The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Feeling the heat.

3 posters

Go down

Feeling the heat. Empty Feeling the heat.

Post by John Bloody Wayne Fri 25 May 2012, 9:54 pm

The boxing gym I got to has always been a pretty sweltering place even on the best days. The sort of crowded little nuts and bolts gym where your water bottle better be full on hot days because you'll be sweating off pounds as you go.

Now I hadn't been in much for the past couple of weeks before today, so today was this year's first session of pure sweat. I was drenched after the warm up! This is because of two things:
A) It was bloody hot, did I mention that?
B) I need to run more.

Of course some handled it better than others. On my best day my workrate and fitness puts nobody to shame, so I fell into the category of "others".

It got me thinking about fights and there outcomes being affected by imense heat. The famous one, goes without saying, being The Rumble In The Jungle. Obivously aside from the heat a couple of other things beat Foreman: Ali being a truly phenomenal fighter and Foreman being a young, wreckless bull who thought he was invincible. I bet Big George would've been happier in an air conditioned gym though!

How many other fights have seen one or both guys feeling the heat? Would the outcome have been different in a different climate?

I think in the hottest of bouts fighters should be given some Ale between rounds.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Feeling the heat. Empty Re: Feeling the heat.

Post by azania Fri 25 May 2012, 10:08 pm

That's what they did in the old days. They thought it was performance enhancing!

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Fri 25 May 2012, 10:10 pm

If Herbie Hide's planning on bombing James J Jeffries out early he better hope the Boilermaker's sloshed.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Fri 25 May 2012, 10:23 pm

Robinson v Maxim light heavyweight title fight. Robinson was winning going into the late rounds but just welted under the extream heat.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 25 May 2012, 10:43 pm

I remember Barry's eyes entering their last round. He looked gone.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Fri 25 May 2012, 11:09 pm

I can't believe I forgot Robinson v Maxim.

Great shout on Mcguigan v Cruz.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down