The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A look at the first round of the NFL Draft

5 posters

Go down

A look at the first round of the NFL Draft Empty A look at the first round of the NFL Draft

Post by Thomond Sat 28 Apr 2012, 12:11 pm

A look at the first round of the 2012 NFL Draft- Part One

The first round is done and dusted; after the first two picks, things got a little interesting. I will look at those at those picked and give a grade based on the pick, taking any trade ups or trade downs that may have happened.

1. Andrew Luck- Quarterback - Indianapolis Colts
Spoiler:
A look at the first round of the NFL Draft Andrew-Luck2

Love the pick, after Peyton Manning left, Luck was the logical choice to replace him. Great arm, very good mobility and seems to be an intelligent guy. A lack of weapons and outstanding players could hurt him but, I think he could excel.

Grade: A+

Article continues on the v2Journal here:
Part 1
Part 2

Thomond

Back to top Go down

A look at the first round of the NFL Draft Empty Re: A look at the first round of the NFL Draft

Post by Derbyblue Fri 04 May 2012, 4:09 pm

Not sure why picking Trent Richardson is only an A, we gave up 3 late round picks to get the guy we wanted who some say is the best prospect since Peterson. Also think a C+ for the Weeden pick is a little harsh.

Something I think people are forgetting when they say they don't like the Poe pick because all the other DT's were on the board is that how many of them can really play as a NT in the Chiefs scheme?

Also think DeCastro at 24 deserves a better grade than A- I don't think anyone saw him falling that far he has been the top guard in the draft all season, and think it's a great pick for the Steelers.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

A look at the first round of the NFL Draft Empty Re: A look at the first round of the NFL Draft

Post by Colan (niner) Fri 04 May 2012, 4:35 pm

Don't think Barron is an A, I think his value was inflated because of such a poor safety class

Colan (niner)

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Fri 04 May 2012, 5:31 pm

Derbyblue wrote:Not sure why picking Trent Richardson is only an A, we gave up 3 late round picks to get the guy we wanted who some say is the best prospect since Peterson.

I think its an A simply for giving up so much to make the move, when it was considered that they wouldn't have to. As indicated, The Vikings bluffed the Browns and won.

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Fri 04 May 2012, 5:43 pm

skins4ever wrote:
Derbyblue wrote:Not sure why picking Trent Richardson is only an A, we gave up 3 late round picks to get the guy we wanted who some say is the best prospect since Peterson.

I think its an A simply for giving up so much to make the move, when it was considered that they wouldn't have to. As indicated, The Vikings bluffed the Browns and won.
Yes as indicated if you ignore all of the reports saying that the Vikings had contact from other teams (pretty sure they've stated it themselves), if someone had moved past the Browns and got Richardson and all we would have had to give up was a 4th, 5th, 7th to get him I would probably have considered why I support the normally terrible at the best of times franchise. We still had the most selections in the draft so not like we really needed those 3 extra late round picks. Also "so much" the Redskins gave up 4 picks (1 more than we did) all within the first two rounds (much earlier than the picks we gave up) but maybe we have massively different opinions on what can be counted as "so much"?

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Sun 06 May 2012, 10:47 am

I gave Barron an A because the Bucs got who they wanted and picked up a 4th. Plus he is an incredibly talented guy. Browns got played for T-Rich hence the lower rating. Weeden, might have been slightly harsh on but I think he would have been there at the Browns second round, so wide receiver or defence could have been used for that pick. There's also the whole Colt McCoy thing. He has had feic all to work with!

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Virgil_Caine Sun 06 May 2012, 12:04 pm

Good article fella!

The Bengals had to take Dre when the over options at corner had gone.

I've heard that we had Zietler rated higher than DeCastro and would have taken him if we stayed at 21.

Virgil_Caine

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Sun 06 May 2012, 3:12 pm

Thomond wrote:I gave Barron an A because the Bucs got who they wanted and picked up a 4th. Plus he is an incredibly talented guy. Browns got played for T-Rich hence the lower rating. Weeden, might have been slightly harsh on but I think he would have been there at the Browns second round, so wide receiver or defence could have been used for that pick. There's also the whole Colt McCoy thing. He has had feic all to work with!
Well you can believe what you want (Vikings GM has said they had other offers on the table), either way we came into the draft with 13 picks and giving up 3 to make sure we got Richardson really isn't that big of a deal considering "he's the best prospect since AP". Which WR would you have taken with the 22 pick for the Browns then? By the time they pick in the second only Brian Quick and AJ Jenkins had gone and they still didn't go receiver so maybe they didn't like this years receiver class after the top 3? I'm aware McCoy had nothing to work with I even wrote an article saying they shouldn't take a QB, however they have done and clearly they must believe he can start pretty much straight away, also don't really think McCoy would have ever been anything special certain things like running the wrong side of the yard marker on 3rd down make you question his decision making.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Mon 07 May 2012, 10:07 am

I don't think Richardson is that good, but that's beside the point. Weeden is a low grade because they didn't need to take him there, that's really the only reason, he would have been there for their second. They could have solidifed the line with DeCastro, or even grabbed a linebacker to help out D'Qwell. As for WRs, you're right some of them probably would have been a reach, but a guy like Quick,Hill or Jenkins would have helped out the team a lot.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum