The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your pick for the first test against NZ: Right Wing

+4
rodders
Feckless Rogue
Gretgael1
pete (buachaill on eirne)
8 posters

Go down

Who would you play at 14 for the first test against the All Blacks?

Your pick for the first test against NZ: Right Wing Vote_lcap25%Your pick for the first test against NZ: Right Wing Vote_rcap 25% 
[ 4 ]
Your pick for the first test against NZ: Right Wing Vote_lcap13%Your pick for the first test against NZ: Right Wing Vote_rcap 13% 
[ 2 ]
Your pick for the first test against NZ: Right Wing Vote_lcap19%Your pick for the first test against NZ: Right Wing Vote_rcap 19% 
[ 3 ]
Your pick for the first test against NZ: Right Wing Vote_lcap43%Your pick for the first test against NZ: Right Wing Vote_rcap 43% 
[ 7 ]

Total Votes : 16

Your pick for the first test against NZ: Right Wing Empty Your pick for the first test against NZ: Right Wing

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:36 pm

Hi all,

Just going to do a few of these for the positions that seem to be most in doubt for the first test.
Leave your votes and reasons for voting and we'll see what we come up with and eventually what DK comes up with.
Try and keep it clean and your thoughts rational in terms of team tactics and backing up your points with examples from games.

Enjoy Smile

With a few absentees namely Bowe and Fitzgerald the back three is quite bare. One would assume with these absentees that Earls will play 11 leaving just one wing spot available for a few contenders with strengths and weakness's.

Trimble?
The incumbent. Had been playing out of his skin from last years world cup warm ups to the 6N but since he has dropped off. Has up skilled in terms of kicking and fielding and would be very useful due to his physicality but isn't a proven try scorer the way Bowe or Earls are.

McFadden?
Has played quite a bit at 14 this year and while having great pace he isn't a true winger. He has good kicking and fielding skills and comes into the line well but we have all seen glimpses where McFadden has been found out at wing.

Zebo?
The guy has the x factor that is without doubt. He scores for fun and has HCup experience. He has been found out a lot for his vision when he hasn't seen the simple pass to put a guy over. His defence has been ropey at times but this guy will be an international it's just a matter of when.

Gilroy?
Like Zebo he has the x factor just maybe a little less of it. He does have bragging rights due to that great try he scored in the 1/4 final and his defence is superior. He is a proven try scorer and has good rugby basics, he and Zebo might bring the energy that Ireland so badly need.

Back to top Go down

Your pick for the first test against NZ: Right Wing Empty Re: Your pick for the first test against NZ: Right Wing

Post by Gretgael1 Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:35 pm

I'm pretty sure Gilroy isn't in the squad travelling.

I think Trimble will start, even though he's not playing great at the moment. I think he has enough about him to have a good tour though.

I'd like to see Zebo get a decent amount of game time, just to expose him to the top level and see how he does.

Gretgael1

Back to top Go down

Your pick for the first test against NZ: Right Wing Empty Re: Your pick for the first test against NZ: Right Wing

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:05 pm

Personally I don't think Zebo is ready in terms of his alround game.

Gilroy has travelled and I hope he starts.
Trimble probably will

Back to top Go down

Post by Gretgael1 Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:31 pm

I thought Gilroy was staying at home, must be wrong. Almost certain he wasn't in the original squad so unless he's been recently included.

Zebo is far from the complete package but we're too conservative and slow in our selection of young players. I don't think 15-20 minutes in at least two games would destroy him if he played poor, but on the other hand, a good 15-20 mins could be the making of him. I reckon we'll start with Earls and Trimble, while I've no doubt they won't let us down Earls has played most of his Rugby at centre this season, Trimble had a great start to the season but has lost form and Mcfadden has chopped and changed from wing to centre and hasn't set the world alight in either position, so I think Zebo should get his chance because all of the talk about his weaknesses there is no doubt he knows where the try line is and give him a chance and he'll take it.

Gretgael1

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:38 pm

Gilroy. Trimbles off form.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:26 pm

Gilroy isn't in the squad but should be.

Not sure actually it's much a muchness. Trimble is the safe bet but he hasn't had a great second half of the season.

Personally I'd be tempted to go with Earls on the right wing and Zebo on the left.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:45 am

What's your source for Gilroy traveling? Not named in the squad...
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:09 pm

Did Kidney not bring Gilroy along?
thought I read that will go hunting for it tonight

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:32 pm

Ireland wouldnt play Zebo on the right wing ? would they?

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by valjester Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:24 pm

aucklandlaurie wrote:

No, he would be on the left wing. I think Earls is most likely to start at 14 as he is the player most comfortable at switching.
Trimble will most likely be at 11.

Gilroy is not in the squad. Only 13 back have travelled.

Darren Cave (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster)
Gordon D'Arcy (Lansdowne/Leinster)
Keith Earls (Young Munster/Munster)
Rob Kearney (UCD/Leinster)
Paul Marshall (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster)
Fergus McFadden (Old Belvedere/Leinster)
Conor Murray (Garryowen/Munster)
Brian O'Driscoll (UCD/Leinster) (capt)
Ronan O'Gara (Cork Constitution/Munster)
Eoin Reddan (Lansdowne/Leinster)
Jonathan Sexton (St. Mary's College/Leinster)
Andrew Trimble (Ballymena/Ulster)
Simon Zebo (Cork Constitution/Munster)

valjester

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:09 am

Sorry lads, I thought he had travelled to NZ with the team, my bad. Interesting to note so far he has the most votes from us. Christ Declan.

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:10 am

Ps: Val, Trimble has played a lot of his rugby at 14 and Earls at 11 so I imagine they'd stay like that

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:11 am

Gilroy would have been the perfect option for this game, with Earls at 11. One experienced winger, one newcomer.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:13 am

Also, Gilroy is very strong, deceptively so. With so many lighter, clever backs in our team, Gilroy offers both illusiveness and power.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:14 am

valjester wrote:
aucklandlaurie wrote:

No, he would be on the left wing. I think Earls is most likely to start at 14 as he is the player most comfortable at switching.
Trimble will most likely be at 11.

Sorry don't mean to be pedantic Val... but Trimble is more comfortable on the right, where he plays at Ulster, than on the left. I'd expect Trimbs to play 14, if he plays.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:41 am

Wish we'd brought Gilroy, Dk frustrates me so much

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:51 am

Me too Pete. Dave Kearney is unlucky too but I suppose I can see why Kidney wouldn't want to take 3 inexperienced wingers with Zebo there too.

Their time will come.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:57 am

aye it will but it will take a good old while. We have 2 first choice wingers injured and still they don't make the squad, the guy is driving Irish rugby into the dirt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down