The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Only Ferrer can Beat Nadal - Nadal makes a mince meat of Ferrer

+19
barrystar
sirfredperry
FedsFan
laverfan
CAS
LuvSports!
Super D Boon
socal1976
jersey
User 774433
Seifer Almasy
hawkeye
lydian
yloponom68
bogbrush
Chydremion
kemet
Josiah Maiestas
invisiblecoolers
23 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Only Ferrer can Beat Nadal - Nadal makes a mince meat of Ferrer Empty Only Ferrer can Beat Nadal - Nadal makes a mince meat of Ferrer

Post by invisiblecoolers Wed 06 Jun 2012, 7:51 pm

Ferrer's display of tennis was utter awesome, known for his fighting spirit he is playing with something to prove and in a form of life .

Its Vintage Rafa against Spirited Ferrer, Ferrer is the only guy capable of beating this Rafa at this current tournament, if Ferrer lets it go it could well be 7th RG title for Rafa.

Djokovic and Federer had a tough QF unlike Rafa, and one of them will be knocked out in the semi, on the other hand this Rafa would have knocked either of them out if he had to face them in the semi, so Djoko and Fed should have nothing to complain as Nadal will take a form beast in the semi.

For Djoko/Fed do the business in the semi and expect Ferrer to do the business in the other one, most likely Ferrer will do it. Very Happy
Fed/Djoko fans should be happy that neither of their hero have to take on Rafa in the semi, so if Djoko or Fed cannot win the respective semi they simply dont deserve the title, the draw cannot become better for them now.

4 best players in the semi [nothing against Murray, but on clay Ferrer is miles ahead of him].

Go Ferrer go. Yahoo

Edit -- Interesting lines in RG website - http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/news/articles/2012-06-07/201206071339090169485.html

Ask anyone here at Roland Garros how they see Rafael Nadal’s semi-final against David Ferrer turning out, and there isn’t too much variation in the replies. This answer is reasonably typical: “I think you can win a set from Rafa, but there is a difference between winning a set and winning a match. Winning a match against Rafa is almost impossible.” Sounds about right. So who spoke those words? Step forward David Ferrer, assessing his own task in the last four against his good friend Rafa Nadal.

----
Update

Nadal makes a mince meat of David Ferrer, Ferrer came up with his B-game and Nadal played his A-game in the first set after its was 2-2 which means a disaster for Ferrer and thats what happened in the end.

I for once thought Ferrer goes into the game with positive mind set, but he bowed down once he saw the glimse of Nadal's A-game. Well done David Ferrer for sticking with your words and an impressive fight.

Poor Nadal didnt even get a practice match before the finals, this is unfair on Nadal, he is now asked to defend his crown without even a practice match. Erm

Last edited by invisiblecoolers on Fri 08 Jun 2012, 3:48 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : update)

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Only Ferrer can Beat Nadal - Nadal makes a mince meat of Ferrer Empty Re: Only Ferrer can Beat Nadal - Nadal makes a mince meat of Ferrer

Post by Josiah Maiestas Wed 06 Jun 2012, 7:56 pm

Let's join hands Coolers. We both know Ferrer is better bet than the other 2 on this clay. Ferrer is a better match up on clay than Nole or Fed. Wink
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Only Ferrer can Beat Nadal - Nadal makes a mince meat of Ferrer Empty Re: Only Ferrer can Beat Nadal - Nadal makes a mince meat of Ferrer

Post by kemet Wed 06 Jun 2012, 7:57 pm

I disagree with this post. Ferrer will certainly make Rafa run, but that is precisely what Rafa likes to do. As everyone on here knows, he thrives off of physical points and can switch from defense to offense very easily (that forehand of his is fearsome). Rafa also does not commit that many unforced errors in clay and gets so many balls back into play.

