayasuriya.

PS: Am I correct in saying that Brian Lara was the only new inductee into the ICC Cricket Hall Of Fame in 2012?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Mon 08 Oct 2012, 9:34 pm

I think I'm right in saying Enid Bakewell was also inducted. We should probably consider her at some point - maybe this week if nobody has somebody they'd particularly like to make a case for.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 08 Oct 2012, 10:00 pm

Ah yes, I see that now. Thanks thumbsup

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 09 Oct 2012, 8:17 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Think I'll add my two cents worth in terms of "peer" recognition:

Just had a butcher's at the Aussie HOF and Ponsford was an original inductee, in 1996.
McCabe followed in 2002, Clem Hill (which, let's face it, is a crummy name compared to Victor Trumper) in 2005.

Very very difficult to discern the differences between the merits of the three Aussies, all legendary figures as I was learning the game, from Hoggy's excellent testimony, but am always interested in how players' peers regard them, as well of course about their impact on various aspects of the game, a la Jayasuriya.

PS: Am I correct in saying that Brian Lara was the only new inductee into the ICC Cricket Hall Of Fame in 2012?

Kwini - great to hear from you again. thumbsup

That's an extremely relevant post, thanks. I too am finding it ''very very difficult to discern the differences between the merits of the three Aussies''.

I've read on Cricinfo that the ICC plan to induct two individuals (in addition to Lara and Bakewell) into their Hall of Fame later this year. I'm not particularly comfortable with that - inductees should be decided on merits, not numbers. There again, what really matters is that we're doing it right! Wink

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 10 Oct 2012, 8:49 am

lol forgot we had started this again, im looking forward to getting back into the debate Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoggy_Bear Wed 10 Oct 2012, 9:06 am

Must admit that Ponsford was the one I was most unsure about but, As Kwini points out, it seems that he is the one the selectors of the Aussie HoF were most sure about.

Hoggy_Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed 10 Oct 2012, 9:17 am

guildfordbat wrote:Mike - a concern I have about Jayasuriya is that whilst he had impact and therefore along with it that ''bit extra'', did he have sufficient ''excellence''?

I ask that as a steer rather than a knock back. No need to answer now.

I think guildford raises a valid point. I've had a quick look at Jayasuriya's stats. He averaged 40 in tests (110 matches, 14 centuries) and 32 in ODIs (a remarkable 445 matches, 28 centuries). He also picked up 98 wickets at 34 in tests and 323 in ODIs at 36. Of course the most important statistic of the lot is his SR of 92 in ODIs, which I'm guessing is practically unheard of for openers of the same era (in contrast for instance Nick Knight and Mark Waugh - two very fine ODI openers whose careers probably began at roughly the same time - had SRs of respectively 71 and 76). Like I said, Jayasuriya was the foreshawdower of guys like Gilchrist, Gayle, Sehwag.

I'd argue that going by those stats Jayasuriya was a very good player (remember an average of 40 in tests used to be - wrongly IMO - considered the benchmark back in the 90s). I would say his ODI record is excellent, especially when you throw in his bowling.

I guess it all depends on how willing individual posters are to accept someone with a very good, but not outstanding, record into the HOF, based on the influence he had on the game (which was undoubtedly huge).

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed 10 Oct 2012, 9:27 am

on kwini's point re the order of the Aussie inductees:

I'm probably least sure about Hill at the moment. I know I was tending towards a YES vote the other day, but I'm slightly re-considering my position, more in terms of impact: how much do we remember of Clem Hill? I know he played a very very long time ago but we don't remember him as we remember our other inductees from say the first half of the 20th century (or at least I don't) such as Trumper, Bradman, Hammond, Hutton, etc. Those guys left an indelible mark on the game, and I'm not sure Hill did. Am I being too harsh? Possibly, but we've left some mighty fine players out of our HOF, and I think we need to keep our standards consistent.

McCabe is the one I'm most certain about: like Mike he ticks all my boxes, and the praise he receives from the greatest of all (Bradman and Barnes) just can't be ignored. An almost definite YES from me here.

Interesting that Ponsford was a founder member of the Aussie HOF but McCabe wasn't. I remember when we did a "best ten test openers of all time" poll and he didn't get a look-in IIRC. Of course it's a very harsh standard to judge anyone by, but suggests he's not quite up there with the all-time greats (which is not to say he wasn't a great player, which he clearly was).

