The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Didier Drogba, The best Chelsea player ever?

+9
compelling and rich
lorus59
dublfcynwa
John Cregan
Crimey
Super D Boon
GSC
bretmeharty
Good Golly I'm Olly
13 posters

Go down

Didier Drogba, The best Chelsea player ever? Empty Didier Drogba, The best Chelsea player ever?

Post by Guest Sun 20 May 2012, 6:19 pm

Any arguments against this? Scored in every major final he's played in for the club which is astonishing. The ultimate big game player. What did he cost? 24 million? A snip!

I wasn't around to see the Chelsea team of the early 70's which I am told was pretty decent but I can remember very well the Chelsea side from 1997 onwards when they have continuously won trophies and I can't recall a better player for the club?

Agree, disagree?

Cheers guys.

Back to top Go down

Didier Drogba, The best Chelsea player ever? Empty Re: Didier Drogba, The best Chelsea player ever?

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 20 May 2012, 6:24 pm

John Terry, Frank Lampard I would say are above Drogba and I'm not even a Chelski fan
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Didier Drogba, The best Chelsea player ever? Empty Re: Didier Drogba, The best Chelsea player ever?

Post by bretmeharty Sun 20 May 2012, 6:28 pm

I gotta agree, when it came to the big nights in Europe and he really wanted to perform he has a major impact in the big games. I do think that this year especially he has seen the big nights in Europe as a shop window to get a big move in case things don't work out with Chelsea in the summer. But there is no denying he was Chelsea's best player in Europe this season.

bretmeharty

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 20 May 2012, 6:29 pm

Not a chance Olly! Lampard has been a legend at the club and deserves his due praise but Terry? He's one of 'the boys' and that's about it.

Back to top Go down

Post by bretmeharty Sun 20 May 2012, 6:29 pm

I gotta agree, when it came to the big nights in Europe and he really wanted to perform he has a major impact in the big games. I do think that this year especially he has seen the big nights in Europe as a shop window to get a big move in case things don't work out with Chelsea in the summer. But there is no denying he was Chelsea's best player in Europe this season.

bretmeharty

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 20 May 2012, 6:30 pm

Zola!
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 20 May 2012, 6:32 pm

Zola was excellent and I loved the bloke but I'd say he was a notch or two below Drogba in terms of overall influence. It's a shame Zola wasn't born 15 years later because he'd flourish even more in a recent Chelsea side.

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 20 May 2012, 6:36 pm

Zola didn't get to play in a side backed by Abramavitch's millions
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 20 May 2012, 6:38 pm

Look lets remember Drogba in some non big games was ineffectual. Lampard is the most consistent performer for Chelsea season in, season out
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Sun 20 May 2012, 6:40 pm

I love it how the bitter trolls like to say Chelsea won because of the millions.

I suppose Man Utd and Liverpool have no money to speak of and rely solely on local talent to get them their success! Laugh

Chelsea deserved it and their win as as good as any Man Utd or Liverpool win. In fact in 2005 Liverpool were more lucky than Chelsea. They relied on a Real Madrid that decided to choke away a 3-0 lead. Liverpool were shamefully lucky that year!

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 20 May 2012, 6:42 pm

Complete misinterpretation there. Point was Zola played with less quality
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 20 May 2012, 6:42 pm

Maybe but try and look beyond Lampard's goal record, which is outstanding by the way, and you'll find that there have been games where he's gone missing too.

Chelsea may have won what they have without Lampard but without Drogba? I doubt it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 20 May 2012, 6:43 pm

Super D Boon wrote:I love it how the bitter trolls like to say Chelsea won because of the millions.

I suppose Man Utd and Liverpool have no money to speak of and rely solely on local talent to get them their success! Laugh

Chelsea deserved it and their win as as good as any Man Utd or Liverpool win. In fact in 2005 Liverpool were more lucky than Chelsea. They relied on a Real Madrid that decided to choke away a 3-0 lead. Liverpool were shamefully lucky that year!

When did this happen?!

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 20 May 2012, 6:43 pm

In any case, were it not for his career being curtailed by injure recently, Essien was a beast.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sun 20 May 2012, 6:43 pm

I think Drogba is almost the opposite of the criticism levelled at a lot of the best footballers. Rather than not playing well in the big games, Drogba flourishes in them but isn't as good in the smaller games.

For Chelsea, his goalscoring record hasn't actually been world class, he's only scored over 20 goals in a season twice in his time at Chelsea and although he's clearly an awesome player I'm not sure he can be called the best Chelsea player ever.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 20 May 2012, 6:45 pm

For what it's worth Chelsea were more than a competitive side pre - Abromovich.