The way I see it, the only person, who can beat Rafa is Djokovic, his defeats to Rafa in the last two masters events notwithstanding. This is why I will be watching Friday's semi between Novak and Roger with mixed feelings. It would be great for Roger to win, but I do not know if I could stand another Roger defeat to Rafa in a Roland Garros final, where his backhand is being exposed relentlessly by Rafa. How ironic that Roger was winning points against Rafa with his backhand at the World Tour Finals back in November.

What a difference a surface makes.

kemet

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Wed 06 Jun 2012, 7:59 pm

@ JM Hug

We have been saying this quite a while now that Ferrer is playing awesome and he would be too much for Murray to handle, I think Ferrer believes in himself that he can make a slam final, he would be too tough to handle for Rafa as well if he plays his A-game come friday.

I root for the warrior in Ferrer.

Go Ferrer go.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by Chydremion Wed 06 Jun 2012, 8:03 pm

For as much I'd like to see Ferrer with a bald head, I can't see it happen.

Chydremion

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Wed 06 Jun 2012, 8:04 pm

Ferrer won because of technical deficiencies in Murrays game, Nadal doesn't share those deficiencies.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Wed 06 Jun 2012, 8:07 pm

bogbrush wrote:Ferrer won because of technical deficiencies in Murrays game, Nadal doesn't share those deficiencies.

Its not like Ferrer never beat Nadal in a slam Smile

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by yloponom68 Wed 06 Jun 2012, 8:14 pm

Agree that Ferrer is one of the better hopes for someone to beat Nadal. His "never say die," is crucial to anyone playing Nadal on clay, without huge heart, no one will take him out on this surface.

That said, I also agree with Kemet at 3:57pm's post.

Ferrer simply lacks the big weapon needed to get free points off Nadal, all the more important on clay, where, the latter is best at turning the match into a war of attrition.

It will be interesting to see the semi with Djokovic v Federer; whilst they have had tough matches to get there, they must also be aware that a match against Nadal, should he make the final, be requiring of great stamina, speed and reserves of energy.

Nadal would know that if he wins one of the first two sets, it's going to be a mental mark in his opponent's mind, because that means at least four gruelling sets.

It's very hard to see anyone at this point, with performaces and current form in mind, being likely to beat Nadal. Now, that said, one has to execute on the day, but Nadal is unlikely to take that dramatic a "dip" in form, unless he is pushed into doing so by such quality from his opponent - again not likely.

Well done to Ferrer today, I think of him as a terrier, who gets a grip and isn't letting go from his point of view, it's up to the opponent to "shake" him off themselves. Murray didn't have it today, attitude didn't look great but perhaps some of that was frustration at having a physical "issue," not sure.

So we move on to the semifinals, with a repeat of last year's "blockbuster" with Federer v Djokovic - both tired, and wanting this one badly. I think that Federer knowing that he would probably face Nadal, will have less pressure, than will Djokovic. We'll see.

Nadal to take out Ferrer, probably in 3 sets, first of which might be close but then look for Nadal to "break away," and finish off in a blaze of winners.

yloponom68

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Wed 06 Jun 2012, 8:14 pm

Not only that BB...Nadal is simply a better tennis player than Murray. Results speak for themselves.

Nadal will move Ferrer around relentlessly with spin and unlike Murray wont break down after 10 shots. Plus his 2nd serve isnt a liability. Plus he has a much better FH - a lethal weapon. Nadal will also take him out wide with the lefty serve. Nadal's mental strength will also slowly unravel Ferrer who wont get a moment to relax, unlike Murray who goes walkabout a fair bit.

Ferrer playing Nadal at Barcelona or Rome (where Nadal bagelled him 2nd set) was one thing, at RG its completely another. Nadal gets better as slams go deeper and he'll be completely up for this challenge. Ferrer might push him hard for 1 set, perhaps even take the first - esp. as Nadal is a slow starter, but he'll eventually take complete control.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Wed 06 Jun 2012, 8:44 pm

@ Lyd and kemet

Yea Nadal is on Vintage form this season on RG, and he is a devil on clay , but if there is one guy who is capable of out beating him by stamina its none other than the Form beast in Ferrer.

