The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stephen Hendry retires

+13
EdWoodjr
Knowsit17
liverbnz
Taylorman
daraghj82
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
88Chris05
eirebilly
Qoxiivi
CaledonianCraig
Josiah Maiestas
gboycottnut
Adam D
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Stephen Hendry retires Empty Stephen Hendry retires

Post by Adam D Tue 01 May 2012, 9:14 pm

Following his thrashing at the world champs, Stephen hangs up his cue.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Stephen Hendry retires Empty Re: Stephen Hendry retires

Post by gboycottnut Tue 01 May 2012, 9:16 pm

Adam D wrote:Following his thrashing at the world champs, Stephen hangs up his cue.

Really how do you know?

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Tue 01 May 2012, 10:25 pm

Seven-time world champion Stephen Hendry has announced his retirement from snooker after a heavy 13-2 defeat by Stephen Maguire at the Crucible.

The 43-year-old, who looked out of sorts against Maguire in a one-sided World Championship quarter-final, said he made the decision three months ago.

He said: "There's a few reasons - the schedule, the fact I'm not playing the snooker I want to play, and the fact I'm not enjoying practice.

"It was quite an easy decision."

He added: "I didn't tell many people [before the tournament], but this is me finished from tournament snooker."

Asked whether he would have changed his mind if he had won the tournament, Hendry replied: "No not at all. If I had won, it would have been a better way to go out.

"I was delighted to have made a mamimum here [against Stuart Bingham in the first round] which is why I was more animated when I achieved it. I was delighted to do it on my last appearance.

"I've had so many memories here; my first time here, my first win, obviously my seventh world title. I could write a book about the memories that I had here.

"It's a sad that I won't play here [at the Crucible] again, I love playing here but it's a relief as much as anything.

"I want to do other things now. I've got a lot of commitments now in China, which I've signed up for and I can't do that and play snooker because I would never be at home."

Hendry, who was making his 27th consecutive appearance at the World Championship, looked back to his fluent best as he hit his third Crucible maximum - a record he shares with Ronnie O'Sullivan - in his first round defeat of Bingham.

He went on to beat defending champion Higgins 13-4 which prompted him to declare that he could win a record eighth world title.

Jimmy White, who was beaten by Stephen Hendry in four World Championship finals, tweeted: "He was and is an unbelievable snooker player & has nothing to prove. I hope he enjoys his retirement, he really deserves it.

"He's always put snooker first, been a model professional, a credit to the game and I'll see him in the legends tour this year for more battles.

"I thank him sincerely for some of the best matches and memories of my own career. I'm not sure his records will ever be equalled."

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/snooker/17917326
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Tue 01 May 2012, 10:29 pm

Will Stephen still be on the BBC commentating?

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Tue 01 May 2012, 10:40 pm

I'll find it hard to watch snooker. My first ever cue was signed by Stephen Hendry. Sad days. Crying or Very sad
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue 01 May 2012, 10:42 pm

Yes very sad JM. A great ambassador for the sport much like Steve Davis. Hopefully he stays involved with the sport somehow. Some nice tributes coming in:-

Shaun Murphy: "Most successful snooker player of all time, Stephen Hendry retires. Can't believe it."
Ian McCulloch: "All the paracetamol in the world couldn't cure the headaches Hendry gave me but I always looked forward to playing him."
Stuart Bingham: "A sad day for snooker as the best player who's ever picked up a cue retires! It's been an absolute honour being on the same table."
Mark King: "Just heard Stephen Hendry has retired from professional snooker, I cant believe it, the tour won't be the same without him."
Neal Foulds: "I somehow beat Stephen 5-4 in my first ranking match with him when he was 16 in Warrington. Never got close to beating the great man again."
Referee Paul Collier: "So I just refereed Hendry's last professional match. Every match was a pleasure to referee. Thanks for all the memories."
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Qoxiivi Tue 01 May 2012, 11:02 pm

Indeed a sad day, but it's been coming for a while and he has nothing left to prove in the game - already the most successful and complete player to have ever graced the game. Like many, I was always rooting against him when he was in his prime, purely because almost every tournament became an almost inevitable procession. Now, looking back, I see that as a measure of just how great and dominant he was.