They were joint favourites to win the PL in 1998/99. People forget how good they were between 1996-2000.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 20 May 2012, 6:47 pm

Crimey wrote:I think Drogba is almost the opposite of the criticism levelled at a lot of the best footballers. Rather than not playing well in the big games, Drogba flourishes in them but isn't as good in the smaller games.

For Chelsea, his goalscoring record hasn't actually been world class, he's only scored over 20 goals in a season twice in his time at Chelsea and although he's clearly an awesome player I'm not sure he can be called the best Chelsea player ever.

Give me a name then Crimey!

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Sun 20 May 2012, 6:51 pm

I'll remember him as a cheat first..................

Great Centre Forward though........................

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by dublfcynwa Mon 21 May 2012, 10:45 am

When I think of Drogba I think of the worst cheat in the history of football, a disgrace to the sport imo.
dublfcynwa
dublfcynwa

Back to top Go down

Post by lorus59 Mon 21 May 2012, 10:49 am

It has to be Zola. Pure class. One of the best in the history of the premiership, let alone Chelsea.

lorus59

Back to top Go down

Post by dublfcynwa Mon 21 May 2012, 10:50 am

Super D Boon wrote:I love it how the bitter trolls like to say Chelsea won because of the millions.

You deserved nothing, you parked the bus and got lucky for most of the knockout stages.
dublfcynwa
dublfcynwa

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 21 May 2012, 10:52 am

dublfcynwa wrote:

You deserved nothing, you parked the bus and got lucky for most of the knockout stages.

They tactically outdone most teams. Sure they had a little bit of luck, but who doesn't? I mean look at the Prem this year. Man City were lucky that United threw away a 8 point lead. Chelsea deserved to win that in my eyes. Who cares about the style of football just so long as they win
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Mon 21 May 2012, 11:33 am

strange one drogba, as on his day he's unplayable. but sadly he doesnt have his day often enough. dont really think you can say best ever because of this because when he's not playing well he's pretty awful. you could argue most influential player for chelsea considering what he's won for the club in finals but not since mourinho left had drogba had a full season of playing well. zola would be my vote but drogba is up there purely for his on days!

as for chelsea winning the champions league i wouldnt have minded too much if it werent for that idoit terry. going up in his kit like he had some influence on them winning it. get some class and let the players who deserved it have the limelight. funny enough how they played better without him. as for them being lucky, dont think anyone can deny they got more than a fair share of it, if you played the barca and bayern games over again like that 9/10 they would win it this was the one off both times. but you cant argue how well chelsea defended and defence is as much a part of the game as attack. there luck came in missed penaltys and players missing chances that they wouldnt normally. but if you take your chances and defend well always gives you a chance

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by newballs Mon 21 May 2012, 12:34 pm

Not a Chelsea fan as such but fair play to Drogba he was basically the difference between the two teams. Bayern created loads of chances but failed too take but one. Drogba took his, nicely slotted away his penalty and the rest, as they say, is history.

Have to agree they actually looked better without bighead Terry and also have the problem of what to do with a seemingly unhappy Torres who looks a little bit like Shevchenko.

Back to Didier though he proved yet again what a big match player he is. That's got to make him worth his weight in gold, plastic ducks or whatever else Abramovitch currently trades in.

newballs

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 21 May 2012, 1:28 pm

Jimmy Greaves?

124 goals in 157 games when he started at Chelsea as a teenager, before going to Spurs (via Milan) and getting 220 goals in 321 appearances.

Also banged in 44 goals in 57 appearances for England during that period.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 21 May 2012, 1:40 pm

In the Abramovic era alone he surely has to be behind Lampard. Terry's stock rises and falls with alarming frequency, so right now it would be common for a lot of Chelsea fans to have Drogba higher, but I'd say there's room for a lot of debate there.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 21 May 2012, 2:27 pm

According to French websites, Drogba has told his teammates he's leaving for China to join up with Anelka.

World class striker, who on his day was unplayable. Will be remembered as a legend of Chelsea football Club, who guided the team to a haul of trophies and the coveted Champions League. I don't personally think the Premier League will miss him that much compared to the departures of Henry or Ronaldo and thankfully his shocking play-acting and blatant feigning of injury will now be seen in all its glory in China.

Back to top Go down

Post by two_tone Mon 21 May 2012, 4:19 pm

AC Milan wasn't it?

two_tone

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 21 May 2012, 4:31 pm

two_tone wrote:

AC Milan wasn't it?

Yes.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down