The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Irish Summer Tour Squad

+49
anotherworldofpain
kiakahaaotearoa
toml
MMC
Cari
Gibson
sean.c
wolfball
kunu
aucklandlaurie
Gretgael1
SecretFly
geoff998rugby
Rava
BoyneRFC
rodders
the-goon
Zander
valjester
LeinsterFan4life
GunsGerms
Golden
lbachy
Rory_Gallagher
geoff999rugby
Sin é
Feckless Rogue
JmD
D24tress
debaters1
Thomond
1F'sgonnagetya!
ME-109
Notch
pete (buachaill on eirne)
red_stag
Mcgavin Sean
eirebilly
Brendan
George Carlin
asoreleftshoulder
The Great Aukster
Hookisms and Hyperbole
dublin_dave
Mickado
CailinRua
caoimhincentre
Standulstermen
clivemcl
53 posters

Page 1 of 20 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 20  Next

Go down

Irish Summer Tour Squad Empty Irish Summer Tour Squad

Post by clivemcl Mon 21 May 2012, 12:05 pm

RELAND SUMMER TOUR SQUAD (New Zealand 2012):

Backs (13):

Darren Cave (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster)
Gordon D'Arcy (Lansdowne/Leinster)
Keith Earls (Young Munster/Munster)
Rob Kearney (UCD/Leinster)
Fergus McFadden (Old Belvedere/Leinster)
Conor Murray (Garryowen/Munster)
Brian O'Driscoll (UCD/Leinster) (capt)
Ronan O'Gara (Cork Constitution/Munster)
Eoin Reddan (Lansdowne/Leinster)
Jonathan Sexton (St. Mary's College/Leinster)
Andrew Trimble (Ballymena/Ulster)
Simon Zebo (Cork Constitution/Munster) *
AN Other

Forwards (16):

Rory Best (Banbridge/Ulster)
Sean Cronin (St. Mary's College/Leinster)
Stephen Ferris (Dungannon/Ulster)
Declan Fitzpatrick (Dungannon/Ulster) *
Cian Healy (Clontarf/Leinster)
Jamie Heaslip (Naas/Leinster)
Sean O'Brien (Clontarf/Leinster)
Donncha O'Callaghan (Cork Constitution/Munster)
Peter O'Mahony (Cork Constitution/Munster)
Mike Ross (Clontarf/Leinster)
Donnacha Ryan (Shannon/Munster)
Mike Sherry (Garryowen/Munster) *
Dan Tuohy (Ballymena/Ulster)
AN Other
AN Other
AN Other

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Irish Summer Tour Squad Empty Re: Irish Summer Tour Squad

Post by clivemcl Mon 21 May 2012, 12:07 pm

No Court Wallace or Gilroy from an Ulster POV. Glad to see Cave, Tuohy and Fitzpatrick in there though.

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Mon 21 May 2012, 12:09 pm

A few positives.

I hear Henry and boss are likely to fill to of the other spots. Paddy Wallace really must be surplus to requirements now.

Zebo over Gilroy and kearney Jr is debatable but a positive move.

Tuohy, cave, Fitzpatrick are all positive additions. A lot depends on what gametime they see though. If they are there to hold tackle bags for o'callaghan and D'arcy then it is a load of bull.

Court is injured Clive. A LH will probably be another one but should be paddy Mcallister

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by caoimhincentre Mon 21 May 2012, 12:10 pm

court broke his tumb on sat. out for 6 weeks. would like to see gilroy there

caoimhincentre

Back to top Go down

Post by CailinRua Mon 21 May 2012, 12:11 pm

Madigan should have been in with a shout... Had a great Pro12 campaign...

Same old, same old really...

CailinRua

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Mon 21 May 2012, 12:14 pm

caoimhincentre wrote:court broke his tumb on sat. out for 6 weeks. would like to see gilroy there

Hadnt even realised that! Gilroy I though did well on saturday. Trimble will be warming the bench next season for ulster. Its a pity theres three excellent young wings. Cant really choose them all. Think Fitzgerald has reached the end of his international journey as has Trimble and Wallace.

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Mon 21 May 2012, 12:17 pm

The greatest trick O’Gara ever played was convincing the world he’s still an international class out half…

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Mon 21 May 2012, 12:18 pm

Certainly looks like it for Wallace but I wouldn't write off a 24 year old or a 27 year old just yet.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by caoimhincentre Mon 21 May 2012, 12:18 pm

clivemcl wrote:
caoimhincentre wrote:court broke his tumb on sat. out for 6 weeks. would like to see gilroy there

Hadnt even realised that! Gilroy I though did well on saturday. Trimble will be warming the bench next season for ulster. Its a pity theres three excellent young wings. Cant really choose them all. Think Fitzgerald has reached the end of his international journey as has Trimble and Wallace.

agree with most but not with Fitz. had a very good season with leinster. is constantly ahead of McFadden and is younger than him too

caoimhincentre

Back to top Go down

Post by dublin_dave Mon 21 May 2012, 12:20 pm

couldnt not be less excited about this.

a tired weary ireland playing puke rugby will be beaten out the gate by a hungry fresh new zealand with some new faces and a team consisting of in form players. i wont be getting out of the bed for these i tell you.

expect this team for the first test - kearney,trimble,drico,darcy,earls,sexton,murray,heaslip,sob,ferris,ryan,donners,ross,best,healy subs fitzpatrick,cronin,tuohy,pom,reddan,rog,mc fadden

expect a serious amount of kicking the ball up in the air. expect tuouhy, fitzpatrick and mc fadden to get no gametime off the bench. expect rog and reddan to appear on the 50 minute mark,engineer a try from a crosskick or a grubber, expect a 30 point defeat

dublin_dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Hookisms and Hyperbole Mon 21 May 2012, 12:31 pm

A few disappointing selections in here, but nothing too much to complain about bar the inclusions of O'Gara, D'Arcy and O'Callaghan. That is not to say they should be completely jettisoned, but I think it would have been a worthwhile exercise to have Madigan there in the squad to come off the bench. I'm surprised Paddy Wallace isn't in the squad considering he has been the best Irish 12 all season- I think that 'Owen Hargreaves syndrome' has struck again here. The inclusion of McFadden and D'Arcy would suggest that BOD will be playing at 13 in this series rather than trying him at 12 with Cave outside him. Surprised that Zebo is in the squad as his defence has never looked anywhere near international standard. Dave Kearney or even Craig Gilroy for me would have been better choices but I hope to be proved wrong.

I am delighted to see Fitzpatrick in the squad and hope he gets some game time on the tour as we badly need an alternative to Mike Ross.

Ferris should not be in this panel. He has looked like has been playing through a severe pain barrier for the past month and needs a serious rest. We have enough back row cover for him and he should be pulled out.

Hookisms and Hyperbole

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Mon 21 May 2012, 12:33 pm

dublin_dave wrote:couldnt not be less excited about this.

a tired weary ireland playing puke rugby will be beaten out the gate by a hungry fresh new zealand with some new faces and a team consisting of in form players. i wont be getting out of the bed for these i tell you.

expect this team for the first test - kearney,trimble,drico,darcy,earls,sexton,murray,heaslip,sob,ferris,ryan,donners,ross,best,healy subs fitzpatrick,cronin,tuohy,pom,reddan,rog,mc fadden

expect a serious amount of kicking the ball up in the air. expect tuouhy, fitzpatrick and mc fadden to get no gametime off the bench. expect rog and reddan to appear on the 50 minute mark,engineer a try from a crosskick or a grubber, expect a 30 point defeat

... expect Ferris to aggravate his injury a bit more every game and BOD to pick up another one.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Mon 21 May 2012, 12:38 pm

Earls won't be happy but he must be there for the wing or there's no point bringing Cave.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 21 May 2012, 12:44 pm

I am honestly not WUMMing here, but isn't once test against this current All Black's side enough? Has anyone read anything from the coaching team about the rationale behind having a full test series?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Mon 21 May 2012, 12:46 pm

Sexton when he went to ireland suffered a bit from presure when the game started to get away. Madigan would be no different in his first few games and away against NZ really in a place to have his confidence beat up.

Would like to see BOD at 12 as we have few options at 13 that play regularly and aren't hit and miss

Having 3 test means a higher shout of a win in the last game and also it might force Dec to bring in the youong guys if the older ones get schooled ala England in 2002 (I think it was)

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by dublin_dave Mon 21 May 2012, 12:48 pm

just thinking the same auskster.

ferris needs a summer off. he is an absolute best but needs careful managing to get the best out of him, having the tar beaten out of him on an end of season tour is not what the doctor ordered. he should be on a beach having a drink with an umbrella in it.

drico is looking great since his latest comeback - cue injury putting him out of start of hc and autumn internationals.

its a real shame that madigan has not been picked. i mean we know rog is a legend but that is beyond a conservative call. rog is no longer an international standard out half but i suppose he is proven at the gameplan deccie prefers.

mc loughlin is also very unlucky as is paddy wallace. both in great form.i would be amazed if tuohy,zebo etc get a start

a conservative, boring squad. if it is not working why would we bother trying to fix it Erm

dublin_dave

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Mon 21 May 2012, 12:48 pm

Brendan wrote:Sexton when he went to ireland suffered a bit from presure when the game started to get away. Madigan would be no different in his first few games and away against NZ really in a place to have his confidence beat up.

Apparently having their confidence undermined is just the thing to harden young players.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Mon 21 May 2012, 12:50 pm

ROG and D'Arcy going? Thats something isnt it. Excellent forward thinking there.

Madigan should be going ahead of ROG, if only for the midweek games and possibly Keatley as the A N Other.

Paddy Wallace has been the form 12 for Ireland this year and D'Arcy has been largely pish. Dont get that myself.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Mon 21 May 2012, 12:53 pm

I think that the AIs or 6N is a must for madigan with the home fans and decent traveling fans behind him. NZ isn't the place to get hardened in your first few games.

Can jackson make a claim to be opushing for a spot two as he has played at the higher level. I think in 2 years the fight for the No 10 will be tight between the three hopefully with one of them at munster (no likely though)

After the wales game of last year I couldn't wait for Paddy to be dumped but he has beeen really go this year and is ahead of the other two. Mcfadden maybe for utility but Wallace was a star in our last tour south

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon 21 May 2012, 12:54 pm

ROG is not a conversative call.

It is a bad call. Madigan is genuinely playing better.

I am a big believer in picking your best squad and our best squad includes Madigan.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcgavin Sean Mon 21 May 2012, 12:54 pm

dublin_dave wrote:couldnt not be less excited about this.

+1

Mcgavin Sean
Mcgavin Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Mon 21 May 2012, 12:58 pm

Hookisms and Hyperbole wrote:A few disappointing selections in here, but nothing too much to complain about bar the inclusions of O'Gara, D'Arcy and O'Callaghan. That is not to say they should be completely jettisoned, but I think it would have been a worthwhile exercise to have Madigan there in the squad to come off the bench. I'm surprised Paddy Wallace isn't in the squad considering he has been the best Irish 12 all season- I think that 'Owen Hargreaves syndrome' has struck again here. The inclusion of McFadden and D'Arcy would suggest that BOD will be playing at 13 in this series rather than trying him at 12 with Cave outside him. Surprised that Zebo is in the squad as his defence has never looked anywhere near international standard. Dave Kearney or even Craig Gilroy for me would have been better choices but I hope to be proved wrong.

I am delighted to see Fitzpatrick in the squad and hope he gets some game time on the tour as we badly need an alternative to Mike Ross.

Ferris should not be in this panel. He has looked like has been playing through a severe pain barrier for the past month and needs a serious rest. We have enough back row cover for him and he should be pulled out.

Agree with all of this.

Paddy Wallace has been playing some great stuff at times this season I've no idea how Darcy can be picked ahead of him. Sad

Zebo is raw. Rawer than raw. He should be back in Ireland progressing not on a plane to New Zealand. Think Gilroy and Kearney Jr while neither are as exciting as Zebo (although not far off) they are both better players.

I understand why O'Gara is there but I disagree with it. Kidney is too conservative. Madigan could have really moved this team into an attacking direction or at least started moving the team that way.

I assume the 4 AN OTHER places will go to a:

back 3 player: Gilroy or Kearney Jr. Probably Kearney Jr as he has more time at 15 and with only Kearney Sr there that may be necessary.

prop: I'l like to see McAllister go. If Horan goes then Kidney will be out of his mind.

lock: If there is no POC I'd rather see Toner than McCarthy but Kidney loves McCarthy.

