The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Inat

3 posters

Go down

Inat Empty Inat

Post by hawkeye Fri 08 Jun 2012, 9:45 pm

I was curious about the Serbian word "Inat" being discussed on another thread about Djokovic's "Houdini" like qualities. This is the definition.

The meaning of the Serbian word inat in a bilingual dictionary (like Morton Benson’sis often defined in terms of “malice”, “spite”, or “grudge”. None of these is a direct equivalent and each contains only a partial component of the emotional complexities the word suggests to the Serbian ear.

A closer correspondence for inat would be, in the words of Dragan Milovic, “an attitude of proud defiance, stubborness and
self-preservation - sometimes to the detriment of everyone else or even oneself.”

The word inat most recently acquired notoriety as a description of the Serbian mentality in 1999, during Nato’s bombing of the country;
many Serb citizens proudly displayed a “target” symbol on their coat, or even defiantly held annual public events despite the air raids. But
in its way, this was only the latest manifestation of a long historical trend.

http://www.opendemocracy.net/arts/article_2233.jsp

I wonder what Uncle Toni would make of all that?

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Inat Empty Re: Inat

Post by Jahu Fri 08 Jun 2012, 11:33 pm

Absolutely silly thread, totally related to whatever serbian propaganda/agenda you are trying to push here.

"Inat" is not a serbian word. It's Turkish word like so many words in Balkans, left from turkish rule.

It means any of these; obstinacy, stubbornness, persistence, pertinacity, contumacy, doggedness, spite, tenacity, waywardness intransigent.

It's nothing to do with mentality or gained any notoriety, it's a personal spite when you do something because of something else, contrary to what is expected to be done, i.e related to inside rage to help sportsman or motivate him.

Absolutely taken out of context from you here and much less what uncle Toni has to think about mythical propaganda.

Stick to your anti-Murray/Lendl agenda.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Sat 09 Jun 2012, 7:47 am

Jahu.

Huh! Me trying to push Serbian propaganda? I'm not Serbian and know little of Serbian culture. I just saw the word being discussed and googled it. The definition that came up said it was a Serbian word.

The definition IMO sort of fits with some of the more um... emotional Djokovic fans that take over tennis internet sites when Djokovic wins a match. For example a certain poster that spammed this site last night. that I might be tempted to describe them and their actions with the words you have used in your definition of Inat. ie obstinacy, stubbornness, persistence, pertinacity, contumacy, doggedness, spite, tenacity, waywardness intransigent.

Anyone who knows anything about Uncle Toni would be able to make a good guess about what he would think about "mythical propaganda". Uncle Toni appears to be quite sensible.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Sat 09 Jun 2012, 12:06 pm

A closer correspondence for inat would be, in the words of Dragan Milovic, “an attitude of proud defiance, stubborness and
self-preservation - sometimes to the detriment of everyone else or even oneself.”

And what is wrong with that? Sounds like good qualities for a sportsman to have. I don't like the tone of what you're saying here hawkeye. You seem to be subtly criticising a whole nation, without regard for what suffering that common difiant attitude might have been born from.

Sounds very disrespectful. If I was a Serb I think I'd be very offended.

I agree that you should stick to the monotonous and ridiculous anti Murray articles. While they are childish and boring, they at least aren't as insulting as this one.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum