The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kell Brook

+18
mobilemaster8
Duty281
hogey
TheMackemMawler
Atila
ShockmasterV2
Rowley
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
ShahenshahG
TRUSSMAN66
manos de piedra
Lance
John Bloody Wayne
Imperial Ghosty
TopHat24/7
ONETWOFOREVER
azania
22 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Kell Brook Empty Kell Brook

Post by azania Fri 06 Jul 2012, 9:25 pm

Sky trying to hype this kid up and doing a good job.......until Kell speaks. This kid should get someone to do the talking for him much like a 'manager' from WWE.

azania

Back to top Go down

Kell Brook Empty Re: Kell Brook

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Fri 06 Jul 2012, 9:32 pm

He is a fighter, he fights. Talking is a bonus not priority.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 06 Jul 2012, 9:42 pm

In this day and age it is more of a priority than before.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 06 Jul 2012, 9:59 pm

alma wrote:
ONETWOFOREVER wrote:He is a fighter, he fights. Talking is a bonus not priority.

how many of the greats had zero personality though I wonder?

Holmes? Lewis?

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri 06 Jul 2012, 10:28 pm

Ali is more in the minority than the majority when it comes to personality, not many great fighters are known for their mouth.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Fri 06 Jul 2012, 10:40 pm

Bob Foster 1 of the greatest light heavyweights in history was quite as a mouse. To many Bob Foster could be Joe Bloggs for all they care not 1 of the hardest hitting fighters ever.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Fri 06 Jul 2012, 10:51 pm

Seems to be since Ali everyone feels the need to try and look "charismatic" and create some genuine "bad blood". Most of them failing miserably obviously.

Then again, there are fighters like Paulie who are good at talking, no matter who/what they're talking about.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 06 Jul 2012, 10:55 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:Ali is more in the minority than the majority when it comes to personality, not many great fighters are known for their mouth.

They had a certain X factor. Brook has neither.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri 06 Jul 2012, 11:23 pm

Bit too early to say that, only at the end of his career can you really judge him

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Sat 07 Jul 2012, 8:21 am

from what ive heard brook is a piece of work. i get the impression when hes speaking on camera hes very false ad having to constantly watch what hes saying. its not easy to speak well when you are constantly trying to hide your real personality and pretend to be something you're not.

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Sat 07 Jul 2012, 10:29 am

Doesnt really bother me to be honest. My priorety is what happens in the ring. Too many people become obsessed with boxers personality and marketability I think.

Haye being a prime example. Supposedly the most exciting heavyweight out there because he yaps but there isnt a heavyweight fight of his I would revisit. Would rather a fighter that didnt have the fanfare but fought good fights.

Im probably in the minority though. I find the nonsense of the likes of Mayweather and Haye quite boring and phoney but most people think they are must see tv. I actually find more understated but genuine personality more interesting. Occassionally you get someone like Toney or Chisora though who seem to be both genuine and have several screws loose which can make for entertaining stuff because they are so unpredictable.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 07 Jul 2012, 11:56 am

I blame Brook's Mum..should have sent him to finishing school!!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 07 Jul 2012, 11:59 am

Don't know about you guys..but I won't be watching it....

because I don't like the way he speaks!! Cool

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sat 07 Jul 2012, 12:08 pm

I dont mind a mouthy fighter to be honest - only ask that they should back up what they say.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sat 07 Jul 2012, 12:26 pm

The constant Nas comparisons from Sky don't help. Nas had charisma and a personality that you loved or hated, he also had an outrageous style that TV loves. Brook has none of this the only thing he has in common with Nas is the Ingles and Sheffield. Galahad is more like Nas.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 07 Jul 2012, 12:32 pm

I think he'll be better than Naz.....certainly a better all-round boxer...

Naz had power, confidence and reflexes..great weapons for sure but he wasn't a great "Boxer"...

it worked though and he deserves great credit but once his confidence and technique was exposed he was like the archetypical bully....

and didn't want to know...

Hope Brook makes it.....he's just what your Country needs.....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sat 07 Jul 2012, 12:32 pm

Naz was also willing to look like an arse to do half the things he did. I remember a comment on one of his entrance vids where he was dancing. " If I danced like that - every one would Leave" had me chuckling for ages. You can tell who puts their heart into it and it becomes funny/interesting/irritating. Others are just irritating

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sat 07 Jul 2012, 12:34 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I think he'll be better than Naz.....certainly a better all-round boxer...