Basically, I'm still unsure on three of the four candidates for this batch, so let the debating begin Very Happy

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoggy_Bear Wed 10 Oct 2012, 9:49 am

MFC

Agree that Hill didn't have the same sort of lasting impact as those you mentioned, but it must be remembered that all of those you did are absolute shoe-ins for a list such as this. Hill (and others) are more marginal. Therefore the fact that they are not as well remembered is, perhaps, to be expected. I think the fun of this part of the discussion is discovering things about these players who, while they would not feature on many top 20 greatest cricketers of all-time lists, might still be viewed as worthy of entry to our HoF for various reasons. In McCabe's case, for example, his three great innings, in my view, lift him above the level of simply a batsman who averaged around 48 in tests, and propel him toward inclusion. In Hill's case, the fact that he was, in all-probability, the most consistent batsman of his time, plus the fact that he once threw a fellow selector out of a window after a stand-up fist fight with him, is swinging my view the same way Very Happy . As I say, Ponsford is the one I'm most unsure about as, despite his massive runs in shield cricket, he never really transferred that success to tests, was weak gainst the extreme pace of Larwood, and never really had that outstsnding innings as far as I can tell. But just to answer your comment about him not featuring in the top 10 openers discussion, wasn't that discussion limited to post WWII?

Hoggy_Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 10 Oct 2012, 10:03 am

Hoggy_Bear wrote:MFC

Agree that Hill didn't have the same sort of lasting impact as those you mentioned, but it must be remembered that all of those you did are absolute shoe-ins for a list such as this. Hill (and others) are more marginal. Therefore the fact that they are not as well remembered is, perhaps, to be expected. I think the fun of this part of the discussion is discovering things about these players who, while they would not feature on many top 20 greatest cricketers of all-time lists, might still be viewed as worthy of entry to our HoF for various reasons.

I agree with Hoggy's comments above. Perhaps worth flagging that George Lohmann was originally one of the five nominees this time round. He's already been inducted although probably less well known / remembered than any of the three Aussies.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 10 Oct 2012, 12:36 pm

Jayasuria will be a yes from me! I will explain why later.

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Wed 10 Oct 2012, 1:51 pm

Hoggy

Ponsford's best Test performances appear to have come in his final tour of England (1934), where he finally transferred that ability to make big Shield scores to the Tests. 4th Test at Headingley he scored 181 in a partnership of 388 with you know who (who scored 304), and then went even better in the 5th test in scoring 266 in a partnership of 451 (the Don scoring 244).

As an oddity, in both the above innings Ponsford was out hit wicket.

Criticism of his performance in the Bodyline series appears to have been a bit excessive - he only played in 3 of the 5 tests, and had a best score of 85, in an innings most noted for Ponsford's willingness to take a blow to the body rather than risking pushing a catch out to the short leg fielders. Maybe he did have a weakness against this type of bowling, but he still found a way to contribute.

I'm edging towards both Ponsford and McCabe being YES from me - I think there is just enough extra in both cases to elevate them from excellent to the level of our HoF.

Jayasuriya I think has a good enough record in all forms of the game to not count strongly against his HoF credentials based on the legacy of how he played - OK, his pure statistics are those of a very good player (especially when including the effectiveness of his better than part time bowling) rather than an outstanding one, but his approach to ODI batting changed the way the game is played in a way that is only now being reconsidered in light of T20 run rates.
I do wonder if the influence of Jayasuriya's batting was actually increased by the fact that he was a good Sri Lankan player rather than a great Aussie or West Indian - Viv Richards (as an example) had a far better ODI average and similar strike rate 10 years earlier (OK, not opening), but everyone knew Viv was a genius and that more normally talented batsmen couldn't hope to emulate his approach, whereas they could see a way of playing like Jayasuriya.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Wed 10 Oct 2012, 6:09 pm

I'm currently split on Jayasuriya.

My over-riding impression of Sanath, probably coloured by having followed his career from 2002 or so rather than from the beginning, was that he was a tad overrated. He was obviously a hugely dangerous player, particularly in the limited-overs game, but during the years when I was following his career as an England team I always felt more threatened by Gilchrist, Hayden or Sachin.

This is only an impression through, and thus only a starting point in my assessment of him.

What I would first say is that if he does make it into the Hall of Fame it shouldn't be because of his Test career. He scored 14 100s, and averaged a tad over 40, but considering he was often opening the batting on the flat pitches of SL, and that he played over 100 Tests, I don't consider this to be anything more than a decent record. Batting aggressively at the top of the order in Tests certainly didn't start with him (Greenidge was certainly an aggressive opener and even Jack Hobbs is often referred to as having been a positive player), and his spin bowling is more of a part-time factor in the longer game. Having said that he did score a big triple hundred and that might be worth referencing at some point.

