The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Weepu- The voice of Reason

+4
dallym
aucklandlaurie
blackcanelion
Taylorman
8 posters

Go down

Weepu- The voice of Reason Empty Weepu- The voice of Reason

Post by Taylorman Wed 30 May 2012, 2:31 am

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/our-experts/7011263/Hansens-first-big-call-To-axe-woeful-Weepu

Thought I'd add Mark Reasons take on Weepu. Completely agree and this version has its moments... Laugh

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Weepu- The voice of Reason Empty Re: Weepu- The voice of Reason

Post by blackcanelion Wed 30 May 2012, 2:48 am

I'd love Piri to do well. But if I'm honest I think he only started last year because he provided a kicking option once Carter went (the other 3 1st 5's all having issues with their kicking). With Crudens boot improving and Barrat as backup he's struggling at the moment. I'd like to see how he goes outside of the Blues environment.

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Wed 30 May 2012, 3:49 am

I'd like to see him go outside of the blues environment as well.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by dallym Wed 30 May 2012, 11:11 am

I'm not fussed if he's there or not, as long as one of the youngsters get a chance. There was talk earlier that he'd be in the team in case Cruden was subbed off and they needed a goal kicker, but if DC is in the team too then Weepu's goalkicking is not required.

9 Smith
21 Elllis/Weepu.

I'd be happy with that

dallym

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Wed 30 May 2012, 11:59 am

I think the young halfbacks are by no means the complete picture but have the potential to be way better than Weepu or Cowan. Ellis is there because he has experience at test rugby and is therefore not an unknown like the young three.

So Smith to start and Ellis on the bench for me. Meanwhile tell TJ and KB that they're being considered and these are the areas they need to work on.

You should never have passengers in the ABs. So Nonu gets demoted to the bench and SBW starts and Cruden starts with Carter on the bench and Weepu and Cowan get cut from the squad. Muliaina got cut from the team on the eve of his 100th cap. No sentiment. You do what's best for the team and Weepu is nowhere near his best so should suffer the consequences.

If only they had the same attitude in the Spanish banking sector. Clean out the driftwood!!

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Wed 30 May 2012, 12:16 pm

Isn't Carter playing pretty well?
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Wed 30 May 2012, 12:43 pm

He's not over his groin injury completely. He returned to flyhalf and goalkicking against the Blues and seemed to play well but everyone seems to play well against the Blues this year. Whilst Carter and McCaw are getting back into some form, I don't think either warrant selection for the starting team at the moment. That's not to say that their careers are over like Cowan's should be but more an indication that they're not at their best just yet.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 30 May 2012, 12:46 pm

Carter played well in his last game. They're managing him back 'slowly', he's still got it, just not pushing it.

For me, weepu's done his dash, the WC was it. Some push on, onwards and upwards, looking for that next challenge. Get the feeling that weepu has achieved all he wanted, and now it's 'rest on laurels' time. You get found out quickly if this is your attitude, and his club form has shown him to be well and truly found out.

Perhaps he's let the hype after the argie game go to his head and he thinks he can reach those heights without having to graft.

He's gone. Thanks weepu, you did some good things for the jersey clap

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Wed 30 May 2012, 12:59 pm

More like resting on his KFC buckets mate!

Carter and McCaw still have much to offer. The RWC was an exception but I think it's dangerous to think Carter or McCaw at 65 or 75 per cent are better than someone else at 100 per cent. That does nothing to help them stay longer in the game. Get their recovery fully right and then put them in the team because otherwise you risk repeating the same injury like Kahui and you never get the right mileage out of a player. Of course we want them back in the team but not at any price for me.

Weepu's finest game in black was that Aussie semi last year. Took ownership of place and goal kicking and removed any doubt that the ABs had weakness in those areas. clap

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Wed 30 May 2012, 5:44 pm

If you are honest does ANY member of the Blues deserve an ALL BLACK squad place currently?Piri Weepu is schizophrenic played at either 9 or 10 a useful goal kicker.Never has started regularly at 9 Cowan being the desired option,like Ellis mostly a bench warmer.There are options at 7 and 10 now to DC and RM,BUT not better options.By all means rest them till the 4Ns,what is badly required is Goal kicking options and a starting 10.Scenario Cruden breaks a leg 5 minutes into the first Ireland Match.DC still can`t start at 10 or goal kick,Colin Slade or Piri Weepu are the only other options who have played test rugby.Stretch a point Mike Delaney,Goal kickers are imperative this season that is NOT an IF but a must.Slade is out for the season,frankly his test career is probably over given the rest of the year.Young Guns will be qureing up at both 9 and 10 but not yet.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Wed 30 May 2012, 5:57 pm

For me the ideal situation with Dan Carter is to play him at 10 but include a back up goal kicker.He needs to be an automatic choice Isreal Dagg comes too mind so Carter can play but not kick goals.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Wed 30 May 2012, 6:00 pm

Ireland is the perfect side to start smith at 9 and hansen needs to grow some to ensure hes in. Thats the one position he should be able to try a newbie. He can always bring on Ellis and Smith has shown enough at sxv to show hes ready for the next level.

I think carter and mccaw are ok kia but agree with bench first test. Smith cruden sbw is a fine way to start with such backup available.

This backline is going to fire this year such is the talent now available.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Wed 30 May 2012, 6:02 pm

emack2 wrote:For me the ideal situation with Dan Carter is to play him at 10 but include a back up goal kicker.He needs to be an automatic choice Isreal Dagg comes too mind so Carter can play but not kick goals.

Dagg hasn't taken any place kicks this year, not even in practice, after his injury. Carter is playing 10 and kicking for the Crusaders vs the Highlanders on Friday, if he comes through that then no worries.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Wed 30 May 2012, 6:37 pm

That was an example KIWI,I know dagg has had kicking problems too.Groin Strain is a niggly thing and rest would help DC by not having to attempt goal kicking for the year.would be a huge help.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down