Enjoy your retirement Stephen, you've earned it.

Qoxiivi

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Tue 01 May 2012, 11:09 pm

I thought he was going to quit last year when he was badly beaten by Selby.. but atleast he was able to go out with a 147 in his last ever tournament!

heart Hendry
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Wed 02 May 2012, 12:30 am

Josiah Maiestas wrote:I thought he was going to quit last year when he was badly beaten by Selby.. but atleast he was able to go out with a 147 in his last ever tournament!

heart Hendry

Very sad day for Scottish Snooker. With Hendry's retirement, there aren't many Scottish players left who are capable of winning a professional snooker title now.

What I find scary and uncanny is that the king of the Crucible Hendry plays his last ever match during this year's tournament whilst a future king of the Crucible the talented Belgian Luca Brecel makes his first ever appearance in the venue this year V Stephen Maguire.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed 02 May 2012, 6:28 am

Followed Hendry since he came onto the scene. I was a young lad as well and was amazed by his brilliant attacking style of snooker. He re-invented snooker in my eyes, that pack split from the Blue will always be known as the Hendry split in my eyes.

Thank god he will be a commentator as well, never says too much and knows what to say at the right time. A young Clive if you will Smile
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 02 May 2012, 9:32 am

Certainly a very sad day for snooker. It seems almost impossible to fathom watching future tournaments on the BBC and not seeing Stephen Hendry involved. The term 'end of an era' gets overused, but that is certainly the case here.

775 century breaks - a record.
11 maximum breaks - a record (jointly held).
3 maximum breaks at the Crucible - a record (jointly held).
World champion at just twenty-one years old - a record.
World number one at just twenty-one years old - a record.
7 world titles - a record.
5 successive world titles - a record.
36 world ranking titles - a record.
6 Masters titles - a record.
5 successive Masters titles - a record.
9 seasons ended as the world number one - a record.
8 successive seasons ended as the world number one - a record.
Around £9million in prize money - a record.
Around £740,000 earned in one season (1994/1995) - a record.
Made 7 century breaks in one match - a record.
First man to hold all four of the BBC major tournaments at the same time.

If all of the above doesn't equate to being the greatest player to have ever played the game, then I honestly don't know what does. A few of those records will go, of course, but I imagine the large majority of them will stay with Hendry for a long, long time to come.

A childhood sporting hero of mine has gone. And as I've got a little older my appreciation and admiration for Henry has never waned; a gentleman, never a hint of arrogance or big-headedness, always dignified in defeat and generous in victory and, in his younger days (and I'm lucky enough that I can just about remember them), a truly phenomenal standard of snooker, which I still don't think anyone has matched on a consistent basis.

What a champion. I'm genuinely sad at the thought of not seeing him competing anymore, but then again, it's not like he has anything left to prove and his impact on the game, not only in the new era of attack he helped to usher in but also the huge hand he's had in the emergence of Scotland as a major snooker power, has been immense.

Hope he enjoys his retirement, he's more than earned it.

88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 02 May 2012, 9:39 am

When you see his record laid out in front of you like that it's frightening. No doubt the greatest player to have ever played the game. Always a gent and in his prime he had a standard of play and level of consistency that was outrageous.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed 02 May 2012, 9:42 am

Undoubtably a legend of the game and his name will be remembered for many many years to come Very Happy
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by daraghj82 Wed 02 May 2012, 9:58 am

sad to see stephen retire, but i think the right one in the end. he has gone out on a high , after his max in R1 in his favourite venue. The GOAT is gone, long live the GOAT, thanks for the great memories

daraghj82

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Wed 02 May 2012, 10:06 am

Well said bbchris, billy. End of a massive era. Glad I didnt follow much of his form post 2000 as from what I saw in the 90s was breathtaking. The number of times he was on a tightrope in a frame and pulling out that must get long pot before clearing was a pleasure.