Ferrer unlike Nole or Fed can stand the test of time and won't wilt down on stamina, he looks in awesome shape, great form and best of all the belief is with him.

Nadal will find it out in the semi that this Ferrer is not a walk about on clay like he usually did.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Wed 06 Jun 2012, 8:51 pm

I am a Nadal fan but I admit I am a bit scared of Ferrer. Maybe I should have cheered harder for Murray...

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Wed 06 Jun 2012, 8:56 pm

lol HE, I know what you mean. However, whilst I agree Ferrer is in great form, lets not forget Nadal is a complete beast on clay and if he's anywhere near his full form then this is a very very tough task for Ferrer.

Ok, Ferrer is fit but there is a difference in playing 4 hours of 10 stroke ralleys and 4 hours of 25 stroke ralleys...we'll find out just how fit Ferrer is on Friday after Nadal runs him left and right on a yo-yo digging into his anaerobic capacity reserves. I'm not syaing it will be easy for Nadal as it wont...a guy like Ferrer in this form is going to be tough for anyone...but Ferrer will start to lose length and power after a couple of hours.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Wed 06 Jun 2012, 9:00 pm

hawkeye wrote:I am a Nadal fan but I admit I am a bit scared of Ferrer. Maybe I should have cheered harder for Murray...

Hawkeye thumbsup , the advantage Ferrer has is he is going to semi with no pressure and he knows he can beat Nadal in a slam as he has done it in the past, and unlike Nole/Fed Nadal cannot run Ferrer out of stamina.

Actually Ferrer will run Nadal out of stamina like he did in AO 2011, its gonna be a battle of wear out and both men are capable of lasting the distance.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 06 Jun 2012, 9:02 pm

Even if Ferrer managed to get ahead at some point in this match I'm not sure he has the nerve to cross the finish line.

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Wed 06 Jun 2012, 9:06 pm

@ Lyd , I actually fear the opposite, Ferrer will make Nadal run all corners and will tire him out, if one guy who will tire out after 3 sets its will be Nadal first, just watch AO 2011, Nadal was completely exhausted after playing brilliant game.

Time and again people forger Ferrer's stamina just cause he don't beat big boys to win big tournaments, certainly he doesnt lag behind Nadal when it comes to stamina or will power.

I agree Nadal has a better game than Ferrer in clay, the main advantage Nadal has over Ferrer is the way he construct the points or you cant say the strategy of the game, Ferrer doesn't plan things out, but when ever he came with a plan he has succeded against Nadal at thew worst pushed Nadal to extreme.

This time DF will come out with a game plan and he now knows Rafa in and out, in both the clay encounters this year he gave Rafa a tough fight but yes wilted after it, but this time even if Rafa wins first 2 sets he wont wilt down. He is believing in himself thats a dangerous sign for Rafa. thumbsup

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by Chydremion Wed 06 Jun 2012, 9:07 pm

Ferrer to bend over.

Chydremion

Back to top Go down

Post by Seifer Almasy Wed 06 Jun 2012, 9:09 pm

I don't care who beats Mumm-Ra, I just want him out!

Seifer Almasy

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Wed 06 Jun 2012, 9:11 pm

lydian wrote:Not only that BB...Nadal is simply a better tennis player than Murray. Results speak for themselves.

Nadal will move Ferrer around relentlessly with spin and unlike Murray wont break down after 10 shots. Plus his 2nd serve isnt a liability. Plus he has a much better FH - a lethal weapon. Nadal will also take him out wide with the lefty serve. Nadal's mental strength will also slowly unravel Ferrer who wont get a moment to relax, unlike Murray who goes walkabout a fair bit.

Ferrer playing Nadal at Barcelona or Rome (where Nadal bagelled him 2nd set) was one thing, at RG its completely another. Nadal gets better as slams go deeper and he'll be completely up for this challenge. Ferrer might push him hard for 1 set, perhaps even take the first - esp. as Nadal is a slow starter, but he'll eventually take complete control.
There's quite a lot in there I don't accept unreservedly.

I think Murray has all the tools Nadal has, and a few more, but he is severely technically deficient in forehand and 2nd serve. Certainly I think the mental strength thing Nadal portrays is really about confidence that he'll outlast the opponent and that he plays with low risk. When Djokovic showed he could last even longer, and could attack, the mental approach of Rafa fell part and he blew things taking risks.

Last edited by bogbrush on Wed 06 Jun 2012, 9:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Wed 06 Jun 2012, 9:12 pm

Agreed emancipator...

IC, Ferrer beat an obviously injured Nadal (hamstring) at AO11...it had nothing to do with stamina. Before AO11 Ferrer hasnt beaten Nadal since 2007. Since then its 11-1 to Nadal...and as I say the "1" for Ferrer was that AO11/hamstring match.

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/australian-open/dodgy-hamstring-costs-nadal-quarter-final-20110126-1a5hw.html
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Wed 06 Jun 2012, 9:16 pm

Whatever it is BB Nadal wins a whole lot more than Murray...and wins the big events, I think there is more to it than just stamina and low risk.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Wed 06 Jun 2012, 9:26 pm

lydian wrote:Agreed emancipator...

IC, Ferrer beat an obviously injured Nadal (hamstring) at AO11...it had nothing to do with stamina. Before AO11 Ferrer hasnt beaten Nadal since 2007. Since then its 11-1 to Nadal...and as I say the "1" for Ferrer was that AO11/hamstring match.

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/australian-open/dodgy-hamstring-costs-nadal-quarter-final-20110126-1a5hw.html

Come on Lyd now start all these injury and nonsense, Ferrer beat Nadal fair and square, stop being a core Nadal worshiper for who their idol can lose only if he is injured.

Ferrer can last with Nadal on stamina count, its proven several times and it will be proven come friday too.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Wed 06 Jun 2012, 9:34 pm

IC...hmmm, that was uncalled for. I actually take that as a gross insult...I even posted you a bl**dy link clearly discussing the AO11 match. Did you even watch the game? Perhaps you can get your facts straight before denigrating others.

As Peter Jones would say "I'm out" OK
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Wed 06 Jun 2012, 9:39 pm

bogbrush wrote:

I think Murray has all the tools Nadal has, and a few more, but he is severely technically deficient in forehand and 2nd serve.

Huh! Nadal's whole game is built around his scary forehand. Most of his tactics involve getting it into play. When I think of Nadal playing at his best it's when he stands at the centre of the court hiting forehand after forehand to either side of the court whilst his victim... sorry opponant scampers from side to side. Also Nadal's second serve is pretty exceptional too... What were you saying about Murray having all the "tools Nadal has"?

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Wed 06 Jun 2012, 9:49 pm

Well as a Nadal fan I say:
Murray has a better backhand.
Murray has a better 1st serve.
Murray has a better drop shot.
Murray has a better return of serve.

Apart from that I think Nadal is ahead.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by jersey Wed 06 Jun 2012, 9:56 pm

jersey

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Wed 06 Jun 2012, 9:59 pm

David Ferrer has no chance for sure. I mean he has a chance everyone always has a chance. But I have stated from the start of this tournament that only one player could beat Nadal at RG and that is Djokovic. His form hasn't been there but if he can find it on the last weekend he is the only one in the field that Nadal really has to worry about. And even that match Nadal would most likely be a heavy favorite. So Ferrer I think can take a set and make it a real fight for 4 sets. I would be stunned if it went 5 or for ferrer to win. Nadal frankly is the greatest clay courter of all time and it will take a player with a lot more weight of shot and natural ability to dislodge over 5 sets with the way he is playing.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Wed 06 Jun 2012, 10:57 pm

Ferrer has as much chance of beating Nadal as Barry McGuigan has of beating Lennox Lewis. Ferrer was nothing special today only Murray played his usual brand of hit and run 10 yards behind the baseline and hope the opponents fluffs it kind of stuff.

