The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who can fill Hatton's void????

+26
Steffan
Strongback
horizontalhero
Gordy
milkyboy
manos de piedra
Soldier_Of_Fortune
Josef K.
Nico the gman
ShahenshahG
AlexHuckerby
BoxingFan88
alfredperami
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
tcribb
KingMonkey
azania
TopHat24/7
Mind the windows Tino.
lfc91
Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake
Rowley
88Chris05
Union Cane
Sugar Floyd Louis
TRUSSMAN66
30 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Who can fill Hatton's void???? Empty Who can fill Hatton's void????

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 17 May 2012, 10:03 am

Since I've been here only a few fighters have caught the Pubic's imagination...........Bruno.........Hamed......Benn....Eubank........and Hatton.......

Lennox because he fought so often abroad never really reached the heights of these guys for me in carrying the public's interest!!

For me Hatton's retirement seems to have created a void in the hero stakes over here!!!

and i just can't see who's going to become the kind of star he was and fill it!!!!!!

Exciting......Charismatic.......top p4per... and a sort of working-class-hero-type that seemed to have the Country behind him..

Anybody you can see working up this kind of hysteria???

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Who can fill Hatton's void???? Empty Re: Who can fill Hatton's void????

Post by Sugar Floyd Louis Thu 17 May 2012, 10:06 am

Amir Khan Run

Sugar Floyd Louis

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Floyd Louis Thu 17 May 2012, 10:07 am

In all honesty, it'll be a very very long time, I'm not sure why Froch didn't tick all the boxes, arguably the second best in his division, exciting style... maybe it's the sly arrogance.

Sugar Floyd Louis

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Thu 17 May 2012, 10:13 am

Bruno - big, lovable, a trier but just short of top class. Haye or Chisora will never garner that kind of affection, the nearest we have is Fury, but he seems to divide opinion. Entertaining yes, but pretty hopeless.

Channel 5 are hoping that Kid Galahad will turn out to be the next Hamed, and Galahad seems to believe them, but I just can't see it happening.

Benn and Eubank wouldn't have been half as popular without their rivalry, they needed each other in a way. Could Groves & Degale develop along the same lines? Perhaps.

As for the next Hatton? Here's one for you, Ricky Burns. If only he had a bit of something about him.

Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 17 May 2012, 10:19 am

Groves has the telegenic personality and the common touch, but perhaps not the pound for pound ability you mention, as well as having to contend with (currently) being hidden away on BoxNation.

Haye had all the ingredients to carry the torch in Hatton's absence, but not really feeling inclined to box, his many PR disasters and his non-performance against Wladimir have doused that particular fire.

Froch has come to the attention of the wider audience a little too late in the day. Quigg and Frampton are campaigning in the weight classes which seldom set the public's heart racing, and there are still question marks with regards to the level they'll eventually settle at.

It all points to Brook being the most likely candidate, outside of Khan - another reason why we should all keep our fingers crossed for a fight between the two of them in the next couple of years. Brook's not a great personality, or a particularly engaging one, but he is lavishly gifted and has the talent to be a top pound for pound operator, much like Hatton was in his (albeit brief) pomp. He's also building up a large following, has the Hearn team at Matchroom (who are continually consolidating their position in the sport with impressive results) behind him, and has the 'Kid from the school of hard knocks done good' angle for the likes of The Sun to work.

Not sure there's anyone on the immediate horizon to fill Hatton's boots, but if there is, then it's Brook.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 17 May 2012, 10:26 am

There is a young light heavy called Frankie Buglioni or something similar who has just turned pro who could become massive. I saw him in an amateur fight in Sheffield when he was half attached to the elite squad and even as an amateur he was wildly exciting to watch and the rumours are he has carried this style and some power into the pro game. The only worry was as an amateur he did not get out of the way of too much so may limit his chances as a pro.

Other than him Brook can already draw 10,000 in Sheffield which considering he has not fought for a world title yet is no mean feat, but as Chris has alluded to he is not a particularly engaging personality but that has not held him back thus far. However do feel Hatton is just one of those kind of inexplicable things where the planets align and someone attracts support way beyond what is normal, suspect if we are comparing guys to Ricky support wise many guys may be considered to fall short in years to come

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Thu 17 May 2012, 10:28 am

rowley wrote:However do feel Hatton is just one of those kind of inexplicable things where the planets align and someone attracts support way beyond what is normal, suspect if we are comparing guys to Ricky support wise many guys may be considered to fall short in years to come

Have to agree there, the whole Man City thing obviously played a massive part as well.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 17 May 2012, 10:31 am

True Union but don't feel that is enough of a reason, Hatton is far from the first fighter to express his love for a football club, Gavin is certainly not shy in expressing his love for Birmingham, nor Mitchell West Ham and neither can come close to drawing Hatton's crowds, Hatton could take more to Vegas (most without a chance of getting into the fight) than those guys can draw in their home town.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake Thu 17 May 2012, 10:40 am

I'd say Brook. He's got the skills and the personality.