Havnt seen anyone so dominant in a sport, especially one with so much precision where mere millimetres can make or break a result.

True champion in every sense of the word.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed 02 May 2012, 10:17 am

Now that Hendry has retired, the commentators will use the word 'Hendryesq' for many shots i feel but as i said earlier the power split from the blue into the pack will remain his shot for as long as i watch snooker Smile
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 02 May 2012, 11:41 am

Such a loss to the game to see him retire.

Had he won an 8th title I would've put it up there with the Nicklaus Masters win in 1986. I think the crowd would've been behind him massively had he made the final.

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed 02 May 2012, 11:47 am

It was simply brilliant to see him knock in the 147 on day one. One of the great lasting memories Very Happy
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Wed 02 May 2012, 11:47 am

legendkillarV2 wrote:Such a loss to the game to see him retire.

Had he won an 8th title I would've put it up there with the Nicklaus Masters win in 1986. I think the crowd would've been behind him massively had he made the final.

Not really, if he had to play against Ronnie O'Sullivan in the World Final the crowd would more or less have been behind O'Sullivan even though Hendry would have been the massive underdog in that match.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed 02 May 2012, 11:58 am

You do realise that Hendry does have a massive fan base? Not everyone supports Ronnie. I have no understanding why you have to bring Ronnie up so often, even in Hendry's retirement thread.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 02 May 2012, 12:04 pm

gboycottnut wrote:

Not really, if he had to play against Ronnie O'Sullivan in the World Final the crowd would more or less have been behind O'Sullivan even though Hendry would have been the massive underdog in that match.

Hendry being in his 40's and nearing the end of his career. He was well loved in the 90's. I can't see how you think support for Ronnie would dwarf the support Hendry would get. In Hendry's decline a lot of people I know actually turned off from the game.

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 02 May 2012, 12:19 pm

Gboycottnut, has anyone ever told you that you're boring, mate?

This is a thread about Hendry's retirement and his contribution to the game of snooker. Take your slightly worrying, slobbering and obsessive man love for Ronnie elsewhere, if you insist on talking about the man you clearly wish was your lover.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Wed 02 May 2012, 12:20 pm

legendkillarV2 wrote:
gboycottnut wrote:

Hendry being in his 40's and nearing the end of his career. He was well loved in the 90's. I can't see how you think support for Ronnie would dwarf the support Hendry would get. In Hendry's decline a lot of people I know actually turned off from the game.

Well for many casual snooker followers, it seems they only support Ronnie, so therefore any such match between these 2 great players would have a bigger following in Ronnie's corner than in Stephen's corner.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed 02 May 2012, 12:25 pm

gboycottnut wrote: Well for many casual snooker followers, it seems they only support Ronnie, so therefore any such match between these 2 great players would have a bigger following in Ronnie's corner than in Stephen's corner.

Of one you seem to be. Proper snooker fans support a range of players and its proper snooker fans that attend these matches, not casual Ronnie snooker fans.

Hendry is one of the most popular snooker players out there and has a massive fan base, sadly you cannot see past Ronnie O'Sullivan to realise this.

Now can you no longer bring up Ronnie O'Sullivan on the Hendry retirement thread?
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Wed 02 May 2012, 12:29 pm

eirebilly wrote:
gboycottnut wrote: Well for many casual snooker followers, it seems they only support Ronnie, so therefore any such match between these 2 great players would have a bigger following in Ronnie's corner than in Stephen's corner.

Of one you seem to be. Proper snooker fans support a range of players and its proper snooker fans that attend these matches, not casual Ronnie snooker fans.

Hendry is one of the most popular snooker players out there and has a massive fan base, sadly you cannot see past Ronnie O'Sullivan to realise this.

Now can you no longer bring up Ronnie O'Sullivan on the Hendry retirement thread?

I am a proper snooker fan as I have followed the game fully since the early 1980's when guys like Alex Higgins, Jimmy White and Steve Davis ruled the game. I really can't believe that Hendry has a massive fan base as he even though he is the game's greatest ever winner, he truely was a dull person when he was the best player in the 1990's.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 02 May 2012, 12:32 pm

gboycottnut wrote:
legendkillarV2 wrote:
gboycottnut wrote:

Well for many casual snooker followers, it seems they only support Ronnie, so therefore any such match between these 2 great players would have a bigger following in Ronnie's corner than in Stephen's corner.

Not the case at all. Look at the momentum shift when Hendry defeated Higgins and spoke of the potential for an 8th title. There would've been so many eye brows raised purely because of how quiet and off the radar he was. Hendry for me remains the biggest name in snooker ever. He is the most destructive scorer there has been.

Hendry was one of the biggest names in sport in 1990's.

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed 02 May 2012, 12:34 pm

You spout so much waffle on here that i really think that you are the casual 'Wikipedia fact finding' supporter.

Hendry was exciting, he transformed the game and inspired many people to take up the game and support him. On the table he is focused but that does not mean that he was boring, he is actually a very funny guy.

Yes Hendry does have a massive fan base and YES he is a legend of the game and will be missed.

eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 02 May 2012, 12:38 pm

Not sure how you can call him boring. One of the best sights in the game was watching him compile a break. Just because he was a reserved character does not make him boring. Like billy said he was focused.

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Wed 02 May 2012, 12:38 pm

legendkillarV2 wrote:
gboycottnut wrote:
legendkillarV2 wrote:
gboycottnut wrote:

Not the case at all. Look at the momentum shift when Hendry defeated Higgins and spoke of the potential for an 8th title. There would've been so many eye brows raised purely because of how quiet and off the radar he was. Hendry for me remains the biggest name in snooker ever. He is the most destructive scorer there has been.

But this momentum shift you mention is only because the british public always love supporting the underdog in a sporting contest. And whilst Hendry was undoubtedly the king of snooker in the 1990's and was the player who I always wanted to win at that time, he never would have had more supporters in a match against someone like O'Sullivan.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Wed 02 May 2012, 12:39 pm

legendkillarV2 wrote:Not sure how you can call him boring. One of the best sights in the game was watching him compile a break. Just because he was a reserved character does not make him boring. Like billy said he was focused.

Well his face when he played in his prime said it all. He was what to snooker what Gordon Brown was to politics, i.e. a miserable dour-faced Scot.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed 02 May 2012, 12:41 pm

Look, i am not going to lower myself to you anymore. Hendry has a massive fan base of which i count myself one of.

You cant see that, fine, i dont care.

I am a little annoyed at myself for entering into this with you on a thread that is designed to recognise Hendry's retirement.

Thanks for the memories Stephen guinness
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 02 May 2012, 12:43 pm

gboycottnut wrote:
legendkillarV2 wrote:
gboycottnut wrote:
legendkillarV2 wrote:
gboycottnut wrote:

But this momentum shift you mention is only because the british public always love supporting the underdog in a sporting contest. And whilst Hendry was undoubtedly the king of snooker in the 1990's and was the player who I always wanted to win at that time, he never would have had more supporters in a match against someone like O'Sullivan.

Not at all. It makes up probably a quarter of the fanbase. Many in his corner would be snooker fans who remember such a force in the game and that he still had the class to compete. Remember that many fans who do not tune into the game would've re-kindled their interest if he had progressed further in the tournament.

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Wed 02 May 2012, 12:45 pm

eirebilly wrote:Look, i am not going to lower myself to you anymore. Hendry has a massive fan base of which i count myself one of.

You cant see that, fine, i dont care.

I am a little annoyed at myself for entering into this with you on a thread that is designed to recognise Hendry's retirement.

