The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who will win this years World Championship?

+16
Liam
Fernando
TwisT
Mike Selig
bretmeharty
Kenny
Good Golly I'm Olly
Nay
Josiah Maiestas
gboycottnut
Mad for Chelsea
Hibbz
eirebilly
CaledonianCraig
mystiroakey
The Special Juan
20 posters

Page 7 of 14 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10 ... 14  Next

Go down

Who do you think will win?

Who will win this years World Championship? - Page 7 Vote_lcap80%Who will win this years World Championship? - Page 7 Vote_rcap 80% 
[ 12 ]
Who will win this years World Championship? - Page 7 Vote_lcap13%Who will win this years World Championship? - Page 7 Vote_rcap 13% 
[ 2 ]
Who will win this years World Championship? - Page 7 Vote_lcap7%Who will win this years World Championship? - Page 7 Vote_rcap 7% 
[ 1 ]
Who will win this years World Championship? - Page 7 Vote_lcap0%Who will win this years World Championship? - Page 7 Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 15

Who will win this years World Championship? - Page 7 Empty Who will win this years World Championship?

Post by Guest Fri 04 May 2012, 7:28 pm

First topic message reminder :

First topic message reminder :

Who's your favourite for this years title ?

One of the seeds ? Or will it be a qualifier ?

We're down to the last 4, so let us know who you think will finally clinch it.

Back to top Go down

Who will win this years World Championship? - Page 7 Empty Re: Who will win this years World Championship?

Post by eirebilly Sat 05 May 2012, 3:57 pm

Apparently not many of the players get along with Alli. Not sure why, he seems like a decent chap in interviews.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Who will win this years World Championship? - Page 7 Empty Re: Who will win this years World Championship?

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sat 05 May 2012, 3:57 pm

And...Maguire tries to screw back for a thin pot in the middle. Very stupid. Sad
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 05 May 2012, 3:58 pm

Josiah Maiestas wrote:
eirebilly wrote:Carter is playing much better than he was in 08 Josiah, i think that he could match Ronnie. It wont be a hiding.
Carter has been very strong at times in these 2 weeks so far, credit to him. Ronnie will take a 5-3 or 6-2 lead 1st session on him, then just steadily carry it on. Only Selby, Trump or Higgins for me could take on Ronnie.

I dont know to be honest. I think that Alli has a real determination about him this year as well. That said, i doubt that he has the gears to go up like Ronnie does.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sat 05 May 2012, 3:59 pm

eirebilly wrote:Apparently not many of the players get along with Alli. Not sure why, he seems like a decent chap in interviews.
Him being a pilot probably means he doesn't have much time to socoialise with the others. Maguire doesnt really get on with many others himself, except Higgins and Dotty.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 05 May 2012, 4:02 pm

I would honestly not be suprised if Alli retired after these worlds as well.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Sat 05 May 2012, 4:02 pm

Very good yellow from Maguire, should seal the frame.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sat 05 May 2012, 4:02 pm

Lovely cueing there, Stephen, least youve won 1 frame in the final session!
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 05 May 2012, 4:02 pm

Unless he wins that is Wink
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sat 05 May 2012, 4:05 pm

He might retire on a high?
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Sat 05 May 2012, 4:06 pm

strange choice of shot again from Mags there, was never going to have enough pace to open up the reds...

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 05 May 2012, 4:09 pm

True TSC, it can happen but if he wins i think that he will return to defend his titel.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sat 05 May 2012, 4:11 pm

Great long pot Mag. Beauty chance to win frame from here!
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 05 May 2012, 4:14 pm

If Mags wins the 7 frames in a row to win this match then i would be amazed.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sat 05 May 2012, 4:14 pm

Maguire might attack that right middle.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sat 05 May 2012, 4:15 pm

AHhh, Maguire again misses to the centre pocket. Good enough lead though
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sat 05 May 2012, 4:16 pm

Another beauty long pot! Mags is finding a bit of motivation now.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sat 05 May 2012, 4:17 pm

16:12, probably delaying the inevitable.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Sat 05 May 2012, 4:17 pm

So Maguire's missed red doesn't cost him, and it's 16-12. You'd still fancy Carter, but...

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sat 05 May 2012, 4:21 pm

Have a feeling Maguire will win the next frame after interval, but then Carter will get over the line 17:13.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 05 May 2012, 4:34 pm

That was a really nice piece on Hendry and White Very Happy
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sat 05 May 2012, 4:43 pm

eirebilly wrote:That was a really nice piece on Hendry and White Very Happy
White certainly blew 2 WC's to his arch rival. Sad
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 05 May 2012, 4:44 pm

Beautiful cueing from Mags but way too good.

Allie is in and this looks like the chance that will see him to the final.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sat 05 May 2012, 4:50 pm

Ali clap
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 05 May 2012, 4:51 pm

Well donr Carter clap
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sat 05 May 2012, 4:51 pm

All over!!!!!!!!!

Can't argue with the winner, lead from the word go and will make 2nd final appearance. Very Happy
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 05 May 2012, 5:05 pm

With Ebdon in Carters corner he looks a lot more Solid. He will be difficult to beat in the final.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sat 05 May 2012, 5:07 pm

He has a grindability factor now.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Sat 05 May 2012, 5:11 pm

eirebilly wrote:With Ebdon in Carters corner he looks a lot more Solid. He will be difficult to beat in the final.

He may have Ebdon in his corner but he is still going to face a huge task in the Final playing against a Ronnie O'Sullivan who is back in form.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 05 May 2012, 5:43 pm

gboycottnut wrote:
eirebilly wrote:With Ebdon in Carters corner he looks a lot more Solid. He will be difficult to beat in the final.

He may have Ebdon in his corner but he is still going to face a huge task in the Final playing against a Ronnie O'Sullivan who is back in form.

You should work as Ronnies Publicist Wink
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sat 05 May 2012, 8:35 pm

First of all (just in from work) and I see we got the results that looked likely. Well done to Ronnie and Ali as both merit their place in the final.

I can't help but feel that both semis were so one-sided they ended up damp squibs and I have to feel that the reason a lot of the big guns have been disappointing at The Crucible due to burn-outs due to the new schedules and more tournaments per season. Ronnie has been canny and avoided playing in a few tournaments and benifitted I think and I feel more of the top players have to do the same. Ali's illness as well has meant he has missed a few tournies so is pretty fresh. If we look at players we'd normally think as strong challengers for the title there are signs of burn out. Even JP felt John Higgins looked tired from the outset whilst Selby had a neck injury. Thoughts?
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sat 05 May 2012, 8:48 pm

You know, you might be on to something here. I think you're right with all the top players having burn outs except Higgins, who I think will retire sooner than later. He's not got much left to accomplish.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Sun 06 May 2012, 2:19 am

You have a point, but IMO it is more a case of adapting to the new schedule taking a bit of time rather than the new schedule being too demanding. IMO snooker has had it "easy" for too long, compared with most other (similar) sports and the number of playing days was quite ridiculously low: I can't think of any others where you can make a living based on competing in what 9 weeks a year?

I understand the argument about families etc. but again, look at other sports like tennis or cricket or even golf: how long do those athletes spend away from their families? It is a commitment you have to make I'm afraid. In any case sport is essentially a young person's game, once you get older you lose your alignment, have other commitments, spend less time on the practice table etc.

One of the human being's greatest qualities is the ability to adapt: I have no doubt snooker players will find a way to adapt to the new, more punishing schedule. This may be that some pick and choose which tournaments they play in (like some tennis players do), some may find a way to play all tournaments, some may choose to play different tournaments in different styles (e.g. Selby may play all-out attack in some of the shorter formats). This may lead to a drop in standards (if people only play their A game at the crucible, then their A game will be less good), which is probably inevitable and maybe a compromise that needs to be made.

On Stephen Hendry: the retirement of a great champion, and a real winner, which is rare. I can see where people are coming from calling him boring, in the sense that Barcelona's football is boring, or Djokovic's tennis is boring: it was well oiled, mechanical, and error-free. It was however also fabulously, relentlessly attacking and quite brilliant. True fans should be able to appreciate this.

I agree to some extent with Gboycott: there is no doubt he has gained quite a few fans since becoming less good, as the british in particular but fans in general dislike a winner (and usually call him "arrogant" - confusing arrogant with confident in his ability) and like a cornered underdog fighting against the odds. Witness the sudden wave of sympathy for Chelsea after an awful season, the constant wish for a "strong West Indies" cricket side (whilst the great Aussie side of the 2000s was universally loathed), etc. Listen to any commentator on a match in which he is meant to be impartial: more often than not sympathy is shown to the underdog, the favourite is analysed more critically. Hendry no doubt had a strong fan-base even whilst he was winning; but no doubt also that he has gained a significant number of fans since.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 06 May 2012, 7:24 am

Of course players will need to adapt but mentally and physically (with travelling the globe) players previouslly were akin to say a 10,000 metres runner being thrust into a marathon runner so they need time to adapt. Ronnie has managed his schedule wisely and very well and it has shown in this tournament as has the work done with a psychologist made improvements. Ali has also scaled back his tournies because of his Crohne's Disease so he hasn't had burn-out problems. For next year I'd suggest other players follow suit if they want to arrive at The Crucible in prime condition.

