The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Englands 7 Penalty Shootout Defeats

2 posters

Go down

Englands 7 Penalty Shootout Defeats Empty Englands 7 Penalty Shootout Defeats

Post by harrpau7 Sat 30 Jun 2012, 4:16 pm

Since England were eliminated by Italy a few days ago, several people have said that they have lost 7 times in shootouts, however I can only recall 6.

World Cup 90 SF v Germany
Euro 96 SF v Germany
World Cup 98 v Argentina
Euro 2004 v Portugal
World Cup 2006 v Portugal
Euro 2012 v Italy

Whats the other one they lost, any idea?

harrpau7

Back to top Go down

Englands 7 Penalty Shootout Defeats Empty Re: Englands 7 Penalty Shootout Defeats

Post by Duty281 Sat 30 Jun 2012, 4:18 pm

That's all there is I think, England did win one penalty shootout against Spain at Euro 96.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Englands 7 Penalty Shootout Defeats Empty Re: Englands 7 Penalty Shootout Defeats

Post by Guest Sat 30 Jun 2012, 4:26 pm

I just found this:

England's overall record in penalty shoot-outs is lost seven, won one. In addition to the seven shoot-outs at major tournaments (see my answer below), the Three Lions took part in one at a pre-World Cup friendly tournament in Morocco in May 1998. They lost it 4-3 to Belgium. England, it seems, just don't take penalties seriously.

EDIT: Duty I am slightly stunned you didn't know this fella!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 30 Jun 2012, 4:33 pm

The shootout:

1-0 Van Meir.

Rob Lee shot saved by Van der Walle.

2-0 Borkelmans.

2-1 Owen.

3-1 Mpenza.

3-2 Beckham.

Scifo shot saved by Martyn.

3-3 Merson.

4-3 Van der Walle.

Les Ferdinand shot saved by Van der Walle.

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 30 Jun 2012, 4:40 pm

Wow didn't know that. You learn something new every day.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 30 Jun 2012, 4:43 pm

I can vaguely remember it now. I'm sure Owen scored his first international goal that day.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down