Khan is dislikeable, though better management could probably improve his image. I'm not sure how he's viewed in the US.

Quigg and Crolla have the personality to endear them to the public, but they'd probably need to move up in weight class to get the kind of fights that would really garner supporters.

With a bit more promotion Afolabi could get a lot of support. He's a real character outside the ring. The fact that he's hardly ever fought in Britain is probably the biggest barrier so far to wider public appeal.

Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake

Back to top Go down

Post by lfc91 Thu 17 May 2012, 10:46 am

Does no-one think they will try to use eubanks fame to catapult eubank jnr to stardom? Not a bad boxer either. Slightly unrelated to the topic but i just had to get this out, does no-one else find it annoying that they spend more time talking to eubank snr in interviews rather than his so whos doing the fighting!

lfc91

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 17 May 2012, 10:48 am

lfc91 wrote: does no-one else find it annoying that they spend more time talking to eubank snr in interviews rather than his so whos doing the fighting!

not sure it's intentional, just think Senior takes 20 minutes to answer every question.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by lfc91 Thu 17 May 2012, 10:51 am

Suppose its because hes only had 4 fights, the longer he goes on the more he will branch out on his own.

lfc91

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 17 May 2012, 11:12 am

David Price would have half a chance if he fought more often. The city of Liverpool has the capacity to get behind their sports people and they could really get excited about a hard punching heavyweight who may have some vulnerabilities himself.

He needs to get out there a bit more though.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 17 May 2012, 11:13 am

lfc91 wrote:Does no-one think they will try to use eubanks fame to catapult eubank jnr to stardom? Not a bad boxer either. Slightly unrelated to the topic but i just had to get this out, does no-one else find it annoying that they spend more time talking to eubank snr in interviews rather than his so whos doing the fighting!

Eubanks Jr would be my pick. Not an immediate fix but he's exciting to watch, has a high-profile trainer and is being matched well. He also has that arrogance of his father - did anyone see that pose he pulled after his last TKO win?? Sublime Smile

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 17 May 2012, 11:33 am

Eubank Jnr needs to carve out his own niche. He can't live off his old man forever. Soon people will catch onto it and being a very fickle public, negative publicity will follow, even if he delivers.

I fear that even if Khan shuts up and delivers more FOTY, many will still dislike him.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Thu 17 May 2012, 11:48 am

If Price can get the scousers fully behind him he stands a chance, after all he has all the tools to dominate that division if he times his run well.

Groves definitely could as well but Boxnation threatens to hide him away from the public eye.

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by tcribb Thu 17 May 2012, 12:02 pm

Apart from most have already stated, Tony Jeffries had the personality and the fanatical football support here in the North East. However a combination of of ability/ not fulfulling potential, Tony has seemed to disappear off our shores. Watched him many times as an amateur and attracted a lot of fans, spoe to him on a few occasion and seemed like a genuine kid, had the marketability but perhaps im afraid to say not the ring savy to get the juices flowing.
tcribb
tcribb

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Thu 17 May 2012, 12:13 pm

Kid Galahad for me. He has the ability, He has a flashy style that TV loves, he has the looks and he has terrestrial TV behind him. Like Chris pointed out about Brook he has the troubled kid come good which the Sun will absolutely love. I think a couple of his brothers are in prison.

He's been overlooked at his weight because of Quigg and Frampton but he would box rings round both imo.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 17 May 2012, 12:26 pm

SugarRayRussell (PBK) wrote:Kid Galahad for me. He has the ability, He has a flashy style that TV loves, he has the looks and he has terrestrial TV behind him. Like Chris pointed out about Brook he has the troubled kid come good which the Sun will absolutely love. I think a couple of his brothers are in prison.

He's been overlooked at his weight because of Quigg and Frampton but he would box rings round both imo.

The kid is good, but he lacks a punch to detract those at the highest level. Plus I dont know how physically strong he is. Very skillful boxer with a wonderful variety of punches. He reminds me of Colin McMillan.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by alfredperami Thu 17 May 2012, 12:36 pm

looking at what has come out today not pac man
alfredperami
alfredperami

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 17 May 2012, 12:38 pm

SugarRayRussell (PBK) wrote:Kid Galahad for me. He has the ability, He has a flashy style that TV loves, he has the looks and he has terrestrial TV behind him. Like Chris pointed out about Brook he has the troubled kid come good which the Sun will absolutely love. I think a couple of his brothers are in prison.