As for the final today and tomorrow I can only see Ronnie winning by around 18-10 but hope Ali can give us a great final. He'll win his share of scrappy, tactical frames but can he win enough frames in one visit - I doubt it.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 06 May 2012, 8:19 am

So its ali osullivan. how would have guessed that.. oh yeah only me Smile

Carter had proven to be an exeptional grinder(i hate the term matchplay in snooker it means nothing)

I do like the points some have made in regards to the fresher players.. the two in the final havehad other issues to deal with therefore there priorities over the past two years have been very different to the average fit in mind body and soul player.

I hope many of you will soften on osullivan because win this event or loose this event he had been a credit to our game

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Sun 06 May 2012, 8:23 am

According to the poll only one person thinks Ali will win .
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 06 May 2012, 8:32 am

Well i think he will make a final.of it and he has a chance. however if odds on osullivan wins playing almost unbeatable snooker. got to say his timing in two final years has been unlucky.. i feel he is a better player and played at a higher competitive level than a few other single past winners..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Sun 06 May 2012, 8:36 am

Carter will need a good start thats for sure , if Ronnie gets a 3-4 frame lead i dont think he will let it go . Just hoping its a decent final and not a one sided affair .
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 06 May 2012, 8:45 am

i cant see past a 4-4 5-3 either way first session. but i feel if ronnie lets loose 2nd session he will take a good lead there(as he hs been all week). However no other player has been able to grind like carter. therefor i wouldnt back agsinst him coming from behind. all the same i have ronnie as a good fav..

Excuse the android posting

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Sun 06 May 2012, 8:51 am

Yes i think the opening session will be tight , i just have a feeling Ali may stiffel Ronnie and frustrate him into a few mistakes .

The one person who voted for Carter was me , although i wouldn't mind seeing Ronnie win either .
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 06 May 2012, 9:49 am

good call, and i think he has a shot.. Ronnie has seemed so relaxed mid game(2nd session) and has played his natural game in that session- it does make sense the second session as the pressure is off.. if he takes it out 7-1 it could be game over- however he hasnt come up against Ali yet who in fairness has looked menatlly infalable on the table even though he has made alot of gestures sitting down..

Ronnie has been getting slightly cagey in the first sessions or the last session and perhaps over thinking shots with shot to nothings, yet when he is on fire he just commits to potting balls.

If anyone can get ronnie frustrated its ali carter- and that is because he is naturally that sort of player.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sun 06 May 2012, 10:35 am

Script has been written. Carter will make a better of fight it than in 2008, but he will still be short. Something like 18-13 would be the expected result. Ali doesn't have the weapons that would scare Ronnie.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun 06 May 2012, 10:44 am

I think that Ronnie will win by at least 6 frames but it will still be a good match Very Happy

I am still struggling find where this apparent Ronnie hate is... Headscratch
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 06 May 2012, 11:12 am

there was alot last week, so if your struggling maybe you need to see a doc about your memory. Personally i think i have turned it around and made the place more balanced..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun 06 May 2012, 11:19 am

[quote="mystiroakey"] there was alot last week, so if your struggling maybe you need to see a doc about your memory. [quote]

Everyone has acknowledged Ronnies skill. Some, including myself, have had a go at his fans but everyone recognises his talent. I am not sure where you get this from? I am also unsure why you need to feel the need to personally insult me at every given opportunity.

mystiroakey wrote:Personally i think i have turned it around and made the place more balanced..

I am sorry but WHAT? Headscratch

Last edited by eirebilly on Sun 06 May 2012, 11:23 am; edited 2 times in total
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun 06 May 2012, 11:20 am

He's at it again Rolling Eyes

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/snooker/17972505
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun 06 May 2012, 11:22 am

However he did say good things about his opponent which is nice to see.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sun 06 May 2012, 11:23 am

However he did say good things about his opponent which is nice to see.
"Sending Ali back to his sad life in Essex" Very Happy
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun 06 May 2012, 11:24 am

Laugh Watching nothing but Towie for the next few years.

The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun 06 May 2012, 11:43 am

I actually think that under the watchful eye of Ebdon that Carter has been playing the best 'matchplay' snooker of the tournement. I doubt that he will be as weak a competition as in 08.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun 06 May 2012, 12:56 pm

Apparently:

TRegardless of world ranking (unless it's 1 or 2), the world champion is ranked 2nd in all events all season next season. Therefore, no qualifying will be necessary for the whole season.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 14 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10 ... 14  Next