The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Aussie call-ups

+7
RubyGuby
Full Credit
Imperialbigdave
maestegmafia
boomeranga
Morgannwg
welsh-matfield
11 posters

Go down

New Aussie call-ups Empty New Aussie call-ups

Post by welsh-matfield Mon 14 May 2012, 12:32 am

I was wondering if any of our 606v2 australians could give us an insight of who they think might deserve a call up to australian squad for the summer. From watching some super rugby games, i could see Jesse Mogg (brumbies full-back) being a contendor. Michael hooper (the brumbies flanker) also looks a handy prospect. and outside bet. Any others?

welsh-matfield

Back to top Go down

New Aussie call-ups Empty Re: New Aussie call-ups

Post by Morgannwg Mon 14 May 2012, 12:34 am

Rod Davies.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by boomeranga Mon 14 May 2012, 5:32 am

Wales-Matfield,

We're set to play both Scotland and Wales in the first week of the upcoming tests so I expect there to be quite a few new names mixed through the two named teams. We may have to wait for the second test v Wales to know what is viewed as our true 1st XV at this point. I think the back five of the pack needs refreshing, and injuries mean the back line will need a restock as well. The below are those in contention for me, with the bolded names the stronger options. Keep in mind that Robbie Deans isnt always easy to second guess, and I'm usually wrong.

Props: Dan Palmer (Brumbies)
Hooker: James Hansen (Reds)
Lock : Hugh Pyle (Rebels), Kane Douglas (Waratahs), Scott Fardy and Sam Carter (Brums)
Blindside: Dave Dennis (Waratahs), Luke Jones (Rebels),
Openside: Michael Hooper (Brums);
Number 8: Ben Mowen (Brums), Fotu Aluelua (Brums)
Scrum Half: Nicolas White (Brums),
Flyhalf: Ben Lucas (Reds),
Midfield: Mike Harris (Reds), Andrew Smith (Brums), Scott Cummins (Force)
Wing: Dominic Shipperley (Reds), Joe Tomane (Brums), Tom Kingston (Waratahs)
Fullback: Jessie Mogg (Brums), Luke Morahan (Reds), Bernard Foley (Waratahs)

Lealiifano would have been picked in the squad but for a bad injury he sustained. Liam Gill is the named captain for the JWC, so he wont be available at this stage.

Since opening my mouth to rule out Drew Mitchell, Quade and JOC on another thread, there is also talk of them being available. Mitchell has gone on tour of SA with the Waratahs so may get enough games in to build a case for himself. I think the clock is against JOC and QC playing v you guys.

boomeranga

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 14 May 2012, 8:06 am

Some interesting prospects... Good week in the S15 for the Ozzies, Rebels beating 'Saders, Reds smashed Chiefs, Tah's unlucky at home against Bulls.

Plenty of talent in Oz. Playing some good rugby. Wales have got a tough examination down under. But that is exactly what we want.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Mon 14 May 2012, 11:10 am

Morgannwg wrote:Rod Davies.

Didnt Rocket Rod play in that game against samoa and got made tuilagis biatch?
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Mon 14 May 2012, 11:41 am

I don't know. From what I have seen of him for the Reds he's been on fire. That was a few weeks ago though, maybe I think he might be injured now.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Full Credit Mon 14 May 2012, 11:50 am

I take it the Rod Davies remark was a joke, he shouldn't even be in the Reds line-up let alone the Wallabies.

I can't imagine Mitchell, JOC or Quade will get much game time in the June internationals if any, they'll be too underdone. Digby, Tomane, Shipperly and Mogg should provide enough cover at the back.