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Wed 06 Jun 2012, 11:01 pm

i would be very surprised if ferrer took a set.

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Wed 06 Jun 2012, 11:01 pm

lydian wrote:IC...hmmm, that was uncalled for. I actually take that as a gross insult...I even posted you a bl**dy link clearly discussing the AO11 match. Did you even watch the game? Perhaps you can get your facts straight before denigrating others.

As Peter Jones would say "I'm out" OK

So if you take it as a gross insult you will start to use aggressive languages right? censored . Ferrer beat him fair and square and Nadal did do the drama queen act that time around. There is no excuses for the loss. To add more I saw the match but I bet you didn't, coz no ways an injured guy could move like Nadal did in 2nd and 3rd set, go watch the match first picard .

Thats not the first time Ferrer beat Nadal in a slam, he did beat Rafa in USO too, I am not sure you watched that match, if not go watch it.

@ Socal,

Fair to believe Nole can beat Rafa in FO 2012 coz he proved last year enough he can take Rafa down on clay, but I believe only this Ferrer can bring him down this year, whether you are right or I am time will say , so lets wait for few more days. OK Your fav player anyways have another bigger match to worry about before he could think of finals against Rafa, and if Rafa doesn't make it his chances of winning the title only gonna get better. Very Happy , coz if Rafa does it he takes the title by shattering Djoko dreams.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Wed 06 Jun 2012, 11:06 pm

Super D Boon wrote:Ferrer was nothing special today only Murray played his usual brand of hit and run 10 yards behind the baseline and hope the opponents fluffs it kind of stuff.
Very Happy Super D Boon say that to Murray supporters laughing , you may be right but the outcome is Ferrer is growing in confidence and he is at the form of his life, I am not saying he will for sure beat Rafa down, I am just saying only he can do it and if he can't Rafa will take the title.

So Ferrer's chance of beating Rafa could be 10%, but its still better than the other 2 thumbsup

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Wed 06 Jun 2012, 11:10 pm

I don't think anyone can touch Nadal this year. Federer has a mental block against Nadal and Djoko will be cream crackered by the time he gets to him. Nadal all the way and it pains me to say it.

I thought Murray looked good when he chose to come in more and take the ball on earlier. Just don't know why he doesn't do it more often. Given he's 6ft 3 he looks intimidating and looks the part when he attacks more. I can't understand why he allows himself to be dragged around the court like a rag doll all the time.

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Wed 06 Jun 2012, 11:19 pm

Yup you may be right, the form Nadal displays is scary, but I am gonna watch the Nadal- Ferrer match anyways hoping the warrior would nail it this time around.

It was so sad on JO's part he almost did it yet the job wasn't completed, hope Ferrer doesnt do the same thing.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Wed 06 Jun 2012, 11:39 pm

Aggressive? lol. Perhaps you would like being called "a core worshipper" when all you did was simply repeat something that was commonly accepted fact and reported as such clearly and widely both in immediate post-match, on-court interviews and subsequently by other observers in the media? As you watched the AO11 match you'll have clearly heard Ferrer say in the interview afterwards....

"This is one big victory for me, but it's not like a victory really," seventh-seeded Ferrer said on court after the match. "He was playing with injury...and I had luck. But I played my game."

Nadal, who appeared to have tears in his eyes during a changeover while trailing 3-0 in the third set, took a medical timeout for an apparent leg injury after three games. He was clearly out of sorts, failing to chase down balls that he would ordinarily return easily. Nadal, who didn't bother chasing the winner on match point, won last year's French Open, Wimbledon and U.S. Open. When pressed about the injury, Nadal said: "I don't have to tell you what I felt on the court, but it is obvious I did not feel at my best. I had a problem with the match at the very beginning, and after that, the match was almost over."

Nadal clearly finished the match out of respect for his friend and countryman. Yes Ferrer beat Nadal years ago at USO, but clearly it was before Nadal had matured on HCs fully. Since 2007 its been 11-1 to Nadal across clay and hard. So yes Ferrer has a chance...but a very very small one.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Thu 07 Jun 2012, 12:51 am

lydian wrote:Aggressive? lol. Perhaps you would like being called "a core worshipper" when all you did was simply repeat something that was commonly accepted fact and reported as such clearly and widely both in immediate post-match, on-court interviews and subsequently by other observers in the media? As you watched the AO11 match you'll have clearly heard Ferrer say in the interview afterwards....

Thats the respect Ferrer gives to his opponents, but you robbed Ferrer's win by citing thats the only reason he won, I see that as worshiper finding excuse for his/her hero's loss. steam

On that day Ferrer would have won Rafa whether he was injured or not, that was the performance of Ferrer on that day, and to still claim he can't win was just a rubbish excuse. Headscratch

I don't mind even if you say Ferrer have no chance come Friday , that's entirely your opinion which is fine and perfectly acceptable, but to say what a result happened in the past is asterisked is ultra kiddish.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Thu 07 Jun 2012, 12:56 am

No it's not.
Nadal had won 3 slams in a row before that remember.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Thu 07 Jun 2012, 1:02 am

invisiblecoolers wrote:
On that day Ferrer would have won Rafa whether he was injured or not, that was the performance of Ferrer on that day, and to still claim he can't win was just a rubbish excuse. Headscratch

It really isn't. Very unlikely Ferrer would have won if not for the injury, Ferrer noticed that Nadal couldn't turn left and exploited that area (as all the commentators noticed) so you have to give credit to Ferrer there.
Why would Ferrer make up injury excuses for Nadal, that's not respect that would be a farce.

You have to applaud Ferrer's concentration though, many would be unsure of what to do against an injured opponent but he kept his mind clear and executed his plan brilliantly.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Thu 07 Jun 2012, 1:04 am

I must say Ferrer has played very well do far this RG only dropping 1 set so far.

Knocking out Nadal won't be easy though Smile Let's see what happens.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Thu 07 Jun 2012, 1:09 am

I concur imbl.
Im sorry IC but i cannot see any credence to your reasoning it just isn't plausible.
If you watch the match again nadal was quite clearly hindered by the injury.
I think though ferrer was one of the worst players he would have wanted to play then as he makes you earn every point and perhaps rafa could have made it closer or perhaps even won against a wawrinka, dolgopolov or a berdych.

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Thu 07 Jun 2012, 1:18 am

Yes spot on Luvsports. thumbsup The last person you want to play when injured is Ferrer... so focused and so determined.

Btw this is the BBC live text extract during the match (I just googled it):

Nadal 1-3 Ferrer*
After gingerly returning to his baseline, Rafa opens game four by dumping a groundstroke into the net. The 24-year-old is struggling badly and, despite picking up a point, Ferrer reels off a couple of winners that Nadal doesn't even move for. So two break points to the man from Javea and he takes the first with a backhand down the line. Ferrer breaks to restore his early advantage. For how long Rafa will continue is anyone's guess.
* denotes next server
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/9373831.stm

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Thu 07 Jun 2012, 1:56 am

LuvSports! wrote:I concur imbl.
Im sorry IC but i cannot see any credence to your reasoning it just isn't plausible.
I think though ferrer was one of the worst players he would have wanted to play then as he makes you earn every point and perhaps rafa could have made it closer or perhaps even won against a wawrinka, dolgopolov or a berdych.

@ Luvsports, Ferrer was leading Rafa before Rafa cited some problems, its not Ferrer's issue whether Rafa was injured or not, if Rafa was unwell before match he shouldn't have played the match, if Rafa got injured in the mid match thats part and parcel of sports, what is the guarantee Rafa would not fall sick in the mid match of RG 2012? What has to be noted is Ferrer won Rafa in slams twice, he has done it. thumbsup

Yes Rafa is in vintage form this RG and yes if he plays his best the remainder of two matches every chance he will lift the cup, but to say Ferrer has no chance coz he never did it is a wrong statement coz he has done it in the past thumbsup

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Thu 07 Jun 2012, 1:59 am

@ IMBL

Injury at the mid game is part and parcel of sports, you don't discredit a spirited performance by an underdog for no mistake of his, Ferrer deserved the win, no injury excuse need to be raised. thumbsup

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Thu 07 Jun 2012, 2:05 am

yloponom68 wrote:Agree that Ferrer is one of the better hopes for someone to beat Nadal. His "never say die," is crucial to anyone playing Nadal on clay, without huge heart, no one will take him out on this surface.