There's nothing the public likes more though, than a knockout. And the lack of them will taint Kid's career and marketability in my opinion. Feather-fisted just doesn't get the average punter excited.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Thu 17 May 2012, 12:41 pm

azania wrote:

The kid is good, but he lacks a punch to detract those at the highest level. Plus I dont know how physically strong he is. Very skillful boxer with a wonderful variety of punches. He reminds me of Colin McMillan.

He will always be compared to Nas just like Brook is which is unfair Nas was a one off. Apart from Donaire their isn't many big hitters at the weight. Guys like Nishioka and Mares have decent power but nothing special. They don't have this kids variety and speed

He is still only 22 so he has still to grow into his man strength it may not improve his punch power that much but it will make him a physically more of a commanding presence in the ring.

He has another advantage over a lot of the other prospects in this country that shouldn't be overlooked and that is Old man Ingle. I'm not that impressed with some of the other trainers in this country like Farnell, Gallacher and McDonnell. They have top prospects but I'm not sure they are up to the job.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 17 May 2012, 1:33 pm

There's something about you brits who love the loveable fool (Bruno), the grafter/geezer in the pub (Benn/Hatton) and dislike class with arrogance (Naz/Eubank). Those 2 were marmite boxers.

Galahad I fear will probably be a Naz like person seeing as he is developing that edge to go with his flashy skills.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Thu 17 May 2012, 1:36 pm

Nas I loved. I was a young kid when Nas was tearing through the 126lbs division he's the reason I love the sport.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 17 May 2012, 1:40 pm

Naz was terrific, both in and out of the ring. I remember his ring-walks. His casual dismissal of opponents. Plus his build up to maing his US debut with that dread anouncing his arrival and naz springing off the ship. Pure class.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Thu 17 May 2012, 1:44 pm

Loved the way he was dancing away behind that sheet of paper whilst Kelley was getting more and more wound up.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Thu 17 May 2012, 1:47 pm

Tyson Fury Run

Probably just to see him get beaten....

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Thu 17 May 2012, 1:48 pm

Remember his thriller ring walk with the piano? That was fantastic. All of it on satellite and PPV as well. It just shows if you have the full package like that the public will pay to see you. Boxing in this country isn't dead because of TV channels and the likes we just don't have a star.

Do you remember his music single?
Walk like a champion, talk like a champion put up your hands The Prince is in the house. I've still got it!
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 17 May 2012, 1:50 pm

SugarRayRussell (PBK) wrote:Remember his thriller ring walk with the piano? That was fantastic. All of it on satellite and PPV as well. It just shows if you have the full package like that the public will pay to see you. Boxing in this country isn't dead because of TV channels and the likes we just don't have a star.

Do you remember his music single?
Walk like a champion, talk like a champion put up your hands The Prince is in the house. I've still got it!

My favourite of his was "Here comes the Hotstepper" He used that one a couple of times, always felt it fit him really well. Got to say a thread with people just going on about things they love about Naz is about the best one I have ever seen on here, like you Kev Naz was my first love boxing wise and is down to him I am into the sport.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by alfredperami Thu 17 May 2012, 1:50 pm

Frank Buglioni is the best shout so far he seems to be selling tickets the only issue is Boxnation, the plus, is that he is another top SMW prospect who can talk to TV and has a fan base(N London/Essex). Saving grace is that almost all our top SMW are with warren and fighting on BN.
He is 10 fights behind GG and JD but he should be that good and will draw more than both in time.

Maybe a move up from CEjnr in the next few years could see 4 and not 2 in the mix at domestic level.

But as has already been said BN will not produce a Hatton so a move would be needed.
alfredperami
alfredperami

Back to top Go down

Post by lfc91 Thu 17 May 2012, 2:33 pm

Naz is an excellant reason to get into boxing! Embarrasingly enough for me(considering how much of a prat he can be)the man who got me into boxing was amir khan at the oylmpics! Remember thinking this guys only just 4 years older than me and look how good he is! Seen plenty of naz higlights and he was fantastic to watch.

lfc91

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 17 May 2012, 2:37 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLXcgZ84ndk

Best highlights of Naz, he was so cool, wish there was someone around like him today.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Thu 17 May 2012, 2:38 pm

https://www.606v2.com/t23152-prince-naseem-hamed-3631-1-0

Even better highlights of Naz, there are many worse ways to spend a weekend than watching this.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Thu 17 May 2012, 3:37 pm

Greggs. Loving the naz love...he might have fallen over the last hurdle but that guy could fight. Brendan Ingle: "You'll miss him when he's gone"

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 17 May 2012, 3:40 pm

To be fair though, I don't think even a whole Kebab shop could fill Hattons void.

There had to be a fat joke in here with this as a title!!

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Thu 17 May 2012, 3:43 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:There had to be a fat joke in here with this as a title!!