Backrow: Shoot out between Henry, McLaughlin and Jennings.

pete (buachaill on eirne)

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 21 May 2012, 1:00 pm

Nope. The A.N.Other places go to scrumhalf (Boss), prop (Wilkinson/Loughney), lock (O'Connell?) and backrow (Henry)

If Henry, Boss and O'Connell are all fit they'll travel I think.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Mon 21 May 2012, 1:02 pm

Darcy is there because he is the best No12 in the country as was evidenced last weekend so not sure what the problem is with his inclusion.

Would have preferred Madigan myself but as Ollie Campbell said last week taking ROG is a better call. Especially as Sexton is no doubt going to fall to pieces when the pressure is on...

Zebo is a good call, better attacking and try scoring than Gilroy (found out last weekend) and D Kearney who has only had a few cameos.

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Mon 21 May 2012, 1:04 pm

DOD wrote:Darcy is there because he is the best No12 in the country

Deaglan Shocked
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by 1F'sgonnagetya! Mon 21 May 2012, 1:09 pm

How DOC keeps getting picked is beyond me...............oh wait, I forgot we've got Kidney in charge!

1F'sgonnagetya!

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Mon 21 May 2012, 1:10 pm

eirebilly wrote:

Deaglan Shocked

Who is currently better? He completely outplayed Wallace last weekend, made the hard yards for Leinster and gave them a lot of go forward ball, one of his best games in a long time.

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon 21 May 2012, 1:10 pm

1F'sgonnagetya! wrote:How DOC keeps getting picked is beyond me...............oh wait, I forgot we've got Kidney in charge!

I can understand his selection in the squad. Should be nowhere near starting team though. O'Connell, Ryan with Tuohy on bench. O'Callaghan to back them up. Thats a good place to be in.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Mon 21 May 2012, 1:11 pm

Do people think he would have been picked if POC was there. I think he was picked to add experience to the lineout.

The pressure for the whole time will be massive and we need some old heads

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Mon 21 May 2012, 1:12 pm

DOD wrote:
eirebilly wrote:

Deaglan Shocked

Who is currently better? He completely outplayed Wallace last weekend, made the hard yards for Leinster and gave them a lot of go forward ball, one of his best games in a long time.

Thats the problem with him, a great game so the next six months will be poor. Wallace will be the same each game

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Mon 21 May 2012, 1:13 pm

I think people are giving a great disservice(this is a word right?) to Zebo's defence. It's actually an area where he is pretty strong. He made two try saving efforts in the Connacht game away in the Rabo and is actually a pretty decent tackler. I think his major flaws are his decision making but it's easily correctable. I think going with any of Gilroy/Kearney/Zebo is the right mvoe. There isn't a lot between them at the moment, most of them have flaws at this stage.

Madigan not there is incredibly frustrating. Not too many complaints with the squad after that. It's as expected. I think there are a few guys who are decent fellas to have in the squad (DOC, D'Arcy etc) but I wouldn't want them in the team.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by debaters1 Mon 21 May 2012, 1:14 pm

Maybe I am wrong, but isn't Fitzy injured and out for an extended period now? So chat of him being frozen out etc is wide of the mark.

As for the debateable calls, well ROG & DOC can count themselves very lucky but doubtless when called upon over the three games will not fail o perform, whatever people may think.

Now, I have been a vocal critic of D'Arcy over the last 2 years or so, so criticising his selection will be nothing new, however, I must say that he was markedly improved on Saturday than I had seen him in some time. Leinster fans and the anti-Kidney camp will doubtless point to Schmidt etc, but I have seen him been very ordinary for Leinster too.

Cave started very well and while he didnt fade per se, he was oushone in the end by BOD, but there is NO shame in that whatsoever. Hope he gets game time.

In fact, I think this tour will surprise people (and Deccie my extension I might add) as to how we perform and who gets to play.

Oh and as for the wisdom or other wise of a three test tour, well, while it will be difficult, it will actually allow us and management see how we develope and learn from playing the same opposition over three consecutive weeks. Hansen will rotate his team but the strategies and tactics will be unlikely to change too much across the three games and then with the Lansdowne match in November I think we will see a number of positives from these matches. Ditto the South African tour in 2014.

On a side note, I have been somewhat quiet on these boards since Ulster beat Munster. I was licking my wounds. The better team won that day and the same thing happened at the weekend. Credit to all players & management concerned and the banter around town for the Semi final and the build up to the final was great to see. Congratulations to Leinster on becoming the single best Heineken Cup team. Hard earned and well played.