That said, I also agree with Kemet at 3:57pm's post.

Ferrer simply lacks the big weapon needed to get free points off Nadal, all the more important on clay, where, the latter is best at turning the match into a war of attrition.

It will be interesting to see the semi with Djokovic v Federer; whilst they have had tough matches to get there, they must also be aware that a match against Nadal, should he make the final, be requiring of great stamina, speed and reserves of energy.

Nadal would know that if he wins one of the first two sets, it's going to be a mental mark in his opponent's mind, because that means at least four gruelling sets.

It's very hard to see anyone at this point, with performaces and current form in mind, being likely to beat Nadal. Now, that said, one has to execute on the day, but Nadal is unlikely to take that dramatic a "dip" in form, unless he is pushed into doing so by such quality from his opponent - again not likely.

Well done to Ferrer today, I think of him as a terrier, who gets a grip and isn't letting go from his point of view, it's up to the opponent to "shake" him off themselves. Murray didn't have it today, attitude didn't look great but perhaps some of that was frustration at having a physical "issue," not sure.

So we move on to the semifinals, with a repeat of last year's "blockbuster" with Federer v Djokovic - both tired, and wanting this one badly. I think that Federer knowing that he would probably face Nadal, will have less pressure, than will Djokovic. We'll see.

Nadal to take out Ferrer, probably in 3 sets, first of which might be close but then look for Nadal to "break away," and finish off in a blaze of winners.

Excellent post thumbsup

The one more thing for Ferrer is he got nothing to lose against Rafa, a loss in semi would still be appreciated coz he lost to the GOAT of clay in RG, but a win means massive Ferrer might be over joyed that he wouldn't even care to turn up for the finals Very Happy , in comparision Fed and Djoko would play Nadal with a lot of pressure and when you give a hint to Rafa that your are nervous he will go for a quick kill. Very Happy

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Thu 07 Jun 2012, 2:12 am

invisiblecoolers wrote:
LuvSports! wrote:I concur imbl.

@ Luvsports, Ferrer was leading Rafa before Rafa cited some problems, its not Ferrer's issue whether Rafa was injured or not, if Rafa was unwell before match he shouldn't have played the match, if Rafa got injured in the mid match thats part and parcel of sports, what is the guarantee Rafa would not fall sick in the mid match of RG 2012? What has to be noted is Ferrer won Rafa in slams twice, he has done it. thumbsup

Yes Rafa is in vintage form this RG and yes if he plays his best the remainder of two matches every chance he will lift the cup, but to say Ferrer has no chance coz he never did it is a wrong statement coz he has done it in the past thumbsup

so what? he has broken rafa a number of times to lead and then been broken back as was the case in the barcelona final of this year where neither player was injured and rafa came back, i was routing for ferrer big time, and won in straight sets, though it should have gone 3. Just because you break someone early does not mean you will go on to win the entire best of 5 set match, federer is testament to that especially vs rafa.
I feel you and Lydian are both right but are perhaps the two extremes and neither is willing to yield any common ground.

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by CAS Thu 07 Jun 2012, 2:42 am

Every match Ferrer and Nadal play I start to think Ferrer has a chance, but every time Nadal somehow comes through. They are very even for one set, Nadal scraps through a tiebreak or breaks at 6-5 and Ferrer's level dips more and more as he realises he should have won the first set and Nadal smells blood and is all over him like a rash

CAS

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Thu 07 Jun 2012, 2:51 am

One thing to note; on TSN they showed Rafa having his left knee packed in ice after the match. He didn't even have time to take his socks off, you could see them covered in clay. Nothing went onto the right knee.