Naz had power, confidence and reflexes..great weapons for sure but he wasn't a great "Boxer"...

it worked though and he deserves great credit but once his confidence and technique was exposed he was like the archetypical bully....

and didn't want to know...

Hope Brook makes it.....he's just what your Country needs.....

I'm not English Very Happy
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Sat 07 Jul 2012, 1:36 pm

I can't stop laughing everytime I hear the bit in the weigh in interview where Kell says he is going to land his "bomthhhssss" lol
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sat 07 Jul 2012, 1:48 pm

manos de piedra wrote:Doesnt really bother me to be honest. My priorety is what happens in the ring. Too many people become obsessed with boxers personality and marketability I think.

Haye being a prime example. Supposedly the most exciting heavyweight out there because he yaps but there isnt a heavyweight fight of his I would revisit. Would rather a fighter that didnt have the fanfare but fought good fights.

Im probably in the minority though. I find the nonsense of the likes of Mayweather and Haye quite boring and phoney but most people think they are must see tv. I actually find more understated but genuine personality more interesting. Occassionally you get someone like Toney or Chisora though who seem to be both genuine and have several screws loose which can make for entertaining stuff because they are so unpredictable.

There are few posts I agree with quite so entirely as I do this one.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Sat 07 Jul 2012, 1:49 pm

John Bloody Wayne wrote:
manos de piedra wrote:Doesnt really bother me to be honest. My priorety is what happens in the ring. Too many people become obsessed with boxers personality and marketability I think.

Each to their own, I find being constantly reminded about how rich Floyd is absolutely fascinating.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sat 07 Jul 2012, 1:56 pm

He's friends with a rappping man, you know.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by ShockmasterV2 Sat 07 Jul 2012, 1:59 pm

With Kell, i think the majority on here appreciate and value his abilities as a boxer, and know that both offensively and defensively, despite the real lack of names he's beat, he looks like a top drawer boxer. But again it comes down to the ability (or lack of) to connect with the audience and gain new fans who are willing to back Kell and take a keen interest in the rest of his career. Sheffield's finest support will only get you so far!

He does seem abit dull, but all it takes is one punch, one round or one fight at the right time to ignite someone's interest. If a casual fan tunes into one of his interviews they'd probably switch over, but if that an tunes into a knockout punch, a gutsy perfomance, a real cracker of a fight, that new found stardom could be right around the corner. Kell to K/O jones round 4.
ShockmasterV2
ShockmasterV2

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Sat 07 Jul 2012, 8:21 pm

John Bloody Wayne wrote:

I agree with manos de piedra's post also, especially the part about Haye. I can only guess that the fans who like Haye's constant bravado are people who rate films solely on how many explosions there are and how many guns are fired.

Hagler and Hearns weren't exactly 'interesting' interviews either. It was their talent in the ring that made them stars, and that's what we should judge fighters on.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sat 07 Jul 2012, 8:47 pm

SugarRayRussell (PBK) wrote:The constant Nas comparisons from Sky don't help. Nas had charisma and a personality that you loved or hated, he also had an outrageous style that TV loves. Brook has none of this the only thing he has in common with Nas is the Ingles and Sheffield. Galahad is more like Nas.

Without the punch.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sat 07 Jul 2012, 8:49 pm

Atila wrote:
John Bloody Wayne wrote:

I agree with manos de piedra's post also, especially the part about Haye. I can only guess that the fans who like Haye's constant bravado are people who rate films solely on how many explosions there are and how many guns are fired.

Hagler and Hearns weren't exactly 'interesting' interviews either. It was their talent in the ring that made them stars, and that's what we should judge fighters on.

Floyd without the mouth would be like Pernell. Great boxer but only known to hardcore boxing fans. Would that be good for boxing to be consigned to a paragraph in the inside back page?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sat 07 Jul 2012, 8:50 pm

The thing with Naz was that he was dangerous and could back up the talk.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sat 07 Jul 2012, 8:51 pm

Pacquiao and Cotto have no trouble making headlines without Mayweather. Without him, others would seem better by lack of comparison.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sat 07 Jul 2012, 8:54 pm

Manny will be talked about long after he's gone. Cotto will be forgotten up until the IBHOF entries are announced 5 years after he quits. Who talks about Pernell now who arguably is a better boxer than Cotto, Manny and Floyd?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sat 07 Jul 2012, 9:08 pm

Az

Cotto is a fan fav fighter he will not be foggoten as you say. He will be remembered as Quarry was an entertaining fighter who packed out arenas. These type of fighters live long in the memory.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sat 07 Jul 2012, 9:10 pm

azania wrote:Who talks about Pernell now who arguably is a better boxer than Cotto, Manny and Floyd?

Boxing fans.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 07 Jul 2012, 9:13 pm

Think Whittaker is kind of forgotten by the actual sports fan because he tended to stink....More respected than loved!!

But the purists regard him as great.......which he is..

Kind of agree with Az about Cotto.....Think he's a very good fighter around at a good time....

Nothing exceptional about him..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sat 07 Jul 2012, 11:48 pm

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:Az

Cotto is a fan fav fighter he will not be foggoten as you say. He will be remembered as Quarry was an entertaining fighter who packed out arenas. These type of fighters live long in the memory.

He will be forgotten. Who talks about him now? Unfortunately he will be best remembered for losing against Floyd and Manny. A ledger on their record.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sat 07 Jul 2012, 11:52 pm

John Bloody Wayne wrote:
azania wrote:Who talks about Pernell now who arguably is a better boxer than Cotto, Manny and Floyd?

Boxing fans.

Yes and when his name is mentioned it will be followed by "oh yes, I almost forgot about him.....great boxer". When Floyd is mentioned, several adjectives will follow. When Manny is mentioned 8 division world champ will be mentioned. When Cotto is mentioned, Manny and Floyd's name will follow. When Pernell is mentioned, people go scrambling for boxrec and you tube.

Had Pernell got an attitude, we will be talking about him as being a great boxer with authority and not left to hardcore fans to remind us of his skills.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Sun 08 Jul 2012, 12:16 am

Alright Az, the guys that scramble for youtube or boxrec when Pernell is mentioned are either young guys that weren't born or guys that are just getting into the sport. Theres no shame in that. I wasn't born when Dempsey or Ray Robinson were around so youtube is my only source of action since I don't have a VHS recorder anymore. Just saying..
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Sun 08 Jul 2012, 12:44 am

Its funny some my friends from the other side of the pond who i know from inside the game have been telling me to lump on Jones bigtime for this fight according to them he is top class and properly underrated by the media and fans over here, so based on that i would say that Brook has done very well tonight and shown that he has the heart to go with his undoubted boxing skills.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 08 Jul 2012, 12:45 am

TheMackemMawler wrote:Alright Az, the guys that scramble for youtube or boxrec when Pernell is mentioned are either young guys that weren't born or guys that are just getting into the sport. Theres no shame in that. I wasn't born when Dempsey or Ray Robinson were around so youtube is my only source of action since I don't have a VHS recorder anymore. Just saying..

Many passing boxing fans know of SRL, Hagler, Hearns etc. Floyd will be in that category when people talk boxing in 10-20 years time. My point is that Pernell's talents should have people talking about him in the same manner. They dont. He is a tad above Floyd for me as a boxer. If he had charisma, people would be talking more about how great he was.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 08 Jul 2012, 12:47 am

hogey wrote:Its funny some my friends from the other side of the pond who i know from inside the game have been telling me to lump on Jones bigtime for this fight according to them he is top class and properly underrated by the media and fans over here, so based on that i would say that Brook has done very well tonight and shown that he has the heart to go with his undoubted boxing skills.

Exactly. It was a good fight and people expected Jones to fold quickly. The kid is good and its sad how people calling themselves boxing fans are real quick to write Brook off because he didn't blow Jones away. I call it the sound bite MTV generation Y people. Want an instant hit or nothing.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Sun 08 Jul 2012, 12:56 am

Agree with your MTV analogy mate, sadly doing things the right way and working your way to the top is often not enough if you dont have a gimmick in whatever field of endevour you pursue these days.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 08 Jul 2012, 1:02 am

hogey wrote:Agree with your MTV analogy mate, sadly doing things the right way and working your way to the top is often not enough if you dont have a gimmick in whatever field of endevour you pursue these days.