Thanks for the memories Stephen guinness

Well I don't want to get into any arguments with anyone either about Stephen Hendry's popularity etc. Anyway I like many other keen snooker followers am very saddened that Stephen has decided to retire from the game too early as he is still good enough to have played in a few more World Championships and other major ranking tournaments.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 02 May 2012, 12:45 pm

gboycottnut wrote:
legendkillarV2 wrote:Not sure how you can call him boring. One of the best sights in the game was watching him compile a break. Just because he was a reserved character does not make him boring. Like billy said he was focused.

Well his face when he played in his prime said it all. He was what to snooker what Gordon Brown was to politics, i.e. a miserable dour-faced Scot.

So Ronnie headbutting refs or hurling abuse at them or walking away from matches is what attracts the casual fan? He was muttering on about retiring to China? Hardily entertaining!!

Hendry was a class act and a class player.

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Wed 02 May 2012, 12:47 pm

legendkillarV2 wrote:
gboycottnut wrote:

So Ronnie headbutting refs or hurling abuse at them or walking away from matches is what attracts the casual fan? He was muttering on about retiring to China? Hardily entertaining!!

Hendry was a class act and a class player.

What does attract a casual fan to the game is Ronnie's entertaining style of playing the game and making it look ridiculously easy. I'm sure a lot of these casual fans don't know and even don't give a monkeys about Ronnie's antics away from a snooker table.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed 02 May 2012, 1:58 pm

I can tell you are a Ronnie fan and your posts are much like his persona - they command no respect.

O'Sullivan could win world titles from now up until he is 100 but he would still never have the respect that Steve Davis and Stephen Hendry will always hold in the game.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 02 May 2012, 3:08 pm

Stephen will go down as the greatest to have played the game.

The outpour of respect by his peers and fellow pro's suggest just how much in high regard he is held.

I doubt anyone will get near the 7 world championships he won.

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Wed 02 May 2012, 3:36 pm

I watched Hendry's interview in retirement, he seemed quite bitter about who he lost to, I really didn't want to see that. Obviously one of the greatest players, but came across as Mr High and Mighty. Very Happy
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Wed 02 May 2012, 7:33 pm

Another childhood sporting hero gone. Not sure why I was so taken with Hendry as I usually cheer on the underdogs, but he was a special talent that was hard to ignore. Was absolutely relentless in the 90s. My uncle used to call him 'The machine' and I think that was pretty apt. During his peak, if you gave him a sniff, the table would be cleared pretty soon after - especially at Sheffield.

I'll never forget his first 147 at the Crucible. Trying but failing to regain position on the colours. The blue and pink side by side and the fear of putting both in when sinking the blue. The difficult shot from pink to black - the cue ball ending up in the jaws of the right hand black pocket and then the tension of that immensely tight black. Slowly, slowly, he's sunk it. Epic snooker.

Then there was the Masters final (I think?) with Mark Williams. Hendry lost a load of frames in a row after being one frame away. Williams took the title after a pulsating game. Another great memory added even though it wasn't the right result for Hendry and his fans.

I fell out of love with the game once Hendry's form diminished into the new millennium. I guess his interest has gone now too. Shame, but not unexpected. True legend and his list of records will take some shifting.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Wed 02 May 2012, 8:01 pm

Started watching snooker by supporting whoever Hendry was against due to the latter's regular favourite tag (loved supporting the underdog back then). Now, years later, I was harbouring a slight hope he'd take home a legendary 8th title.

A real credit to the game, upsetting and unjust that his career had to go out on a low.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Wed 02 May 2012, 8:12 pm

upsetting and unjust that his career had to go out on a low.
He said it himself after the match he hadn't really been practising seriously.. so I guess he knew a heavy loss would come. It was easier for him to be spurred on against a 4 time champion (higgins) than a zero time champion (Maguire).
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by EdWoodjr Thu 03 May 2012, 2:12 pm

Steve Davis said not too long ago that he'd retire when his ranking number was higher than his age. Where is The Nugget in the ranking list ?

EdWoodjr

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Thu 03 May 2012, 10:10 pm

EdWoodjr wrote:Steve Davis said not too long ago that he'd retire when his ranking number was higher than his age. Where is The Nugget in the ranking list ?

I sense that Steve only said this because he was trying to be funny. Anyway Steve won't quit competing for the foreseeable future as he just loves playing the game even if he keeps on losing. That in essence is the major difference between Steve and Stephen Hendry. As John Higgins once summed up these 2 great legends of the game, Steve Davis loves Snooker whereas Stephen Hendry loves winning.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Fri 04 May 2012, 2:57 pm

Not sure what you are trying to get at gboycottnut. The John Higgins cliche merely points out Stephen's desire and hunger to win and not any less of a love of the game of snooker.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Fri 04 May 2012, 8:06 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:Not sure what you are trying to get at gboycottnut. The John Higgins cliche merely points out Stephen's desire and hunger to win and not any less of a love of the game of snooker.

What I am getting at is that Steve Davis plays the game because he loves playing it regardless of whether he wins or not, whereas with Stephen Hendry, although he does love playing the game like Steve, this love of the playing the game is very strongly driven by his great hunger and desire to win everytime and once it goes that's it as far as playing the game is concerned for him.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Fri 04 May 2012, 8:17 pm

You could look at it that way or that for Stephen he was just fed up getting beaten by players he knew in his prime he would have eaten for breakfast and so that being the case what is the point in carrying on when there is nothing to be gained. He has nothing more to prove in the sport so why bother continue losing to players you would have expected to beat in the past? No logic in that whatsoever is there?
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Fri 04 May 2012, 8:28 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:You could look at it that way or that for Stephen he was just fed up getting beaten by players he knew in his prime he would have eaten for breakfast and so that being the case what is the point in carrying on when there is nothing to be gained. He has nothing more to prove in the sport so why bother continue losing to players you would have expected to beat in the past? No logic in that whatsoever is there?

I think that had he not had the heavy business commitments in China, he may well have carried on playing in the main tour.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Fri 04 May 2012, 8:31 pm

No I don't think so. He did say he made his mind up about three months ago and was even rumours going around at the end of last year's world championships so it has been coming for some time.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by EdWoodjr Fri 04 May 2012, 8:36 pm

Josiah Maiestas wrote:I watched Hendry's interview in retirement, he seemed quite bitter about who he lost to, I really didn't want to see that. Obviously one of the greatest players, but came across as Mr High and Mighty. Very Happy

Stephen Hendry didn't cover himself in glory with comments made after a 9-0 hiding from Marcus Campbell in the 1998 UK Championship. 'He isn't a tournament winner' being one of them.
If I remember correctly Mark Johnston-Allen played Hendry 3 times in pro tournaments and won each time. After one of those defeats, a 5-0 pasting, Hendry commented to the press afterwards that he 'doesn't like losing to players who don't belong in the same room as him.'

Charming.

EdWoodjr

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 05 May 2012, 9:15 pm

Hello

Very Happy

Oh minions of the green baize; I, emancipator, shall reveal the truth as always.

Hendry's destruction of Doherty in the Master's final (?97) in which he made seven centuries in the 10 frames that he won is the single greatest performance by a snooker player ever. The most destructive potting and break building I have ever seen. As great as O'Sullivan is he could never match that level of consisent brilliance. He doesn't have the focus or the temperament.

I was never a fan of Stephen. In fact I couldn't stand him. But now I can finally admit that he is without doubt the greatest payer of the modern era, rivalled only by Steve Davis. In my opinion Davis at his peak was the more complete player, but Hendry was the better attacker and break-builder, albeit the faster cloths certainly contributed to that. Between 1990 and 1997 Stephen was immense. Any time he got a chance, even a half chance, you expected him to clear the table; most often he did. The standard of long potting and break building that he displayed in those years, imo, remains unmatched.

ghost

emancipator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next