I hope that Munster can renew their competetiveness quickly next season and, as ever, that the tour does the least damage possible to the provinces in respect of injuries.

debaters1

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Mon 21 May 2012, 1:14 pm

Brendan wrote:
DOD wrote:
eirebilly wrote:

Deaglan Shocked

Thats the problem with him, a great game so the next six months will be poor. Wallace will be the same each game
yes anonymous except for the odd bit of good play.

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 21 May 2012, 1:17 pm

Thomond wrote:Madigan not there is incredibly frustrating. Not too many complaints with the squad after that. It's as expected. I think there are a few guys who are decent fellas to have in the squad (DOC, D'Arcy etc) but I wouldn't want them in the team.

Yeah, thats it. I very strongly feel that an O'Driscoll/Cave midfield is the way to go.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Mon 21 May 2012, 1:18 pm

I think that Gilroy should have been a shoe in. Hes not necessarily better than Zebo/Kearney, but hes a nailed on starter with his club and honestly you raely see him do anything wrong which is crazy considering his youth. I think his gametime puts him ahead.

Ultimatly though the player missing out in place of him should be Trimble, not Zebo or Kearney.

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Mon 21 May 2012, 1:20 pm

DOD wrote:
Brendan wrote:
DOD wrote:
eirebilly wrote:

Deaglan Shocked

yes anonymous except for the odd bit of good play.

Did you watch the match the other day? How you think paddy Wallace is poor is beyond me. You talk like you think Darcy is in a whole other league. You are clearly delusional, like Kidney.

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Mon 21 May 2012, 1:20 pm

Consistently Paddy Wallace has been better than D'Arcy. D'Arcy is way too hot and cold if i am honest.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Mon 21 May 2012, 1:21 pm

Also, i dont like the way you are calling two days ago last weekend. thats grinding my gears, stop it! Laugh

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Mon 21 May 2012, 1:24 pm

Thought Wallace was probably Ulster’s best player at the weekend. Darcy looks good when he’s playing to a certain gameplan, i.e. not bashing the ball up the center. So he’ll be dire for Ireland again…

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by D24tress Mon 21 May 2012, 1:24 pm

what a rubbish selection

Some of the pics are baffling
The team should be made up of mostly leinster and ulster players
with Ryan, pom and earls in and maybe zebo just to work on his defence.

My selection would be (based on form and how we want to play)

Forwards
Healy
mcallister
best
cronin
Ross
Fitzpatrick
touhy
toner
ryan
cullen
SOB
Ferris
Mclaughlin
heislip
POM
henry

Redden
Boss
marshall
Sexton
Madigan
Darcy
BOD
Mcfadden
Gilroy
Kearney
earls
zebo
Cave

starting team of

Healy
best
Ross

Ryan
Cullen

Ferris
SOB
Heislip

Redden
Sexton

Gilroy
Darcy
BOD
Earls
Kearney

Bench Cronin, fitzpatrick, toner, henry, boss, madigan mcfadden

D24tress

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Mon 21 May 2012, 1:25 pm

Earls back to the back three? I wonder how he feels about that. Everything we have heard from him has been how he wants to play 13. With Laulala at munster and cave/bod for Ireland I wonder will he be told to focus on the wing.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Hookisms and Hyperbole Mon 21 May 2012, 1:25 pm

Notch wrote:
Thomond wrote:Madigan not there is incredibly frustrating. Not too many complaints with the squad after that. It's as expected. I think there are a few guys who are decent fellas to have in the squad (DOC, D'Arcy etc) but I wouldn't want them in the team.

Yeah, thats it. I very strongly feel that an O'Driscoll/Cave midfield is the way to go.

I'm with you here Notch but I cannot see it happening. If BOD is going to play 12 then why bring McFadden and D'Arcy?

My biggest disappointment is in the back row selection. Ferris should not be there and badly needs a rest. He is playing already on one leg and the past 3 or 4 weeks he has looked below his best and paying through injuries that, if it was another stage of the season, he would not be playing through. I thought as good a match as Sean O'Brien had (and he was excellent- incidentally my MOTM was Strauss who I thought was absolutely superb) Kevin McLaughlin completely outplayed Ferris. I would love to have seen either an all Leinster back row of McLaughlin, Heaslip and O'Brien, or given Heaslip's form in green, perhaps McLaughlin, O'Brien and Henry.

