The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tennis Players Chosen As Flag-Bearers For Olympics

+2
lydian
hawkeye
6 posters

Go down

Tennis Players Chosen As Flag-Bearers For Olympics Empty Tennis Players Chosen As Flag-Bearers For Olympics

Post by hawkeye Fri 22 Jun 2012, 6:59 am

Tennis has only recently been re-introduced at the Olympic games. It's stars are already taking high profile positions in their respective teams. Already 4 players have been chosen as flag bearers for the opening ceremony. Djokovic (Serbia), Nadal (Spain), Federer (Switzerland) and Sharapova (Russia).

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Tennis Players Chosen As Flag-Bearers For Olympics Empty Re: Tennis Players Chosen As Flag-Bearers For Olympics

Post by Guest Fri 22 Jun 2012, 8:30 am

It's good to see countries acknowledging top tennis players as their prime athletes. Recognising their accomplishments and also their influence.

I hope the next Olympics see's more countries doing the same Smile

For once Hawky something with balance thumbsup

Back to top Go down

Tennis Players Chosen As Flag-Bearers For Olympics Empty Re: Tennis Players Chosen As Flag-Bearers For Olympics

Post by lydian Fri 22 Jun 2012, 8:47 am

What I found bizarre is that Germany is entering no players to the Olympics tennis singles draw because the German Federation (not the Olympic Committee) says the player has to have a ranking of 24 or under. Crazy!!!

The event is on grass and German Kohlscreiber has just been Nadal, and German Haas has just beaten Federer! And yet they are ineligible to enter!
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Chydremion Fri 22 Jun 2012, 9:55 am

lydian wrote:What I found bizarre is that Germany is entering no players to the Olympics tennis singles draw because the German Federation (not the Olympic Committee) says the player has to have a ranking of 24 or under. Crazy!!!

The event is on grass and German Kohlscreiber has just been Nadal, and German Haas has just beaten Federer! And yet they are ineligible to enter!

Same story in Belgium. Rochus and Malisse (who are pretty good on grass) meet the international norms to participate, but not the Belgian. One of the requirements was a recent fourth round at a grand slam. Only young David Goffin is selected.

Chydremion

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Fri 22 Jun 2012, 2:07 pm

Switzerland and Serbia don't really have a whole lot to choose from - Federer carried the flag in 2004 and 2008 also. Seems a shame Cancellara has never been given the chance.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Fri 22 Jun 2012, 2:17 pm

It's true for Serbia and Spain there would be less choice. But Spain and Russia?

I'm surprised about Germany and Belguim. In fact I'm beginning to wonder what the draw will be like at the Olympics. I was assuming it would be similar to a masters but now I'm not so sure...

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 22 Jun 2012, 2:18 pm

hawkeye wrote:... Djokovic (Serbia), Nadal (Spain), Federer (Switzerland) and Sharapova (Russia).
It is reinforcing brand names - it will make their personal sponsors happy, and will lead to more and better sponsorship deals in future and increase their rates and fees for advertising.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 22 Jun 2012, 2:21 pm

Chydremion wrote:
lydian wrote:What I found bizarre is that Germany is entering no players to the Olympics tennis singles draw because the German Federation (not the Olympic Committee) says the player has to have a ranking of 24 or under. Crazy!!!

Same story in Belgium. Rochus and Malisse (who are pretty good on grass) meet the international norms to participate, but not the Belgian. One of the requirements was a recent fourth round at a grand slam. Only young David Goffin is selected.
As Federer has said in the past - a best of three sets tournament is completely different to a grand slam tournament ... and yes one has to factor in that it will be a grass tournament.

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Fri 22 Jun 2012, 2:22 pm

Will Tomic be at the Olympics? Australia will be under a lot of pressure to atleast have someone there.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Fri 22 Jun 2012, 2:26 pm

Nore Staat wrote:

It is reinforcing brand names - it will make their personal sponsors happy, and will lead to more and better sponsorship deals in future and increase their rates and fees for advertising.

Essentially, this is it. It wouldn't be a shock if the 'people' of these players hadn't contacted their NOCs to ask for the honour of being asked to carry the flag.

I don't think this is something someone like Rafa would do if there wasn't personal benefit, it would be more of an imposition.

That's why I like the idea of flag bearers being less high profile, but with a great past record.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by Calder106 Fri 22 Jun 2012, 2:57 pm

The Great Britain team choses its flag bearer more democratically. I found this quote.

'The British Olympic Association confirmed the exact procedure for choosing that person is still to be finalised. It will however, start with a vote, with each sport getting to nominate one athlete.

That list is then narrowed down to the chosen individual by a panel of athlete representatives and the BOA's Chef de Mission Andy Hunt. The choice is usually announced the day before the ceremony, but this year the BOA are likely to make the announcement on July 23, four days before.'

I would expect it will be someone like Chris Hoy or Ben Ainslie

Calder106

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Fri 22 Jun 2012, 3:04 pm

I would like it to be Ainslie. It's funny, I can picture him having done it before, but he hasn't. I don't know where that image has come from.

Just not Beckham. Perhaps Wiggins after wins the TDF in July, that would be pretty good.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 22 Jun 2012, 3:11 pm

A' yes Ben Ainslie - it just has to be Ben Ainslie.

If it was a cyclist then I would give it to one of the ladies Nicole Cooke or Victoria Pendleton - but I think Ben Ainslie is the outstanding candidate (assuming it doesn't clash with the preparations of their events).

If Bradley Wiggins wins the TDF well they might as well knight him there and then and give him sports "personality" of the year award.

Bradley has also done phenomenally well in previous Olympics - so yes Wiggins would be a worthy choice for flag bearing duties.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down