The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Replacement Driver Shaft

+2
LondonJonnyO
davesrighthere
6 posters

Go down

Replacement Driver Shaft Empty Replacement Driver Shaft

Post by davesrighthere Mon 04 Apr 2011, 11:01 am

Any recommendations as to where I can get a replacement shaft for my TaylorMade R9 driver.
I'm just after a standard stiff shaft, nothing off the beaten track.

I was just leaning on it, after I took my shot Saturday morning, then crack. It broke about 6" from the bottom.
This initiated some p*ss take in the pub that night, something about me being not as light as I thought I were.

Cheers
Dave

davesrighthere

Back to top Go down

Replacement Driver Shaft Empty Re: Replacement Driver Shaft

Post by LondonJonnyO Mon 04 Apr 2011, 11:07 am

Take it to the place you bought it and they will send it back to Taylormade for replacement.

if it's faulty it's free. If not expect a hundred quid or so.

If you want something special then you'll have to visit a clubfitter of some sort.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Mon 04 Apr 2011, 11:22 am

Dave take it to a local club fitter and he'll put you a shaft on that fits you properly. By the sound of it you need a mop handle Very Happy

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Mon 04 Apr 2011, 1:09 pm

Doc wrote:Dave take it to a local club fitter and he'll put you a shaft on that fits you properly. By the sound of it you need a mop handle Very Happy

Nah Doc, a scaffolding pole by the sounds of it laughing

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Mon 04 Apr 2011, 1:31 pm

drive4show wrote:
Doc wrote:Dave take it to a local club fitter and he'll put you a shaft on that fits you properly. By the sound of it you need a mop handle Very Happy

They are quite large at the butt end. I recommend less tape under the grip to keep things consistent with your old shaft.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by ronin47 Mon 04 Apr 2011, 2:01 pm

or you could try it yourself 8)

Its easy enough to find a decent shaft on ebay,
and the bits and pieces to fit it to the club head.

The hardest bit is getting the old one out, I use
a drill and wire brushes.

One of the best drivers I've ever had,
was a Taylormade R7 Quad kiss with an Aldila VS Proto
that I'd fitted myself.

But sadly, managed to crack the face, so moved on
to the R7 Superquad

ronin47
ronin47
ronin47

http://www.waterproofgolfjackets.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Mon 04 Apr 2011, 2:23 pm

buying a shaft on ebay is dodgy. You don't know whether the extraction has been performed properly. Or what tipping has been performed. There is also the question of the shaft being appropriate for your game and lots of other things.

unless you know what you're doing ebay shaft purchases can be very hit and miss.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon 04 Apr 2011, 2:34 pm

LondonJonnyO wrote:buying a shaft on ebay is dodgy. You don't know whether the extraction has been performed properly. Or what tipping has been performed. There is also the question of the shaft being appropriate for your game and lots of other things.

unless you know what you're doing ebay shaft purchases can be very hit and miss.

Don't buy a tipped shaft that's been pulled then! Plenty of new ones available but I agree about a shaft not being a decent fit for you unless you know what you're after. That said, most of the time it doesn't matter that much unless you're buying something exotic.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Mon 04 Apr 2011, 2:38 pm

Except that in the case of pulled shafts a lot of people don't list the tipping performed.

New is different however.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by davesrighthere Mon 04 Apr 2011, 2:54 pm

drive4show wrote:

Thanks, I put up with all this on Saturday night. Use to it now. censored

Think I'll use my old Callaway 460 for a few weeks and think about where I want to go with this.

Any chance of a mini poll (or suggestions) on what kind of flight path you guys like to achieve?

I noticed with the old Callaway (with a regular shaft) it's starts low then shoots straight up, then just drops out of the sky (though a great thing to watch) doesn't produce roll-on. I believe this is an example of over-powering the club. The R9 (Stiff shaft) takes on a more rainbow shape flight, this obviously is more conducive for roll-on. I have a swing speed of 105mph.
Watching pros go about their business, they seems to be able to get have a flight somewhere between these two, which looks more penetrative.
Any thoughts?

Cheers again.

davesrighthere

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Mon 04 Apr 2011, 3:01 pm

The low launch, high spin flight you are describing with the callaway is a big no-no for yardage. That type of flight is indicative of a poor match between shaft kick, flex, bend profile, torque and the clubhead for your swingspeed. And with the impact speed you are describing a regular (in what I imagine is around a 8 or 9 degree club) is really not going to do you any favours.

The rainbow flight you are describing for the other club is ideal in terms of distance and is what they look for on the launch monitors.

That said I don't like that flight. It just seems weak. I prefer to hit it on a very flat profile if possible. But that happens far too infrequently. That said I am starting to get hold of the ball properly again. And I'm getting that flat upwards flight again with no ballooning. And I'm starting to get some yardage as a result.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by davesrighthere Mon 04 Apr 2011, 3:17 pm

Thanks LJ.
I share your view about the rainbow flight. Tis does seem weak. And a very unsatisfying thing to watch.

davesrighthere

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Mon 04 Apr 2011, 3:21 pm

Thing is that unless you are very powerful the rainbow flight is the most efficient.

But at 105mph you should be able to find a combination that gives you something flatter.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down