The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wing Chun

3 posters

Go down

Wing Chun Empty Wing Chun

Post by TipToes88 Tue 05 Apr 2011, 2:27 pm

Alright guys, I'm looking to start training in another branch of martial arts and I'm seriously thinking of going to Wing Chun. Anyone have any experiance in it, what the training like, how long does it take to "perfect"?

TipToes88

Back to top Go down

Wing Chun Empty Re: Wing Chun

Post by Guest Tue 05 Apr 2011, 5:04 pm

Got know experience myself but have heard from one good source that its good for street fighting/defence though not so good for combat sports. There was a good series on Nat Geo or discovery called fight science & they covered it in one episode, interesting as was the whole series which is available on youtube. Check out the series 1st on wiki for more details.

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Tue 05 Apr 2011, 7:19 pm

a friend of mine did it for a while, from what I understand of it it's focus is on rapid, precise strikes using the fists to the head. He explained how they punch from a centre point and don't throw roundhouses or anything that way it's easier to block and counter in coming strikes. He said there is very little sparring (or very light sparring) because its too dangerous to do full contact. He mentioned a game called sticky hands that they play to practise their speed and precision, which takes a lot of practice to get good at, as well as something called iron palm, which you need to complete in order to become a master - basically you have to slap a sandbag for two hours straight without stopping or breaking rhythm every day for two months in order to toughen up your fists. So if you're looking at getting to the very top ranks then be prepared for a lot of hard work and pain. thumbsup

He really enjoyed it though before he stopped going for whatever reason; I don't think its an overly complicated martial art so you should be able to pick it up quickly. Smile

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by TipToes88 Mon 11 Apr 2011, 9:20 am

Thanks for the info guys, got my first session this week

TipToes88

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 14 Apr 2011, 11:38 pm

TipToes88 wrote:Thanks for the info guys, got my first session this week

You had your first session yet, how'd it go?

Back to top Go down

Post by TipToes88 Wed 20 Apr 2011, 10:21 am

Meant to go last week but had to work late, hoping to give it a crack tomorrow

TipToes88

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 20 Apr 2011, 5:45 pm

Good luck

Back to top Go down

Post by TipToes88 Mon 16 May 2011, 11:30 am

Been to a few sessions and fairly enjoying it. Training isnt as had as KM which is good for me just now as I've been lazy the past year or so

TipToes88

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 17 May 2011, 5:32 pm

@TipToes88

Glad you managed to get to it & its going well, you think its for you & you'll stick it? What is KM?

Back to top Go down

Post by TipToes88 Thu 19 May 2011, 9:29 am

Well I've paid the next four months in advance just to make sure I give it a decent shout. KM = Krav Maga. I used to train in it and it was serious hard going. Great combat art though i'd recomend it

TipToes88

Back to top Go down

Post by Solerina Sun 22 May 2011, 5:51 pm

TipToes88 wrote:Well I've paid the next four months in advance just to make sure I give it a decent shout. KM = Krav Maga. I used to train in it and it was serious hard going. Great combat art though i'd recomend it

I won't be taking up Krav Maga anytime soon Shocked

Wing Chun looks good.......shame about the background music.

Good luck with it TipToes : )

Solerina

Solerina

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 22 May 2011, 6:21 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n81Skm7wOxs Krav Maga

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3X7PDRG79LsWing Chun

Here are two links to complete episodes of Fight Quest an excellent series where two guys, one an MMA fighter & the other an ex soldier go around the world looking at various martial arts & fighting systems. I would recommend watching them all & they are available on youtube though not all in one complete link as well as a DVD set. You can find all the info on the series on wikipedia.

@solerina KM is not really a martial art more a self defense system that the Israeli special forces train in for real life situations against all manner of personal attacks. Its supposed to be a very effective maybe the best self/street defense system out there. I think it was devised from the Russian speznats (however you spell it) system. Some interesting points brought up on the episode with regards to the difference in self/street defense/ survival as opposed to combat sports in a controlled enviroment with rules, avoid taking it to the ground.

The Wing Chun is a little different in the episode to what you normally find on youtube clips. One of the fights at the end is quite funny!

Back to top Go down

Post by Solerina Sun 22 May 2011, 9:00 pm

Thanks SHN.......I'll make sure I find the time to watch those films : )

Solerina

Solerina

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down