O'Gara's selection is disappointing but not unexpected. Given his strength has always been his tactical kicking and that is now no where as good as it once was, what is he actually in the squad for?

Hookisms and Hyperbole

Back to top Go down

Post by debaters1 Mon 21 May 2012, 1:33 pm

D24tress, ok, whatever about a certian amount of bias and picking your team, there is no way you can justify selecting Toner ahead of Tuohy. Toner shouldn't be near the plane never mind the bench.

debaters1

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Mon 21 May 2012, 1:38 pm

Cullen starting? Not a chance in hell. He is not that good at all. Ryan and Tuohy for me.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by D24tress Mon 21 May 2012, 1:39 pm

Sorry debaters that was for the first game
And i was starting with cullen and ryan and they are both aggressive locks and touhy would be of the same mould, toner was just something different on the bench, i would defo have him in for the second test, infact most of the squad i selected would get a run at some stage.

Can i just say that i think fitzpatrick may have scrummaged better then afoa
over his few games. I think he is a real prospect at tighthead that has been missing, along with mcallister ulster seem to be doing something right with there props

D24tress

Back to top Go down

Post by JmD Mon 21 May 2012, 1:42 pm

The squad should have looked something like this:

Backs:

Darren Cave
Paddy Wallace
Keith Earls
Rob Kearney
Dave Kearney
Conor Murray
Brian O'Driscoll
Ian Madigan
Eoin Reddan
Jonathan Sexton
Andrew Trimble
Simon Zebo
Craig Gilroy
Isaac Boss

Forwards (16):

Rory Best
Sean Cronin
Kevin McLaughlin
Declan Fitzpatrick
Cian Healy
Jamie Heaslip
Sean O'Brien
Donncha O'Callaghan
Peter O'Mahony
Mike Ross
Donnacha Ryan
Mike Sherry
Dan Tuohy
Chris Henry
Paddy MacAllister
Paul O'Connell

The teamI would have picked from that:
1) Cian Healy
2) Rory Best
3) Mike Ross
4) Donnacha Ryan
5) Dan Tuohy
6) Kevin McLaughlin
7) Chris Henry
8) Sean O'Brien
9) Eoin Reddan
10) Jonathan Sexton
11) Craig Gilroy
12) Brian O'Driscoll
13) Darren Cave
14) Keith Earls
15) Rob Kearney

Bench: Sean Cronin, Paddy MacAllister (if there are two props on the bench), Declan Fitzpatrick, Donncha O'Callaghan, Peter O'Mahony, Isaac Boss, Ian Madigan, Dave Kearney

At least that would be an exciting team to watch, instead of the same old ineffective brand of rugby Kidney wants to see.

JmD

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Mon 21 May 2012, 1:44 pm

O'Mahony deserves to start. I think he could take Heaslip's spot. At least I hope he does.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Hookisms and Hyperbole Mon 21 May 2012, 1:47 pm

JmD that would pretty much be my team as well. I would be tempted to start with Trimble on the wing instead of Gilroy and ease either Gilroy or Zebo in the international arena by bringing them off the bench. Perhaps a 15 minute run out in the first match, 25-30 minutes in the second match and then possibly a start in the third. I think for both players who have just a handful of provincial starts each it might be too much to throw them in at the deep end. A certain Paddy Jackson might be able to tell you how that feels.

Hookisms and Hyperbole

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Mon 21 May 2012, 1:49 pm

+1 on O'Mahoney. Heaslip deserves to be dropped. O'Brien has just put in a storming man of the match display at openside.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Mon 21 May 2012, 2:10 pm

Hookisms and Hyperbole wrote:
O'Gara's selection is disappointing but not unexpected. Given his strength has always been his tactical kicking and that is now no where as good as it once was, what is he actually in the squad for?

O'Gara wouldn't be allowed stay at home - the NZRU expect a few 'names' to sell tickets. The NZ public don't want to see a development team (just like we don't want to see a NZ development team when they tour up here). ROG has said that he asked to be left at home on the last tour to NZ (wife was expecting) and he still had to go on tour and just got home before the birth. Think he only started one test (against NZ). David Wallace went home early for the birth of his child.

O'Gara's tactical kicking was fine until he picked up a leg injury. You may have noticed that he didn't start the Ospreys semi-final.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 20 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 20  Next