Its not so much his lack of a gimmick, but he's just beaten a very good fighter in an exciting fight and people are still not happy. They expect him to blow Carson away as if he was some club fighter. Jones is not that. Much like you, I have heard some reports from friends of mine in USA who say he is a live guy.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Sun 08 Jul 2012, 8:36 am

Yeah it is kinda sad he isn't automatically at the forefront of people minds when discussing greats. He is one for the purists, general fans tend love blood and guts only.
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 08 Jul 2012, 11:01 am

TheMackemMawler wrote:Yeah it is kinda sad he isn't automatically at the forefront of people minds when discussing greats. He is one for the purists, general fans tend love blood and guts only.

Precisely my point. Floyd is also a purist type of boxer but with an attitude. It is that attitude that makes people sit up and watch him as much as his boxing ability.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 08 Jul 2012, 11:39 am

That fight for Brook last night would have matured and improved him immensely. He'll be a World Champion very soon.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Sun 08 Jul 2012, 11:45 am

I think the critiscism of Brook has been awful. Carson Jones IS a live fighter and is ranked fairly high by boxing organisations across the board. This fight was supposed to be a step up in class to see how Brook coped with a legitimate fighter. I think he did well, ground out a decent decision. Much respect should go to Jones as many people thought he would be blown away (like myself).

He can take positives from the fight in that he was dragged into a trench he probably didn't think was going to be there.

Just needs to improve his stamina IMO.

He also needs to be more ruthless. If I'm honest, he probably could have stopped Jones in the 5th had he continued throwing power shots because they landed at will. But if his stamina is an issue then that's probably why.

Live and learn

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 08 Jul 2012, 12:33 pm

It makes me laugh that when a prospect fights a very good opponent and doesn't blow him away, he gets criticised in the manner some are dishing out at Brook. It takes away all the credit from Jones who is a very good fighter who didn't come here to make Brook look good by lying down.

People need a reality check and find out what boxing is all about.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Sun 08 Jul 2012, 1:21 pm

Boxing fans are a funny old bunch. 24 hours ago people were claiming Brook to be the best that Britain has to offer in the future (I think he is) now the daggers come out just because he gets asked a few questions by a decent fighter in Jones.

Remember Mayweather had some nervy moments against Corely all those years ago.

A good fighter never has it his own way all the time. Im glad the fight went the way it did last night, it was the kick up the backside that Brook so desperatly needed.

It will do wonders for him and I tell you something, he seems to have a decent set of whiskers on him, Jones caught him with some meaty shots and he stood firm and ever backed down.

The people criticizing will be the ones praising him when he blasts someone away claiming they have always been Brook fans.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Sun 08 Jul 2012, 1:23 pm

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:Boxing fans are a funny old bunch. 24 hours ago people were claiming Brook to be the best that Britain has to offer in the future (I think he is) now the daggers come out just because he gets asked a few questions by a decent fighter in Jones.

A good fighter never has it his own way all the time. Im glad the fight went the way it did last night, it was the kick up the backside that Brook so desperatly needed.

It will do wonders for him and I tell you something, he seems to have a decent set of whiskers on him, Jones caught him with some meaty shots and he stood firm and ever backed down.

The people criticizing will be the ones praising him when he blasts someone away claiming they have always been Brook fans.

Couldn't agree more. Well put.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 08 Jul 2012, 1:30 pm

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:Boxing fans are a funny old bunch. 24 hours ago people were claiming Brook to be the best that Britain has to offer in the future (I think he is) now the daggers come out just because he gets asked a few questions by a decent fighter in Jones.

I doubt they are boxing fans. Just guys who watch boxing.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Sun 08 Jul 2012, 1:33 pm

This fight turned in to a test and fair play to Brook for coming through it. Breaking his nose early on will have effected his breathing and stamina. He needs to keep his level of opposition up now though.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun 08 Jul 2012, 1:52 pm

Just the gut check he needed imo

He has never had to go through a war like that and has never really had his chin tested by someone who has power and jones has heavy hands at welter

He showed enough through the first 6 rounds (which where punch perfect btw) to suggest you can put him into world level NOW but with a better conditioner

His nose was streaming blood for 4/5 rounds which would put off the very best and once again was something brook had never experianced before. It affected his breathing and blood was going into his mouth

Not many fighters at 147 could have carried on after taking those shots like jones did

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next