And we're still waiting for it...
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Thu 17 May 2012, 3:51 pm

Problem is Hatton and Naz where class acts but they also had the personality to match,the fighters today not only aren't good enough but they're as dull as dish water.

Lets be fair a mouthy git with talent alway's gets us up off our seats love em or hate em.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by Josef K. Thu 17 May 2012, 3:56 pm

Hatton v Mayweather got me seriously into boxing, always casual before, but watching it in Riley's after 18th birthday, that was the night I caught the bug. Rediscovered Naz quite soon after. I think Kell Brook's the man to do it for the next generation, exciting fighter, got skills and Matchroom seems a vibrant place to be.

Erm...if Manny has anything to do with it no one will be filling Hatton's void? (Sorry, crass but it's all I know)

Josef K.

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 17 May 2012, 3:59 pm

Sorry but Brook is an incredibly dull person. The personality to match the acting ability of Keanu Reeves.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Josef K. Thu 17 May 2012, 4:05 pm

Never seen the two in remotely close proximity, so I'll have to take your word on that one. I'll give you that Galahdad shout though, he did have a touch Naz about him.

Josef K.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 17 May 2012, 4:12 pm

I'd like to see ricky Hatton and Naseem Hamed fight over the last cheese and onion pasty from Gregg's.I would overcome my objection to PPV for that no problem at all.

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Thu 17 May 2012, 4:30 pm

KingMonkey wrote:If Price can get the scousers fully behind him he stands a chance, after all he has all the tools to dominate that division if he times his run well.

Groves definitely could as well but Boxnation threatens to hide him away from the public eye.

Price is a top quality bloke. Met him once whilst waiting in an offy to be served peed. didnt know he was a boxer at the time and he told me and me mates that he was a boxer and that he might me going the Olympics and keep an eye for him.

Also saw him in a queue outside the Olympia (boxing venue in Liverpool) waiting to get in when Prizefighter was on there. Few lads were shouting to him 'Pricey just go to the front and tell them who your are lad!' and he was sayin 'no dont be silly'. Very humble

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Thu 17 May 2012, 4:34 pm

Price, probably in the longer term I would say. He has the style, he has the football element with Liverpool and being a heavyweight always has a little extra to it. He seems like a decent chap aswell outside the ring and has the destructive force inside it to get people watching. The biggest problem could be he is forced into a Klitschko fight to soon but if he takes his time I think he has alot of the ingredients to make it big. And he might just hit his peak when the two brothers are either gone or significantly faded.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Thu 17 May 2012, 5:15 pm

alma wrote:Brook is dull and has a weirdly camp voice.

Hamed had it, and so does Galahad. Must be a Sheffield thing. Rowley probably sounds the same.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 17 May 2012, 5:16 pm

I'm from Rotherham, we all sound like the chuckle brothers

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 17 May 2012, 5:49 pm

Union Cane wrote:
alma wrote:Brook is dull and has a weirdly camp voice.

Hamed had it, and so does Galahad. Must be a Sheffield thing. Rowley probably sounds the same.

nah can't be. bomber graham was from sheffield and he sounded like phil mitchell with bronchitis

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 17 May 2012, 6:31 pm

alma wrote:
azania wrote:Sorry but Brook is an incredibly dull person. The personality to match the acting ability of Keanu Reeves.

agreed. Brook is dull and has a weirdly camp voice. I also get the feeling his first big fight will see him freeze. Hopefully I'm wrong in that respect.

He's a quality fighter and will win a strap and probably take a belt or two before losing them to Khan.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 17 May 2012, 6:40 pm

If he does well at the Olympics, Anthony Joshua might be the next one to do well. Seems a nice enough lad, but will have to wait and see if he has what it takes to make it in the pro's. Wouldn't like to see him fast-tracked like DeGale was though.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gordy Thu 17 May 2012, 7:48 pm

I think and foremost you have to wonder does anyone out there have the talent? Its all well and good having a fashionable gimmick but if you cant produce in the ring then you wont go far. Case in point look at David Haye. He was supposed to be the next superstar and a cross between Ali and Lewis! But he was an imposter dressed up as the real deal by the media! Now hes fighting a thug that should have been banned from the sport.

The likes of Froch, Haye, Khan, Harrison, Chisora simply dont have the talent to fill the void so never mind the personality (or lack of it)! Perhaps after the Olympics there will be a promising crop of winners that may be up to the task. Heres hoping!

Gordy

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Fri 18 May 2012, 1:39 am

azania wrote:Naz was terrific, both in and out of the ring. I remember his ring-walks. His casual dismissal of opponents. Plus his build up to maing his US debut with that dread anouncing his arrival and naz springing off the ship. Pure class.

Pure class and Naz, not words not often found in the same sentence. Brilliant fighter, but absolutely no class at all.

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next