Full Credit

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 14 May 2012, 11:52 am

The way the injuries are mounting up I can see a centre pairing of Rolf Harris and Dame Edna thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Mon 14 May 2012, 12:11 pm

Fair enough, I thought Rod Davies looked pretty good. So what could the Aus backline be, something along the lines of:

9. Genia
10. Barnes
11. Ioane
12. Horne/McCabe
13. Faingaa
14. .....
15. Adam Ashley-Cooper

Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Mon 14 May 2012, 12:43 pm

AAC at 13 surely.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Mon 14 May 2012, 12:52 pm

who would play full back? He played there during the world cup and twice against us. He has been playing there for Brumbies.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Full Credit Mon 14 May 2012, 2:10 pm

I wouldn't have Barnes or Horne anywhere near the Wallabies side. Neither have been in any sort of form all season. Barnes just kicks aimlessly when he's not throwing wayward passes and Horne is a shadow of his former self. The Waratah backline of Pretorius, Barnes, AAC, and Horne look completely impotent. It's hard to get a backline going when the ball takes forever to get from 9 to 10, then 10 throws it behind 12 who gets caught 5 metres behind the gain line.

McCabe has been in really good nick this season so they'll probably have him and Faingaa or AAC in the centres.

Full Credit

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Mon 14 May 2012, 2:14 pm

Well things don't sound too good for Australia right now... As you know we'll be without Roberts. AWJ and Evans, two of the best players in Wales right now will be unavailable for the first test. We are unsure of Warburton and question marks still hanging over the fitness of Scott Williams and JD. No backup TH for Adam Jones and no fly-half has been good enough to make the 10 jersey their own.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Full Credit Mon 14 May 2012, 2:43 pm

It's no so much that things are looking bad for Australia, it's just that some of the old heads haven't been performing. We've got great depth in certain positions (locks and backrowers, wingers, 9's) and next to none in others, especially at 10 given all the injuries. Beale looks a cert to start there which might bring someone fresh like Mogg in at fullback who's capable of moments of brilliance. I think Dom Shipperly on the wing would do well in the gold jersey if given a chance. Depending how Deans sees it our backline could have some real balance to it this year.

Full Credit

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 14 May 2012, 3:06 pm

who would play full back?

Kurtley Beale. He's not injured is he? Think he's been playing 10 what with Cips released and JOC injured.

Tom Carter at centre maybe? I watch Super 15 sporadically but I've seen him a couple of times and he looks a powerful option.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by MonkeyOwain12 Tue 15 May 2012, 3:45 am

Carter is the worst professional rugby player I have ever seen!!!
And that includes Matt Cardey...

Both teams will be strong and both have some exciting prospects to bring in. Beale at 10 has been great in the last two weeks and people like Shipperly genuinely look like they could step up. Plus Digby is back and McCabe is going well...

Is Speight Aussie qualified? The Brumbies back three look very good going forward.

MonkeyOwain12

Back to top Go down

Post by Full Credit Tue 15 May 2012, 6:07 am

If you need a bum slapped or a bloke sledged then Tom Carter's your man.

I believe Speight is eligible for Aus, I think I read somewhere that he has aspirations of making the Wallabies.

Full Credit

Back to top Go down

Post by boomeranga Tue 15 May 2012, 7:36 am

FC - how do you think Morahan is going? At the start of the year I was hoping he or Lance would be forcing their way into team, but he had been taking a bit of criticism around the the place.

And what about Simmons?

boomeranga

Back to top Go down

Post by Full Credit Tue 15 May 2012, 9:16 am

Morahan strikes me as being dependable without being brilliant. He looked solid on the weekend and could probably step up without letting anyone down. I'm still a bit bemused / relieved that the touchie 'didn't get a number' on that tip tackle of his on Money-Bill despite it happening right in front of him.

I don't know when Lance is due back from injury but the Reds backline looks vastly improved with Lucas back in there. I'm still not sure about Simmons, he does some good work around the pitch but I'd like to see him bulk up a bit more to have some real impact. Gill is a future star in the making.

Full Credit

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 15 May 2012, 10:09 am

Beale has surprised me with how good he's been at 10.

Full back is definitely a problem though - all of your options are either completely inconsistent or very, very inexperienced.

I would also rather Ashley-Cooper was at 13. At least he can break a line.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down