El Mugro made him run everywhere today, Nadal really had to work to stay in the rallies, hence the numerous unforced errors from his opponent.

I know someone else who will make him run a lot in the semi. In fact, I know of someone in the opposite half of the draw who might keep him on court for 6 hours.

It may not be as clear as it seems.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Thu 07 Jun 2012, 3:36 am

CAS wrote:Every match Ferrer and Nadal play I start to think Ferrer has a chance, but every time Nadal somehow comes through. They are very even for one set, Nadal scraps through a tiebreak or breaks at 6-5 and Ferrer's level dips more and more as he realises he should have won the first set and Nadal smells blood and is all over him like a rash

Its more of mental bloc with Ferrer when he lose a close 1st set, he then starts to question himself can he win from here on, thats the problem, I guess this time around he will go for it as the stake is huge and nothing to lose. thumbsup

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Thu 07 Jun 2012, 4:42 am

[quote="LuvSports!"][quote="invisiblecoolers"]
LuvSports! wrote:
I feel you and Lydian are both right but are perhaps the two extremes and neither is willing to yield any common ground.

I got nothing personal against Lyd, i know he is a good poster here and I do have respect for him, opinions can differ, but I didnt like the way Ferrer was discredited for his win, a win is a win, thats all I want to state. thumbsup

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Thu 07 Jun 2012, 5:33 am

ATP has a briefing on Ferrer- Nadal match.

Nadal has done better than Ferrer in almost every department including fastest serve. Nadal's stats are real scary, Ferrer betters him only in the amound of opponent serves broken.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 07 Jun 2012, 6:35 am

invisiblecoolers wrote:
lydian wrote:Aggressive? lol. Perhaps you would like being called "a core worshipper" when all you did was simply repeat something that was commonly accepted fact and reported as such clearly and widely both in immediate post-match, on-court interviews and subsequently by other observers in the media? As you watched the AO11 match you'll have clearly heard Ferrer say in the interview afterwards....

Thats the respect Ferrer gives to his opponents, but you robbed Ferrer's win by citing thats the only reason he won, I see that as worshiper finding excuse for his/her hero's loss. Only Ferrer can Beat Nadal - Nadal makes a mince meat of Ferrer 2650018817

On that day Ferrer would have won Rafa whether he was injured or not, that was the performance of Ferrer on that day, and to still claim he can't win was just a rubbish excuse. Only Ferrer can Beat Nadal - Nadal makes a mince meat of Ferrer 3187153522

I don't mind even if you say Ferrer have no chance come Friday , that's entirely your opinion which is fine and perfectly acceptable, but to say what a result happened in the past is asterisked is ultra kiddish.

Invisiblecoolers: Well-argued, power to you !!

Lydian: Sour-grapes, shame on you !!!

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Thu 07 Jun 2012, 7:20 am

bogbrush wrote:One thing to note; on TSN they showed Rafa having his left knee packed in ice after the match. He didn't even have time to take his socks off, you could see them covered in clay. Nothing went onto the right knee.

El Mugro made him run everywhere today, Nadal really had to work to stay in the rallies, hence the numerous unforced errors from his opponent.

I know someone else who will make him run a lot in the semi. In fact, I know of someone in the opposite half of the draw who might keep him on court for 6 hours.

It may not be as clear as it seems.

I agree with BB about it not being as clear cut on Nadal winning as everyone makes it, I watched the match and frankly this was the first half way decent player Nadal has played this tournament and Almagro really should have won that first set and then who knows. But Almagro who is the first guy that could really hit a ball that hurt Nadal had Nadal on the ropes. Is he the best clay courter I have ever seen? Yes absolutely, has he been playing well, again the answer is affirmative. But I think novak is not going to wilt like Almagro. So is nadal the favorite yes, but it isn't anywhere near as certain as some people are making it.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next