But clearly his one-day career is the main basis on which a case for him can be made. His one-day average is OK and strike rate good, and he played 445 games with 28 100s.

That leaves me with two main questions about his one-day career:

1. How does he compare to his contemporaries as an all-round player?
2. Was his role at the top of the order really revolutionary, and if so, was he the best exponent of it?

A somewhat questionable formula which is occasionally used to compare different one-day players is average x strike rate.

For the 10 players who scored the most ODI runs during the period from Jayasuriya's debut in 1989 to his last game last year, here are the values when average is multiplied by SR:

Sachin Tendulkar - 45.27 ave x 86.33 SR = 3908.16
Sanath Jayasuriya - 32.36 x 91.21 = 2951.56
Ricky Ponting - 42.69 x 80.59 = 3440.39
Inzamam-ul-Haq - 39.52 x 74.24 = 2933.96
Sourav Ganguly - 41.02 x 73.70 = 3023.17
Jacques Kallis - 45.45 x 72.77 = 3307.37
Rahul Dravid - 39.43 x 71.07 = 2806.23
Brian Lara - 40.48 x 79.51 = 3218.56
Mohammad Yousuf - 41.71 x 75.10 = 3132.42
Adam Gilchrist - 35.89 x 96.94 = 3479.18

I found this illustrious list to be of interesting reading. Most of the players in this list are/ were not out and out aggressive players like Sanath. But an interesting comparison is with Gilchrist, whose career began in 1996 - the same sort of time that Sanath moved from middle-order all-rounder to opener. In most cases on the list a strong average leads to a high score. But Gilchrist's strike rate is good enough to elevate him to second on the list, in spite of having the second lowest average. Gilchrist is clearly a far superior player to Jayasuriya in this sense - he has a better average and a better SR.

This leads me to conclude that Jayasuriya's pure ODI record is good rather than great even when taking into account SR, and so suggests to me that he should need that 'something extra' for inclusion in the Hall of Fame. Part of that is his bowling - most of the others in the list didn't bowl (though Kallis did obviously, and both Sachin and Sourav did to an extent). There is also of course the question of any definining innings (I'll leave that for another post), whether he got SL off to a good start striking at 92 which paved the way for Aravinda, Ranatunga, Sangakkara and Jayawardene to enjoy their success, and of course his role in the 1996 World Cup win.

And finally the question of whether he was the first to bat at the top of the order and attack the powerplays. Well, powerplays weren't introduced until 1991, but as guildford points out Sir Viv scored at an SR of 90, mostly from No. 3. But other than Richards its hard to find examples of batsmen scoring at that rate in the top 3 before 1996: Greenidge and Gooch both had SRs in the 60s, and the lack of memorable ODI openers from this era probably reflects that their job was usually considered to be purely to keep wickets in hand.

So, food for thought. I remain on the fence. More at another time.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 10 Oct 2012, 6:43 pm

Shelsey93 wrote:

.... And finally the question of whether he was the first to bat at the top of the order and attack the powerplays. Well, powerplays weren't introduced until 1991, but as guildford points out Sir Viv scored at an SR of 90, mostly from No. 3. But other than Richards its hard to find examples of batsmen scoring at that rate in the top 3 before 1996: Greenidge and Gooch both had SRs in the 60s, and the lack of memorable ODI openers from this era probably reflects that their job was usually considered to be purely to keep wickets in hand.

Shelsey - good post although credit for pointing out Richards' SR belongs with Dummy.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Wed 10 Oct 2012, 8:30 pm

Shelsey

As you point out, the powerplay regulations had been in place for 5 years before Jayasuriya / Sri Lanka changed the tactics. Certainly at the time it was considered a radical approach, although it is worth noting that the conditions for the 96 world Cup aided the approach, with a lack of bounce and seam movement in the Sub-continental wickets. For quite a number of years after, England tended to play with a hitter at the top of the order on tour but with a more conventional opener in home ODIs.

I seem to recall the Aussies (amongst others) attempting to emulate the SL tactics by putting a pinch hitter to the top of the order - I think Warne even got to open a couple of times in the WC.

So I think it is reasonable to consider the Sri Lankans, Jayasuriya in particular, as being the originators of the tactic of hitting over the infield in the opening overs. Prior to them, getting to 15 overs as 50-1 was considered pretty good, whereas after the 96 WC, the aim was to have 100+ on the board for no more than 3 down.

My point about comparing Richards and Jayasuriya was really just a passing thought, in that had Viv come up with the tactics everyone else would have just said 'genius at work', and stuck with the tried and tested. By comparison, a lot of batsmen would have looked at Jayasuriya and said 'I'm as good as him' and tried to do the same as he was.
Oh, and as for his quality as an ODI player, he is the only one to have over 3000 runs and 300 wickets in 50 over matches, so he had a very good career.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Wed 10 Oct 2012, 8:36 pm

I guess we also have the debate "How significant are ODIs in selecting our Hall of Fame members?". I'd suggest that simply being an exceptional ODI player/ innovator should be enough, but I'd imagine there would still be some who would call it pyjama cricket.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Wed 10 Oct 2012, 9:12 pm

Shelsey

While I would certainly be one of those who considered Test cricket as by far the more important, ODIs have been around long enough and played with enough seriousness (in the sporting context even if some of the pyjamas have made it questionable) that excellence in that form of the game is a legitimate consideration for our HoF team.

I'd be a bit loath to put in someone who was a true one day speciaist and didn't have at least a reasonably good Test record, but Jayasuriya did well enough in Tests to be considerd more than an ODI player.

I'd also argue that Jayasuriya's influence as an aggressive opener had some influence on the approach subsequent batsmen and teams took to Test cricket - Hayden and Slater for Australia certainly took some of the skills they picked up as ODI players into the Test arena.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Wed 10 Oct 2012, 9:51 pm

Is that Michael Slater who averaged 24 at a strike rate of 60 in ODIs? Very Happy Shocked

No, you are to some extent right.

Will move away from the stats shortly because I know they aren't everyones cup of tea, and certainly shouldn't be the only (or even primary) means on which we select people. But I've had a look at the 1996 World Cup to look at whether there was a 'Jayasuriya effect' or whether its a bit of a myth.

The first thing to say is that he didn't feature among the leading run-scorers: they were Tendulkar, M. Waugh, de Silva, Kirsten and Saeed Anwar, most of whom scored at about 80-85. Saeed Anwar is interesting - he had a career SR of 80 but went at a tad under 96 in the '96 World Cup. Jayasuriya's contribution was 221 runs at 37, but at the mammoth SR of 131. A very high SR even by T20 standards but was going at that rate successful? In isolation probably (i.e. v England in the QF when he scored 82 off 44 - as a side note England's attack that day was Martin, Illingworth, Gough, de Freitas and Reeve); in general no it wasn't, as his failures in both the semi and final testify. Indeed, I'd argue that a combination of improvements in batting down the order resulting from T20, changes to the powerplay regulations and more skilful bowling have made the Sanath approach obsolete in modern-day ODIs.

To see whether the idea of opening with a hitter was copied off the back of Sanath, I've jumped to the 2002 Champions Trophy (having decided that the World Cup in England wasn't a fair comparison because of conditions). In that tournament the leading runscorers were Sehwag (SR 120), Sanath (SR 85), Gibbs (SR 94), whilst Gilchrist also scored a ton in the tournament and finished with an SR of 125. A clear change is evident, and from the limited sample of I've used that would have to be down to Sanath Jayasuriya and the Sri Lankans in the first instance.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoggy_Bear Thu 11 Oct 2012, 10:10 am

My own reservations about Jayasuriya run along the same lines as those I expressed concerning Larwood, namely, does success when utilising a tactical plan perfectly suited to your particular skill set compensate for relative mediocrity when not using that plan?

Hoggy_Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Thu 11 Oct 2012, 10:22 am

Shelsey93 wrote:...

To see whether the idea of opening with a hitter was copied off the back of Sanath, I've jumped to the 2002 Champions Trophy (having decided that the World Cup in England wasn't a fair comparison because of conditions). In that tournament the leading runscorers were Sehwag (SR 120), Sanath (SR 85), Gibbs (SR 94), whilst Gilchrist also scored a ton in the tournament and finished with an SR of 125. A clear change is evident, and from the limited sample of I've used that would have to be down to Sanath Jayasuriya and the Sri Lankans in the first instance.

Actually, given that New Zealand had spent most of the early '90s using Mark Greatbach and (less successfully admittedly) Rod Latham as opening hitters, Sri Lanka's use of Jayasuriya and Kalu was more imitative than innovative.

In the 80s Kris Srikanth was pretty aggressive for India, while as early as the late 70s NZ were selecting Peter Coman and Barry Hadlee as specialist ODI openers. I'm sure there are examples from other countries back in the day too.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 20  Next